Cholera on Haiti

jo anne

Dagnabitall! I was in Labadee last Friday! Shouldn't I be dead by now?

All I have for my "trouble" is a head cold. Which, by the way, I showed symptoms of on Thursday - the day before I got to Haiti. So the advice that you're far more likely to catch something on the plane to your embarkation port is, sadly in my case, quite accurate.

I'm probably wasting my time with typing this... but just in case anyone wants to start using some common sense on this issue, here's a rule of thumb that will solve all our problems!

No information about cholera in Haiti applies to Labadee unless:

1) the author has reasonably reliable and relevant credentials,

2) the author is personally familiar with the facility at Labadee, and

3) the author specifically addresses Labadee by name.

All other information is either not reliable, or not applicable.

The obvious point here is that it simply cannot be overstated how completely isolated Labadee is from the general land area and population of the rest of Haiti.

The cruise line will monitor the situation. They will act in their best interest, which in this case, completely aligns with your best interest.

Theron (with a bruised forehead)

I'm probably wasting my time with typing this... but just in case anyone wants to start using some common sense on this issue, here's a rule of thumb that will solve all our problems!

No information about cholera in Haiti applies to Labadee unless:

1) the author has reasonably reliable and relevant credentials,

2) the author is personally familiar with the facility at Labadee, and

3) the author specifically addresses Labadee by name.

All other information is either not reliable, or not applicable.

The obvious point here is that it simply cannot be overstated how completely isolated Labadee is from the general land area and population of the rest of Haiti.

The cruise line will monitor the situation. They will act in their best interest, which in this case, completely aligns with your best interest.

Theron (with a bruised forehead)

I agree but then disargee. People need to express there concerns be it here or somewhere else. It is an important outlet for their emotions, fears and misunderstandings. These are all intelligent people who are just confused , concerned and have every right to be so. One of the worst fears that people have is their safety needs.

Follow the CDC guidelines.....................

I wish everyone on this great board peace, and a happy thanksgiving.

The CDC has their recommendations. Then let it be

I agree but then disargee. People need to express there concerns be it here or somewhere else. It is an important outlet for their emotions, fears and misunderstandings. These are all intelligent people who are just confused , concerned and have every right to be so. One of the worst fears that people have is their safety needs.

Follow the CDC guidelines.....................

I wish everyone on this great board peace, and a happy thanksgiving.

The CDC has their recommendations. Then let it be

You are absolutely 100% correct. People do need a place to voice opinions and even state their fears. Unfortunately, far too often people have been voicing their opinions and fears as though they are facts, and that can be very misleading and alarming to other members.

If someone were to say something like "I'm scared of getting Cholera because I heard that it can kill quickly" I'm sure people here would do everything they can to help alleviate those fears.

It's when people come on here and say things like "Cholers Kills within 4 hours" and "RCI is putting peoples lives at risk by continuing to go to Labadee", well, those may very well be their opinions but to state them as if they are fact without any medical or scientific reasoning leads to nothing but the propagation of fear.

There are well documented conditions under which Cholera is spread and its effect on people. By ignoring basic facts regarding the spread of the disease, and how it relates specifically to the conditions available in Labadee, is irresponsible and not helpful to the discussion.

I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving as well :)

Ok its been over 4 more hours. you have to be dead by now right. :D

Dagnabitall! I was in Labadee last Friday! Shouldn't I be dead by now?

All I have for my "trouble" is a head cold. Which, by the way, I showed symptoms of on Thursday - the day before I got to Haiti. So the advice that you're far more likely to catch something on the plane to your embarkation port is, sadly in my case, quite accurate.

Archived