Is there a bus to get us to...

CCH828

Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, 7 Miles Beach in Grand Cayman, Tabayana Beach in Roatan, and the Zoo in Belize? (We are also considering Goff's Cay in Belize, which I know is an island and therefore there is no bus :D but can you walk to the boat dock from where the tender drops you off?)

I'm asking because I do not want to take a taxi and hold my 16mo old on my lap. That just scares the heck out of me. Plus, I've heard that many taxis don't have seat belts. A bus seems like a good way to go, yes? But are there busses to get us to these places? Help, please!!!

I feel so unprepared for this trip. :( DH has left all of the research, planning and packing to me, which really only gets done while the little one naps. :confused:

p.s. no flaming, please, just helpful, positive advice wanted. We always use our car seat at home 100% of the time.

p.p.s. I have tried Googling to no avail, and have looked in the ports of call section of CC. It just seems to be much more of a family issue/question. Thanks! ;)

Buses are cheap and easy in GC... don't think there were seat belts.

I know everyone is all about the child safety seats, and I used them for my kids...but WE didn't even have seatbelts in cars when I was little, let alone kid seats! Your kids will be fine without them, considering the total hassle of lugging them around with you.

Go to a library and get a guidebook on your ports...info about transportation is in there!

The buses will have no seat belts, either. No buses do....not even in the US. Are you planning on bringing your car seat with you?

sorry I was not very clear! I meant since a bus does not have seat belts, there is no need (or option) for a car seat on a bus, i.e. it's totally normal to have a baby on a bus in a lap, versus in a passenger car, where it is standard to have a car seat. So, we're hoping to have a bus option available.

Unfortunately the library can't happen before the cruise. Hence Google. And here. Sigh. Just looking for some BTDT experience. And getting discouraged. :(

Thanks for the info, though, that there is a bus in GC. That helps.

Don't remember seeing Buses in Cozumel. Taxi rides are wild though. They drive fast and swerve hard!

Didn't go past the port in Belize. I would take the excursion from the ship. I've traveled a lot and felt rather uneasy there, seeing people yelling and trying to reach in the fence to get me to take a tour with them. (we were doing a snorkeling excursion, so just changing from a tender to tour boat.)

Haven't been to Roatan yet. You might check with the port of call board there and see what you can find. We are going in a few weeks and going to Infinity Bay. $15 a person gets you a pool, chair and a beautiful beach; snorkel right off shore, $10 to rent equipment.

But I have spent a bit of time on Grand Cayman. The "buses" there are actually large vans, if I remember correctly. And they drive on the left, so be prepared for that. Fares are fairly inexpensive (couple of dollars each) and they can take you up 7 mile beach.

HTH

Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, 7 Miles Beach in Grand Cayman, Tabayana Beach in Roatan, and the Zoo in Belize? (We are also considering Goff's Cay in Belize, which I know is an island and therefore there is no bus :D but can you walk to the boat dock from where the tender drops you off?)

I'm asking because I do not want to take a taxi and hold my 16mo old on my lap. That just scares the heck out of me. Plus, I've heard that many taxis don't have seat belts. A bus seems like a good way to go, yes? But are there busses to get us to these places? Help, please!!!

I feel so unprepared for this trip. :( DH has left all of the research, planning and packing to me, which really only gets done while the little one naps. :confused:

p.s. no flaming, please, just helpful, positive advice wanted. We always use our car seat at home 100% of the time.

p.p.s. I have tried Googling to no avail, and have looked in the ports of call section of CC. It just seems to be much more of a family issue/question. Thanks! ;)

Chankanaab park - you are gonna need a cab, no buses. When we were there, the cabs were updated cars with seatbelts, so you could lug a car seat.

Goff's Caye - you book this through the cruise line. The boat picks you up at the ship and takes you straight to the island. Belize is a tender port, and you never have to set foot on the mainland to do this tour.

Tabayana - again, can only be booked through the cruise line to my knowledge. It was a van that took us over the island. A car seat would not have worked in that one. Perhaps staying at Mahagony would be the way to go there as you can walk there.

Can't help you with 7 mile beach, sorry. But the cars there also seem updated. It is more remote places like Roatan that you are going to find the older cars without seat belts.

...I can help you with the Belize zoo. There is a City Bus/Zoo Tour AND a Jungle Boat/Zoo Tour :D

Thanks! We are DEFINITELY going to look into a Carnival excursion for Belize. It seems like the easiest and safest thing to do.

Don't remember seeing Buses in Cozumel. Taxi rides are wild though. They drive fast and swerve hard!

But I have spent a bit of time on Grand Cayman. The "buses" there are actually large vans, if I remember correctly.

Cozumel.... :eek: I am wondering if the only way to get a toddler to Chankanaab is to rent a car?? Or lug the car seat in a taxi that has seat belts. Or sit with my baby on my lap for a lengthy, crazy car ride. :( This is such a bummer.

Grand Cayman...oh, man! I was SO relieved to find out there were buses. but vans? Sigh. We didn't really want to shell out for a private tour (Native Way Water Sports?) but to avoid cars, maybe. This is getting SO COMPLICATED! :(

Chankanaab park - you are gonna need a cab, no buses. When we were there, the cabs were updated cars with seatbelts, so you could lug a car seat.

Tabayana - again, can only be booked through the cruise line to my knowledge. It was a van that took us over the island. A car seat would not have worked in that one.

Has anyone actually taken a car seat with them in the taxi? If so, what do you do with it when you get to Chankanaab?

Another bummer on Tabayana. I've heard the drive is slightly horrendous. So, baby in lap + long crazy drive = nervous mama. NOT good for vacation! :p

AAAAchhhhh!!!!! I have only two days to get this figured out, and my husband is out of town on business, so no help there. :confused:

Archived