Cholera on Haiti

jo anne

Staying on the ship, which already has a number of days at sea, as opposed to scheduling another port, is not the purpose of this cruise or me paying RCCL for it.

Just where would you like to see RCI divert a 1000 foot ship with 3000 passengers to? Either you stay on the ship in Labadee or you get another sea day. Either way you stay on the ship which as you stated is not the purpose of the cruise or what you are paying RCI for. It seems that your only other option is to cancel and avoid the entire situation.

We were in Labadee on 10 Nov. NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!! I repeat NO PROBLEMS!!!!!

It was raining lightly off and on most of the day, but most people got off, spent money, etc and no one got cholera. Don't sweat it. It's not an issue at all on Labadee and they tell you to drink and eat what is provided by the ship. A lot of people got in the water and swam and walked through standing water (from the rain they've had) and we all survived. They need the money and assitance coming from RCI and it's passengers.

We sat on the beach in the rain. I just love being there, although it's better in sunshine.:D

No problem with the Cholera but Royal is having some issues with the locals working at Labadee asking the passengers for money. We had one local beach monitor ask us to go get him some lunch while we were relaxing on our lounger on the beach.

No problem with the Cholera but Royal is having some issues with the locals working at Labadee asking the passengers for money. We had one local beach monitor ask us to go get him some lunch while we were relaxing on our lounger on the beach.

That is interesting. When we were there last February RCI distributed a handout regarding the tipping policy for workers setting up chairs. The policy was that they were not be tipped. The workers, however, were not shy about acting as if they expected a tip. Now one of them wanted you to get him some food.

I would think that RCI should be able to get employee behavior under control if they wanted to. If the workers were truly at risk of loosing their jobs I doubt that they would be so open about ignoring the rules.

I just came back from Haiti (the real Haiti, not Labadee). Really I'd be more concerned about an extra sea day & norovirus (& I am not concerned about that). Good hand washing, clean water. IF on the off chance 1 would get cholera, it's actually an easy fix- for folks who have clean water and access to health care. 1 dose of oral doxycycline and lots of fluids- you are fixed. It's only bad for people who don't have access to that.Folks that can't down the mountain by foot in time.... not so much.

There are dangers everywhere in life. I am cruising and having a good time. I earned it. Love the group bringing in supplies in the earlier posts. We were going to bring in new womens gym shoes and leave them in the straw market. To each his own. I won't operate as a victim and can't enable victim mentality. If you want them to "make it a sea day" just stay on the boat.

Why the drama? Doesn't it bore you?

Karen

I just came back from Haiti (the real Haiti, not Labadee). Really I'd be more concerned about an extra sea day & norovirus (& I am not concerned about that). Good hand washing, clean water. IF on the off chance 1 would get cholera, it's actually an easy fix- for folks who have clean water and access to health care. 1 dose of oral doxycycline and lots of fluids- you are fixed. It's only bad for people who don't have access to that.Folks that can't down the mountain by foot in time.... not so much.

There are dangers everywhere in life. I am cruising and having a good time. I earned it. Love the group bringing in supplies in the earlier posts. We were going to bring in new womens gym shoes and leave them in the straw market. To each his own. I won't operate as a victim and can't enable victim mentality. If you want them to "make it a sea day" just stay on the boat.

Why the drama? Doesn't it bore you?Karen

It appears that some folks are not happy with making decisions just for themselves. They want to make sure that their decision is forced onto 3000 other people too.

Oh yeah, and they would probably be quite bored without the drama.

We saw a couple of people bringing food to the beach monitors. I don't know if they asked for it or it was just provided by people thinking they were helping. And we always tip the guys setting up chairs on the beach. Nothing we'll miss and they can probably use it. RCI never told us or handed out anything on either trip about tipping so that is news to us if its's their policy. We understood that tipping was standard.

its diappointing to see people responding so hashly to reasonable concerns.

It is the unreasonable concerns that are becoming a bit frustrating.

Exactly! I haven't seen the first harsh reaction to a reasonable concern here yet!

:rolleyes:

Theron

RCCL is watching the situation in Haiti very very closely. They are telling us to hold off on sending relief supplies on their ships next week as they are unsure they are going to be stopping in Labadee next week. They haven't cancelled but they are saying they are watching the situation very closely.

I'll be in Haiti mid December on Explorer. I was really looking forward to taking the cultural tour excursion as it was very highly recommended on these boards. Unfortunately, I think I will cancel that and just turn Haiti into a beach day. Part of the cultural tour experience would be eating some of the local food, and I don't know if that would be the best idea. I know I could just pass on that part, but for $130 for two of us, if I'm not going to get the whole experience I'd rather just sit on the beach. :)

I should say that my reason for canceling the tour isn't because I'm afraid of dying, just that I think it would put a damper on my trip if I had to spend the ride back to NJ tethered to a toilet... :eek:

Why the drama? Doesn't it bore you?

Karen

Great post. Our DD is getting ready to go over for her 3rd time. Her group brings their own food and water. Are we worried, nope. :)

We saw a couple of people bringing food to the beach monitors. I don't know if they asked for it or it was just provided by people thinking they were helping. And we always tip the guys setting up chairs on the beach. Nothing we'll miss and they can probably use it. RCI never told us or handed out anything on either trip about tipping so that is news to us if its's their policy. We understood that tipping was standard.
Next time read your Map/Portguide that they always give you.

First time cruiser here... We cruise in Navigator next week (stops in Montego Bay and Labadee). What happens if RCCL cancels the stop in Labadee? Will they go somewhere else or just make it another sea day?

There's really no way to know this ahead of time. It depends on what alternatives are physically possible to reach on your itinerary, and of course, whether those alternatives are available on the days that would be needed.

For your particular itinerary, some possibilities might include Ocho Rios on that same day (but that's quite a bit farther, so it may be just a part of the day), or if they rearrange the at-sea days, you may be able to hit one of the ports in The Bahamas.

Theron

RCI suggests that we tip certain crew and it is generally agreed that we should. RCI does not want us to tip the workers on Labadee so why in that instance is it perfectly fine for people to do whatever they want? It is not a matter of whether you will miss it or not.

Now we have people feeding the workers. Yeah I know, it is just a little food and the Hatians are so poor. Over time more an more workers will start asking passengers to get them food as they see other workers getting it. I can foresee this snowballing into a big issue for RCI. RCI sets policy for a reason. When some policies are just shrugged off it has the potential to create big ramifications.

I wonder about the food requests because I know RCI already feeds the workers. I've seen it.

As for the tips, I have tipped them in the past only because I never heard or read anything saying not to. If RCI is telling people not to tip, then we shouldn't. That would only make them expect it more and more from future guests.

I wonder about the food requests because I know RCI already feeds the workers. I've seen it.

As for the tips, I have tipped them in the past only because I never heard or read anything saying not to. If RCI is telling people not to tip, then we shouldn't. That would only make them expect it more and more from future guests.

I doubt I'm the only one who has been asked by one of the beach monitors to get them food. This was our first time on Labadee and we certainly didn't find it a relaxing environment. BND also witnessed passengers bringing food to workers. I'm certain this wasn't a voluntary action but responding to a request out of compassion. We spoke to many others on board who were asked for money. Royal apparently is aware of the problems but it appears to be more severe than what I was aware of. I didn't report what I experienced because I didn't want anyone to lose their job.

Is there something happening there/ that we shou1d watch out 4 as customers/ PEOP1E DYING

RCCL is watching the situation in Haiti very very closely. They are telling us to hold off on sending relief supplies on their ships next week as they are unsure they are going to be stopping in Labadee next week. They haven't cancelled but they are saying they are watching the situation very closely.

Oh, I'm sure you're right.

I re-read my post and it sounds a little as though I'm questioning the reports. No, no. What I wonder is why they are asking.

No offense taken. I was trying to figure out that very same question. I thought maybe they bring the food they receive from passengers back to their families at the end of the day. It certainly was an awkward situation. We did notice signs telling passengers not to tip the workers but I think the majority ignore these signs. I know Royal has invested millions into Labadee and they really need to nip these problems in the bud before they get out of hand.

RCI suggests that we tip certain crew and it is generally agreed that we should. RCI does not want us to tip the workers on Labadee so why in that instance is it perfectly fine for people to do whatever they want? It is not a matter of whether you will miss it or not.

Now we have people feeding the workers. Yeah I know, it is just a little food and the Hatians are so poor. Over time more an more workers will start asking passengers to get them food as they see other workers getting it. I can foresee this snowballing into a big issue for RCI. RCI sets policy for a reason. When some policies are just shrugged off it has the potential to create big ramifications.

Okay wow. This was our second trip there and no one EVER said anything about it. It's not like we were smuggling alcohol and I remember in March everyone talking about tipping generously.

Archived