Cholera on Haiti

jo anne

Reading these boards can really confuse you. I am concerned because no one wants to get sick while on vacation. Now if we go to labadee and we eat only the food RCCL brings over and only drink what is from the ship, we should all be OK. BUT - now that I drank and ate, I need to use the restroom. How do I know that one of the Haitians who are on the island isn't sick. Maybe they just use the restroom and got sick. Then didn't just wash their hands. Isn't that one way to spread it? I might be stretching it here, I don't know. I am asking?? We will be there in about a week, I am a little nervous. We may not get off the ship.

Irene

Not only that... the transportation infrastructure in Haiti is extremely primitive.

Take a look at my Cruise Map of Labadee. Zoom "out" about 6 clicks, and switch the map to "Terrain" mode. There are at least 3 mountain ranges between Port-au-Prince and Labadee, and I would imagine it is easier for someone to travel half-way across the United States than it is for someone to travel that 160 miles between Port-au-Prince and Labadee.

This outbreak is a direct result of the people struggling to live in the aftermath of the earthquake damage. I don't remember reading any reports of similar conditions anywhere near Labadee.

There were problems in New Orleans after Katrina. Would that have prevented you from visiting other areas of the United States? Same reasoning applies. The problems are from known causes, and those causes are not present in Labadee or the nearby area.

This is absolutely a non-issue.

Theron

well said

I just wondered about the new ship Allure of the Seas... they are scheduled to go to Labadee Haiti...not a good idea....even if you decide not to get off the ship...all it takes is one person to become infected and we will all be infected...not worth the chance...cholera kills almost instantly...unless there is a vaccine..I wont board that ship.....maybe they will go somewhere else....that would be a good idea.....Coco Cay is a better bet......

Are you serious.....almost a thousand dollars a day to be on the Allure of the Seas....yea I'm serious...

Then I suggest you give RCI a call this afternoon and cancel your reservation.

We have cruised with RCI since 1980 and there is one thing that I'm very certain of, they have the health and safety of their passengers as a #1 priority. We have taken three cruises where RCI has changed the itinerary because of what they considered Health or safety issues. If there is any chance of a problem with the cholera outbreak, I have every confidence in RCI taking the appropriate correct action. I would have no hesitation about going to Labadee. Labadee and Haiti are two different places. We've visited Port au Prince several times and Cap Haiten one time. Labadee bears absolutely no resemblance to either. It is a clean, well organized, safe environment.

One thing that is certain, is that whatever RCI decides to do, visit or stay away, they will be criticized on these boards. Remember the swine flu outbreak in Mexico?

Having over 30 cruises with RCI, I trust their judgement much more than the self appointed experts posting on this thread.

If you are concerned about the washrooms at Labadee then follow what I recommend to people:

Wash your hands as normal (if you want a reference check CDC);

When drying your hands (if with paper) take another sheet to open the door (that way you don't directly touch the handle;

if still concerned bring some alcohol based hand sanitizer and apply generously to your hands.

From my experience, the sanitary facilities in Labadee are very clean... I for one am not too concerned (of course I have done public health in Kandahar...)

I just wondered about the new ship Allure of the Seas... they are scheduled to go to Labadee Haiti...not a good idea....even if you decide not to get off the ship...all it takes is one person to become infected and we will all be infected...not worth the chance...cholera kills almost instantly...unless there is a vaccine..I wont board that ship.....maybe they will go somewhere else....that would be a good idea.....Coco Cay is a better bet......

the State Department has issued a warning...Id say it is serious......

That is what I want to know if you are serious about.

Ocean boy. I did reply outlining how it was explained to me but it was removed ( too graphic I guess- sorry if it offended anyone- it is a very horrific illness).My urine, stools and indeed vomit were processed extremely carefully to minimise the risk of others catching it.

What was explained to me was that it passes in your stools (which are often described as like rice water). With poor hygiene and limited cleaning facilities I am sure that you can imagine how it may then mix with urine. If you know better and that it dies on contact with urine then I bow to your superior knowledge.

It is very very very rare to catch it from another person in this way. Despite the fact that I have had cholera the outbreak in Haiti wouldn't stop me going or taking my children. Just take sensible hygiene steps and if you become ill (which you wont) seek attention immediately.

To say again- if you can donate in anyway to help then please do. It is a horrific illness and a horrible way to die- but chances of recovery when treated are good.

Ocean boy. I did reply outlining how it was explained to me but it was removed ( too graphic I guess- sorry if it offended anyone- it is a very horrific illness).My urine, stools and indeed vomit were processed extremely carefully to minimise the risk of others catching it.

What was explained to me was that it passes in your stools (which are often described as like rice water). With poor hygiene and limited cleaning facilities I am sure that you can imagine how it may then mix with urine. If you know better and that it dies on contact with urine then I bow to your superior knowledge.

It is very very very rare to catch it from another person in this way. Despite the fact that I have had cholera the outbreak in Haiti wouldn't stop me going or taking my children. Just take sensible hygiene steps and if you become ill (which you wont) seek attention immediately.

To say again- if you can donate in anyway to help then please do. It is a horrific illness and a horrible way to die- but chances of recovery when treated are good.

Yes, I can forsee that circumstance. My point is that the bacteria is not shed in urine which was what you seemed to be saying. However, perhaps that was not the intent of what you were saying.

Yes, I can forsee that circumstance. My point is that the bacteria is not shed in urine which was what you seemed to be saying. However, perhaps that was not the intent of what you were saying.

Hi. No I was trying to be a bit polite and urge hygiene when going to the loo! apologies if I was misleading.

Just to stress again to catch it from a person is exceptionally rare. In most cases (and from what I have seen on the news) the source in Haiti is the water. I am sure that rc will minimise all risks. There really is no need to panic about this! It would not spread on a ship and you don't die quickly (as has been suggested). The treatment is very simple (and quite cheap- a few dollars will save a life) those who are dying is because they haven't had access to treatment in time.

In the uk we are currently having appeals about cholera in both Haiti and

Pakistan. If you can afford to give to an aid agency working in Haiti then please please do. They guy on the uk news said that children who were dying this morning and who were being treated were sitting up by lunchtime ( ok I am sure they still have a long way to go yet). That should encourage us all to dig deep.

Let me explain....if one person or maybe two people have a problem with their stomach .......if at any time on a cruise coming from Haiti any one even thinks that they are ill ......it will cause such a panic like you have ever seen .....also they will be quarantined and no one will be able to leave the ship until it is cleared which can take a long time....no I dont want to be on a ship coming from Haiti if some one becomes ill... right now......

Is it really in anyones best interest Royal Carribeans or the passengers to take a risk like this? Why not just reroute us to another island.

They aren't rerouting because there is no risk. Cholera is caused by contaminated food or water. Unless you think the ships food or water is contaminated, relax

Kathy, We are on the same cruise as you. Don't be surprised if they announce the cancellation the night before. I have had that happen enough times. If they can guarantee that the Haitians who come in from the villages to work in Labadee are disease free than they probably won't cancel it. RCCL is very familiar with Haiti, I am sure they will do the right thing.

because once again ignorant comments are being made. the ocean water is fine. the bac cant survive and thrive in ocean water. if that was the case the ocean water would have been infected a long time ago. and i mean millions of years ago. while some bac can survive for some period and infect a small general area it can not infect say all the water around the entire island

Then why isnt Royal Caribbean canceling this port? Im on the EOS this Thursday. Why would they stop there if the water isnt safe to swim in?

Guess I will have to stay on the ship that day...

Then why isnt Royal Caribbean canceling this port? Im on the EOS this Thursday. Why would they stop there if the water isnt safe to swim in?

Probably because RCI doesn't believe that it's an issue. I'm quite sure that if there was any chance of the water being polluted, they would re-route. There's just a difference of opinion between RCI's experts and Cruise Critic's experts.

I have been reading this thread though my upcoming cruise does not go to Haiti. As I understand it, RCCL has a big stake in Haiti and is developing another area there as a possible port. To cancel Labadee could be more of a political issue. Neverthless, the pres. of RCCL is very intelligent and saavy and I think they are acutely aware of the possible repercussions if someone contracts cholera. It can be spread I believe if someone infected prepares or handles food. It appears from what I have read local people do work at Labadee. I would still be very concerned if my cruise was docking there.

Hopefully, the epidemic will end soon. I personally think RCCL did the right thing to continue to go there after the quake, but I am not so sure about continuing to stop there right now.

Ive been trying to read some of the new reports and it saying the infected water was from a small local river and have it contained... Just hope the Haitians get the help they need to recover...

Cant believe everything you read on here... There are so many conflicting opinions... lol

the bac cant survive and thrive in ocean water.

Vibrio cholerae actually thrives much better in salty water than fresh. On the other hand, the sheer volume of water and the ocean currents make going out on a floating mat at Labadee very unlikely to be a problem.

Why do you folks have to take such opposite extremes? The risk of acquiring cholera at Labadee is non-zero and is also not at all likely.

Vibrio cholerae actually thrives much better in salty water than fresh. On the other hand, the sheer volume of water and the ocean currents make going out on a floating mat at Labadee very unlikely to be a problem.

Why do you folks have to take such opposite extremes? The risk of acquiring cholera at Labadee is non-zero and is also not at all likely.

The risk of acquiring any number of serious diseases at Labadee is non-zero and equally likely as cholera. They should never go there if they don't go there for this reason.

Archived