HAL or Celebrity ?

jayfan

I am looking at 2 cruises next year to see the fjords. Celebrity leaving on July 21st and Holland America 14 day Scandinavian Summer. Celebrity has a day in Geiranger which I have read is the most spectacular fjord to see. Holland America has 2 cruising days to see Sognefjord and Lysefjord/Pulpit Rock. HAL also has stops in Copenhagen and Sweden where Celebrity is all Norway. Would appreciate anyone's opinion on the most scenic cruise. Would I be missing out not stopping at Geiranger and having 2 cruising days of fjords instead ? Will the HAL cruise still go through the Geiranger fjord at all even though there isn't a port day in Geiranger?

Would appreciate anyone's opinions or information on these 2 cruises

Thanks so much

Jayfan

I am looking at 2 cruises next year to see the fjords. Celebrity leaving on July 21st and Holland America 14 day Scandinavian Summer. Celebrity has a day in Geiranger which I have read is the most spectacular fjord to see. Holland America has 2 cruising days to see Sognefjord and Lysefjord/Pulpit Rock. HAL also has stops in Copenhagen and Sweden where Celebrity is all Norway. Would appreciate anyone's opinion on the most scenic cruise. Would I be missing out not stopping at Geiranger and having 2 cruising days of fjords instead ? Will the HAL cruise still go through the Geiranger fjord at all even though there isn't a port day in Geiranger? Would appreciate anyone's opinions or information on these 2 cruises. Thanks so much. Jayfan

Although we have not used either of these lines, we have friends who have, giving both good marks on the ships, food, service, etc. On the June 26 HAL "Scandinavian Summer" cruise, it seems to be two different trips with a high amount of wasted time going back and forth to Rotterdam in the middle of the trip. The Ryndam is one of HAL's older (1994) and smaller (1260 passengers) ships. You will have a full day in Flam (which is nice to allow the train trip), plus another day cruising the Sognefjord. There's another day cruising Lysefjord/Pulpit Rock area. Just "cruising" there is OK, but not as flexible as having a port stop there to allow more shore options. This cruise gives you great stops in Bergen, Oslo, Alesund, Copenhagen, plus some others that are OK, but not quite as much at the highest level.

The 12-day Celebrity options seems more time and cost efficient. You will have both Flam and the Geiranger fjord areas, plus Oslo, Bergen, Alesund, Molde, etc. We did both the Flam and Geiranger fjords, loving them both. You won't have Copenhagen on this trip, but you will have more along the western Norway coast. The Constellation is a newer ship (2002) that carries a little over 2000 passengers. Amsterdam is probably a better port for air access and things to see and do there than Rotterdam. The weather factors should be about equal with both options. Without know your interests personally, this Celebrity option would be my leaning and suggestion.

Below are some visual highlights on Flam and the Geiranger fjord areas, Bergen, etc. Check my below postings for more pictures, details, etc., along this great Norway Coast, in Copenhagen, etc. I've got lots more to share.

Let us know your reactions, added questions, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now nearly at 21,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From our early July visit to the highly-rated Sognerfjord, here are some added details and sights from Flam, riding the railroad there, etc. This includes the view at the hotel deck of the nearby mountains.::

FlamTrainValleyView.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

After visiting Flam, here is a sample of the spectacular Sognerfjord as sailed to our afternoon in nearby Gudvangen.:

FjordMntskyView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. Here is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord another is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, two of the docked ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

We went on Celebrity and loved it. The crew were so professional, and the food was excellent. We took the shore excursion to Geiranger Fjord and enjoyed the full Norwegian buffet. I haven't been on HAL, so hopefully someone else can address that.

I am looking at 2 cruises next year to see the fjords. Celebrity leaving on July 21st and Holland America 14 day Scandinavian Summer. Celebrity has a day in Geiranger which I have read is the most spectacular fjord to see. Holland America has 2 cruising days to see Sognefjord and Lysefjord/Pulpit Rock. HAL also has stops in Copenhagen and Sweden where Celebrity is all Norway. Would appreciate anyone's opinion on the most scenic cruise. Would I be missing out not stopping at Geiranger and having 2 cruising days of fjords instead ? Will the HAL cruise still go through the Geiranger fjord at all even though there isn't a port day in Geiranger?

Thanks so much

Jayfan

What are the stops in Sweden? What ship?

Al

Thanks for all your pictures Terry, they are amazing ! and another thank-you for your reply. I was actually looking at the July24th HAL cruise that goes from Dover to compare to Celebrity's. I have printed out all the shore excursions from both cruises and will read up and see which ones seem the best.

The stop in Sweden is Helsingborg - no excursions were listed on HAL website for this port. Does anyone know what there is to do here ?

Thanks again

Thanks for all your pictures Terry, they are amazing ! and another thank-you for your reply. I was actually looking at the July24th HAL cruise that goes from Dover to compare to Celebrity's. The stop in Sweden is Helsingborg - no excursions were listed on HAL website for this port. Does anyone know what there is to do here ? Thanks again

THANKS for the follow-up and nice comments on the pictures and info! The seven-day HAL July option will be cheaper and shorter. BUT, it is the same problem as with the longer HAL cruise. That seven-day cruise gives you two of your three days in the fjords, just sailing through or "along", not having the full flexibility to stop, see more on land, around, etc. Either cruise could work. It is just a matter of what you BOTH want to see and do. The longer Celebrity trip also provides Oslo, plus two added western coast cities. Both options give you Flam and being able to do the train there. Below are some added Geiranger and other nearby pictures. In looking up Helsingborg in Sweden, it seems OK, but nothing that super unique or special. There are pro/con factors to consider on flying in and out of Heathrow versus Amsterdam's airport. There is some distance to cover from Heathrow to Dover.

Let us know any added questions, comments. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 21,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

At the end of our visit to Geiranger, our last fjord stop, here was this cute troll to whom Sharon decided to give a little hug and big chin tickle.:

FjordHuggingTroll.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. Opposite the “Seven Sisters” is “The Suitor”.:

FjordWaterfallSuitor-1.jpg

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From our journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here are two pictures. These four pictures also give you a sampling for how the skies can be sunny, plus offer sights of the farms, green fields, etc. along these beautiful internal coast lines of the fjords.

FjordsDramaticClouds2.jpg

FjordsFlowersFarmSetting.jpg

Here is another view of the “action” in Fish Market that is right next to Bergen’s main harbor.:

BergenMoreFishOptions.jpg

Terry has put up some great photos of the fjords. that said, you mentioned that the HAL cruise does a couple of other ports. One of them being Copenhagen. Copenhagen is jsut a marvelous city, and if possible should not be missed. it is really old world charm, along with modern elements.We loved our time in Copenhagen, so if you want another bit of advice, try and get there.

A few of my pix from our time in Copenhagen

By next year, the Little Mermaid will, once again, be back on her rock in Copenhagen harbor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe212.jpg

A short walk from there you arrive at the Nyhavn section of Copenhagen. A wonderful area of old world shops, restaurants and the great canal boat tour

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

You can also take in the Changing of the Guard at Amalienborg Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe233.jpg

Walking towards Stroget, the hub of the shopping area. a great pedestrian mall lined with wonderful shops, buildings and fountains

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster285.jpg

And don't forget to have your picture taken with Hans Christian Anderson, Copenhagen's favorite son

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe318.jpg

Walk a bit further and you will come to Rosenborg Castle, where you can view the crown jewels or wander the magnificent gardens.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe332.jpg

Hope this gives you another option.

Cheers

Len

There is just so much to see and experience in Copenhagen.

here are a few more pix to help you decide

From Langeline pier, just a very short walk and you will find many beautiful statues

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe221.jpg

The Marble Church is another amazing site you should try and visit

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster267.jpg

If you go on the Canal Boat tour, you will see Copenhagen from a different perspective

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster284.jpg

In the main square, you will find Copenhagen's Town Hall building

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe326.jpg

wander around the gardens of Rosenborg Castle

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe338.jpg

There are amazing churches and wonderful sights all over this magnificent city

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe351.jpg

Cheers

Len

Terry has put up some great photos of the fjords. that said, you mentioned that the HAL cruise does a couple of other ports. One of them being Copenhagen. Copenhagen is jsut a marvelous city, and if possible should not be missed. it is really old world charm, along with modern elements.We loved our time in Copenhagen, so if you want another bit of advice, try and get there. Cheers Len

THANKS, Len, for the nice comments on my photos and your very wise "push" to see and enjoy spectacular Copenhagen! We super loved that Danish Capital both during a one visit there in 2008 while doing the Baltics and Russia, plus being there at the start and end of our Norway Coast cruise.

You can check this previous posting about our walking back from Tivoli to the ship, plus other info on Copenhagen. Check here:

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

Below are just a few of my favorite pictures from Copenhagen. Happy to share lots more. There's so much to see and do in this great, charming town. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 21,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Bike riding in Copenhagen is super big and busy in the Danish Capital. You need to keep an eye out, especially during the early morning later afternoon “rush hours”. Folks are on the way to work with an “intensity”.

CPNBikeRiders.jpg

Copenhagen's famed Mermaid statue is fairly small but attracts large crowds. It is now back after spending the summer of 2010 in China.:

1A-CPH-MermaidCrowds.jpg

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain we walked past on our afternoon stroll back to the ship. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

Thanks so much

Jayfan

We went through this same question and opted for HAL (even though we very much like X). The HAL cruise was longer and a little cheaper plus HAL spent more time in almost every port. We than ended up expanding into a 19 day B2B that includes the Baltic and fjords. One point, be sure to look at where the cuise stops in Sweden, many do not actually dock in Stockholm, they dock in a town south of Stockholm. We ended up going on HAL out of Rotterdam instead of Dover just for this reason.

Kirk

WOne point, be sure to look at where the cuise stops in Sweden, many do not actually dock in Stockholm, they dock in a town south of Stockholm. We ended up going on HAL out of Rotterdam instead of Dover just for this reason. Kirk

YES! Very wise point. That docking with a couple of lines far south of Stockholm wastes a good hour or so each way. You want to be docking in Stockholm, enjoying the cruise in, saving time, etc.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks Len for your recommendation of Copenhagen. Another plus for the HAL cruise. I read the excursions for both cruises and the Celebrity ones sound the most scenic with ports in Geiranger, Molde and Olden. If only it stopped in Copenhagen would make the decision much easier !

Thank you Kirk for the advice of the Sweden port, will do more research on that. Thanks everyone for all the great pictures.

Ruth

I read the excursions for both cruises and the Celebrity ones sound the most scenic with ports in Geiranger, Molde and Olden. If only it stopped in Copenhagen would make the decision much easier! Thank you Kirk for the advice of the Sweden port, will do more research on that. Thanks everyone for all the great pictures. Ruth

Hi, Ruth! Sounds like your research is moving along well. It's hard to find the "perfect" cruise that fits all and every of your port and logistic needs. As I noted earlier, we love Copenhagen. Maybe it works for this cruise, maybe it will have to be a "next time" visit. It's great you got some excellent options to consider.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 21,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks Len for your recommendation of Copenhagen. Another plus for the HAL cruise. I read the excursions for both cruises and the Celebrity ones sound the most scenic with ports in Geiranger, Molde and Olden. If only it stopped in Copenhagen would make the decision much easier !

Thank you Kirk for the advice of the Sweden port, will do more research on that. Thanks everyone for all the great pictures.

Ruth

Ruth

We loved our one day in Copenhagen. We will probably never get back to this area again, so we just tried to see what interested us the most. WE also debated about a Fjord cruise, but again, this will probably be our one and only time to this part of the world, and we wanted to see more of the Baltic cities we have heard and dreamed about. Scenery is nice, but we just wanted to experience all these countries, their food, their money, and their cities. We are so glad that we included Copenhagen in our itinerary.

You have to make the choice, but really think waht is more important to you, and will you ever possibly return.

Cheers

Len

We're booked ! Decided to go with the 14 day HAL cruise from Dover. I am travelling with my mum who is 81 and says this is her last trip ! (Although she said that 2 cruises ago) She really wanted to see Copenhagen as well, so we will see some of the fjords, at least Flam is in the mix so we can do the train that sounds scenic and see a little of Denmark as well and a day in Dover area in the middle of the cruise.

Thank you all again for your tips and pictures.

Len, I hope your Giants make it to the world series ! Was hoping Halladay got the win last night since I am a Toronto Blue Jay fan but don't have a favourite to win the world series.

Thanks again to everyone, may be back later with more questions once I start figuring out what to do in the ports.

Ruth

Len, I hope your Giants make it to the world series ! Was hoping Halladay got the win last night since I am a Toronto Blue Jay fan but don't have a favourite to win the world series.

Ruth

LOL!! I have a feeling Len from New York is not interested in "those" Giants, the ones from San Fransisco. :D

Al

LOL!! I have a feeling Len from New York is not interested in "those" Giants, the ones from San Fransisco. :D

Al

You got that right Al. But no offense Ruth, anyone named Giants is OK in my book. :D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Archived