Would We Fit In?

notasilverspoooner

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as I just found out about Cruise Cristic. My husband and I our new to cruising and have heard great things concerning Sea Dream Yacht Club. We have been fortunate enough to do a lot of traveling but have never taken such luxurious trip. Things are going pretty good for us and we could afford to take a trip on this line once but it obvious isn’t something we could do every week like most of the folks who take this line.

We are both professionals in our mid 40’s and make okay money but are not loaded. Would we fit in or would we be out of place? We are foodies and like to explore and meet other people.

We are not Champaign and caviar folks but like other drinks and upscale food. We like the fact we will be pampered and share the yacht with only 55 other couples and the crew.

Some upper end lines seem stuffy and pretentious and from what I’ve seen this one isn’t. Please let me know your thoughts so I can talk my husband into this. He thinks people are going to be smoking cigars all day complaining about one of their 600 jaguars with spot of rust LOL.

My husband is in the Army and we aren't loaded by any stretch of the imagination. We took our first SeaDream cruise this past April and loved it! We honestly had a fantastic time! We weren't the only ones onboard who weren't wealthy, either.

We sailed in the Caribbean, which I understand is a bit more casual than the European cruises. Most everyone was very friendly. The ship was mostly populated with professional types, though we did have a crowd of rowdy Brazilians onboard as well.

I think, by your description, you'd fit in fine. The staff on SeaDream manages to be very professional without being too stuffy or pretentious. I think it'll be a trip you'll never forget. We're looking forward to our next cruise as soon as we find out where our next duty station is going to be.

Yes, I'm running into that issue, too. We're thinking about doing the Barbados cruise on SDII, but our airline of choice only has flights to and from there once a week. Maybe it's a sign we should do the transatlantic instead.

If you need any more testimony about SeaDream's laid back atmosphere, allow me to share this anecdote with you. There was a lady on our cruise who had a tiny fan clipped to her tank top and aimed at her cleavage. Everybody thought it was very cool... literally.:eek:

Love your screen name notasilverspooner!!:D That describe me as well;)

I can honestly say that during our four cruises in the Caribbean with SD we, who are now in our later 40s and not loaded by any stretch of the imagination {we drive Volvos not Jags}, never once felt out of place on our SD cruises. It is a very laid back vacation with like minded folks who enjoy good food and drink and great conversation. I can honestly say that we have met folks on our SD cruises with whom we have become good friends.

We have found that the crew and staff pamper you no matter what your station is in the real world. Believe it or not no one sits around comparing bank statements, house values, car types:p

I wish we could cruise every week. You will find that quiet a few of the people on SD are working couples in the various professions. Most are just down to earth people who want to relax and be pampered for a week or so. I have never heard talk of cars, wealth or anything of the sort, you are more likely to run into discussions about food, beaches, some onshore shopping, excursions, the ports of call, etc.

As far a a photographer on board. Unless you bring your own camera or happen to find a few of us who love to take pictures you are not going to find a photographer. In fact, you are not going to find anything except exceptional understated service.

You can get room service anywhere on the ship, though at times the menu is limited, but honestly the outside decks are so nice, that except for a late afternoon snack while changing for dinner or munchies before bed, we never use room service. Well, I really should not say that because sometimes in the afternoon I will have room service delivered pool side or to the top of the yacht bar for a snack.

For more information and quiet a few pictures here is a link to my blog:

http://dreamingonthesea.blogspot.com/

You can find links to my flickr site embedded in the blog.

I just need to show my husband the part where you can get room service anywhere.

The only time we eat room service in the room is for a quick breakfast on occasion ... toasted bagels with cream cheese, lox and all the fixings:D

We do like to order a cheese plate or shrimp cocktail while lounging on a Bali bed in the afternoon ... or sometime an order of fries while sitting at the TOY Bar. I know FT always has a standing order for a cheese tray to snack on while preparing for dinner. I understand from ctbjr that the popcorn is quite tasty after a late night:D

I wish we could cruise every week. You will find that quiet a few of the people on SD are working couples in the various professions. Most are just down to earth people who want to relax and be pampered for a week or so. I have never heard talk of cars, wealth or anything of the sort, you are more likely to run into discussions about food, beaches, some onshore shopping, excursions, the ports of call, etc.

As far a a photographer on board. Unless you bring your own camera or happen to find a few of us who love to take pictures you are not going to find a photographer. In fact, you are not going to find anything except exceptional understated service.

You can get room service anywhere on the ship, though at times the menu is limited, but honestly the outside decks are so nice, that except for a late afternoon snack while changing for dinner or munchies before bed, we never use room service. Well, I really should not say that because sometimes in the afternoon I will have room service delivered pool side or to the top of the yacht bar for a snack.

For more information and quiet a few pictures here is a link to my blog:

http://dreamingonthesea.blogspot.com/

You can find links to my flickr site embedded in the blog.

We are lucky enough to have zqvol as our own personal photographer on our vow renewal cruise:p

The cruise we are looking at departs from St Thomas and ends at San Juan. We will be coming St Louis or Chicago and may just fly to San Juan a day early and take a flight to St Thomas the next morning. There really are not great options for air that I can see.

Last fall we flew right to STT and out of SJU. By the time FT priced it the costs was not that much different than doing what you are thinking about and it was easier.

The cruise we are looking at departs from St Thomas and ends at San Juan. We will be coming St Louis or Chicago and may just fly to San Juan a day early and take a flight to St Thomas the next morning. There really are not great options for air that I can see.

Take a look at booking the segments as individual legs instead of a round trip ticket.;)

You'll fit in. There are all sorts of people on board and after 8 or 9 trips I can safely say that no one is talking money or cars etc and most everyone seems quite open to meeting new people and making new friends. We've made some great friends on the ship, both from the passengers and the crew and both have visited us at home. Don't hesitate - go - you'll love it and its worth every hard earned penny!

...but unfortunately have to work for a living!

We don't talk money, unless it's what NOT to do with it, because we seem to be experts at that, but if you sit next to my DH, do not turn the conversation to cars. He loves cars and will talk cars until you are ready to jump ship and swim to the caviar splash under your own power. :D

...but unfortunately have to work for a living!

We don't talk money, unless it's what NOT to do with it, because we seem to be experts at that, but if you sit next to my DH, do not turn the conversation to cars. He loves cars and will talk cars until you are ready to jump ship and swim to the caviar splash under your own power. :D

I am sitting here LAUGHING OUT LOUD!! :D

Only because when FPebbles' DH and my DH started talking about cars it suddenly turned from mono to STEREO! :eek: But it's harmless fun - just a topic they both enjoy talking about.

Passengers on SD tend to be very laid back and easy to get to know. No one's trying to impress.... everyone's there to enjoy the "yachting" experience and have a good time.

CDreamer

LOL, CDreamer! Not only that, they went looking for each other's cars on the web:)

Seriously, there may be some folks with "serious" money on board, but you'd never know it. Most are well -traveled -- enjoy food -- socializing, etc. Some of us have to save our pennies more than others, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who was a "snob" -- well, maybe the guy I heard some years ago in the dining salon lamenting the fact that he needed to unload his 80' yacht! Everyone enjoys the ship/yacht and getting to know everyone. It's a great environment!!

Vandrefalk

Thanks for all the greaet responses. We decided to contact Sea Dream and see if they have room for us for a late March cruise. I guess that is a popular time and they are checking with the inventory department to see what is available. We should know something in a few days and then will play the airline ticket game to get something decent. We also plan to book a room in San Juan or St Thomas depending on where we leave from.

• 1 month later...
I am sitting here LAUGHING OUT LOUD!! :D

Only because when FPebbles' DH and my DH started talking about cars it suddenly turned from mono to STEREO! :eek: But it's harmless fun - just a topic they both enjoy talking about.

Passengers on SD tend to be very laid back and easy to get to know. No one's trying to impress.... everyone's there to enjoy the "yachting" experience and have a good time.

CDreamer

I just realized that FT would say that it is boys talking about their toys. With me it is sports, cameras, and computers. I guess we are all just boys and it is about our toys.

Archived