Rafting on the Martha Brae

Coolmama_1

I cannot comment on the Martha Brea (hopefully that is in Ocho Rios?) but we were just in Ocho Rios and tubed down the White River. Our guide down the river was George and he was great! It was a little shorted than we expected but Beautiful! We went w/ the Queen McBeam tour and also did the falls and the beach. I would not book for the beach again but would do the tubing and falls again in a hearbeat.

Thanks for the link to the review. I can understand why it would be a love it or hate it type of activity. We ran into the same thing with the scenic railway in St Kitts. We had a great time and it was one of our favorite excursions. Others absolutely hated it!

The ride from Ocho Rios is described as 90 minutes, so it is a long bus ride there. I know what you mean about taking your life in your hands. The same could be said for cabbies in Grenada!

Thanks for the info.

Judy

Wife and I took the rafting tour down the river you mentioned on a cruise that docked at "Mo Bay" and highly enjoyed it. Bus ride is a distance, but you get to see that side of Jamaica and it ain't beautiful, but you get to see what Jamaica is like.

On the raft the guide is up front poling and you are sitting in the rear of the raft on a bamboo bench. All hand made by guide as each guide builds and owns his own raft.

Well after we started down river it started to rain hard. Solution, guide poled over to side, cut banana leave for wife and one for me and we had an instant umbrella. Still got soaked but fun anyway.

Highly recommend the rafting tour. River was narrow at time during January. Ride lasted maybe 45 to 60 minutes as I remember.

However, as in anywhere in Jamacia expect the bus stops at places that definetly will try to sell you something.

Wife and I took the rafting tour down the river you mentioned on a cruise that docked at "Mo Bay" and highly enjoyed it. Bus ride is a distance, but you get to see that side of Jamaica and it ain't beautiful, but you get to see what Jamaica is like.

However, as in anywhere in Jamacia expect the bus stops at places that definetly will try to sell you something.

Comeaux,

Thank you for your comments.

I would expect that you would see much of how the locals live. It was that way in St Kitts too. It gives you a deeper appreciation for what you have.

It really doesn't bother me that the locals try to get you to buy something. Tourism is thier livelihood and once the ship has sailed, they have to wait for the next one to dock. When we were in Grenada last summer, we were the only ship that day. They don't always have a ship dock every day and as the day went on, many seemed frantic to sell thier wares. We bought more spices than we needed, but felt in some small way that we helped stimulate the local economy.

Judy

Archived