What to wear in October

Signdy

I'm cruising from Venice to Athens on Odyssey Oct 9-16, spending a couple extra days on each end. But I can't quite figure out what kind of daytime clothes to take. Short sleeve tops? Sweaters? Something in between? I expect to spend most of my days exploring ports on my own. Will I want shorts? Is there any need for a swimsuit? Will Venice be much cooler than Athens?

I don't even know what I wear outside in Georgia in October, since I almost always dress for the office! Advice from you cruising veterans is welcome!

I'm cruising from Venice to Athens on Odyssey Oct 9-16, spending a couple extra days on each end. But I can't quite figure out what kind of daytime clothes to take. Short sleeve tops? Sweaters? Something in between? I expect to spend most of my days exploring ports on my own. Will I want shorts? Is there any need for a swimsuit? Will Venice be much cooler than Athens?

I don't even know what I wear outside in Georgia in October, since I almost always dress for the office! Advice from you cruising veterans is welcome!

It has been my experience that you will use your swmsuit..as you are sheltered in the lounges. Otherwise..you must be prepared for changes in weather...thus...layering is the way to go. Lots of people like sweaters..i like a pashmina or shawl..they are very versatile..and fold up small to put in a hand carry when off the ship. Enjoy..this is a wonderful time of the year to be in Europe..not so busy!

I did a cruise from Athens to Alexandria in Oct 2005. (Right before the pirate attack!) I wore a quilted Burberry jacket most days. It was quite windy and usually cool. I would say long pants and long sleeves plus a sweater or jacket will keep you comfortable. It did not feel warm outside until Alexandria.

I cruised the Med. last Oct. ~layering is a must. Take a few sweater's ~also you might want to take an evening wrap as the dining room is usually chilly.

I have found taking mix'n match clothing, for both day and evening, is the easiest way to dress. Also taking several silk scarves will come in handy ~

Have a great cruise!

Martita B

Venice is October is IMHO the best time of year to see it. Crowds are gone and the October light on the city is magnificent, though the weather can be a bit cool. I think along with the layering suggestions above, a pair of gloves and a hat could come in handy.

Enjoy your trip.

Hard to tell about the weather. It seems to depend on what you're used to. Was in Rome a year ago October and in Athens early November. The natives were walking around with winter coats and scarves, but those of us from northern climes (Chicago, Vancouver, Nova Scotia) were perspiring in T shirts. I agree--layering is the way to go.

We have been in the Med numerous times on Seabourn in late Sept to mid Oct and I can tell you the weather can vary substantially from year to year. I always go to www.intellicast.com just before we depart and check their 10day forecast -they have always been almost dead on. Then I adjust my packing accordingly. We leave Wed for three weeks in the Med and have just checked the forecast -- low to mid 70's and a fair number of days with light rain.That means rain coat and water proof shoes and lightweight clothes( I often do sweater sets).

Thanks for asking the question! I will be going from Athens to Venice the week before you do the reverse direction. I appreciate all the responses, and was planning on layers, including socks, scarf, hat and gloves. I was in Munich in August this year, and for 3 days, it was about 58 degrees, rainy, and cold. No where was it hot on that trip (a land tour, not a cruise) except Venice, which hit 80 degrees one day. Those who say the weather in the Mediterranean can be unpredicatable and vary from year to year are correct!

Thanks, everybody. You've saved me from not being prepared for cool weather. I think it's been in the upper 90s for so long here I've forgotten what a cool day feels like!
Yes, I am sympathetic as I live in Nashville...can't wait to see a day in the 80's!!! Layering isi the best....day especially because of the cool mornings and then if the sun comes out I take a layer off. I think air conditioning makes me put another layer on. It's the way to go! And I couldn't live without a couple pashimas. have a great trip!

Archived