Cholera on Haiti

jo anne

We should be hearing from Royal Caribbean today.... lets wait and see what happens....I can tell you that whatever the Haitian Government is saying about the epidemic of cholera it is much worse then they are telling everyone because they do not want to lose the cruise ship business so they say " its getting better but you know that isn't true"....

RCL has not even hinted about going by this stop. Why should they?

Everything consumed on Labadee is from the ship.

I didn't read all 7 pages of posts, but had a question. I just saw a discussion on one of the morning shows. They said they are concerned it could be spread by people leaving the outlying areas and heading to Port Au Prince. I know all the food and drinks are from the ship. Is there any concern about the vendors? We were at Labadee 2 years ago. A few months after our return, my nephew tried to give blood at his college and when he listed Labadee, Haiti, he was turned down for a donation. This was prior to the oubreak of cholera. That got me thinking about the vendors allowed to be in the private area selling to the passengers, and assisting passengers in wheelchairs, driving the trams, etc. How would RCI be able to know if any of them have been exposed?

I didn't read all 7 pages of posts, but had a question. I just saw a discussion on one of the morning shows. They said they are concerned it could be spread by people leaving the outlying areas and heading to Port Au Prince. I know all the food and drinks are from the ship. Is there any concern about the vendors? We were at Labadee 2 years ago. A few months after our return, my nephew tried to give blood at his college and when he listed Labadee, Haiti, he was turned down for a donation. This was prior to the oubreak of cholera. That got me thinking about the vendors allowed to be in the private area selling to the passengers, and assisting passengers in wheelchairs, driving the trams, etc. How would RCI be able to know if any of them have been exposed?

That is because of the mosquitos and the presence of malaria in Haiti.

My blood bank will not accept me if I've been to Costa Maya. Maybe we should quit stopping at that made up port?

What is the source of the water in the restroom sinks in Labadee? There are signs not to drink it so I assume is stream or ground water.

Personally I'm more concerned about what's in the hot tubs and the pools (ala diapers).

We will be visiting Labadee during our November 12th cruise on Liberty of the Seas. .

I assume you have your dates wrong as the Liberty is on the Western Caribbean route Nov 7-14th but does visit Labadee on Nov 19th. I'd better be right cos I'm on the Nov 7th cruise! :)

Are you serious?

From reading this thread the ignorance is rampant, so yes, I think they are serious. Doesn't matter how many facts are presented and are avaialble with a quick google or yahoo search, posters continue to run around trying to stir panic, beyond themselves to anyone going to Labadee. It is quite humorous to watch.

Makes it really hard to take advice given online seriously, though.:D

jc

Malaria and Cholera...why are we going there?
Because the likelihood of getting either while you're there is probably less than you getting in a serious car accident on the way to the airport - and yet you took the chance and went on the cruise.

From reading this thread the ignorance is rampant, so yes, I think they are serious. Doesn't matter how many facts are presented and are avaialble with a quick google or yahoo search, posters continue to run around trying to stir panic, beyond themselves to anyone going to Labadee. It is quite humorous to watch.

Makes it really hard to take advice given online seriously, though.:D

jc

you made your point, however.. "when you pay a thousand dollars a day you dont want to go to Labadee Haiti where there "might" be a chance of contracting cholera"...get my point....we have as much right to state our case as you do... if you dont like it dont read it...but you should not be trying to stop us from speaking our minds....its the American way.......

I just wondered about the new ship Allure of the Seas... they are scheduled to go to Labadee Haiti...not a good idea....even if you decide not to get off the ship...all it takes is one person to become infected and we will all be infected...not worth the chance...cholera kills almost instantly...unless there is a vaccine..I wont board that ship.....maybe they will go somewhere else....that would be a good idea.....Coco Cay is a better bet......
you made your point, however.. "when you pay a thousand dollars a day you dont want to go to Labadee Haiti where there "might" be a chance of contracting cholera"...get my point....we have as much right to state our case as you do... if you dont like it dont read it...but you should not be trying to stop us from speaking our minds....its the American way.......

To quote one of those frequent political TV show guests,

"You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts."

Theron

Yep, so don't book a cruise that goes to Haiti. If you already did book a cruise to Haiti, I hope you booked your cancel for any reason insurance with a reputable firm. Otherwise... too bad ... so sad.

I would never try to stop you from speaking your mind, it just amazes me what some minds say.:D

jc

This is, from my understanding, a pretty common practice for anyone who has travelled to certain areas a year prior to trying to donate blood. It is meant as a general safeguard and a good initial defense screening process.

I found out right after coming home from a cruise that I was pregnant with my twins. Fast forward and they were born 2 months premature. When it looked like my son might need a transfusion, and that we have matching blood types, they still wouldn't let me donate directly because we had taken the cruise less than 12 months prior. Mind you, if I had been exposed to anything my son would have also (in utero), but the hospital still stood by this policy.

I realize that was completely OT, but I just wanted to address the blood donation issue (I'm sure someone can probably provide more official info).

As far as Labadee goes, I agree with many others that we are probably quite safe visiting (I will be stopping there in January). All food/drinks/water comes from the ship. I was always under the impression that the food preparation on the island is also by RCCL personnel (though I may be under the wrong impression). Good hygiene also goes a long way, and as long as good practices are followed I would believe that cruise passengers would be safe.

I found out right after coming home from a cruise that I was pregnant with my twins. Fast forward and they were born 2 months premature. When it looked like my son might need a transfusion, and that we have matching blood types, they still wouldn't let me donate directly because we had taken the cruise less than 12 months prior. Mind you, if I had been exposed to anything my son would have also (in utero), but the hospital still stood by this policy.

Further OT... this angers me. I cannot tolerate "zero tolerance" policies. I would have fought tooth and nail for transfusing my own blood in this case, had it been required. No matter how "safe" the screening process is for the general blood supply, it is not perfect, and there is no credible argument that your blood would not be safer for your newborn. I have no tolerance for such blindness.

Theron

Problem with your response is that there is no "might be a chance...."

If there was, RCL wouldn't bring thousands of people there. They could just have an extra day at sea. Would probably my pretty good dollar wise if they did it, but they haven't.

Are you bragging or complaining about spending a thousand dollars a day? At least the second post you've said it.

Problem with your response is that there is no "might be a chance...."

If there was, RCL wouldn't bring thousands of people there. They could just have an extra day at sea. Would probably my pretty good dollar wise if they did it, but they haven't.

Are you bragging or complaining about spending a thousand dollars a day? At least the second post you've said it.

alright, I really didn't understand..."would probably my pretty good dollar" whatever... you do understand that Royal Caribbean will lose money.... they have put a lot into Labadee and Haiti....its not so easy to change direction.... and again I will state .."they are not going to tell you how bad things really are in Haiti because they dont want to lose ..".MONEY"............."at least the second post you've said it...what does that mean.......

Not meaning to interfere with a most incredible rant. There are a lot of common cruise ship destinations that will make you ineligible for blood donation. You don't even have to get off the ship to be ineligible. I visited Costa Maya in 2007 and had to be deferred for 12 months after a cruise there. It rained all day, and we didn't bother leaving the ship the entire time. We didn't even walk on the pier. I was not allowed to donate for a year even with that discussion. Some of Theron's blind rules in action.

You can see the map in the link following that shows any place that is Red or Yellow it is likely you will be deferred from donating blood.

http://cdc-malaria.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

I think all travel companies should not be allowed to sell plane tickets, cruise tickets, train tickets, boat tickets, or any money making tickets to anywhere that is marked yellow or red. How dare them sell tickets to places that could kill you!!!! ;) Haiti has been a mess for as long as I have been alive. Why today all of the alarm? O, yeah, that would be i.... (nevermind it is obvious to those who can see).:D

jc<---- trying to get into the full spirit of the rant....:D

I know I'm going to regret wading into this mess, but I just can't help myself it seems. I am going to be in Labadee in early December, and if we dock I will be getting off the ship. In today's litigious society, do you honestly believe RCCL would put their passengers and crew on shore if there were a serious risk of exposure? I believe their Board of Directors is probably intelligent enough to do the math and figure that multiple lawsuits would be FAR more expensive than missing a day in port, not to mention the negative press and the adverse effect that could have on future business. You are far more at risk of catching the Norovirus while onboard than anything on shore. Oh and somewhere several pages back, someone stated the cruise ship wouldn't admit that Norovirus was onboard. That is completely untrue. On our last cruise there multiple announcements every day reminding people that washing their hands was crucial, as there was a Norovirus outbreak onboard.

I am looking forward to our stop in Labadee, and this year it's more than just for my own enjoyment. If RCCL chooses to bypass this port for an illness on the opposite side of the island, that means the supplies they are bringing in on the cruise ships won't be delivered either. The Haitains need those supplies now more than ever.

http://cdc-malaria.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

I think all travel companies should not be allowed to sell plane tickets, cruise tickets, train tickets, boat tickets, or any money making tickets to anywhere that is marked yellow or red. How dare them sell tickets to places that could kill you!!!! ;) Haiti has been a mess for as long as I have been alive. Why today all of the alarm? O, yeah, that would be i.... (nevermind it is obvious to those who can see).:D

jc<---- trying to get into the full spirit of the rant....:D

Thanks for the link, seems I'm more likely to get malaria.

Listen to the "news media"....sure they're very reliable.:rolleyes: The news media and EOC people in Florida are very disappointed we didn't have any hurricanes this year. We need a crisis to report about, if not, let's blow one out of proportion.

I know I'm going to regret wading into this mess, but I just can't help myself it seems.

You are far more at risk of catching the Norovirus while onboard than anything on shore. Oh and somewhere several pages back, someone stated the cruise ship wouldn't admit that Norovirus was onboard. That is completely untrue. On our last cruise there multiple announcements every day reminding people that washing their hands was crucial, as there was a Norovirus outbreak onboard.

We must have the same psychotic moments! :p I do have to agree with you about what you said about the Norovirus though.

Don't forget the malaria issue which has been, and will continue to be, an issue long after the cholera matter dies down. As I stated earlier, I suggest that you give RCI a call and cancel your reservation becuase when you pay a thousand dollars a day you don't want to go to Labadee Haiti where there "might" be a chance of contracting malaria..... get MY point?

You might want to also take the Caribbean off of your list of places to cruise to. They have entire courses that physicians can take just on diagnosing and treating tropical diseases.

Further OT... this angers me. I cannot tolerate "zero tolerance" policies. I would have fought tooth and nail for transfusing my own blood in this case, had it been required. No matter how "safe" the screening process is for the general blood supply, it is not perfect, and there is no credible argument that your blood would not be safer for your newborn. I have no tolerance for such blindness.

Theron

I wasn't too pleased at the time either, believe me! We ended being very lucky in that his condition resolved on its own and he never needed the transfusion (whew!).

Thank you for the critique of my intelligence, it gave me my first real laugh of the day. :) You are mistaken about not being able to sue - people can and do sue for things that they "chose" to do all the time.

I'm curious - I see you only have 15 posts and all on this subject - are you new to Cruise Critic posting, or have you chosen to create a new profile just to participate in this discussion?

I imagine old profiles are no longer recognized...:D

jc<---- didn't really say that, something took over my laptop at the wrong moment, honest!

To quote one of those frequent political TV show guests,

"You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts."

Theron

Yep, so don't book a cruise that goes to Haiti. If you already did book a cruise to Haiti, I hope you booked your cancel for any reason insurance with a reputable firm. Otherwise... too bad ... so sad.

I would never try to stop you from speaking your mind, it just amazes me what some minds say.:D

jc

You guys are the best......:)

Archived