Question about calling to ask for an upsell...

rmartin1286

I am 13 days out now from sailing on the Pearl at the end of the month, we're booked on an inside cabin and I've been waiting for the unobstructed oceanviews to come down, and STILL the price hasn't dropped. I keep waiting for it to happen, but it doesn't. So I was trying to think of what I could do to get an upsell at a cheaper rate than Norwegian's website price. But here's my dilemma: I booked through *****.com, which I love, but the TA I booked through is not working with me very much on the upsell situation. Everytime I email or call her for updates on the price, she seems disinterested and almost annoyed. So, I was wondering if I could perhaps call Norwegian and ask them? When I log into ncl.com, my booking pops up and everything. Can I ask norwegian for an upsell, or do I HAVE to use my TA from Vacations to Go?

I'm sorry, I know this is confusing, but I was really hoping to have an oceanview cabin by now, and it's getting really close now and I still haven't gotten one. :( Has anyone else ever been in this situation before?

I am 13 days out now from sailing on the Pearl at the end of the month, we're booked on an inside cabin and I've been waiting for the unobstructed oceanviews to come down, and STILL the price hasn't dropped. I keep waiting for it to happen, but it doesn't. So I was trying to think of what I could do to get an upsell at a cheaper rate than Norwegian's website price. But here's my dilemma: I booked through *****.com, which I love, but the TA I booked through is not working with me very much on the upsell situation. Everytime I email or call her for updates on the price, she seems disinterested and almost annoyed. So, I was wondering if I could perhaps call Norwegian and ask them? When I log into ncl.com, my booking pops up and everything. Can I ask norwegian for an upsell, or do I HAVE to use my TA from Vacations to Go?

I'm sorry, I know this is confusing, but I was really hoping to have an oceanview cabin by now, and it's getting really close now and I still haven't gotten one. :( Has anyone else ever been in this situation before?

I just called the reassignment desk and asked. I was told, they don't take request. Upsells are based on need and calls are random choice.

Some day soon I may call my TA as I'd love to upsell to a balcony.:rolleyes:

Good luck.

I see that you are still 53 days away from your cruise. I was advised to never call before 2-3 weeks prior to sailing. Anyone calling before then is immediately refused and have only succeeded in annoying them. I called last May, just 10 days before our sail date, told them which cabin I wanted to upsell to and what cabin I currently had. They were very nice, quoted a price and I grabbed it. If you wait about 40 days and try again, you might have better luck. I hope it works for you! :)

I see that you are still 53 days away from your cruise. I was advised to never call before 2-3 weeks prior to sailing. Anyone calling before then is immediately refused and have only succeeded in annoying them. I called last May, just 10 days before our sail date, told them which cabin I wanted to upsell to and what cabin I currently had. They were very nice, quoted a price and I grabbed it. If you wait about 40 days and try again, you might have better luck. I hope it works for you! :)

I just called to get general information about how the upsells work. I did not give the reassignement person my cruise info nor did I ask for an upsell. I figure, I'll wait untill closer to time.:D Thanks

I called and got through to NCL a few minutes ago, and the woman told me to call back 5-7 days before sailing, which to me seems like that's cutting it a little close. But whatever, at this point it's looking like the cruise isn't going to drop in price anymore, mostly because the cruise leaving on the same boat a week before (6 days from now) is the same price...so there you go. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens, right?

Upsells are definitely a "Don't call us; we'll call you" thing. The reservations people do NOT even handle the upsells. It's done in a different part of the company. I would not hold your breath. If you booked early and paid full freight, you'd be most likely to get an offer.....but they may not offer any...we got one a day or two before sailing but it was a suite level change. This time we got the call 6 weeks out. Never can tell.

If that fails get to the boat as early as you can for boarding and go to reception and ask what rooms they have and how much $.

Every time I've sailed on NCL (and Carnival) they have had signs at registration, and at the service desk on board, indicating that the ship is full and that no upgrades are available. Most people here also indicate that trying to get an upgrade after arriving at the port isn't something you should expect to be able to do.

We were on the Pearl last month for a 5 day Pacific Coastal cruise. Had booked an AB Penthouse. About 14 days out I noticed that there was still one AA owner's suite available. Contacted my TA and told her that I would be willing to pay up to a certain amount for the upsell/upgrade. Got a call back in about 20 minutes from the TA and was told that the upgrade was approved AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to me. I love my TA....

Ray

We were on the Pearl last month for a 5 day Pacific Coastal cruise. Had booked an AB Penthouse. About 14 days out I noticed that there was still one AA owner's suite available. Contacted my TA and told her that I would be willing to pay up to a certain amount for the upsell/upgrade. Got a call back in about 20 minutes from the TA and was told that the upgrade was approved AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to me. I love my TA....

Ray

Congratulations Ray WTG!

Another reason I can't understand the policy of not being able to recommend a good TA:(

1st cruise with NCL on the Pearl the end of this month. Noticed the price for AF had dropped dramatically. I called my TA and informed him that I was willing to pay for a upgrade from BC to AF. He called NCL and after a 10 minute wait he was able to get me the upgrade for $50/pp and which included the senior rate since my mother is traveling with me and over the age of 55. Cannot wait to be on the Pearl. Already booked the Spirit for 2011.

As a "retired" travel agent, I can see the problem here. Many people will just cruise the internet looking for the best deal, with no regard to any personalized service they might receive. You might get lucky, but many of those large agencies are nothing more than huge booking engines - booking people at "group rates" because they get the volume, with no real service that comes with it - and if you ever need more personalized assistance, you might not get it. Booking with a smaller online or local agency generally gets you better service (sometimes at a higher cost)- you can walk into their office (or call directly) and look the agent in the eye and ask for what you need. Not saying that anyone should book with a local or smaller agency, but just reminding everyone that "you get what you pay for".

BTW, I quit working because it was actually costing me almost as much as I made - resulting in pay at less than $2 per hour. It's hard to compete with the large booking engines. Have been thinking about rejoining a local cruise-only agency - I like the perks that I can offer people through one of these agencies. I have started some research on their fares vs the big online conglomerates, and they are VERY competitive. The cruise lines work with those companies to make everyone happy, and happy clients make for a much easier job!

Robin

So, Robin, (Fishbait), is it true that if you're booked into a group, you won't get an upsell offer?:confused:

If you are booked into a group, it probably means you got a group rate which is usually lower than a non group rate. So, if you want to pay more for a non group rate, you are taking a chance on getting an upsell. There are very few who get them .

If you are booked into a group, it probably means you got a group rate which is usually lower than a non group rate. So, if you want to pay more for a non group rate, you are taking a chance on getting an upsell. There are very few who get them .

Well, yes, I did get a good rate and a pretty nice OBC too.

Does this mean I no longer have to be glued to my phone and computer and should just resign myself to my AE ??? :p

Well, yes, I did get a good rate and a pretty nice OBC too.

Does this mean I no longer have to be glued to my phone and computer and should just resign myself to my AE ??? :p

If you booked through any agent, they will call the agent, who will in turn call you if they are willing to do so. I am not sure if they upsell cabins sold at group rates, but I suspect they treat them similarly to CAS passengers - the discount more or less negates the chance to upsell. Perhaps it has more to do with the agency booked with itself - I would guess that certain large online booking engines will not call the client and the Reassignment Desk knows this - so perhaps when they see the agency name, they just move on to the next on the list. I have done some trial look-sees to price an upcoming cruise, my local cruise-only agency nets out to only $100 more total than the cheapest online bid (on one of those sites where you get bids from different agencies), and they are lower than most and are right down the street. Won't matter to me anyway, I will book thru CAS and can't get an upsell :o. Previous to CAS bookings, my only upsell offers came when I booked with my old agency - but the upsell offers were VERY high, so I refused (last one was over $1000 pp to go from an AC to an A3). As far as offers go, it seemed I was more likely to get an upsell offer if the agent noted the record with "Willing to upsell, please call". You can always see if your agent is willing to willing to note this on your record to help your chances!

Robin

Thanks, Robin~Very helpful information.

I just have to wonder about the statement of "if they are willing to do so." Since upsells still cost more, then doesn't the TA give up a chance to make more money via commission?

My TA is a one-person/ work from home TA. However, she is affiliated with a large company, and it's that large company's name I see on my cruise docs. So, in my case, the cruiseline is looking at the large company rather than my individual TA. ? Am I correct here?

Archived