upgrading at time of cruise

desertskies

Just wondering... Is it possible, if they are suites available, to pay for an upgrade when you check in for the cruise? Just wondering if anyone had done it before or if it is possible. We are cruising on the Freedom on November 28th.

Thanks in advance.

Carnival (and other lines) will do all they can to upsell before the cruise. Chances of finding a suite upon embarkation would be really slim IMHO.

But, yes if there is a chance for the cruise line to make money by selling an upgrade they will do it.

If you are interested in the upsell contact your PVP or TA now.

Charlie

Nope... no upgrades at the pier...

From the Carnival FAQs:

How do I request a upgrade?

Carnival has made selecting the cabin location you want more affordable than ever. Assigning your cabin as early as possible ensures you get the best locations available. Opportunities to purchase an upgrade in your accommodations are available prior to the sailing date, subject to availability. Please contact Guest Services at 1800-438-6744 ext 70382.

Note: We cannot accommodate requests for upgrades on the day of sailing as we sail at capacity.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88

:)

There is a rare cabin open that you could upgrade to. Chances of it being a suite even rarer as Charlie says. They usually put up a sign saying full.... but Iv heard of paying full price to upgrade ...though why someone would want to pay full price and not do it before they board is a mystery .. maybe they hated their cabin?

No discounts for waiting at any rate, even in the rare occurence that you could do it and there is a cabin open.

Mach

I can understand why they have that note about upgrades. For one it would keep the Purser's Desk from being a mob of people hoping to score a cheap upgrade. Lord knows the desk is busy enough on embarkation day.

But if they had an open cabing don't you think they would take the money if someone wanted to go from inside to OV or balcony?

Charlie

Most cruises sail full so the likelyhood of upgrading is probably none. Its worth a shot but dont be surprised if the say its full capacity. I have even seen them donate unused cabins to charity like childrens wish network etc.

... or offer them to port workers who have their bags packed.

Last year I wanted a suite on the Elation, so I watched diligently several times a day. One came available two days before sailing, but they wanted an additional $2000 over what I paid for an Oceanview. I called my PVP and asked if they would bargain, threw out my Milestone status in for a bargaining chip and they came back with a price of $600. Don't know that it was the best deal in town, but my DH really wanted the suite, so he was happy.

So it doesn't hurt to ask.

I just got an upsell e-mail from Carnival, but we decided we liked where our cabin is located so we did not accept it. I think it really depends if the cruise is sold out or is close to full. I guess our cruise is not sold out yet.

Mach

I can understand why they have that note about upgrades. For one it would keep the Purser's Desk from being a mob of people hoping to score a cheap upgrade. Lord knows the desk is busy enough on embarkation day.

But if they had an open cabing don't you think they would take the money if someone wanted to go from inside to OV or balcony?

Charlie

Probably so but there's no mechanism in place to do that at the pier. The Carnival folks there are shore side agents, not PVPs. I don't understand how it could be done prior to boarding. Perhaps once onboard a passenger could query the Guest Services folks about it but that's would likely be the only way to manage such a thing...

Thanks for the info. I will ask my TA to look into how much it would cost to upgrade. I know my cruise isn't sold out yet but it is also 7 weeks out. Alot can change between now and then.

We have a mid-ship balcony room. Do you think a OS is really worth the extra $?

Thanks for the info. I will ask my TA to look into how much it would cost to upgrade. I know my cruise isn't sold out yet but it is also 7 weeks out. Alot can change between now and then.

We have a mid-ship balcony room. Do you think a OS is really worth the extra $?

I haven't been on the Freedom so I don't know the difference in room size. The suites are nice and you get priority embarkation and debarkation, but only you can be the judge about the cost value.

Probably so but there's no mechanism in place to do that at the pier. The Carnival folks there are shore side agents, not PVPs. I don't understand how it could be done prior to boarding. Perhaps once onboard a passenger could query the Guest Services folks about it but that's would likely be the only way to manage such a thing...

Yes, when it can be done, its done at the purser's desk.

Archived