Extra Tax

ovccruiser

Had the details though on our upcoming maiden cruise on QE and was surprised to see that when in Spanish ports, there will be a 7% tax on drinks purchased from the bars. Will this be reciprocated when Spanish cruise ships visit the UK or other EU ports. I think I will be stocking the fridge.

Blame the EU! When a ship does not call at a non-EU port on its itinerary it has to charge the base port taxes - so visit Guernsey (not part of the EU!)

Or Norway....

Isn't the "base port" Southampton? Or is it where each leg departs from?

And, if the latter, what if one does a B2B with one bit stopping ex-EU and the other not?

Just the Spanish? :confused:

Interestingly yes, we will be calling into Madeira, which of course is Portugese, no additional tax. Now, will they charge +15% +7% or will the 7% be added on the base price cost, should be interesting as I don't fancy paying 7% on a tip:D

No problem :) I just don't understand how we could be imposing a tax that was only payable by nationals of one member country of the EU and not all the others. :confused:

My other thought is, we give our credit card at the beginning of the voayage as guarantee of payment, which is then taken at the end of the voyage. Technically we order and receive the goods but pay at the end of the voyage usually on UK soil. On my credit card statement, there is only one entry so it must be done at the end, so why should be pay additional tax on something which we are not paying for untill we return to the UK. That makes it an export which under EU laws is VAT exempt. Is this a new thing or is there additional charges on previous voyages?

Archived