just got gyped out of cruise

Ellen Dio

But earned major brownie points at work - was just about to book 11/26 -12/6 on Maasdam - first HAL cruise ever - really won over by the posts here on CC but a work assignment has gotten in the way. Now I am more hyped to try Hal and have to book something before 1/1/11 as I have 10 vaca days to use or lose. So 12/7 to 12/15 time frame.

HELP - need inexpensive, fun and unique Caribbean itinerary leaving from FLA - like sea days so not port intensive and would do 10 days but prefer 7. Any ideas? Would love some suggestions from any of you very helpful and experienced HAL cruisers!!

I would suggest you go to http://www.hollandamerica.com and use the 'cruise finder' feature on the homepage. You enter the date, the number of days, the port from which you want to sail, leave blank which ship if you are open to any HAL ship and see what cruises they find for you to consider.

HAL Ryndam - 7 day Caribbean: Dec 5 - http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?durationCode=2&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=RY&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=R078&destCode=C&dateCode=

Try using 90-day Ticker website to look for cruise matches for your time frame, but none for your exact 12/7-12/15 schedule.

thanks all I've marked all the HAL cruises but wanted some personal opinions - I truly appreciate hearing people who are passionate about something give input. Thanks again.

Don't know how to use the 99 Ticker or where to find it but will look into it.

If you could do Dec 3rd (four days earlier), the Westerdam does a fabulous 7 night Southern Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale. It visits Half Moon Cay, Curacao, and Aruba, so you get three full sea days. That's what attracted us to this cruise last April... we love sea days also.

If you could do Dec 3rd (four days earlier), the Westerdam does a fabulous 7 night Southern Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale. It visits Half Moon Cay, Curacao, and Aruba, so you get three full sea days. That's what attracted us to this cruise last April... we love sea days also.

That is a good one with more sea days - we did it in February and were in Curacao for the last day of Carnival. What a blast that was. :)

But earned major brownie points at work - was just about to book 11/26 -12/6 on Maasdam - first HAL cruise ever - really won over by the posts here on CC but a work assignment has gotten in the way. Now I am more hyped to try Hal and have to book something before 1/1/11 as I have 10 vaca days to use or lose. So 12/7 to 12/15 time frame.

HELP - need inexpensive, fun and unique Caribbean itinerary leaving from FLA - like sea days so not port intensive and would do 10 days but prefer 7. Any ideas? Would love some suggestions from any of you very helpful and experienced HAL cruisers!!

The 12 /12/10 nieu amsterdam is a great bargain. have a look. New ship great captain . Happy sailing Alsas

Sadly the work "event" I must be here for is on the 5th but after that I can be out of here as long as I'm home by the 22nd. So any 7 or so days in there is great. HAL looks very promising - started this whole investigation because close friend performs on the ships from time to time and she enjoys them very much - she's on Seabourn and Cunard regularly too so if HAL is right up there I'd say that's a great thing.

Ironically I've been looking at a 90 day ticker and not realizing that's what it was! Keeps coming down to the same 3: 12/12 Ms. Nieuw Amsterdamn, 12/10 Ms. Westerdamn and 12/11 Ms. Eurodam - I prefer the itinerary on the Westerdam - is the new ship that much better that I should opt for Ms. Nieuw? If all costs are the same.

- she's on Seabourn and Cunard regularly too so if HAL is right up there I'd say that's a great thing.

No, HAL is not "up there" with Seabourn and maybe not even Cunard. It is good to compare HAL to similar price category ships, not ones costing quite a bit more.

However, that being said you may not want all the tangible and intangible extras higher price ships offer and that is where HAL shines for its basic travel experience: nice ships, large cabins, very comfortable beds, good food, great itineraries, exceptional staff, and interesting shore excursions and lectures. We like HAL for its over-all value.

Just a correction I was not comparing HAL to Seaborn and Cunard I said my friend performs on all three from time to time and says that even though it's less expensive and perhaps "not" in the same category SHE feels HAL compares WELL to Seaborn and Cunard - personally I have no idea I have been on Cunard and Celebrity and that's it. Couldn't afford Seaborn on a good day.

Still mulling this all over - just looked at the Nieuw Amsterdam and have to say I wasn't crazy about the decor but that wouldn't be enough to dissuade me from booking - looking at the others too.

TX Gent - isn't that a 10 day cruise? They get back on the 6th I think - that's the one I was almost booking - make sure you check out the Piano player/singer doing I think 2-3 shows that trip - she's great - Judy Carmichael

Niew Amsterdam and Eurodam have the Tamarind, along with the Pinnacle, so if you ate there a couple of nights would be a bit more upscale, and you could also rent a private retreat cabana for the week to just relax and be away from the crowd, and have a more personal service during the day. they have 7 days cruises but 4 port stops, but you might miss one GTurk or Half Moon Cay, or you could stay on board and just relax in your cabana when everyone is out on their tours.

Note: My darn cat on my Avatar 4 yrs old, feel in our pool on Thanksgiving yesterday, water temp 45 degrees, was in there for a good 20 - 30 min before we saw it, luckily for us, he clingged on the side got him out, severe hypothermia, rushed to vet , back home today, his body temp was 30 deg cel instead of 39 celcius, and all limp, Hes all good today. Yeah I know some dont like cats , but well hes my little buddy, would have been sad if he had drowned. Just wanted to share how happy I am today thats all.

Ironically I've been looking at a 90 day ticker and not realizing that's what it was! Keeps coming down to the same 3: 12/12 Ms. Nieuw Amsterdamn, 12/10 Ms. Westerdamn and 12/11 Ms. Eurodam - I prefer the itinerary on the Westerdam - is the new ship that much better that I should opt for Ms. Nieuw? If all costs are the same.

Have not been on the Niew Amsterdam, but have been on the Eurodam. We have also been on the sister ship of the Westerdam and much prefer the Westerdam. Half Moon Cay is heaven on earth. Have a great trip on whichever ship you choose.

We were on the Eurodam this past March for an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Absolutely loved it! The staff was fabulous and food was amazing, especially at all 3 specialty restaurants. The only thing we were sad to have missed was lunch/Dim Sum at the Tamarind. We should have booked ASAP had we known how great it was...after hearing about it from others.

I would love to go on the ship again! Have fun deciding!:)

No itinerary suggestion, but a comment the "Work is the curse of the Drinking Class!"

Note: My darn cat on my Avatar 4 yrs old, feel in our pool on Thanksgiving yesterday, water temp 45 degrees, was in there for a good 20 - 30 min before we saw it, luckily for us, he clingged on the side got him out, severe hypothermia, rushed to vet , back home today, his body temp was 30 deg cel instead of 39 celcius, and all limp, Hes all good today. Yeah I know some dont like cats , but well hes my little buddy, would have been sad if he had drowned. Just wanted to share how happy I am today thats all.

am thrilled to hear your cat is OK - that's very scary - 2 cats 1 dog here - and would be devastated if that happened to any of them

You said that you are looking for a cruise where the cost is low. If you can't find one on HAL you might try Princess.

Crown Princess 12/4 or 12/11 inside $349 and tax of $83.07 Total $432.07 for seven nights.

Western Caribbean - Roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale

I'm so glad your little buddy is okay. He's absolutely beautiful.

We love our cats and miss them terribly when we cruise. We had to spend a few days in a hotel while our house was being renovated this summer, and our cats stayed in the hotel with us. Who knows - maybe one day they'll cruise too :)

And yes, I vote for the Eurodam too ! Absolutely beautiful ship - lovely itinerary, we had an excellent cruise this past March. I hope one day to travel on her again.

Archived