what is concidered goverment id

cherylg509

I would email Carnival the question. If they say it is acceptable print out the email and take it with you. I would email probably 3 different times - CCL is not always consistent with answers. If they say no - even once of the three times - go to DMV and get her an ID.

I would email Carnival the question. If they say it is acceptable print out the email and take it with you. I would email probably 3 different times - CCL is not always consistent with answers. If they say no - even once of the three times - go to DMV and get her an ID.

Do not trust anything that Carnival says, and taking the email is not worth the cost of the paper that it is written on. If the agent at the port says the e-mail is wrong you don't get on the ship. Check with Customs and Border patrol on their web site to see exactly what is needed.

The OP''s best bet is just get a passport or a passport card. It is good for 10 years, and there is no question about the identification.

I would definitely have the child get a state ID to go with the certified birth certificate and you are good to go. It should be less than $20 depending on the state and you don't have to stress about anything else.

There is NO need for a passport or passport card for a closed loop cruise, so don't sweat the small stuff and let the "what if" crowd persuade you to do any different. That's the reason why Carnival and other cruise lines allow the other documents, because it isn't necessary.

Have a great trip!

Depending on how hard it is to get a state ID, it might be easier to get the passport. Some areas of California the wait to get a DMV appointment to get a state ID is a month. Wandering in after school hours will get you a two to three hour wait. Getting a passport is much less time consuming.

Then again, I was in Arizona recently with a friend, he could walk into the DMV without an appointment and get out of there in 15 minutes. It was awesome.

This may help (from CCL FAQ): Note the area I bolded.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents Click Here

I think the magic thing here is that she is over 16. I would definitely get a state issued ID. In most states, they don't take too long.

You need government issued id to be 100% sure. I'd go to the DVM. And remember it's not Carnival's decision, ultimately it's the DHS agent on duty's personal opinion on the validity of any id. Be nice to them if an issue arises.

Past sucess with school ID does not guarantee furture permissions to board!

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, and others have said you cannot take Carnival's word. But this will be the first cruise since my GS turned 16. I called Carnival 5 times and talked to 5 different people, a school issued ID is ok to use according to the 5 people I talked to.

I would definitely have the child get a state ID to go with the certified birth certificate and you are good to go. It should be less than $20 depending on the state and you don't have to stress about anything else.

There is NO need for a passport or passport card for a closed loop cruise, so don't sweat the small stuff and let the "what if" crowd persuade you to do any different. That's the reason why Carnival and other cruise lines allow the other documents, because it isn't necessary.

Have a great trip!

You are right there is no need for a passport . . . BUT in this case because the OP is going to have to get something it is safer and just as easy to go ahead and get a passport, not that it is required, just easier and in the long run potentially more useful.

Do not trust anything that Carnival says, and taking the email is not worth the cost of the paper that it is written on. If the agent at the port says the e-mail is wrong you don't get on the ship. Check with Customs and Border patrol on their web site to see exactly what is needed.

The OP''s best bet is just get a passport or a passport card. It is good for 10 years, and there is no question about the identification.

You need government issued id to be 100% sure. I'd go to the DVM. And remember it's not Carnival's decision, ultimately it's the DHS agent on duty's personal opinion on the validity of any id. Be nice to them if an issue arises.

Past sucess with school ID does not guarantee furture permissions to board!

Carnival is following the the laws of Customs and Border and there policys..and has too follows there laws... but It is Carnivals Decision...If Carnival wishes they could require everyone that boards there ship to Have Passports, three forms of valid Id and six different types of credit cards.....or you Dont sail on there ship..... they have requirements that the government demands of them but Carnival sets Policys...if they did not follow them they would not be allowed to sail from the US waters...

With That said yes You need to get a State Issued ID Card or Passport as well as a Certified copy of the Birth Certificate to be completly safe....anything else you will be risking being turned around at the port...

my 17 yr old daughter has a certified birthcertificate and photo id from school. she does not have a drivers licence will this work for closed loop cruise?

FOLLOW THIS ADVICE:

The acceptable ID is the one that the Government employee accepts. And Government employees have the final say, NOT Carnival employees. Cruise Critic members are very understanding and always hopeful for the best.

Govt employees, not so much.

I just received the following email from Carnival and thought I would forward it to you. I hope this helps...:o

Header_CTA_CarnivalLogo_Blue.gifHeader_TopRight_Blue.gifimp_notice.gifInformation regarding Cruise Documents

September 29, 2010

Dear Carnival Guests:

Your FunShip cruise is right around the corner, and while you may not be packing just yet, we thought we'd remind you of what "not to forget". Yes, yes, your dancing shoes and your bathing suit ARE a must, but so is bringing proper proof of citizenship with you! Without your travel documents, you can't check-in or get on this FunShip! So be prepared.

U.S. Citizens, we suggest you bring your passport, but for other acceptable travel documents, see below or visit us at Carnival.com. If you are a Non-U.S. citizen, please consult your travel agent or consulate.

• Passport Card
  • Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Copies of the following will NOT be allowed:

• U.S. Passports
  • Naturalization Papers

Originals, nor copies, of the following will NOT be allowed:

• Baptismal Certificates
  • Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information on WHTI-compliant documents, visit this site: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

Thanks for choosing Carnival! We can't wait to welcome you onboard and show you all the fun and exciting activities we have in store for you.

See you soon!

Carnival Cruise Lines

Archived