Options/ports from location close to Raleigh

lbeck

I have a week of vacation that I need to take before the end of 2010. We were considering an excursion to the NC beaches just to get away. but the cruise deals that I've seen make a cruise option alluring. We were planning to spend about $1000 for lodging and maybe 2-300 for meals. With last-minute cruise deals to the Caribbean at 3-400 pp for a 4-7 day cruise, and free meals, we’re considering that option instead of the beaches.

My main questions regard transportation to a port and what to do with my car. Most of the cruises that I’ve seen are from Florida, which is a bit far for an auto trip and then there’s the question of what to do with the car and R/T to the port.

I’ve seen ports in Charleston, SC and Norfolk, VA, which would make a doable road trip to the port. Does anyone have any experience or advice on cruises from ports convenient to Raleigh, NC and advice on what to do with the car? We mitigated the car parking option for a more expensive, air-to-ship trip a few years ago by using a motel close to the airport that allowed us to park a week for free as long as we spent one night in the motel, and they provided free transportation to RDU.

Keep in mind that we’re budget oriented for this one and we’re comparing it with the $1500 total cost that we estimate for the NC beach option.

We live in Apex and are doing a repositioning cruise from Cape Liberty NJ (Newark) to San Juan on OcT 24 on the Celebrity Summit.

They have had some very nice prices trying to sell cabins. They just lowered the inside guarantee to $189 pp ( NC resident rate) for 6 night cruise.

I just looked and you can get AA flights RDU to LGA and SJU to RDU for $346 pp. You would need to get transportation from LGA to the port. A car service would run around $100. Cab from port to SJU is around $25.

We are taking Amtrak from Raleigh to Newark the day before and did a priceline hotel at the Newark airport, returning from San Juan by air. It was a bit less than flying in the day of the cruise.

Cape Liberty NJ (Newark) to San Juan on OcT 24
Whoa! Now that is close.

I'm not sure that we could shake things together by then. But the information that you have provided is helpful. Certainly the ~ $300 pp is good. The only problem cost and location wise is the Newark link that adds another $700. I'm hoping to find something within a convenient driving range (e.g., Norfolk/Charleston or thereabouts).

You have to remember the on-board expenses like tipping etc plus any land excursions.
I'm aware of these. We've done a couple of more advanced and well-planned cruises in Alaska and Australia/NZ. My only consideration for this one is some of the promotional material mentioning base cruise costs like what you have mentioned.

Being from Apex and probably more familiar with cruises closer to home is especially helpful.

Thanks

We've cruised from Charleston and Norfolk. There are limited cruises from Norfolk and I think there is only one more on Carnival this year and that is later this week or next.

We were in your position for a summer vacation and opted for a Carnival cruise from Charleston. It was an easy drive. While we wouldn't chose the Fantasy again, it was an enjoyable trip for the price.

Get online and check some of the websites for availability and pricing!

The closest ports from you (by driving) are Baltimore and jacksonville,FL.

I know that RCI's Enchantment of the Seas is full time out of baltimore, and I'm pretty sure that Carnival has a ship in JAX.

I would reccommend driving in the day before, if possible, to allow you mor time to relax on the first day of your cruise... If not, leave Raleigh around 2am, and you should be getting to either port just about when you can first get on!

Aloha,

John

The closest ports from you (by driving) are Baltimore and jacksonville,FL...

Norfolk and Charleston are probably closer, but have fewer options for the balance of 2010.

For Carnival, the Glory does a 2 day to nowhere on 10/23 and a 6 day to the Bahamas on 10/25 from Norfolk. These dates are tight but doable and you might get an excellent last minute price.

The Glory does a 6 day to the Bahamas on 11/1 (we have a party of 6 on this one), and the Fantasy does alternating Bahamas routes the rest of the winter season, both from Charleston. The Fantasy is actually based full time in Charleston for the time being. There is talk of adding a second Carnival ship there but the port and terminal are not really up to it yet (IMHO) pending a planned refurb.

Both ports have excellent on-site parking, but for 5 or 6 day or longer cruises many people find it cost effective to opt for a "stay and cruise" deal from nearby hotels. We cruise regularly out of Charleston. The parking on-site there is $15 per day, so if you get an $89-99-109 deal on one of the auction sites, it may actually be cheaper to arrrve a day early, tour the town, and leave the car at the hotel.

There is good recent info on both ports elsewhere in this sub-forum.

There may be other non-Carnival Norfolk cruises in your time frame. I'd suggest using the search tool at the top of the CC home page to find out more, or use a good TA to find all the possibilities for you.

Good luck with your hunt! Hope you find and book something that fills the bill.

M & J

Carnival Pride sails from Baltimore year round. Also sailing year round is Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. Celebrity Mercury left on her first Fall/Winter cruise on Monday and will sail from Baltimore thru Valentine's day on 9 and 12 night itineraries. After that she leaves the Celebrity fleet.

I have DD in Raleigh and another in Charlotesville, VA. Both cruise. Both used Baltimore because of MEME being 20 miles from port and able to drive and carry luggage to boot. :D

Raleigh has SWA. SWA to FLL is daily I think and a wanna get away flight is often under $100PP sign up for DING! Flight from RDU to FLL is less than 2 hours! Could also do JAX (a cheap SWA destination) FLL also serves Miami for SWA. Can fly to LGA now for flights out of NYC.

It is 6 hours from Raleigh to Baltimore port by 95 and 301. Parking is $15/day in Baltimore or can do the stay and cruise parking included if come the day before. Baltimore has great restaurants and things to do at the Inner Harbor so that is fun.

Norfolk has parking at the dock ($12/day but look it up at Norfolk port parking) but can be a bit of a hassle (June trip with lots of baby equipment) Could check for park and cruise hotels. This trip is 3 hours by car from Raleigh. (Bear in mind that it takes MEME longer as I do stop to go to restroom and kids have a heavier foot!:))

Charleston to Raleigh seems to be also about 5 hours. There was a wonderful aquarium right by the dock that was fun to go through if you decide to go a day early and I know the parking is right there by the dock in covered garages.

Good luck. Planning trips is almost as much fun as going on them and you have just tons of choices.

Archived