Cholera on Haiti

jo anne

Can you people really be this ignorant. dont read two lines of some article and start making crazy claims like rcl needs to pull out because of issues at basically the other side of an entire island. If your that worried dont get off the ship. or dont drink the local water. simple no problem. rccl brought and still brings aid through labadee. and after this crisis they will do more i'm sure. they wouldnt put their customers at risk. that would be beyond the biggest lawsuit in the world. take a ship full of people to a place known to have a serious virus and give the passangers no worning. lol right :cool:

I just love Cruise Critic - the way people shout hyperbole on both sides of a question. Classic here is calling others ignorant, and then proceeding to make incorrect statements.

Neither Labadee nor Haiti are islands. The cholera that we are talking about is not a virus. It cannot be avoided by simply not drinking the water. The outbreak area isn't *that* far from Labadee .. it is in the central plateau north of Port-Au-Prince.

Exposure to cholera during a day's visit to Labadee is neither impossible nor likely. Food, water, and food-handling staff (with the exception of some bar runners) are from the ship. I have it on good authority that the water in the ocean, though, is not from the ship. :-)

I will be on a cruise that stops at Labadee soon. I will have informed myself of the situation before I go, and listen to what the RC staff have to say about it, if anything (though I wouldn't blindly trust just that). I will gauge my own comfort level with going ashore that morning and will stay on the ship if I think the concern will interfere with my enjoying the day. If I stay on board, I'm not crazy or paranoid. If I get off the ship, I'm not crazy either. I will be following my own risk assessment and acting accordingly.

People get cholera in the USA every year. It is rare but it happens. Google brings up many cases.

I live in the uk- about 60 million people. There are about 50 cases of cholera a year- mostly people arriving in uk with it - but a very very small number are infected here. Some people are excreters - they have it but with no symptoms- they pass the bug in their urine etc. They only pass it on for a very short time.

The point i was trying to make is there is a small small small risk anywhere. I went for dinner in a local restaurant in the uk. I got cholera. The odds- probably 20 out of 60 million in a year (but what are the odds of winning that big lottery jackpot).

It is an awful disease- the pain is unimaginable. If you are asked to donate to help while in Haiti or elsewhere- please give what you can.

I just love Cruise Critic - the way people shout hyperbole on both sides of a question. Classic here is calling others ignorant, and then proceeding to make incorrect statements.

Neither Labadee nor Haiti are islands. The cholera that we are talking about is not a virus. It cannot be avoided by simply not drinking the water. The outbreak area isn't *that* far from Labadee .. it is in the central plateau north of Port-Au-Prince.

Exposure to cholera during a day's visit to Labadee is neither impossible nor likely. Food, water, and food-handling staff (with the exception of some bar runners) are from the ship. I have it on good authority that the water in the ocean, though, is not from the ship. :-)

I will be on a cruise that stops at Labadee soon. I will have informed myself of the situation before I go, and listen to what the RC staff have to say about it, if anything (though I wouldn't blindly trust just that). I will gauge my own comfort level with going ashore that morning and will stay on the ship if I think the concern will interfere with my enjoying the day. If I stay on board, I'm not crazy or paranoid. If I get off the ship, I'm not crazy either. I will be following my own risk assessment and acting accordingly.

Ok...so I am about to ask a dumb question:o...If it is in the water, would snorkeling/scuba ppl possibly get it if they swallow a bunch of seawater? I'm going in 3 wks, and I am not too worried about it, more curious than anything.:) I am going to have a good time no matter what...it sure beats work any day. :D ;) I will def. keep the people of Haiti in my prayers though.

first, both labadee and port au prince are located on the ISLAND of hispaniola. last time i checked that was an island.

secondly the infected area's range anywhere from 125-160miles away from where the ships dock. really? not that far? so you travel 160 miles to work everyday? lol come on. its plenty far.

secondly the infected area's range anywhere from 125-160miles away from where the ships dock. really? not that far? so you travel 160 miles to work everyday? lol come on. its plenty far.

Not only that... the transportation infrastructure in Haiti is extremely primitive.

Take a look at my Cruise Map of Labadee. Zoom "out" about 6 clicks, and switch the map to "Terrain" mode. There are at least 3 mountain ranges between Port-au-Prince and Labadee, and I would imagine it is easier for someone to travel half-way across the United States than it is for someone to travel that 160 miles between Port-au-Prince and Labadee.

This outbreak is a direct result of the people struggling to live in the aftermath of the earthquake damage. I don't remember reading any reports of similar conditions anywhere near Labadee.

There were problems in New Orleans after Katrina. Would that have prevented you from visiting other areas of the United States? Same reasoning applies. The problems are from known causes, and those causes are not present in Labadee or the nearby area.

This is absolutely a non-issue.

Theron

No one is encouraging panic......but people should be kept informed when there is an outbreak of a terrible disease that is highly contagious and spreading quickly.

I'm glad while you are there that you will have the vision to know everything you touch and drink will be 100% disease free.

Oh brother. I have the vision to know that pretty much everywhere I go and everything I touch is loaded with microbs just waiting to invade my body. To use a word that seems to be a favorite of Mr. Goldstein, it make for a very ROBUST immune system.:rolleyes:

I have it on good authority that the water in the ocean, though, is not from the ship.

True, but the only way to get cholera via the sea water is to be swimming right next to a sewage discharge spot in the ocean, certainly not possible in Labadee. Cholera is killed by the acid in one's stomach, which is the reason that a handful of bacteria can not cause the disease in humans. Also the reason the disease is not passed on by casual contact.

For perspective, the U.S. has been averaging 5 or 6 cases of cholera per year over the last few decades, with roughly one death per decade. By comparison, the number of influenza deaths in the U.S. per decade has been estimated as at least 250,000.

Bill

I too have been closely watching the situation in Haiti. There have been 4 cases reported in Limbe which is 16 miles from Labadee. These cases were reported by the Associated Press. The folks that work in Labadee live outside of the compound. You can watch them taking small boats back to their villages as the ship sails out. We probably won't know whether or not we will be stopping there until the day before! I hope the best for the Haitians and will be donating to Doctors Without Borders as that organization is on the ground now. I guess we will wait and see.

first, both labadee and port au prince are located on the ISLAND of hispaniola. last time i checked that was an island.

160 miles away? Really? You'd say that without even looking at a map? You do realize that Haiti is barely 160 miles across from its northern-most to southern-most. And the cholera outbreak is thought to be sourced along the Artibonite and also in the Central Plateau, which are both probably 40-50 miles away. Port-Au-Prince is not the epicenter of the disease, but the disease has spread there now.

You may want to reread my post. I'm not in any way saying that there is anything that should prevent anyone from going ashore at Labadee and having a great time. Chances are I will do so myself very soon. But I am also saying that exaggeration on this issue on either side is not helpful, and those who chose to alter what they do on Labadee day should not be disparaged any more than those who chose to ignore the possibility entirely.

I just wondered about the new ship Allure of the Seas... they are scheduled to go to Labadee Haiti...not a good idea....even if you decide not to get off the ship...all it takes is one person to become infected and we will all be infected...not worth the chance...cholera kills almost instantly...unless there is a vaccine..I wont board that ship.....maybe they will go somewhere else....that would be a good idea.....Coco Cay is a better bet......

People, cholera is not passed person to person. The latest cases I was reading about came from people who had been drinking from a river that was contaminated. It takes more than one exposure to get sick. If you think the ships haven't gone to other ports where there are illnesses that can be spread, you're wrong. This is just making the news because it's NEW to Haiti.

I wish people would READ about Cholera before posting that it is passed from person to person. You're at higher risk for TB in the US than you are from Cholera on Labadee.

I just wondered about the new ship Allure of the Seas... they are scheduled to go to Labadee Haiti...not a good idea....even if you decide not to get off the ship...all it takes is one person to become infected and we will all be infected...not worth the chance...cholera kills almost instantly...unless there is a vaccine..I wont board that ship.....maybe they will go somewhere else....that would be a good idea.....Coco Cay is a better bet......

Are you serious?

I watched a segment on CNN last night in which they had a doctor talking about the current situation in Haiti. He made a couple of points very clear. He indicated that roughly 85% of people who are infected with cholera exhibit no symptoms and recover just fine. 10% will show mild symptoms and again recover just fine, and only in roughly 5% of cases will an individual become very ill and be at risk of death and in most of those 5% the individuals are already in a very weakened state, ofton times due to the poor conditions they are living in. He also noted as others have mentioned on this thread that it is spread by drinking contaminated water or eating contaminated food, and in general is due to poor hygiene and unsanitary living conditions, and is rarely spread person to person. My wife and I are due to port in Labadee in March and while the situation is bad for the locals, I dont think I have any concerns with Labadee as RCCL provides all of the food and beverages. I think it is still pretty safe for visitors in tourist areas, and if anyone has a real concern, there is a vaccine that is reported to provide 60% protection for up to 6 months.

Mike

Cholera doesn't kill almost instantly, it is a bacterial infection that causes severe diarrhea. Death is from severe dehydration but only if it is left untreated.

RCCL is working with the relief effort by shipping medical supplies which they did following the earthquake.

I have had cholera. It is horrific. It can be spread person to person- for example in the urine or faeces of an infected person- who then doesn't wash their hands and prepares food or even drink for you. That is how I got it- in a restaurant.

I was healthy- I almost died- 6 weeks in hospital- major surgery.

If they are appealing for donations via aid agencies please give if you can afford it.

People get cholera in the USA every year. It is rare but it happens. Google brings up many cases.

I live in the uk- about 60 million people. There are about 50 cases of cholera a year- mostly people arriving in uk with it - but a very very small number are infected here. Some people are excreters - they have it but with no symptoms- they pass the bug in their urine etc. They only pass it on for a very short time.

The point i was trying to make is there is a small small small risk anywhere. I went for dinner in a local restaurant in the uk. I got cholera. The odds- probably 20 out of 60 million in a year (but what are the odds of winning that big lottery jackpot).

It is an awful disease- the pain is unimaginable. If you are asked to donate to help while in Haiti or elsewhere- please give what you can.

That doesn't happen so how about you stop saying it.

By the way I am one of the dispatchers that has been doing relief efforts in country since January. RCCL has done an outstanding job of helping the relief efforts by transporting supplies on their ships into Labadee. There was talk last winter about how "insensitive" it was to stop in Labadee after the earthquake. Having been involved with the relief efforts the support of RCCL and their passengers has been very helpful. I am sure they are monitoring the situation closely and would never jeopardize the safety of their passengers.

The CDC has issued the following recommendation for aid workers traveling in Haiti. (The warning about nonessential travel has been in place since the earthquake)

At this time, CDC and the U.S. Department of State maintain travel warnings for Haiti. These warnings recommend that U.S. citizens avoid all nonessential travel to Haiti. For more information, see Travel Health Warning: Major Earthquake in Port-au-Prince, Haiti on the CDC website.

Most travelers are not at high risk for getting cholera, but people who are traveling to Haiti should still take steps to prevent getting sick. Although no cholera vaccine is available in the United States, travelers can greatly reduce their risk for cholera by following CDC’s safe food and water advice:

Before departing for Haiti, talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for an antibiotic to treat travelers’ diarrhea.

Drink water that you have boiled for at least one minute or treated with chlorine or iodine (2 drops of household bleach or ½ an iodine tablet per liter of water). Other safe beverages include tea and coffee made with boiled or treated water, as well as drinks that have been bottled and sealed (such as bottled water, carbonated drinks, and sports drinks).

Do not put ice in drinks, unless the ice is made from boiled or treated water.

Eat only foods that have been thoroughly cooked and are still hot, or fruit that you have peeled yourself.

Do not eat undercooked or raw fish or shellfish, including ceviche.

Make sure all vegetables are cooked. Do not eat salads or other raw vegetables.

Do not eat foods or drink beverages from street vendors.

Do not bring perishable seafood back to the United States.

A simple rule of thumb for safe food and water is "Boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it."

By the way I am one of the dispatchers that has been doing relief efforts in country since January. RCCL has done an outstanding job of helping the relief efforts by transporting supplies on their ships into Labadee. There was talk last winter about how "insensitive" it was to stop in Labadee after the earthquake. Having been involved with the relief efforts the support of RCCL and their passengers has been very helpful. I am sure they are monitoring the situation closely and would never jeopardize the safety of their passengers.

The CDC has issued the following recommendation for aid workers traveling in Haiti. (The warning about nonessential travel has been in place since the earthquake)

At this time, CDC and the U.S. Department of State maintain travel warnings for Haiti. These warnings recommend that U.S. citizens avoid all nonessential travel to Haiti. For more information, see Travel Health Warning: Major Earthquake in Port-au-Prince, Haiti on the CDC website.

Most travelers are not at high risk for getting cholera, but people who are traveling to Haiti should still take steps to prevent getting sick. Although no cholera vaccine is available in the United States, travelers can greatly reduce their risk for cholera by following CDC’s safe food and water advice:

Before departing for Haiti, talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for an antibiotic to treat travelers’ diarrhea.

Drink water that you have boiled for at least one minute or treated with chlorine or iodine (2 drops of household bleach or ½ an iodine tablet per liter of water). Other safe beverages include tea and coffee made with boiled or treated water, as well as drinks that have been bottled and sealed (such as bottled water, carbonated drinks, and sports drinks).

Do not put ice in drinks, unless the ice is made from boiled or treated water.

Eat only foods that have been thoroughly cooked and are still hot, or fruit that you have peeled yourself.

Do not eat undercooked or raw fish or shellfish, including ceviche.

Make sure all vegetables are cooked. Do not eat salads or other raw vegetables.

Do not eat foods or drink beverages from street vendors.

Do not bring perishable seafood back to the United States.

A simple rule of thumb for safe food and water is "Boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it."

Do your rules about water, ice, fish, vegetables etc. apply to food on the ship? I would think that would be safe. And the food for Barbeque lunch on Labadee is from the ship.

Another reference from the CDC (in the Public Health field CDC is awesome!!!):

"The risk for cholera is very low for people visiting areas with epidemic cholera. When simple precautions are observed, contracting the disease is unlikely.

All people (visitors or residents) in areas where cholera is occurring or has occurred should observe the following recommendations:

Drink only bottled, boiled, or chemically treated water and bottled or canned carbonated beverages. When using bottled drinks, make sure that the seal has not been broken.

To disinfect your own water: boil for 1 minute or filter the water and add 2 drops of household bleach or ½ an iodine tablet per liter of water.

Avoid tap water, fountain drinks, and ice cubes.

Wash your hands often with soap and clean water.

If no water and soap are available, use an alcohol-based hand cleaner (with at least 60% alcohol).

Clean your hands especially before you eat or prepare food and after using the bathroom.

Use bottled, boiled, or chemically treated water to wash dishes, brush your teeth, wash and prepare food, or make ice.

Eat foods that are packaged or that are freshly cooked and served hot.

Do not eat raw and undercooked meats and seafood or unpeeled fruits and vegetables.

Dispose of feces in a sanitary manner to prevent contamination of water and food sources"

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/cholera/prevention.html

Exactly... food and drink come from the ship (or is stockpiled by RCCL). As I tell everyone... wash your hands!!! I give travel briefings for the military and most people who get sick don't wash their hands and don't pay attention to things like the seal on bottled water or street vendors.

I sail on the Explorer on 10/28. If our first port is still Labadee, I will not be leaving the ship. I just hope that no one becomes ill while on the island. I've seen too many people use the rest rooms on the ship and never stop to wash their hands.

I have too!!:eek: Pretty dang disgusting..:mad:We teach our kids so why don't the adults do it...:mad:

Exactly... food and drink come from the ship (or is stockpiled by RCCL). As I tell everyone... wash your hands!!! I give travel briefings for the military and most people who get sick don't wash their hands and don't pay attention to things like the seal on bottled water or street vendors.
We won't be dealing with street vendors for bottled water in Labadee just RCI bar tenders.

Archived