Help with balcony selection on Serenade

DonnaK

I know Voyager/Freedom class ships inside/out, but Radiance class ships are unfamiliar to me.

For the 8/21/11 sailing, we are looking at basic E category balconies, but are unsure about which deck is best or which part of the ship is best. We have ruled out aft cabins (do not care for them) and hump cabins because we need to also book an inside across the hall and there are no inside cabins across from the hump balconies. What's the best of the rest? We are concerned about deck 7 over the lifeboats, etc.

For example, is 8024 a good cabin? I don't want to just choose randomly

I would not avoid Deck 7 on any Radiance class vessel, provided it was way forward and/or way back towards the aft.

These balconies are not affected by the lifeboat covers; one has an unobstructive view down to the water. Plus the balcony is slightly larger too. Check out the deck plans, or search for pictures of these staterooms.

Liked cabin 7016 well enough to book another one on the Jewel, 7030, for next October. Hope this info helped :)

I was actually looking at 7530, so I'm glad to hear that they are desireable (no lifeboats underneath, and larger balcony).

Someone said that they aren't as private - could someone explain that further? Are they not totally covered by the deck above.

cb - we like to look straight down as well as outward.

Donna they are not totally covered, and the decks above can look down onto your balcony. Deck 8 balconies provide the cover, so not the entire balcony on Deck 7 is covered. Great opportunity to chit-chat, or eavesdrop :p

thank you Irishnana...this is an important consideration for us, not so much for privacy reasons, but because we want greater protection from the sun.

It's my understanding that the back 2/3 or so of the balcony is covered, just the front 1/3 or so would be uncovered and "not private". The dividers between your balcony and the one next to it is about 2/3 solid, and the 1/3 by the railing is clear, from what I understand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! :)

It's my understanding that the back 2/3 or so of the balcony is covered, just the front 1/3 or so would be uncovered and "not private". The dividers between your balcony and the one next to it is about 2/3 solid, and the 1/3 by the railing is clear, from what I understand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! :)

That is how I remember them being. I'm sure I've seen a picture or two around here showing this but I haven't been able to find one yet. I'll keep looking and post it if I find a picture....

You are correct, although it may be 70% - 30%. :)

I will say this... even though the larger balconies do extend out further and allow you to have an amazing view of the water, they do not extend all the way out to the edge of the lifeboat covers. There is still about five feet or so of cover extending out. Does this hinder your view of the water? Depends on how you view things. If you want a truly unhindered view of the water, the hump balconies are the way to go... or a true Aft with a rear facing view.

The views from the Serenade coming into the many islands were amazing and Dominica in particular, with the rain clouds and rainbows, was a sight to see.

I'll be happy to stow away in your luggage and give you pointers.

You are correct, although it may be 70% - 30%. :)

I will say this... even though the larger balconies do extend out further and allow you to have an amazing view of the water, they do not extend all the way out to the edge of the lifeboat covers. There is still about five feet or so of cover extending out. Does this hinder your view of the water? Depends on how you view things. If you want a truly unhindered view of the water, the hump balconies are the way to go... or a true Aft with a rear facing view.

The views from the Serenade coming into the many islands were amazing and Dominica in particular, with the rain clouds and rainbows, was a sight to see.

I'll be happy to stow away in your luggage and give you pointers.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, for next summer, Dominica is not on the itinerary.

I knew I had seen a picture somewhere.....here is a post from CC member Robtulipe.....

Here is a better shot, taken from the Solarium on Deck 10, of the port side downward view. The balcony at the bottom of this shot is for cabin 7038 but 7042 and 7044 has the same view. Cabin 7034, where the man is at the railing, has the most forward balcony over the lifeboat section so the bottom three balconies in this shot are over the lifeboats.

RadiancePortSide01.jpg

This image and the description are referring to cabins on the port side but the starboard side is the same....so given that information I would probably look at cabins 7528 - 7532.

• 1 month later...

I just booked our first cruise on the Serenade of the Seas, departing April 2. I went through a travel agent, and he got us cabin 8114. Does anyone have any feedback on this cabin? Also, I found this interesting: Our travel agent had a hard time getting us a room (any room!) -- it seems that, since we have two children (therefore, 4 of us in one cabin) that they didn't want to give us a cabin at all. :confused: Our agent alluded to the concept that, once a cruise has a certain number of passengers, they no longer want to accommodate 4 people to a room. (Of course, he then quickly assured me the boat would not sink.) Has anyone else come across this restriction?

Thanks so much -- I really love the Cruise Critic message boards.

I just booked our first cruise on the Serenade of the Seas, departing April 2. I went through a travel agent, and he got us cabin 8114. Does anyone have any feedback on this cabin? Also, I found this interesting: Our travel agent had a hard time getting us a room (any room!) -- it seems that, since we have two children (therefore, 4 of us in one cabin) that they didn't want to give us a cabin at all. :confused: Our agent alluded to the concept that, once a cruise has a certain number of passengers, they no longer want to accommodate 4 people to a room. (Of course, he then quickly assured me the boat would not sink.) Has anyone else come across this restriction?

Thanks so much -- I really love the Cruise Critic message boards.

Not sure what your TA is talking about, but there are a limited number of cabins that hold 4 people and many of those were probably already taken. RCCL caters to families so of course they want you. It is true that once a cruise reaches capacity they may limit the selling of some rooms but usually not this far out unless a group is booked or such that is grabbing the bulk of the cabins. And yes you would have a lifeboat seat for every passengers.

We haven't been on it yet, but after a LOT of research we booked deck 7, the forward section where the balconies are larger and you don't have the lifeboat cover under you. The balconies aren't as "private", but that part doesn't bother us.

I see that you are leaving in just a few hours on Serenade. I would love to ask you a favor. If you go to the pool bar there is a young Chinese guy named Ran (pronounced Ron) who works there. If you order a drink from him tell him "charge it to my room" then tell him that Sheila said "Hello". It's sort of an inside joke - it won't get you into any trouble, I swear. He probably won't remember, but if he does, you will get the biggest laugh from him. Also please tell him I gave him the wrong email address and that he can get it from Sheffield. I know that I am asking a lot, but I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

P.S. I hope you truly enjoy your cruise on Serenade.

Thanks TBSCruiser. I only hope we don't arrrive to find a 2-person cabin awaits us!

You would not be allowed to book 4 people into a 2 person cabin, no fears. If you look at the deck plan you should be able to see the configuration of your specific cabin. Look and see what the symbol is, it will either be a sofabed, sofabed and pullman or 2 pullmans for the extra bedding. A pullman is basically the top half of a bunk bed that comes out of the ceiling.

We had cabin 7600 on the Serenade a few years ago and loved it. It has a normal sized balcony but is in the middle of the "hump" so one has a full 180 degree view (and no lifeboats below).

There was also very little motion because it was at the center of the ship. On deck 7 it was also easy to walk up to the WJ or down to the MDR (though the elevators are right there as well). Despite the central location, we rarely heard noise from the hallway or the centrum (sometimes a little bit of music), since the "hump" cabins have a private hallway. The champagne bar is directly below but it has no live music.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived