Permission to take Child out of Country??

audekat

I am a Single mother and I am going to take my son (less that 2 YRO at time of Cruise) on a Cruise. I have a Passport for him.

My question is: Since the father is not involved what do I need to document that I have permission to take my son out of the country?

I have his Official Certified (with the Seal) Birth Certificate that lists only me, it says "unknown" for the father.

Will I need to take his Passport and the Birth Cert? Will just his Passport be suffcient? Do I need a court Document stating I have sole custody?

Thanks for any help!

Kat

It would be nice to have a letter from the father, however, it is not necessary. We were told we had to have a notorized letter from our DIL to take our grandson on the Legend last year. I son got the letter, but forgot it at home. No one asked for the letter at embarkation or when boarding the ship in the four ports. A bc was all we needed.

I am a Single mother and I am going to take my son (less that 2 YRO at time of Cruise) on a Cruise. I have a Passport for him.

My question is: Since the father is not involved what do I need to document that I have permission to take my son out of the country?

I have his Official Certified (with the Seal) Birth Certificate that lists only me, it says "unknown" for the father.

Will I need to take his Passport and the Birth Cert? Will just his Passport be suffcient? Do I need a court Document stating I have sole custody?

Thanks for any help!

Kat

Take the passport and BC, unless the father has established paternity (based on what you are saying he has not). The reason for the passport is obvious the BC is to show that there is no father involved.

Not trying to hijack your thread. But this did make me call Carnival. I have read somewhere on this board (I think) that if both parents are trvaling, that you must have written permission from the other parent to bring the child onboard.

When I talked to the Carnival agent I explained my situation:

My wife and I are going on the cruise. We are bringing our 19 year old with us. He is hers from a previous marrage. Will we need the written permission from his father?

She told me "No"

He is considered a minor until he turns 21. However since his mother will be traveling with us we will not need the letter.

The letter is only required if the person is under 21 and niether parent is traveling. Is this correct? Anyone else have any experience with this situation?

A 19 year old is an adult. His father may be paying support but that has nothing to do with the fact that for all purposes in the US a 19 year old is an adult. (Some adults do not have the privilege to consume alcohol.)

On some lines the 19 year old can travel alone, and he is free to go wherever he wants (from a legal standpoint).

The only thing that had me worried was reading this in faq's on Carnivals website.

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

You are not traveling with a minor.

Thanks for any help!

Kat

If same last name, passport is sufficient...bring birth cert. for your peace of mind.

I have travelled out of the country (including Mexico) with my 2 children from my first marriage who have a different last name from mine. I have never been questioned or stopped by anyone, anywhere. That being said, I always bring the court order awarding me sole custody - just in case. :)

I have travelled out of the country (including Mexico) with my 2 children from my first marriage who have a different last name from mine. I have never been questioned or stopped by anyone, anywhere. That being said, I always bring the court order awarding me sole custody - just in case. :)

I also travel with my custody order - dating from 1993. My son is turning 18 in a week (and we won't have to worry about this!). I got his passport at age 12 without his father present (whereabouts unknown since 1994) and had to get a notarized document that he could not be found. Went to Ireland no questions asked.

Sailing Sat for his bday present - just to be safe I called our cruise line to confirm I would only need his DL and BC (PP expired 2 wks ago and I am waiting til 18 to renew) and was told - quote - You're his mother - as long as he has ID you're fine.

I know almost-18 is diffent from 2 but I really appreciated the sentiment.

Being a single parent is tough enough without people questioning your right to travel with your child - enjoy your vacation!!! Hope you can get some time to yourself - you deserve it:-)

I also travel with my custody order - dating from 1993. My son is turning 18 in a week (and we won't have to worry about this!). I got his passport at age 12 without his father present (whereabouts unknown since 1994) and had to get a notarized document that he could not be found. Went to Ireland no questions asked.

Sailing Sat for his bday present - just to be safe I called our cruise line to confirm I would only need his DL and BC (PP expired 2 wks ago and I am waiting til 18 to renew) and was told - quote - You're his mother - as long as he has ID you're fine.

I know almost-18 is diffent from 2 but I really appreciated the sentiment.

Being a single parent is tough enough without people questioning your right to travel with your child - enjoy your vacation!!! Hope you can get some time to yourself - you deserve it:-)

There is no reason to wait for his birthday to renew his passport. Anyone over 16 (I think it is 16 , it might be 15) gets a 10 year passport.

There is no reason to wait for his birthday to renew his passport. Anyone over 16 (I think it is 16 , it might be 15) gets a 10 year passport.

It's 16. And children who are 16 no longer need both parents to be present or to have consented to their having a passport.

Archived