Cairo-Bring Dollar Bills

phantomjww

Because there was NO ONE around and we were looking for the toliet in a small Italian town close to where we were spending three months. I actually went around the block twice following the sign and entering the toliet area then dragging the children back again to look at the same hole. One of the experiences that proves you can travel even if you are language limited and needy of a guide to smooth things out --- do it anyway and have a ball. Laundry and bathrooms seem to offer more memories and laughs than tours and towers. :o

I've enjoyed reading your posts. One question,were there any western style toilets or were they all squatter style??

We did a cruise of the Med last spring and all the ones we used were regular toilets in Cairo, Alexandria, Turkey, Greece. Sometimes a challenge to figure out how to flush them, though. Egypt was the only place where you had to "pay to pee." We found that one euro would "cover" the tip for two or three people. They wanted at least a euro and would have been happier with two.

Tucker in Texas

We did a cruise of the Med last spring and all the ones we used were regular toilets in Cairo, Alexandria, Turkey, Greece. Sometimes a challenge to figure out how to flush them, though. Egypt was the only place where you had to "pay to pee." We found that one euro would "cover" the tip for two or three people. They wanted at least a euro and would have been happier with two.

Tucker in Texas

Then you were lucky. I've had to "pay to pee" in both Turkey and Greece, as well as in Italy, France, England, Denmark, Finland, and I'm sure many other countries that I cannot now remember......;)

To the poster who asked about Western-style toilets, in most places frequented by tourists in Egypt, they will have several stalls. Some may be Western style and some squat-style. In these cases, there will usually be long lines for the Western-style toilets. If you can manage the squat-style you can be in and out faster. This happened numerous times on land trips in Egypt and Turkey.

In a VERY few places, there may only be squat style toilets. The only place in Egypt I recall encountering this was after our early morning balloon ride in Luxor at the spot where we were waiting to take the boat back across the Nile.

I've enjoyed reading your posts. One question,were there any western style toilets or were they all squatter style??

Thanks. In Europe the only "hole" was in France.... On a tour in Provence at a roadside stop..... Had been waiting the whole trip for one ! Then iwas glad it was the only one !!!

Our next trip we didnt encounter any. And our recent trip to Egypt was the same. Most were o.k. But the one at the valley of the kings --stay away !! Worst bathroom I have EVER been in.

I have paid to pee (as it has been called) in almost every foreign country I have been in. Just depends. Most expensive was Pisa in Italy.

Scuse' the typos, I am on new iPad and it is touchy to type on......

To be honest, we only needed to use the facilities a few times in those countries as we were on a private tour with a private guide of only eight people or less. The driver/guide had no shame pulling up to the finest hotel in town and directing you to the rest rooms. From the ship to Cairo, there was a toilet on the bus.

However, I always made sure I had "bathroom money" on me and toilet paper.

Tucker in Texas

Our next trip we didnt encounter any. And our recent trip to Egypt was the same. Most were o.k. But the one at the valley of the kings --stay away !! Worst bathroom I have EVER been in.

Correction to my own post :eek:

The horrible horrible bathroom was at the Step pyramid in Saqqara NOT the Valley of the Kings. Sorry.

Please do not give the children money. It encourages them to beg and not all their parents are happy about it. We saw kids getting a clip around the ear a number of times in Luxor. We also saw a policeman hitting someone with a stick because he was hassling and following some tourists. Due to complaints over the years about "hassle", whether it be from begging or people selling stuff , resulted in some visitors never wanting to return. The Egyptian government has been educating people about this and it is finally beginning to take effect.

Archived