An Exhaustive Review of Our Exhausting Hawaiian Adventure

kwbound

Hi Donna: Question for ya. Where did you find the Jambu? Are they the all terrain shoes you mentioned? I tried to shop a few shops and did see Jambu. Did you order online? If so' date=' how did the size run? I normally wear 8.5 American. Also, where did you buy those brand clothes you mentioned? On line or in a shop? How did those sizes run. I'm just a bit overweight, fluffy like you. Not obese. but got a tummy. Sigh. Anyhelp you can give will be appreiciated. I love the skort idea. What was the "name" of the Jambu you bought? Vegan or what. thanks.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure I ordered my Jambus from Athleta. Here is link to their water shoes. Mine are the Water Divas, but I really like that Net Shoe. I'm thinking of ordering those. I normally wear a 7 but I had read reviews on the shoes that said they ran small so I ordered a 7-1/2, but they were a little too big. I just tightened the straps but a 7 would have been right. So if you normally wear an 8.5, that's what I would order. My Gap clothes I usually buy from the Gap outlet store. Gap sizes usually run true. Athleta and Title Nine sizes I find to run a little small. Athleta does have plus sizes in some things. Title Nine does have stores in some locations. Athleta is online only I believe. Another suggestion for my fluffy sisters is compression shorts from Academy. If you go in their stores they have them in different colors (black, white, navy and royal blue I think.) You can wear them under cute knit skirts or sun dresses and they will prevent the dreaded "chub rub".

Hope that helps.

Donna

I leave in 16 days and this has been so very helpful...THANK YOU for an easy to read, enjoyable, informative and sometimes funny review! First time I felt like I "knew" the writer by the end :).

Just one question if I may...being somewhat a little more "fluffy" than you....did you find it difficult getting in or out of the zodiac snorkel tour you did? I'll have to go back but I believe it was Kona. That looked/read awesome and since I think we'll only do one snorkel trip (hubby is not a big fan) - that one liked really nice.

Thank you again...your hard work is greatly appreciated!!

I'm so glad you've enjoyed the review. You will be fine on the zodiac. Getting out of it is no problem at all. You just swing your legs over the side, hold onto your mask/snorkel and drop into the water. I too was concerned about climbing back in the zodiac. In my mind the boat would tip over on me when I tried to climb in, or the capt would have to tell everyone to move to the other side of the boat to counter balance the boat as I climbed in. But my fears were unfounded (thank goodness!). Neither of those things happened. It was much easier to climb back in than I feared and the capt and his assistant are there to give a little help to everyone climbing back in. I would say that if you can lean a ladder against your house and climb up 3 or 4 rungs without difficulty, then you should have no problem getting back in the boat.

Your trip is coming up quickly. You are going to have a wonderful time.

Aloha!

Donna

I'm pretty sure I ordered my Jambus from Athleta. Here is link to their water shoes. Mine are the Water Divas, but I really like that Net Shoe. I'm thinking of ordering those. I normally wear a 7 but I had read reviews on the shoes that said they ran small so I ordered a 7-1/2, but they were a little too big. I just tightened the straps but a 7 would have been right. So if you normally wear an 8.5, that's what I would order. My Gap clothes I usually buy from the Gap outlet store. Gap sizes usually run true. Athleta and Title Nine sizes I find to run a little small. Athleta does have plus sizes in some things. Title Nine does have stores in some locations. Athleta is online only I believe. Another suggestion for my fluffy sisters is compression shorts from Academy. If you go in their stores they have them in different colors (black, white, navy and royal blue I think.) You can wear them under cute knit skirts or sun dresses and they will prevent the dreaded "chub rub".

Hope that helps.

Donna

Hi Donna: This info is great. Thanks so much. Never, ever heard of these brands. I will definately do research and make a decision. Never heard of chub rub, but I googled that and now I know. LOL. I'm really interested in the skorts. I'm fluffy, though I recently lost 40# with Weight Watchers. Sort of slipped off the wagon in 2009, but now am back on. Only 7.2# over my goal. But I tell ya, I be "fluffy." Sands of time, I guess. So, I just live in this bod and try to make the best of it.

Prepping for a trip is just as much fun as being on a trip. Thanks, thanks and thanks again for the info. Very helpful.

Hi Donna: This info is great. Thanks so much. Never' date=' ever heard of these brands. I will definately do research and make a decision. Never heard of chub rub, but I googled that and now I know. LOL. I'm really interested in the skorts. I'm fluffy, though I recently lost 40# with Weight Watchers. Sort of slipped off the wagon in 2009, but now am back on. Only 7.2# over my goal. But I tell ya, I be "fluffy." Sands of time, I guess. So, I just live in this bod and try to make the best of it.

Prepping for a trip is just as much fun as being on a trip. Thanks, thanks and thanks again for the info. Very helpful.[/quote']

Congrats on your weight loss! That is great. I lost 80 lb through WW and exercise a few years ago. Unfortunately I too fell off the wagon, especially last year while my mother was sick, and gained about 30 lb back. But I'm training for a triathlon now and trying to get it off again. Why can't it be as easy to take off as it is to put on???!!!!

Another clothing brand that I find comfortable and that travels well is Fresh Produce. They have stores in some location and you can also order online. They have a pretty good plus size selection also. They used to have an outlet store at the outlet mall in San Marcos TX and I would visit every time we were there. (Son goes to school in San Marcos.) But unfortunately they closed that store. I find their regular prices to be just a little on the high side, but they run frequent sales and they have clearance prices too.

Have fun planning...to me it extends the vacation. I love it. I wish I had a trip in the works now!

Aloha,

Donna

Edited by kwbound

Congrats on your weight loss! That is great. I lost 80 lb through WW and exercise a few years ago. Unfortunately I too fell off the wagon, especially last year while my mother was sick, and gained about 30 lb back. But I'm training for a triathlon now and trying to get it off again. Why can't it be as easy to take off as it is to put on???!!!!

Another clothing brand that I find comfortable and that travels well is Fresh Produce. They have stores in some location and you can also order online. They have a pretty good plus size selection also. They used to have an outlet store at the outlet mall in San Marcos TX and I would visit every time we were there. (Son goes to school in San Marcos.) But unfortunately they closed that store. I find their regular prices to be just a little on the high side, but they run frequent sales and they have clearance prices too.

Have fun planning...to me it extends the vacation. I love it. I wish I had a trip in the works now!

Aloha,

Donna

Thanks again Donna. Now for sizes. I have a pair of Lee jeans in size 12, but recently bought a "little black dress" for a May 2011 wedding in 16W (Liz Claibourne), feel very fluffy in it, but is a great dress. (Bride 2B approves). I find sizes are sooo varied. It is my puffy tummy that is the problem. So, if I order online, guess I'll get everything in multiple sizes and return what doesn't fit. There is an outlet mall that carries big-name brand. Maybe I'll venture the long drive to get there. (Maybe 45 min OW). Having the right travel clothes is a great thing. Thanks for taking the time to post all that you did, especially the clothes. I'm glad someone asked, too. Have a great day. Power walk time.

Ok girls - I have been buying all my "fluffy girl" clothes online for my upcoming cruise, even shoes. A really good website for cute, affordable plus size clothing (size 14 and up) is Woman Within. I expect my swim suits to be delivered today or tomorrow. Catherines is another great site.

Since I have been studying for an exam I have to take for work I don't have the time it takes to run from store to store and try everything on and both have good return policies. Just be aware that Woman Within sizes do run large - so watch the size charts.:D

I have been doing the South Beach Diet online and just hit the 30 pound weight loss mark! I still have a looooong way to go, but feel better already.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

• 1 month later...
I loved your book. I got a lot of good ideas from it. I especially liked your pages on the ship, itinerary, etc. Great!:D

My Photobook maker of choice is Picaboo. I like the fact that I can even use my own photos as backgrounds. It is very user friendly and very easy to customize. If you would like to see mine I will be happy to e-mail you a copy. Unfortunately I can't provide a link. E-mail me to see a copy of my Alaska book.

Have a great time in Hawaii! I can't wait to see your book for that one, too.:)

I'm with you on photobook makers! Picaboo is great. I've done 3 so far and have been extremely happy with all 3. Like you, using my own photos for backgrounds is nice and really personalizes it. They always have sales going on too so I usually try to wait for the 50% or their buy one get one free (same as 50%) because the albums I made were for weddings and I wanted one for myself too.;)

I'm with you on photobook makers! Picaboo is great. I've done 3 so far and have been extremely happy with all 3. Like you, using my own photos for backgrounds is nice and really personalizes it. They always have sales going on too so I usually try to wait for the 50% or their buy one get one free (same as 50%) because the albums I made were for weddings and I wanted one for myself too.;)

Mixbook allowed me to use my photos for backgrounds also. But I did have to crop them to the right size first. I will have to look in to Picaboo. Does Picaboo have a lot of available embellishments, or allow you to upload your own embellishments?

Donna

I had two goals for this trip: 1-to see/swim with sea turtles and 2-to have some authentic local Hawaiian cuisine.

Some more background - Even tho I am a "fluffy" girl, I am also I runner. I completed a marathon in February and will be competing in my 9th half marathon in 3 weeks. But being fluffy, I am definitely not a very fast runner, so I have a special affection for slower creatures, specifically penguins (runners will understand) and turtles. I have been wanting to swim with turtle for a couple of years. DH saw some and got pictures while snorkeling in Mexico last summer, but alas they were too elusive for me....that an I was chicken to swim that far out over the reef...so anyway, I was really looking forward to seeing turtles at Turtle Beach.

Show Turtles Aloha! (my new motto)

IMG_0513.JPG

Unfortunately when we get to Turtle Beach there are no turtles actually on the beach. There are two in the surf and it looks like they are trying to get on the beach, but there were so many people standing on the small area of sand that was available for them to crawl ashore, that I think they just decided not to mess with it. They were huge too. They looked like VW bugs swimming around in the surf. I was hoping some of the turtle volunteer ladies would make the people move off the sand and onto the rocks to give the Honu a clear passage, but they didn't. The ladies did say that a big one had been sunning on the sand a little earlier in the day. It was a lovely beach. Here are some photos:

IMG_0512.JPG

See the surfer on the far left.

IMG_0516.JPG

Looking west (left) from Turtle Beach.

IMG_0515.JPG

Point on the east (right) end of Turtle Beach. The surf was really high (seemed to me) on the other side of this point.

Next - Onward around the windward side of the island and to Waikiki

Love the pix!!!!

Mixbook allowed me to use my photos for backgrounds also. But I did have to crop them to the right size first. I will have to look in to Picaboo. Does Picaboo have a lot of available embellishments, or allow you to upload your own embellishments?

Donna

Picaboo has some things that they call "corners" and they have tons of backgrounds. I believe you can upload other things to the site, but didn't look into that, but will have to now!

FYI: Please accept my belated sympathy for the loss of your mother. I lost my mom almost 19 years ago. It's never easy, but I have to say my memories have gone from sad ones to happy ones now. I hope it will be the same for you (today is actually mine and my DH 30th wedding anniversary so very happy memories of her today!)

On a side note: Thank you so much for your wonderful and full descriptions of your vacation in Hawaii. I have enjoyed it so much. My DH and I will be cruising the Carnival Spirit in December 2011 to Hawaii :D...the 15 day round trip (long story short..I can't fly longer than 4 hrs. due to DVT and thought I'd never get to see Hawaii, but found this cruise and I'm so excited!).

With this cruise they don't give you much time on any of the islands and since it's my first time to Hawaii, I want to see and do it all, of course!...but know that it's impossible.

Can I be so bold as to ask you and anyone reading the boards, if you could only do one or two things on each of the islands what would it be? Our time on each island is as follows: Hilo 8am-10pm, Maui (Kahului), HI 8am-11pm, Honolulu, HI 9am-11pm, Kauai (Nawiliwili), HI 8am-5pm, and then Kona, HI 7am-4pm.

I'm a "fluffy-extra plus" and my DH "fullfy" (he'd kill me for saying that!:rolleyes:We're not huge extreme sports people, but we do want to try some new things (I really want to snorkel and he said he'd go only if they give him something like a boggie board). Hona's are high on my list too.

I know we won't attempt the RTH:(, not only because it's so long to do it and I don't think we'll have the time, but also because DH is in the car for work 2 hours a day and for him being in a car is NOT a vacation.

With such a short time on each island it makes me wonder if getting a car would be good or not:confused:; however, the excursions they have listed for our cruise right now (not an official one I don't think yet) are not things we'd be interested in (yes, we want to see the Arizona, but some of the other things they are tying in with it is not something we'd be interested in that make this excursion a 5 or 8 hour trip!).

Any advise on this?

Mahalo again for such an enjoyable read. I'm hoping our trip will be as fun.

p.s. anyone know what the water temps will be like in Dec?

On a side note: Thank you so much for your wonderful and full descriptions of your vacation in Hawaii. I have enjoyed it so much. My DH and I will be cruising the Carnival Spirit in December 2011 to Hawaii :D...the 15 day round trip (long story short..I can't fly longer than 4 hrs. due to DVT and thought I'd never get to see Hawaii, but found this cruise and I'm so excited!).

Debbie ... I didn't see your name on our roll call list ... drop in if you haven't already: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1228136

The Carnival Spirit is a beautiful ship. We've been on it a number of times. This will be our first cruise to Hawaii too.

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby too.

http://www.pinnacle-travel.org/hawaii/environment.htm

December - A winter month on Maui, with fairly frequent cold fronts sweeping over the island, bringing showery periods, with sometimes gusty winds. Still, December has its fair share of warm and balmy days as well! Medium to large surf is very common on the North and West shores of the island. One of the wettest months of the year, with some rainy days....although the areas around Kihei and Lahaina on the leeward sides of the island see less moisture than do the wetter windward sections in general. Tradewinds are blowing on the average 57% of the time. Sea water temperature averages about 76 degrees F.

December averages for different locations on Maui

Lahaina 83-65 F. (28.3C-18.3C) 3.20" of precipitation

Hana 79-66 F. (26.1C-18.9C) 6.05" of precipitation Kahului 81-66 F. (27.2C-18.9C) 3.27" of precipitation

Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 58%

Picaboo has some things that they call "corners" and they have tons of backgrounds. I believe you can upload other things to the site, but didn't look into that, but will have to now!

FYI: Please accept my belated sympathy for the loss of your mother. I lost my mom almost 19 years ago. It's never easy, but I have to say my memories have gone from sad ones to happy ones now. I hope it will be the same for you (today is actually mine and my DH 30th wedding anniversary so very happy memories of her today!)

With this cruise they don't give you much time on any of the islands and since it's my first time to Hawaii, I want to see and do it all, of course!...but know that it's impossible.

Can I be so bold as to ask you and anyone reading the boards, if you could only do one or two things on each of the islands what would it be? Our time on each island is as follows: Hilo 8am-10pm, Maui (Kahului), HI 8am-11pm, Honolulu, HI 9am-11pm, Kauai (Nawiliwili), HI 8am-5pm, and then Kona, HI 7am-4pm.

I'm a "fluffy-extra plus" and my DH "fullfy" (he'd kill me for saying that!:rolleyes:We're not huge extreme sports people, but we do want to try some new things (I really want to snorkel and he said he'd go only if they give him something like a boggie board). Hona's are high on my list too.

I know we won't attempt the RTH:(, not only because it's so long to do it and I don't think we'll have the time, but also because DH is in the car for work 2 hours a day and for him being in a car is NOT a vacation.

With such a short time on each island it makes me wonder if getting a car would be good or not:confused:; however, the excursions they have listed for our cruise right now (not an official one I don't think yet) are not things we'd be interested in (yes, we want to see the Arizona, but some of the other things they are tying in with it is not something we'd be interested in that make this excursion a 5 or 8 hour trip!).

Any advise on this?

Debbie - Thank you for the kind words and congratulations on your anniversary.

As for your itinerary. I would definitely think about renting cars especially in Hilo, Maui and Honolulu. If we were on your schedule these are the things I would consider:

Hilo - Renting a car and driving to VNP. This is a must. Then you should have plenty of time for some of the area waterfalls. There is a botanical garden outside of Hilo that I would have loved to seen.

Maui - Since you are here in December I would try to do a whale watching tour, then spend some time doing a walking tour of Lahaina. I would look into the timing and see if I could do the Old Lahaina Luau and make it back to the ship in time.

Honolulu - I would definitely go to Pearl Harbor. Afterwards I would go to the Kualoa Ranch and do their movie tour. Then I would work my way back around the windward side of the island, stopping at some of the beaches and lookouts. I would finish the day with a nice dinner at Duke's or Hula Grill, or somewhere on Waikiki Beach. I have a good book with driving tours of Oahu...can't remember the name of it right now but I can get that info and the author if you are interested.

Kauai - There is a photo tour in Kauai. We did not do it, but on our next trip I'm definitely going to do it first thing. It gets great review on Trip Adviser. If you look over there, it is one of the mostly highly rated Kauai activities.

Kona - No question about it, in Kona I would do the SeaQuest 3-stop snorkeling trip. That is our favorite excursion of all time.

Hope that helps some. Have fun with your planning.

Aloha!

Donna

Debbie - Thank you for the kind words and congratulations on your anniversary.

As for your itinerary. I would definitely think about renting cars especially in Hilo, Maui and Honolulu. If we were on your schedule these are the things I would consider:

Hilo - Renting a car and driving to VNP. This is a must. Then you should have plenty of time for some of the area waterfalls. There is a botanical garden outside of Hilo that I would have loved to seen.

Maui - Since you are here in December I would try to do a whale watching tour, then spend some time doing a walking tour of Lahaina. I would look into the timing and see if I could do the Old Lahaina Luau and make it back to the ship in time.

Honolulu - I would definitely go to Pearl Harbor. Afterwards I would go to the Kualoa Ranch and do their movie tour. Then I would work my way back around the windward side of the island, stopping at some of the beaches and lookouts. I would finish the day with a nice dinner at Duke's or Hula Grill, or somewhere on Waikiki Beach. I have a good book with driving tours of Oahu...can't remember the name of it right now but I can get that info and the author if you are interested.

Kauai - There is a photo tour in Kauai. We did not do it, but on our next trip I'm definitely going to do it first thing. It gets great review on Trip Adviser. If you look over there, it is one of the mostly highly rated Kauai activities.

Kona - No question about it, in Kona I would do the SeaQuest 3-stop snorkeling trip. That is our favorite excursion of all time.

Hope that helps some. Have fun with your planning.

Aloha!

Donna

Donna,

Thanks so much for your suggestions and your wonderful reviews of everything. Like so many others, I've copied it all and will be highlighting things.

My DH is so "anti-car" for the islands because he's heard horror stories about traffic being bad and he's fed up with traffic jams and all with his trips back and forth to Chicago every day for work. He wants to relax; however, like I told him some of the excursions from the ship are quite long and they are lumping various things together. I know from looking at them we'd like to do one part and pass on the other part so a car would make so much more sense to me. I'm not big on taxi cabs..never cared for them.

We also will not be lugging around luggage on the islands either so we don't have to worry about that. It's always a hassle. I already know he'll also worry about getting lost, but I plan on ordering those maps you suggested and we have a GPS (which from the boards I've read some great advice about putting in the addresses ahead of time so you're not messing with it when you're there!). I don't mind driving so he can sit back and relax.

Do you know what the water temps were when you were there? I see that in December they're about 76, which can be a little cool..but if it's in the high 80's on land, it could feel good instead of cold. Reason I'm asking is I see quite a few of the excursions for snorkeling say things about wearing a wet suit and that is out of the question for me! It's one thing to see this body in a swimsuit, but a wetsuit?:eek: No way! If I posted pictures after that it would be one of your "OMG" ones!!! :D I didn't see you mention anything about wet suits.

I would appreciate it if you gave me the information for that travel book for Oahu. I have a couple I want to go and purchase (or order from Amazon).

I received a bag in my daily paper for Office Max and anything you can fit into it you get at 20% off so I'll be looking for my traveling binder from there and they had an Fuji underwater camera on sale too that will fit into the bag. I'll have to make sure to grab a few camera cards too.

Every spare minute I have I've been trying to find information about the cruise and get all the ideas I can so we can really enjoy it instead of "working" and wasting time trying to figure out what we're going to do. My DH just doesn't understand all the work that goes into having fun...but I love looking into it and seeing all my options!

BTW...did you see in the news where the volcano erupted again? Lots more lava flowing and it was shooting all up. They said lots of steam all around too.

Also, anyone on the Dec. 2, 2011 Spirit, they just had another lower price offered. I sent in my early saver claim form and I'm waiting on their approval. First time I saved $980 and this time it will be another $60! This will cover a lot of my excursions!;)

Thanks again!

Debbie

Debbie ... I didn't see your name on our roll call list ... drop in if you haven't already: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1228136

The Carnival Spirit is a beautiful ship. We've been on it a number of times. This will be our first cruise to Hawaii too.

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby too.

Thanks Mary...I'll have to check it out. As I said before, this is only our second time on a cruise and the first time it was all arranged for us because it was a group trip that we won. We did fall in love with cruising though!:D

Donna,

Thanks so much for your suggestions and your wonderful reviews of everything. Like so many others, I've copied it all and will be highlighting things.

My DH is so "anti-car" for the islands because he's heard horror stories about traffic being bad and he's fed up with traffic jams and all with his trips back and forth to Chicago every day for work. He wants to relax; however, like I told him some of the excursions from the ship are quite long and they are lumping various things together. I know from looking at them we'd like to do one part and pass on the other part so a car would make so much more sense to me. I'm not big on taxi cabs..never cared for them.

We also will not be lugging around luggage on the islands either so we don't have to worry about that. It's always a hassle. I already know he'll also worry about getting lost, but I plan on ordering those maps you suggested and we have a GPS (which from the boards I've read some great advice about putting in the addresses ahead of time so you're not messing with it when you're there!). I don't mind driving so he can sit back and relax.

Do you know what the water temps were when you were there? I see that in December they're about 76, which can be a little cool..but if it's in the high 80's on land, it could feel good instead of cold. Reason I'm asking is I see quite a few of the excursions for snorkeling say things about wearing a wet suit and that is out of the question for me! It's one thing to see this body in a swimsuit, but a wetsuit?:eek: No way! If I posted pictures after that it would be one of your "OMG" ones!!! :D I didn't see you mention anything about wet suits.

I would appreciate it if you gave me the information for that travel book for Oahu. I have a couple I want to go and purchase (or order from Amazon).

I received a bag in my daily paper for Office Max and anything you can fit into it you get at 20% off so I'll be looking for my traveling binder from there and they had an Fuji underwater camera on sale too that will fit into the bag. I'll have to make sure to grab a few camera cards too.

Every spare minute I have I've been trying to find information about the cruise and get all the ideas I can so we can really enjoy it instead of "working" and wasting time trying to figure out what we're going to do. My DH just doesn't understand all the work that goes into having fun...but I love looking into it and seeing all my options!

BTW...did you see in the news where the volcano erupted again? Lots more lava flowing and it was shooting all up. They said lots of steam all around too.

Also, anyone on the Dec. 2, 2011 Spirit, they just had another lower price offered. I sent in my early saver claim form and I'm waiting on their approval. First time I saved $980 and this time it will be another $60! This will cover a lot of my excursions!;)

Thanks again!

Debbie

Debbie - The book is Driving and Discovering Hawaii: Oahu, Honolulu, and Waikiki by Richard Sullivan. It is a very nice book, lots of beautiful photos and history of Oahu.

We were there in Oct and I didn't see anyone in wet suits. The water was very comfortable, so no one needed one. I'm with you though, no way am I getting in a wet suit. I doubt they even make one I could get in! On the plus side, I could probably get up close to the whales because they would mistake me of one of their own!

I too love the process of planning a trip. I'm in withdrawal right now because I don't have one to plan at the moment.:(

Donna

Any advise on this?

I am a planner, but I have a few holes in the itinerary yet to fill...We went on the Pride of Aloha six years ago with the same itinerary of ports, so we'll be doing some repeats and some new excursions, too.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Arrive at HNL airport @ 12:55 p.m.; 1:30-2:00 p.m., begin private East Oahu tour with eight scenic stops and drop-off at ship at 4:30-5:00 p.m. Ship departs at 7:00 p.m. Quick lunch on our own dime at one of the East Oahu tour stops. Dinner on the ship.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Beach Day @Maui (Makena Beach or Lahaina @ Whaler’s Village Beach)

Feast at Lele Reserved for all five in our party; $112 per person plus tax (the best Luau Show-not cancelling this for anyone)

Monday, July 11, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Early rise to Molokini/Turtle Town Snorkel Reserved

To join: call 888-700-3764 toll free

ask for 7:15 a.m. departure QS Charters/QS AM Snorkel Adventure $96.86 each

Sightseeing until return to ship

Tuesday,July 12, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Hilo to Volcanoes National Park--w/pass free or small entrance fee $10

Sightseeing: possible/likely rainy conditions until return to ship

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Kona

no excursions yet planned

Sightseeing or beach day until return to ship

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Napali Sunset Dinner Sail reserved for $105.00 each

800-535-0830 Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures and Raft Expeditions

Friday, July 15, 2011

Rental Car Reserved 1/2 Day

*ship departs early

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Early walk-off; shuttle to hotel

NO RESERVED CAR

WAIKIKI BEACH MARRIOTT RESORT AND SPA

Sightseeing or Beach Day

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pearl Harbor

Depart hotel at 6:30 a.m. on private reserved shuttle to Pearl Harbor

Return on transfer or with same private reserved shuttle

I am a planner, but I have a few holes in the itinerary yet to fill...We went on the Pride of Aloha six years ago with the same itinerary of ports, so we'll be doing some repeats and some new excursions, too.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Arrive at HNL airport @ 12:55 p.m.; 1:30-2:00 p.m., begin private East Oahu tour with eight scenic stops and drop-off at ship at 4:30-5:00 p.m. Ship departs at 7:00 p.m. Quick lunch on our own dime at one of the East Oahu tour stops. Dinner on the ship.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Beach Day @Maui (Makena Beach or Lahaina @ Whaler’s Village Beach)

Feast at Lele Reserved for all five in our party; $112 per person plus tax (the best Luau Show-not cancelling this for anyone)

Monday, July 11, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Early rise to Molokini/Turtle Town Snorkel Reserved

To join: call 888-700-3764 toll free

ask for 7:15 a.m. departure QS Charters/QS AM Snorkel Adventure $96.86 each

Sightseeing until return to ship

Tuesday,July 12, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Hilo to Volcanoes National Park--w/pass free or small entrance fee $10

Sightseeing: possible/likely rainy conditions until return to ship

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Kona

no excursions yet planned

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rental Car Reserved

Napali Sunset Dinner Sail reserved for $105.00 each

800-535-0830 Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures and Raft Expeditions

Friday, July 15, 2011

Rental Car Reserved 1/2 Day

*ship departs early

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Early walk-off; shuttle to hotel

NO RESERVED CAR

WAIKIKI BEACH MARRIOTT RESORT AND SPA

Sightseeing or Beach Day

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pearl Harbor

Depart hotel at 6:30 a.m. on private reserved shuttle to Pearl Harbor

Return on transfer or with same private reserved shuttle

We are celebrating my aunt's pending retirement, so the Luau is one that I researched quite heavily in order to give her exactly what she expects and deserves for her first time to Hawaii. DH does not care to do "shows" but will be a good sport for my aunt.

I have heard others suggest to layer your clothing for VNP in case some areas are colder. It rains a lot in Hilo, too. My family never got off the ship in Hilo on the last trip. What were we thinking?

Pearl Harbor has the Arizona tickets for free; the Missouri and the Bowfin have admission fees and/or paid self-guided or crew member guided tours. My husband will probably stay at the Pearl Harbor campus until it closes, like he did the last time. Check it out at Pearl-harbor.com

I have been reading and re-reading your review to plan the most perfect trip for myself and my family. I am getting ready to put the addresses that you gave into my GPS Navigator on my cell phone. We are a party of five, with three being on a tight budget, so I am trying to keep the excursions within reason. I have Maui, Hilo, and Kauai covered, but we are still considering what to do for one of our Oahu dates and Kona. No one wants to do the three stop snorkel or the jet-skiing that I suggested. I am afraid Kona is going to be a souvenir shopping day--not my ideal--or worse, staying aboard the ship. I have read about the beaches in Kona, and it sound like most of them are a bit dangerous for swimming, or the sand is not hospitable. Since we are doing VNP in Hilo, we have Kona to do a beach day if we find a safe spot.

The only tough swallow from your review was the picture of the guest in your cruise cabin...not looking forward to any critter encounters in my luggage or my sleeping quarters. It was the only clue that you hadn't actually been describing heaven on earth.

I have been reading and re-reading your review to plan the most perfect trip for myself and my family. I am getting ready to put the addresses that you gave into my GPS Navigator on my cell phone. We are a party of five, with three being on a tight budget, so I am trying to keep the excursions within reason. I have Maui, Hilo, and Kauai covered, but we are still considering what to do for one of our Oahu dates and Kona. No one wants to do the three stop snorkel or the jet-skiing that I suggested. I am afraid Kona is going to be a souvenir shopping day--not my ideal--or worse, staying aboard the ship. I have read about the beaches in Kona, and it sound like most of them are a bit dangerous for swimming, or the sand is not hospitable. Since we are doing VNP in Hilo, we have Kona to do a beach day if we find a safe spot.

The only tough swallow from your review was the picture of the guest in your cruise cabin...not looking forward to any critter encounters in my luggage or my sleeping quarters. It was the only clue that you hadn't actually been describing heaven on earth.

Why do all 5 of you have to do everything together? If you and 1 other want to do two-step to snorkel or go to a beach for the day or something else, why can't you separate? My DH and I are going with 8 other people and we're all doing different things on different days. Some days I'll be with BFF, some days with DSister, some days with Mom, etc., etc.

Thanks for all this great info! We are going on POA's 8/27 sailing and are seriously psyched!

If you get a chance....and you still have the info... can you post the name of the tatoo spot!

Thanks.....

A Rainbow Studio located at the International Marketplace. http://www.arainbowstudio.com/

The artist's name is Panamaw. They have many, many designs to choose from.

Have fun!

Donna

I agree with SmrtyPnts - Break the group up this day. You can do the SeaQuest 3-stop snorkel excursion and then when it's over, meet the rest of your party in town for shopping, drinks, late lunch. The others can stay on the ship or get an early start on the shopping, or find a nearby beach. You don't get to go to Hawaii every day, so everyone deserves to do the things they want. I can't imagine staying on the ship though. But to each their own.

Aloha,

Donna

Debbie - The book is Driving and Discovering Hawaii: Oahu, Honolulu, and Waikiki by Richard Sullivan. It is a very nice book, lots of beautiful photos and history of Oahu.

We were there in Oct and I didn't see anyone in wet suits. The water was very comfortable, so no one needed one. I'm with you though, no way am I getting in a wet suit. I doubt they even make one I could get in! On the plus side, I could probably get up close to the whales because they would mistake me of one of their own!

I too love the process of planning a trip. I'm in withdrawal right now because I don't have one to plan at the moment.:(

Donna

I never thought about being able to get closer to the whales because they'd think I was one of them!;)

Thanks for the book info. I will have to take a look at it.

On our Carnival Spirit cruise they are offering an excursion called:

Hollywood in Hawaii, Movies & Waterfalls.

I tried to google it to see what it was all about because I was wondering if you get a chance to get out and look around or is it just a "ride by", but on Google it says they are now out of business as of last year. Hmmm:confused:

I'd like to do something like this, especially to see where Lost was filmed, if on Kauai, but I'd like the chance to get off the bus and take some pictures too.

There was another excursion on Hilo that looked interesting too. It was a tour of waterfalls, and the last one they did not name. They said it was a private fall and had a "pool" at the bottom where they will be doing a BBQ and it had a pavillion to sit under, you could kayak (sp?), swim, etc.

I wanted to get a car in Hilo so I could do VNP along with the chain of craters and see Akaka Falls (no excursion from the ship or what I could find anywhere that did all 3). If I had time I'd like to do that last one where they have the natural "pool" at the foot of another waterfall.

I know trying to do all of the above on Hilo seems like a bit much, but I know my DH and he will not want to spend much time at any of the look outs, etc. so a lot of that will be just some quick stops and get on the way. I know we'll finish it in only 3/4 of the time they post if not 1/2...just have to worry about traffic.

I know DH wants to spend time at beaches and not be on the go all of the time, but I know from reading in the forums, not all beaches are sand covered like he's thinking the will be.

The ports I'd like to get a car in are: Hilo, Maui, Kauai, and possibly Kona. Could you please tell me where is the best place (meaning airport, etc.) to pick up the car that is closest to the ship port?

Thanks to everyone for their information!