Cholera on Haiti

jo anne

We do an awful lot of international travel (about 7 months a year) and sometimes get sick and tired of our fellow Americans and their poor "travel attitude" and absolute ignorance. Cholera is a serious illness and should certainly not be taken lightly. However, as has already been posted, this disease is spread by contaminated water and sometimes contaminated food. RCI can easily deal with this issue on their isolated Haitian site by simply using their own water and food (this is done as a matter of course). We do not hear a cry of avoiding Florida because of Dengue Fever (there have been cases in the Keys and this is spread by vectors (mosquitoes). In fact, one wonders if the alarmists about Haiti are more based on racisit feelings than fact since we have not heard many comments about Dengue (also an issue in Mexico and much of South and Central America). Dengue is also a serious illness that, unlike Cholera, cannot be simply controlled by using good food and water. A few days ago we were on the Grand Princess when she made her initial call at Santo Domingo, DR (a fun port of call) and actually heard some folks say they were staying on the ship because of the Cholera in Haiti. Now keep in mind that the situation in Haiti has nothing to do with the Dominican Republic other than they share a common island. I mentioned to one of those passengers that the USA shares a common continent with Mexico so perhaps we should all leave the USA due to violence (and Dengue) in Mexico. It is really difficult to combat traveler's ignorance, but we would urge any cruiser to carefully research these issues before they jump to all kinds of ridiculous conclusions.

Hank

We stopped there a few weeks ago , while cruising on the Liberty of the Seas... I was very impressed with the efforts that were taken to make certain everything was done to protect passengers ...

I did not go into the village or take a tour... just stayed on the beach area... but even in the restrooms they had a lady that sanatized every toilet after every person walked out ... ( these were the same passengers that we traveled with the whole week...) so I would say RCCI is taking every effort to make sure everyone will be safe...

they are saying now that it is inevitable that cholera will spread to Port a Prince and the other side of the island .... I think they said Santa Domingo..... the other island that they are connected to....this is not good...even though they told the Haitians not to drink the water they still do it because they can not afford to buy bottled water and no one has given them tablets to purify the water....so things are very bad there....

they are saying now that it is inevitable that cholera will spread to Port a Prince and the other side of the island .... I think they said Santa Domingo..... the other island that they are connected to....this is not good...even though they told the Haitians not to drink the water they still do it because they can not afford to buy bottled water and no one has given them tablets to purify the water....so things are very bad there....

Geography lesson. Haiti shares a border with the country of the Dominican Republic. People need to relax. The risk to cruise passengers is almost nonexistent. You're more likely to trip and break your leg.

BTW, what Hlitner posted is very true. What exactly is pompous? That they travel a lot? Wow.

lol i better leave ft lauderdale quick... lol well said.

We do an awful lot of international travel (about 7 months a year) and sometimes get sick and tired of our fellow Americans and their poor "travel attitude" and absolute ignorance. Cholera is a serious illness and should certainly not be taken lightly. However, as has already been posted, this disease is spread by contaminated water and sometimes contaminated food. RCI can easily deal with this issue on their isolated Haitian site by simply using their own water and food (this is done as a matter of course). We do not hear a cry of avoiding Florida because of Dengue Fever (there have been cases in the Keys and this is spread by vectors (mosquitoes). In fact, one wonders if the alarmists about Haiti are more based on racisit feelings than fact since we have not heard many comments about Dengue (also an issue in Mexico and much of South and Central America). Dengue is also a serious illness that, unlike Cholera, cannot be simply controlled by using good food and water. A few days ago we were on the Grand Princess when she made her initial call at Santo Domingo, DR (a fun port of call) and actually heard some folks say they were staying on the ship because of the Cholera in Haiti. Now keep in mind that the situation in Haiti has nothing to do with the Dominican Republic other than they share a common island. I mentioned to one of those passengers that the USA shares a common continent with Mexico so perhaps we should all leave the USA due to violence (and Dengue) in Mexico. It is really difficult to combat traveler's ignorance, but we would urge any cruiser to carefully research these issues before they jump to all kinds of ridiculous conclusions.

Hank

where did you see this? usa today is reporting its on the downturn and zero talk of it spreading to DR. the AP also reporting that control of the issue is getting higher by the day.

I believe that teh CDC or State Department recommend getting a malaria shot for Americans travelling to Haiti. I believe the advisory specifically includes Labadee. That being said, I asked my TA before heading to Labadee and she said nothing is required or even recommended. It is true that pointing to other, unrelated risks does not decrease the risk or seriousness of cholera, but I agree with publicpersona that you have to make decisions for yourself. Since cholera doesn't get transmitted from person to person, the chances of contracting it are probably not much greater if you are on a ship that calls in Labadee than on a ship that doesn't but has some crew or even guests who have been there recently.

I am tempted to ask this thread to be locked... this is just getting out of hand.

The "Credible" references such as CDC are there. If you still feel the risks outweigh your enjoyment then don't get off the ship or cancel your cruise all together!!

Some of the fear mongering on this thread is starting to get over the top.

We are supposed to sail on Explorer November 19 and I think RCCL should give us the option to cancel or re-schedule. Still considering losing 50% of my cruise fare.

I don't think they have any intention of changing the itinerary because they would lose too much revenue!

Not so sure if my health and safety is their #1 priority--$$$$$ may be!

Time will tell...I'm sure we will hear if a cruise passenger becomes infected between now and Nov. 19th...

To quote one of those frequent political TV show guests,

"You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts."

Theron

Thank you!!! "Lookgood" has been posting nothing but rampant speculation and gross ignorance of how cholera is spread. They've earned a spot on my IGNORE list for gross ignorance and refusal to learn FACTS.

I'll bet that some of the posters that are posting how worried they are to

go to Labadee, are not even signed up for a cruise. They are just trying to cause trouble for RCL. My dw and I will be on Explorer on 11/7 and we will very much enjoy our day in Labadee. Hope to see many fun & life loving fellow cruisers there also. You worry warts can stay home and dwell on the problems of the world.

Santo Domingo is an island:eek: And the're connected to it :eek:

Yes , quite amusing:D

I assume you have your dates wrong as the Liberty is on the Western Caribbean route Nov 7-14th but does visit Labadee on Nov 19th. I'd better be right cos I'm on the Nov 7th cruise! :)

LOL, yes negc is on my roll call for the Nov 14th sailing of Liberty.

I'll bet that some of the posters that are posting how worried they are to

go to Labadee, are not even signed up for a cruise. They are just trying to cause trouble for RCL. My dw and I will be on Explorer on 11/7 and we will very much enjoy our day in Labadee. Hope to see many fun & life loving fellow cruisers there also. You worry warts can stay home and dwell on the problems of the world.

We're also on the Explorer 11/7 cruise and have no problem going ashore. We know Labadee is just as safe as any other port. There have been a couple of posters with 1 or 2 posts trying to make people fearful, but not based on any facts. Anyone who's afraid, here's my tip, dont' drink the river water.:p

We sail on Enchantment of the Seas in Feb. I'll be keeping an eye on the situation. It's well and good to say it's nothing much and healthy people shouldn't worry. My friend, who travels with me is 77 and has some health problems. If I have any doubt, I'll cancel as we get closer to our cruise.

Linda

I don't understand how anyone would get emotional over someone who cares about a friend and doesn't want to take a chance for a cruise. Why would anyone care about a decision that only involves my family? Take it easy and enjoy all your future cruises, travels, whatever.

I don't understand how anyone would get emotional over someone who cares about a friend and doesn't want to take a chance for a cruise. Why would anyone care about a decision that only involves my family? Take it easy and enjoy all your future cruises, travels, whatever.

I don't think the person who posted after you was talking about you.

I think it is a decision you have to make, and I and at least a few other people won't criticize you. You have someone in your party is one of the at risk groups (elderly) You know their health better than anyone on these boards, you need to make that decision for yourself. Do yourself a favor and research how the infection is spread, and see if that doesn't alleviate some of your concern.

I hope you have good trip when ever you decide to go

daze

Originally Posted by Hlitner

In fact, one wonders if the alarmists about Haiti are more based on racisit feelings than fact since we have not heard many comments about Dengue (also an issue in Mexico and much of South and Central America).

This is beyond the pale. It hurts everyone when you try and turn what are some real health concerns into racist problems. It not only is a hurtful thing to say to people you don't know but worse than that it trivializes real race problems.

I would have no problem with the health issues at the present time but I wouldn't call people racists who had them. That is shameful.

gail

LOL, yes negc is on my roll call for the Nov 14th sailing of Liberty.

Hi, We're also on the Explorer starting 11/7 and will hopefully arrivee in Labadee on 11/10! It's a 12 night cruise! I'm sure by the time we get there, everything will have calmed down a bit...They are not finding new cases of Cholera according to tonight's news on TV...

I wish all the people well and speedy recoveries.....

Safe sails everyone!

I am tempted to ask this thread to be locked... this is just getting out of hand.

The "Credible" references such as CDC are there. If you still feel the risks outweigh your enjoyment then don't get off the ship or cancel your cruise all together!!

Some of the fear mongering on this thread is starting to get over the top.

"Ask this thread to be locked". :confused::confused::confused:

For all of the worry warts......Stay home, lock the doors....close the blinds and just be unhappy in your own little world. We will be in Labordee next Monday and there is no worries with us.....The only time I hear about this is on this thread. We will have a great time thinking of all of the people that are considering cancelling and / or not booking.

Mike

Archived