formal nights

2oldjoe

That depends on what you mean by "not dressing up." If you show up at the MDR on formal night wearing flip flops, tee shirt and cut-offs - you can well expect to get stares. And you may not be seated. If you arrive without a tuxedo, but in a suit and tie I don't think there will be a problem. As always it is best to check with your cruise line for guidance. If you don't want to dress up for formal night there is always the Lido Deck...

Why not dress up? You look good in a tux or gown (depending on your gender!!!)...why wouldn't you want to look great!

I get "stares" when I'm all dressed up, because I look great! Very nice and enjoyable!

It really takes no more time to slip into a gown than it does into a sundress, and less time than into slacks and shirt!

For men, there's the added "tie" thing...but it's not THAT bad! Dress up!

• 1 month later...

I think the definition of "formal" is subjective - long gown vs. LBD or tux vs suit. To me, it's dressy attire. And yes - I did dress up and totally enjoyed it. While most of the others in the dining room agreed - I was sorta surprised to see quite a few in very casual attire (capri's on women, khaki pants/untucked shirt on guys)

Sorry - but IMHO - you should have to have shirt & tie and dress or dressy pants to enter main dining room on formal night. If you so choose not to "dress up" - fine - then go to the buffet that night.

It's only one night of the cruise and it would just add to the ambience to have all the players on the same page. Like going to a wedding and wearing blue jeans - :o

We have not dressed up on formal nights and ate at the buffet. However, on our last cruise on the Celebrity Constellation, it was stated that formal attire was required THROUGHOUT the ship. We complied. On one formal night we ate in the specialty restarant. Hubby in sport coat, me in pantsuit, no problem.

It's ok with me if you like to get all dressed up, but I don't.

We put up with the silliness, there is lots of silliness on cruises!

We go for the destinations.

• 2 weeks later...
Why not dress up? You look good in a tux or gown (depending on your gender!!!)...why wouldn't you want to look great!

I get "stares" when I'm all dressed up, because I look great! Very nice and enjoyable!

It really takes no more time to slip into a gown than it does into a sundress, and less time than into slacks and shirt!

For men, there's the added "tie" thing...but it's not THAT bad! Dress up!

Why not?

I wore a coat and tie every day when I was working. Now that I am retired, I would like to make the decision, not others, about what to wear, especially when I am paying for the vacation and trying to relax. A suit does not make me feel any more "special" (than I normally do). I think formal nights are pretentious and the driving force is the ship's photo studio.

Apparently, a lot of others folks think so too: http://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/am-i-atypical-to-dislike-cruise-formal-nights.cfm

• 2 weeks later...
Why not?

I wore a coat and tie every day when I was working. Now that I am retired, I would like to make the decision, not others, about what to wear, especially when I am paying for the vacation and trying to relax. A suit does not make me feel any more "special" (than I normally do). I think formal nights are pretentious and the driving force is the ship's photo studio.

Apparently, a lot of others folks think so too: http://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/am-i-atypical-to-dislike-cruise-formal-nights.cfm

When you sign on for your cruises you know what was expected of you, do you not?

As for being 'pretentious', cruising affords my wife and I a chance to dress up once in a while. We retired in a nice little town which has no dress code. One of the first things that we did was to attend the opening of a 'de lux restaurant'. Problem was only two persons wore ties, myself, and the mayor!!!

There is a plus side, you might try NCL

john

When you sign on for your cruises you know what was expected of you, do you not?

As for being 'pretentious', cruising affords my wife and I a chance to dress up once in a while. We retired in a nice little town which has no dress code. One of the first things that we did was to attend the opening of a 'de lux restaurant'. Problem was only two persons wore ties, myself, and the mayor!!!

There is a plus side, you might try NCL

john

John, I don't begrudge you and your wife the desire and opportunity to dress up, if you want. I know that some people do not have many occasions to do so and that they enjoy these events. It's simply not what I want. The link that I provided shows that I am not alone in my opinion. I expressed my opinion and I don't expect that everyone else will or even should agree with me.

"Dressing for formal night is expected of all passengers, if for no other reason than courtisy to other passengers who value this aspect of the cruise. Lou"

No, it's not a manditory requirement that anyone participate in formal nights! Fortunately, our last cruise ship (Ruby Princess) provided specialty restaurants with comparable or better cuisine. They were an acceptable option.

John, I don't begrudge you and your wife the desire and opportunity to dress up, if you want. I know that some people do not have many occasions to do so and that they enjoy these events. It's simply not what I want. The link that I provided shows that I am not alone in my opinion. I expressed my opinion and I don't expect that everyone else will or even should agree with me.

"Dressing for formal night is expected of all passengers, if for no other reason than courtisy to other passengers who value this aspect of the cruise. Lou"

No, it's not a manditory requirement that anyone participate in formal nights! Fortunately, our last cruise ship (Ruby Princess) provided specialty restaurants with comparable or better cuisine. They were an acceptable option.

That's fine, try NCL, but try not to spoil things for others.

I hate to say it, but cruise lines seem at the mercy of those who smoke, and others who dislike the dress code.

Minority rules I guess.

john

Formal nights are an excuse to play dress ups for grown ups and I love to play. If you dont like formal nights you can go on cruises that dont have them or eat elsewhere or dont cruise. I also like the costume nights and it just makes for atmosphere. Long live the formal! :D

• 1 month later...

I LOVEE dressing up! It's one of my favorite parts of the cruise. I ALWAYS!! dress in a gown. Although I am a bit disappointed, we're going on NCL this year, but I'm going to dress up anyways, wether I'm the only one or not..:P Lol so yes I am awaiting many stares on the "dress up or not night" can't waitttttt

:rolleyes:I just like to pack simple and a formal gown with pairing shoes and purse and tux for my dh will be too much wasted space...even though I'm a lady who loves fashion and enjoys dressing... on cruises we passed on the formal nights and go somewhere else to dine: cabin dinning, alternative restaurants, depending on the cruise line.

Archived