Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Kim,

thanks for being brave and posting your pics!

I do have some comments that I want to discuss, but for now I want to let you know I picked up this particular jacket in violet and it is sooooo cute.

8wa4a0.jpg

It is from the Twiggy of London collection on HSN and I am very pleased with the fit and material. Do you think it is tooooo bright? :)

Terri,

Have you worn that fab jacket yet? PLEAS help me find somehting in that color--I love it :)

Pam,

Any luck on the bathing suit? I bought my new one at http://athleta.gap.com/browse/division.do?cid=46656

We're going to the Southwest this summer for 2 weeks. It will be our first time in that direction. We're flying into Phoenix--going to the Grand Canyon--going to Page, AZ (to see the slot canyons and the Lake Powell area)--going to Mesa Verde--going on to the Ouray, CO area--and then finishing in New Mexico and flying out of Albuquerque.

We're really excited. It is a lot of planning. We have to travel on a pretty tight budget and want to see and do so much! It has been hard to pare it down to a manageable level. I'm still wotking out details though (I'm an OCD planner :) )

FYI. Two words that should never be uttered in the same sentence: Phoenix and Summer. Are you sure?!? Have you researched the temperatures? When you say Summer, do you really mean Summer?... like July or August. Really? I'm just saying... of course the Grand Canyon's temps won't be as high as Phoenix. But, seriously, can you handle really high temperatures?

And, that being said...

OMG, you're coming to see me! Seriously. When are you planning this trip? Because if it fits into your plans, it would be such FUN to meet you for dinner. I'm assuming that you must be planning to rent a car because your plans sound like a road trip to me. Are you planning to spend the night in Phoenix and head out to the Grand Canyon the next day? Or, are you planning on spending a little more time here? Anyway, let me know! Please! And, obviously, if you have any questions about this area, I'd be happy to help. I know a bit about Albuquerque as well since we used to stay there as a stopping point when we went on a road trip to visit Anita Latte!

Still looking for a bathing suit... I'll scoot over to the athleta link and see what you found! Thanks...

Oh, a puppy! :D Can't wait to see pics...

OMG, you're coming to see me! Seriously. When are you planning this trip? Because if it fits into your plans, it would be such FUN to meet you for dinner. I'm assuming that you must be planning to rent a car because your plans sound like a road trip to me. Are you planning to spend the night in Phoenix and head out to the Grand Canyon the next day? Or, are you planning on spending a little more time here? Anyway, let me know! Please! And, obviously, if you have any questions about this area, I'd be happy to help. I know a bit about Albuquerque as well since we used to stay there as a stopping point when we went on a road trip to visit Anita Latte!

Oh, Pam, how fun would that be? Would you email me at this address: halcruise-january at yahoo.com

Anita,

I love your new avatar!

What have you been up to? Are you still thinking of sewing some of your cruise wear for your next cruise? What new and exciting color lesson do you have planned next :D

Thank you on the avatar! I was so pleased to see my pointy-ish chin coming back in a picture...I had to share.;)

I have been ill...wipe me out kind of ill...DS was ill...but mine has been totally different...I think that I have/had a virus...it smacks of flu like symptoms and I have been battling this...and I am definitely thinking that I will be sewing some of my cruisewear...I LOVE athleta...it's an inspirational site for me...same with anthropologie...but I couldn't afford to replace an entire wardrobe with their clothes...only a few fun pieces...I'm definitely thinking that I will do things like cover-ups, skirts, and simple dresses...

OMG...I want to join the party in Scottsdale!

Kim...I just had to share with you my bargain shopping...I have finally shrunk out of so many clothes that I am having to buy new ones...so I hit the clearance racks yesterday to see what I could find...I found 3 skirts in lovely EARTH patterns...they were $4.40, $3.00, and $2.97 !!!...found at Kohl's and JCPenny...I totally thought of you! I know you love a bargain...

btw...I THINK that there is FIRE purple at JCPenny right now...the St. John's line has tanks, crew neck short sleeves, V-neck short sleeves and I think I saw a button down shirt in FIRE purple in the same general area. The color is called Berry Purple...

0900631b81a7d6bbM.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp

Pretty sure it's FIRE...

Kim...I just had to share with you my bargain shopping...I have finally shrunk out of so many clothes that I am having to buy new ones...so I hit the clearance racks yesterday to see what I could find...I found 3 skirts in lovely EARTH patterns...they were $4.40, $3.00, and $2.97 !!!...found at Kohl's and JCPenny...I totally thought of you! I know you love a bargain...

Ooohhh, Anita, good job on both losing weight/inches and the shopping!!! I do love a good bargain. Do you have pictures of your new things?

btw...I THINK that there is FIRE purple at JCPenny right now...the St. John's line has tanks, crew neck short sleeves, V-neck short sleeves and I think I saw a button down shirt in FIRE purple in the same general area. The color is called Berry Purple...

Thanks for the FIRE purple tip! I'm going to go check it out. I love when someone finds a definite FIRE match and we have the same store here or at least around here. Even if I don't buy it, it's still really good practice to see it for myself.

You know I'm obsessed with finding the FIRE purple and blue :D

LLBean has fleece jackets in a delicious fire blue: do a search on the color Deep Capri. Not sure if you need sweaters or lightweight tops, but this color is sooo pretty!

Still looking for a violet purple color for you to view!! ;)

LLBean has fleece jackets in a delicious fire blue: do a search on the color Deep Capri. Not sure if you need sweaters or lightweight tops, but this color is sooo pretty!

Still looking for a violet purple color for you to view!! ;)

Terri,

I LOVE that color! Thanks for shopping for me. Is this jacket the same? (it looks like it to my eye)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56669?from=SR&feat=sr

It says "deep capri/astral blue".

I would love to find a windbreaker kind of jacket with a hood in one of the FIRE blues.

Could you do a bit more, I love how you find these great colors that I'm afraid to bank on :D I just don't trust my eye on the FIRE blues and purples.

I really am obsessed (in a good way) with finding these FIRE purples and blues. I think I look especially good in the bright aqua blues. I like how my eyes pop in that color.

0900631b81a7d6bbM.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp

Pretty sure it's FIRE...

Anita,

I found the "berry purple" today at Penny's. I love that color! Our JCP had short sleeved, 3/4 sleeved and V-neck sweaters for less than 1/2 price. I got one of each--that way I'll have a FIRE purple for summer and winter :D

Thanks to you too for shopping for me! What would I do without my color pals????

Please keep looking for the elusive FIRE purples and blues :)

I found these on Amazon under women's tops, brand, Carhartt, color name: African Violet. Not sure if these styles suit you, but the color is great. :)

x2rx5e.jpg

343kjv4.jpg

I love those colors!, Terri, but I can't "do" those cap sleeves any more and the longer lengths. I'm getting old I think ;)

Hi, Anita!

Hope you are feeling better. Awesome on the weight loss. Love the new avatar pic! Curt's been helping me choose my MOB dress for my daughter's wedding and it ORDERED!!! Yippee!! It's gold, and CJW approves :)

Have you come across any Earth blue, green or purple tops for us? I'm still having trouble identifying those shades. Been wearing way too much coral/warm pink and brown lately.

Jane

Kim...I was rereading the posts...somehow I TOTALLY missed that you got a NEW PUPPY!!! OMG...we LOVE labs!! Please post a pic of Piper...I totally want to see the cuteness...

I DO have pictures of my new skirts...they aren't lovely pics, but I took them for Mom to see my sweet finds...my mirror is totally dusty so there is a kind of haze in the photos...from left to right...$3.00, 4.40, 2.97...I call the 2.97 "pukilicious" LOL...there is a pinkish and tealish color in the pattern...I've kept the shirt I'm wearing with the skirt because I like it, but it is one that I am always on the fence about...it seems to blend with the warm tones but it is SO pinkish...but when I put it with pink it looks coral-y...it's muted, so I keep it...the top layer in the "rusty" color is one of my $2.50 camis from Forever 21...talk about a cheap outfit...

004-1.jpg

Jane...very exciting about the MOB dress!...I'm really trying to limit my purchases of clothing lately...I'm working hard to get fit before our cruise (my 40th bday celebration!)...and so I'm trying to get by with the least amount of clothing possible at each stage because I don't anticipate getting too much wear out of them before I shrink out of them...Thanks to everyone for the encouragement...I still have about 35-40 pounds to goal...anyway...I did find a great olive green and teal color at Forever 21...there is a picture where I contrast Mom's FIRE shirts against my EARTH shirts...the blue/green color was called "Teal"...don't remember on the olive green, but it's a pretty standard army looking green...the teal is fun though...

Jane...very exciting about the MOB dress!...I'm really trying to limit my purchases of clothing lately...I'm working hard to get fit before our cruise (my 40th bday celebration!)...and so I'm trying to get by with the least amount of clothing possible at each stage because I don't anticipate getting too much wear out of them before I shrink out of them...Thanks to everyone for the encouragement...I still have about 35-40 pounds to goal...anyway...I did find a great olive green and teal color at Forever 21...there is a picture where I contrast Mom's FIRE shirts against my EARTH shirts...the blue/green color was called "Teal"...don't remember on the olive green, but it's a pretty standard army looking green...the teal is fun though...

Wow; what a steal on the Earthy Skirts! Awesome shopping job, Anita.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the teal color. I'm going to go to Forever 21 in our mall and see if I can get a look at it in person. Unfortunately, I am way too busty to even consider wearing most of their tops (esp. camis)!

I uploaded a pic of the teal sweater with Earth card. What do you think?

rr77fq.jpg29fdn53.jpg

Funny thing is that I am wearing a teal (blue) sweater today that I'm not certain is in my palette. It's a color I really love, but I just don't know how to classify it. The only season I can be totally rule out is Air/summer!

Jane

Edited by JaneStarr
To add pics

Kim...I was rereading the posts...somehow I TOTALLY missed that you got a NEW PUPPY!!! OMG...we LOVE labs!! Please post a pic of Piper...I totally want to see the cuteness...

I DO have pictures of my new skirts...they aren't lovely pics, but I took them for Mom to see my sweet finds...my mirror is totally dusty so there is a kind of haze in the photos...from left to right...$3.00, 4.40, 2.97...I call the 2.97 "pukilicious" LOL...there is a pinkish and tealish color in the pattern...I've kept the shirt I'm wearing with the skirt because I like it, but it is one that I am always on the fence about...it seems to blend with the warm tones but it is SO pinkish...but when I put it with pink it looks coral-y...it's muted, so I keep it...the top layer in the "rusty" color is one of my $2.50 camis from Forever 21...talk about a cheap outfit...

004-1.jpg

Anita,

I love the middle skirt! After naming the 3rd one "pukilicious" I'm not sure it gets my vote :) I LOVE the cost of your outfit--$5.50--an excellent job!!!

The 3rd top does look pinkish. Your description reminds me of the top in my wardrobe pics that you thought was watermelon and I "thought" it was a bright coral. It was coraly next to pink but it was pinkish next to orange.

Here is a cute picture of Piper laying in between our coffee table with the bird cage on the top. She loves to lay under things or in between things. She's just as cute as a button. Piper is a very take charge confident girl for a 10 week old pup.

IMG_7915.jpg.cc57397f527ac1f7d216171480a8d691.jpg

Piper is SO cute! I love that pic in the coffee table...so sweet...having a puppy would be fun but I don't know if my Toby kitty would take kindly to all that energy in the house. :rolleyes:

Mom, Dad and I have tons of joking regarding the lovely shades of EARTH and all the not so lovely things many EARTH colors resemble...and how amazing that such colors could look so good on me! LOL. All the ruffles on that skirt are so cute...I love them...the pattern on the middle skirt is very fun...and the full skirt is very flattering...

Jane...I think that shirt is a winner...funny how it looks so different in the two pictures...one with a flash and one without?...however...in both photos...the blend of the shirt works with the cards and that wallpaper (which I remember is very earthy)...I like it!

004-1.jpg

Love your skirts. especially the one in the middle with that top. They look so good on you.

I gave away 100 lbs a few years ago, put 50 of it back on over about 2 years, but the worst weight gain was when hubby got quite sick. I have taken off about 32 lbs of it, so I am working at it. Anyways, you don't want to hear about my weight, but I just want to make some suggestions:

1. Make sure that you have proper fitting underwear and bras. You will look and feel much better with proper fitting undergarments.

2. Buy pants with belt loops and a belt, because as you take off the weight, you can still wear the pants with a belt for a few more pounds off.

3. Sweaters are great because they are stretchy. If you are between sizes for sweaters, buy down because it will stretch to fit.

4. Make sure you have at least 2 or 3 outfits that fit you perfectly for your current size, because you will feel amazing when you wear them.

I hope this helps.

Piper is SO cute! I love that pic in the coffee table...so sweet...having a puppy would be fun but I don't know if my Toby kitty would take kindly to all that energy in the house. :rolleyes:

Mom, Dad and I have tons of joking regarding the lovely shades of EARTH and all the not so lovely things many EARTH colors resemble...and how amazing that such colors could look so good on me! LOL. All the ruffles on that skirt are so cute...I love them...the pattern on the middle skirt is very fun...and the full skirt is very flattering...

Jane...I think that shirt is a winner...funny how it looks so different in the two pictures...one with a flash and one without?...however...in both photos...the blend of the shirt works with the cards and that wallpaper (which I remember is very earthy)...I like it!

I agree. Piper is adorable!

As far as my pictures, neither one was taken with flash. I had the front door open for natural light reflected off of the snow, but I was standing in different positions. Neither pic really shows the true color of the sweater (at least not on my monitor). It is EXACTLY the same as the "teal" color of a Forever 21 shirt wish I bought today! Not sure if it's the same as the basics you mentioned. I tooks some pics of me wearing it with my color cards in the dressing room. I have my teal sweater nearby to show how close they are in color. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble uploading photos to tinypic right now.

PS This shows just how awesome a tool Curt's color cards can be when the lighting is bad.

Love your skirts. especially the one in the middle with that top. They look so good on you.

I gave away 100 lbs a few years ago, put 50 of it back on over about 2 years, but the worst weight gain was when hubby got quite sick. I have taken off about 32 lbs of it, so I am working at it. Anyways, you don't want to hear about my weight, but I just want to make some suggestions:

1. Make sure that you have proper fitting underwear and bras. You will look and feel much better with proper fitting undergarments.

2. Buy pants with belt loops and a belt, because as you take off the weight, you can still wear the pants with a belt for a few more pounds off.

3. Sweaters are great because they are stretchy. If you are between sizes for sweaters, buy down because it will stretch to fit.

4. Make sure you have at least 2 or 3 outfits that fit you perfectly for your current size, because you will feel amazing when you wear them.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! Funny how wearing the right colors even by your legs works!

Thanks for the suggestions...everyone has their way of dealing...I don't wear bras personally...gave them up over a year ago...I wear sports bras to my Zumba class so I don't make others uncomfortable with all my bouncing around! LOL...I definitely wear belts and non-elastic waists...and I get rid of bottoms as soon as I shrink out of them...one reason why I don't want to spend much on clothes...the shirts last longer, but I did buy some new ones recently...I've been working on a minimalist wardrobe for a while now...I get a lot of wear out of my clothes!...I plan to keep with this idea even after reaching goal...I hope that if you are working toward a weight loss goal that you are successful...for me, it has made all the difference in the world to find something that I LOVE to do that can also be called exercise...

Jane...if that shirt matches the Forever 21 teal color...and if the teal color you got is the same teal color I got...then you have a winner!! IMO...I was pretty excited to find that color because I love it, and have generally purchased it over the years...it's very flattering...

btw...wore my colors to Zumba class tonight and I got complemented on what a great color my shirt was for me! I thought that was pretty cool...

I have been wondering too. Dyan, are you out there????

I'm here! Congrats on the new puppy. :) I currently have one of our FOUR little Italian Greyhounds in my lap.

I've been keeping up on reading posts occasionally, but mostly it's just depressing because I'm STILL searching for work (and certainly can't be doing very much shopping - at this point I need to start saving what little I can of my unemployment benefits, in case they run out and I still haven't found a job).

I can't even seem to find a BS job just to make a few dollars, because I am "overqualified" which I think translates to: "we know you'll leave once you find an attorney position so it's not worth it for us to hire you."

I love all the warm violets you guys have been posting, and I want some! I've seen some similar shades labeled as "fuschia" on websites, which I find confusing because I think of fuschia as a cool purplish-blue-pink, but I guess at some point in the color spectrum there's a thin line between purplish-pink (cool) and pinkish-purple (warm, sometimes). Has anyone else encountered this? It happens with other colors too - like that greenish-yellow that I'm guessing is an ice color, and the yellow-green that is fire, but somewhere in the middle of those clearly defined colors is a muddled area where it's hard to tell.

I have been keeping an eye out on eBay, because I swear no matter how broke I am, there are occasionally deals that can't be passed up. Like, for $5 I got a NWT (that's new-with-tags if you're not familiar with eBay speak) J.Crew button down shirt in a bright coral color that I can wear under my many black and grey suits when I get a job (and until then can wear with jeans or whatever). I'm sort of expected to wear the standard black skirt suit at interviews because it's a conservative field, but instead of the "penguin suit" I like to wear a pop of color with it anyway. (I read somewhere that it makes you stand out to interviewers, in a good way as long as you stay otherwise conservative - it can be a scarf or a single piece of jewelry, or in this case, a bright shirt under a nice conservative suit.) Now I just need an interview to wear it to!

I also got a pair of brand new Sam Edelman orange-red flats ($26 with shipping) - I live in skinny jeans/pencil pants and flats all spring so I can justify spending the money - it will (hopefully) be too warm for my riding boots soon!

My only big splurge was a new peacoat. I have a handful of dressy coats - in NYC, I hardly needed anything casual - and a great suede-and-faux-fur coat in winter white that I love, but can't wear unless it's below 20 degrees or I get too hot! So my one go-to casual coat for most winter days was this old almost-black eggplant-colored peacoat from Victoria's Secret, which (other than making me look terribly washed out) was getting so old and crummy looking that even my super-thrifty mother was like, honey, you've got to replace that thing. I'd had my eye on that Old Navy peacoat in the green shade - "green spire" if I remember correctly - but by the time I was ready to cave in and make the splurge, they were sold out in the store and online. So I found it on eBay in my size (NWT) for $55 with free shipping, which was only $5 less than I would have paid at the store, but all in all pretty cheap for a peacoat. I absolutely LOVE the color of it, and how I look in it, and I've gotten so may compliments - it was definitely worth it.

I think it would look great with a bright orangey tomato red scarf, but then I'm afraid I might look like a Christmas elf. Thoughts? If it's too Christmas-y, I'll look for a scarf in that great violet color you've all been posting, but I think the tomato red looks even better with the lime green. I'm thinking if it's orangey enough, it will take away from the Christmas effect... maybe?

So anyway, that's my update. If and when I get a job, my FIRE shopping list is as follows:

- several bright camis & blouses to wear under my suits (because they're expensive and will take a while to replace)

- a bright lightweight trench to wear to work in warmer weather (my current lightweight trenches are black and ice pink) - my first choice would be warm purple but that might be really hard to find - second choice would be tomato red

- metallic gold flats (for when I'm NOT at work - they go with everything)

I am inspired by Kate Spade, because she does a lot with bright colors, and yet her clothes still look professional. Too expensive for me (and obviously not all the colors are fire tones), but I like to browse through katespade.com just to see how bright colors (and lots of them) can be incorporated into a professional wardrobe - and still look professional. I don't know if any of you have to do business or business casual for work, but if you do and you want to incorporate more brights, I highly recommend her collection for inspiration!

That's all I have for now. Hopefully soon I'll have good news to report, but until then, my shopping will be limited to a handful of under-$10 deals on eBay... lol.

Dyan

Thanks! Funny how wearing the right colors even by your legs works!

Thanks for the suggestions...everyone has their way of dealing...I don't wear bras personally...gave them up over a year ago...I wear sports bras to my Zumba class so I don't make others uncomfortable with all my bouncing around! LOL...I definitely wear belts and non-elastic waists...and I get rid of bottoms as soon as I shrink out of them...one reason why I don't want to spend much on clothes...the shirts last longer, but I did buy some new ones recently...I've been working on a minimalist wardrobe for a while now...I get a lot of wear out of my clothes!...I plan to keep with this idea even after reaching goal...I hope that if you are working toward a weight loss goal that you are successful...for me, it has made all the difference in the world to find something that I LOVE to do that can also be called exercise...

Jane...if that shirt matches the Forever 21 teal color...and if the teal color you got is the same teal color I got...then you have a winner!! IMO...I was pretty excited to find that color because I love it, and have generally purchased it over the years...it's very flattering...

btw...wore my colors to Zumba class tonight and I got complemented on what a great color my shirt was for me! I thought that was pretty cool...

I am working on the weight loss. I have some days that are good and days that are not so good. I started back at the gym about 3 weeks ago now. I started with joining Curves and I go Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We have been doing Yoga at lunch on Wednesdays at work, which I love, and our instructor has started a class about 2 blocks from where I work on Sunday from 11-noon, and Tuesday 4:45-5:45, right after work. I have been riding the bike at the fire hall on Thursdays if hubby is working, but he won't be for another 3 weeks, and I am looking for something else. Curves is starting Zumba on the circuit for 1/2 hour starting on Monday, and I am registered for it. There was a demo to try it for 15 minutes today, and it was fun. I am looking forward to Monday. The instructor does a class on Thursdays for 1 hour from 7-8, and I am seriously considering joining the class. I will check it out next week. I like it because it is kind of like latin dancing, and hubby and I were doing ballroom dancing classes and salsa classed until he hurt his foot. I tried to go solo and find a partner, but that only worked for about 1/2 the classes, then my assigned partner wasn't able to any longer and I got to sit and watch. No fun. But for zumba you don't have a partner, so I can do it and it is like dancing. I found it fun. Anyways, I have a few days to decide. And please let me know if my impression of Zumba is incorrect.

Dyan! I'm so glad you gave us the update! I'm sorry to read about your difficulties in finding work. Very sorry. I hope that turns around. I've been out of the corporate world for over a decade, not that the employers I had ever had much of a dress code...but what you said about dressing conservatively and letting a bit of personality join in the mix sounds good. I do hope that you can find something sooner than later.

Sounds like you have been able to make some great bargain purchases! I love the confidence that comes with purchasing within a color palatte...I never worry about bringing home an orphan that can never find any partners in my closet any more.

Tess...your impression of Zumba sounds spot on...it is Latin influenced dance...the key element of Zumba is what is called intermittent training...as opposed to interval (which is regularly timed)...intermittent is irregular phases of high and low intensities...it throws your body into a state of metabolic confusion that causes your body to turn into a fat burning machine for HOURS following your Zumba class...the key is not just calories burned during class (I wear a heart rate monitor and I burned about 900 calories in one class)...it is the fact that the workout methodology causes your body to burn calories for hours afterward...I have a whole discussion going on about Zumba...link in my signature...I have done only Zumba and Pilates and have totally changed body shape and composition...even through the holidays...even not changing eating habits until recently EXCEPT to try to eat from home since last Oct/Nov...even drinking wine and beer ALL throughout the holidays and enjoying all kinds of holiday treats. I LOVE Zumba...and now I'm going to stop being off topic...if you want to talk more about it...join me on my Zumba thread!

Just a quick "drive by" post....

I spotted something interesting in yesterday's WSJ Magazine: a Ralph Lauren ad for a brown tuxedo! Unfortunately, the photo shows it with a very white looking shirt, but it would be great with ivory for any of our warm-toned men :)

Jane