Internet Access from the ship

ralphie

Okay I want to preface this with an explanation. I just got off of the Brilliance of the Seas 12 day cruise in the Mediterranean. I absolutely loved it. That said, please do not waste even one dollar trying to access your email or other internet while on this cruise. It is far slower than dial up used to be (remember dial up?). You will be sorry. I went around and around with the staff trying to get some sort of decent connection. It does not exist while on ship. Save your money and go to an internet cafe while in port. I only hope that someone from RCL reads this and looks into the issue. I work in the internet industry. I realize the limitations and I also realize the potential of this technology. RCL you are at least 10-15 years behind the technology. This could be a huge sales point if you would just look into it. It is not rocket science and can be solved with simple hardware available from almost any electronics store. Please look into it. As a stockholder and a customer, I am begging you.

Thanks,

Ralph

i was on Splenndour of the seas at beginning of october, take your netbook on shore with you , Dubrovonik, free connection near Lacoste shop on may street in old town,

Corfu, Santorini, kusadasi just look for a bar /coffee shop with free wifi (compare prices of drinks and you may get beer and wifi for 2,50 euro) also Cofu had a free hotspot in some areas

If you are referring to European cruises, then I agree it's a very slow connection.

However, it really does depend on where you are in the world on the ship. Alaska and Hawaii was pretty good, with spotty connections at sea across the Pacific.

Australia was horrible; even worse than Europe.

Caribbean is usually good, also.

I agree that using land hotspots is a good idea, but I only do that if the location is very close to the ship. I don't want to schlepp my notebook around with me all day, so I do my email, etc., and then return the notebook to the cabin before going out for the day.

Archived