An Exhaustive Review of Our Exhausting Hawaiian Adventure

kwbound

Debbie, I found the site/tour group that does the Hollywood Tours on Kauai. Hope this helps, there is a 10 minute video about the excursion:

http://www.hawaiimovietour.com/myweb1a/CruisePassengers.html

This is the cruise passenger section.

http://www.hawaiimovietour.com/

This is the main link.

UPDATE: http://www.hawaiimovietour.com/myweb1a/tourintro.htm

I just found this on their website ... it states they have gone out of business ... so must not be the same company that Carnival is using. Wonder why they left the website up.

Edited by MilliesMom

http://kauaivacationtours.com/kauai-activities/polynesian-adventure-tours-movie-tou/

In the questions at the bottom, they state that they have replaced the one that closed down.

"Aloha. Yes, The Movie Tour is operating all year long. The one on our site replaces the old Movie Tour which has closed down. The new is almost identical to the past one.

Let me know if you have further questions on this or any other Kauai activity. Our toll free 1-866-897-1637 will put you in touch with an on island agent."

Edited by MilliesMom

http://kauaivacationtours.com/kauai-activities/polynesian-adventure-tours-movie-tou/

In the questions at the bottom, they state that they have replaced the one that closed down.

"Aloha. Yes, The Movie Tour is operating all year long. The one on our site replaces the old Movie Tour which has closed down. The new is almost identical to the past one.

Let me know if you have further questions on this or any other Kauai activity. Our toll free 1-866-897-1637 will put you in touch with an on island agent."

thanks for finding this information out. I saw that the older place went out of business, but the website was still up too. I didn't see any forward info on this new place.

I looked at the new site and it says it is in operation on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Our ship will be in Maui on Thursday and offers an excursion like this. I wonder if they do it just for Carnival on Thursday?

I did write to Carnival about a couple of their excursions and the reply I got so far was they forwarded on my questions to the right department. I'm waiting now for another reply. I'll post when I get it.

thanks for finding this information out. I saw that the older place went out of business, but the website was still up too. I didn't see any forward info on this new place.

I looked at the new site and it says it is in operation on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Our ship will be in Maui on Thursday and offers an excursion like this. I wonder if they do it just for Carnival on Thursday?

I did write to Carnival about a couple of their excursions and the reply I got so far was they forwarded on my questions to the right department. I'm waiting now for another reply. I'll post when I get it.

Debbie, why not call the tour company and ask if they are doing the excursion for Carnival:

Call Us Toll Free: 1-866-897-1637 (from their website).

If they are, then they should be able to answer your tour questions with much more detail. If you call, let us know what you find out.

OR >>>>>

they are on facebook, post a question there: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kauai-Vacation-Tours/130308040373517

Edited by MilliesMom

Debbie, why not call the tour company and ask if they are doing the excursion for Carnival:

Call Us Toll Free: 1-866-897-1637 (from their website).

If they are, then they should be able to answer your tour questions with much more detail. If you call, let us know what you find out.

OR >>>>>

they are on facebook, post a question there: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kauai-Vacation-Tours/130308040373517

I'm such a dork! :p This excursion is on Kauai and we will be there on Saturday, not the Thursday I was thinking! They have excursions on Saturday. Boy did I feel stupid when I called and when I read your email suggesting to call them. I have a lot of things going on here at home and just didn't think of it. Maybe my head will clear next week when things settle down a little bit.

I was a HUGE fan of LOST and I even goofed that up because it wasn't filmed on Kauai, it was filmed on Oahu! They do offer a tour from KOS for LOST and other movies. Will look into that one too.

Thanks for your help and also for staying with me even with my crazy questions!

BTW: anyone notice all the cabins available now on Carnival since they started the new non-smoking policy?

I'm such a dork! :p This excursion is on Kauai and we will be there on Saturday, not the Thursday I was thinking! They have excursions on Saturday. Boy did I feel stupid when I called and when I read your email suggesting to call them. I have a lot of things going on here at home and just didn't think of it. Maybe my head will clear next week when things settle down a little bit.

I was a HUGE fan of LOST and I even goofed that up because it wasn't filmed on Kauai, it was filmed on Oahu! They do offer a tour from KOS for LOST and other movies. Will look into that one too.

Thanks for your help and also for staying with me even with my crazy questions!

BTW: anyone notice all the cabins available now on Carnival since they started the new non-smoking policy?

So they are the company that is doing the tour for Carnival? Don't worry, we've all mixed info up at times.

Princess' new smoking policy is even more strict than Carnival's. Princess won't allow smoking on the balconies or in the cabins. Carnival allows it on the balconies. We don't smoke, so the policy won't impact us or our bookings.

So they are the company that is doing the tour for Carnival? Don't worry, we've all mixed info up at times.

Princess' new smoking policy is even more strict than Carnival's. Princess won't allow smoking on the balconies or in the cabins. Carnival allows it on the balconies. We don't smoke, so the policy won't impact us or our bookings.

We're non smokers also. I'm just hoping that we don't end up with smokers on both sides of our cabin. We have a cabin with balcony and I'd hate to be sandwiched in with them on both sides. I want to be able to enjoy what I'm paying for!:D

Hope you are still on here kwbound (Donna)

I can't seem to find any reference on where you parked when you went to your snorkelling tour with Kai Kanani on Maui.

The website and confirmation refers to Makena Beach "behind the Makena Beach & Golf Resort."

However, Google maps show that there is a beach that's actually called Maluaka Beach Park with 2 Makena Roads north & south of it (looking at the satellite map).

Your gps shows 5400 Makena Alanui, Makena, HI 96753 which is the Maui Prince hotel. ( The big white structure that looks like an arrow head with Enterprise rent a car labeled on it)

As parking is often stated difficult to find, what did you do for parking? We have to get there by 6am so it'll before sunrise and I don't want to be late. Did you take a shuttle or park at the hotel?

Just wanted to say I have really enjoyed your review and look forward to reading it all again when our trip gets closer. We are going April 21, 2012. What to do...what to do!! Thanks.

Debbie - I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Time will fly and your trip will be here before you know it :D...and then the time will REALLY fly and it will be over.:( But then you will have your memories.:D

Aloha,

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Donna, I was lucky to find your fabulous review, pictures, picture book and well absolutely wonderful information. I really do appreciate all the time and effort it took. Sooo I have a few questions for right now but reserve the right for more in the future. I am going on POA on August 27 for my 50th birthday. I am super excited. It will be my husband and I.

Why did you do the helicopter ride on the second day in Kauai? Just in case the weather was bad if you booked for the first day, you always had the next day to try again. Of course that is only if there where availablity for the next day. But besides my strange logic is there any other reason to go the second day. If weather is bad and have to cancel, you do get your money back right? Did you get a CD or DVD of the flight? Did they offer it?

Next question is for the excursion with Sea Quest. Since it is a tendered port, if there are any problems getting off ship is there some sort of refund? You would think I am neurotic but just want to know all the possible consequences taking excursions not offered by the ship.

So far because of you I have bought Frankos maps, Road to Hana book, plan on buying those shoes, will do both of those excursi0ons, drive to Hana, get the henna tatoo, buy the collapsable lunch tote, wear black on the helicopter, probably go on the photo tour in Kauai, tried to buy the cannon D10 but it is too expensive and now they are working on a new model so I bought an Luminix underwater camera (yes I already have 3 other cameras but not a waterproof one, yes it is all your fault.) I have also slowly started to convince my husband about the drive to Hana. I have slowly started to prepare him for the long long journey and what to expect. I do plan on going but at least now I am mentally prepared. I also have started preparing my husband for the sunrise to the crater. I know you did not do that and may I ask why? I suppose it was because you went snorkling instead. I love, but really respect snorkling since I had a run in with a barracuda 10 years ago in Mexico. The barracuda just watched as I hauled my fluffy butt to the shore.

Any and all suggestions encourages. Thank you so much.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Donna, I was lucky to find your fabulous review, pictures, picture book and well absolutely wonderful information. I really do appreciate all the time and effort it took. Sooo I have a few questions for right now but reserve the right for more in the future. I am going on POA on August 27 for my 50th birthday. I am super excited. It will be my husband and I.

Why did you do the helicopter ride on the second day in Kauai? Just in case the weather was bad if you booked for the first day, you always had the next day to try again. Of course that is only if there where availablity for the next day. But besides my strange logic is there any other reason to go the second day. If weather is bad and have to cancel, you do get your money back right? Did you get a CD or DVD of the flight? Did they offer it?

Next question is for the excursion with Sea Quest. Since it is a tendered port, if there are any problems getting off ship is there some sort of refund? You would think I am neurotic but just want to know all the possible consequences taking excursions not offered by the ship.

So far because of you I have bought Frankos maps, Road to Hana book, plan on buying those shoes, will do both of those excursi0ons, drive to Hana, get the henna tatoo, buy the collapsable lunch tote, wear black on the helicopter, probably go on the photo tour in Kauai, tried to buy the cannon D10 but it is too expensive and now they are working on a new model so I bought an Luminix underwater camera (yes I already have 3 other cameras but not a waterproof one, yes it is all your fault.) I have also slowly started to convince my husband about the drive to Hana. I have slowly started to prepare him for the long long journey and what to expect. I do plan on going but at least now I am mentally prepared. I also have started preparing my husband for the sunrise to the crater. I know you did not do that and may I ask why? I suppose it was because you went snorkling instead. I love, but really respect snorkling since I had a run in with a barracuda 10 years ago in Mexico. The barracuda just watched as I hauled my fluffy butt to the shore.

Any and all suggestions encourages. Thank you so much.

Hi Onthego!

I'm glad my review has been helpful and I will be glad to answer any questions that I can. We chose to do the helicopter on the second day for several reasons - We would be able to get an earlier flight on the second day than the first; it's close to the ship so we would be able to enjoy the nearby beach for longer before having to be back on board and because we wanted to make sure we had plenty of time on the North Shore. I wouldn't have wanted to try and do the North Shore on the second day and have to rush back to be onboard before sail time. I'm sure you would receive a refund if the flight was cancelled because of weather, but you should probably verify that with the helicopter company. I think I remember seeing that info on their website. They did offer a DVD of the flight but we didn't get it. I wish now we had.

As for SeaQuest, I would think that if the seas were too rough for the tenders to operate, then conditions would probably be too bad for SeaQuest to sail also and they would offer refunds. But once again I would check with them.

We didn't do the sunrise at the crater for several reasons. I will always choose snorkeling over other excursions. None of use wanted to get up that early. We were packing so much into each day that we didn't want to do something that was going to cause us to be exhausted and not able to enjoy the other activities. None of us recover from lack of sleep as easily as we use to! Also, we didn't want to pack cold-weather clothes. I know it is suppose to be amazing, but we just didn't want to go to Hawaii to be cold.

Hope that helps some. I'll look forward to reading about your trip.

Aloha,

Donna

KW - thank you so much for your review. I'm only up to page 2 but subscribed so that I can finish it later. You gave me the gift of laughter with my morning coffee. Thank you! After taking this cruise, would you recommend it for 2012? Or would you recommend a different line/ship and if so - which? I'm on a fact finding mission for Sept. 2012. Yes, that's my Sherlock Holmes hat - what about it?

• 5 weeks later...
Didyou book the Smith Famly Laua through Roberts? If so, did they pick and drop you off at the pier? Thanks for your reply

Debbie - So sorry this reply is so late. I haven't been on the boards in a while. Yes, we did book the Smith Family Luau through Roberts and they did pick us up and return us to the pier.

Donna

KW - thank you so much for your review. I'm only up to page 2 but subscribed so that I can finish it later. You gave me the gift of laughter with my morning coffee. Thank you! After taking this cruise, would you recommend it for 2012? Or would you recommend a different line/ship and if so - which? I'm on a fact finding mission for Sept. 2012. Yes, that's my Sherlock Holmes hat - what about it?

Hey Sherlock - I'm glad you are enjoying the review. I thought it had been lost in history by now.

If you want to get a taste of several of the islands, I think this is the best, most cost efficient cruise to do that. When I was doing my research, the other Hawaiian cruises I found originated from the mainland and most had about 8 or 9 sea days and only 4 island days. I like sea days, but not that many! And even if I didn't mind that many sea days, that's a lot of vacation time for everyone to get off.

We are planning on going back in 2 or 3 years and on that trip we are going to go for longer and stay a few days each on Oahu, the Big Island and Kauai. But especially if you've never been before, then I would definitely say the cruise is a great way to start.

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising on the POA in October, so your extensive review is so much appreciated. None of the four of us has ever been in Hawaii, so your tips are most welcome!

I'm concerned about the quality of the food based on all the negative posts, but as most people have stated, we're there for the scenery, not the food.

We have cruised on both Carnival and Celebrity and enjoyed both. I would think NCL would want to provide the very best experience for cruisers, even if htere is no competition on this route, simply becuase poor service and food would discourage people such as us from booking a future NCL cruise!

If you are not a professional writer, you have missed your calling! Thanks again

I'm concerned about the quality of the food based on all the negative posts, but as most people have stated, we're there for the scenery, not the food.

The food on POA is OK - nothing to write home about and probably on the same level as Carnival.

Unless you are the type that insist on returning to the ship for all meals, you could also consider eating on shore. We have terrific restaurants on all islands including hole-in-the-wall types.

Another thing to consider is that you will be on tour (organized or otherwise) to see the islands, the scenery etc. So as a practical matter, you would probably just eat breakfast on the ship and maximizing your time on-shore, probably grabbing dinner on-shore as well.

Dear Debbie,

I have gone to bed 2 hours later than I should for the last 3 nights reading your wonderful review and all the questions you are so kind to answer since your posting.

My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Century the 23rd of March 2012. We are flying in on the 20th from New York. We are staying at the Aston Wikiki Beach for 3 nights. Many of your pictures are right in that area. Hearing how much you enjoyed this area has made me very happy with our choice. Our cruise than stays in Honolulu overnight the 1st night we board, goes to the other islands with another overnight in Maui. it is 7 days in Hawaii and then 6 sea days to San Diego. I think I will be very happy to rest and relax on the sea days which I love since husband learned his vacation style studing Sherman's March to the Sea!

I feel like I have found a kindered spirit in you! I have already downloaded the packing app to my I-touch.

Thank you so much for all this wonderful information.

S&S Cruiser

We are cruising on the POA in October, so your extensive review is so much appreciated. None of the four of us has ever been in Hawaii, so your tips are most welcome!

We have cruised on both Carnival and Celebrity and enjoyed both. I would think NCL would want to provide the very best experience for cruisers, even if htere is no competition on this route, simply becuase poor service and food would discourage people such as us from booking a future NCL cruise!

If you are not a professional writer, you have missed your calling! Thanks again

Snake - Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you have found the review helpful. Although we were not pleased with the food in the dining room, we found the buffets to be better than other ships we've been on, especially the breakfast buffet. And it is nice that they put things out for passengers to make their own picnic lunches for the days they are off ship, which is every day really.

I'll look forward to readying your review when you return. I'm sure y'all will have a wonderful time.

Donna

Dear Debbie,

I have gone to bed 2 hours later than I should for the last 3 nights reading your wonderful review and all the questions you are so kind to answer since your posting.

My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Century the 23rd of March 2012. We are flying in on the 20th from New York. We are staying at the Aston Wikiki Beach for 3 nights. Many of your pictures are right in that area. Hearing how much you enjoyed this area has made me very happy with our choice. Our cruise than stays in Honolulu overnight the 1st night we board, goes to the other islands with another overnight in Maui. it is 7 days in Hawaii and then 6 sea days to San Diego. I think I will be very happy to rest and relax on the sea days which I love since husband learned his vacation style studing Sherman's March to the Sea!

I feel like I have found a kindered spirit in you! I have already downloaded the packing app to my I-touch.

Thank you so much for all this wonderful information.

S&S Cruiser

S&S - I'm glad you enjoyed the review and hope you found some helpful hints. Your trip sounds wonderful. There is so much to do on Oahu. Three nights in Waikiki sounds perfect to me. Please let us know how you enjoy the 6 sea days.

Aloha!

Donna