Bringing Alcohol on Destiny?

clementyne

We leave on Destiny out of San Juan next Sunday, 2/27 and I have been pouring over these boards for information. I am getting mixed opinions about bringing alcohol on board with you. I know that if we bring it from home, we should pack it in our suitcases vs. bringing it in our carryons, wrapped in bubble wrap and sealed in a ziplog bag.

Others have said not to bring it from home, but rather buy it at port (it's cheaper?)and just put it in your bags when you go onto the ship. Is there a place to buy alcohol at the Pier in San Juan? If so, should we buy it and slip it into our suitcases before we check our luggage in, or put it in our carryon?

Still others have said they didn't even attempt to hide it, and put it right onto the luggage scanner and it went right through - no problem.

Finally others have said, why buy it at Port? Just buy it on the ship and have it sent to your room.

I'm so confused! :confused:

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Clem

I cruised on the Destiny out of San Juan on 1/9. I had read that you could buy liquor at the pier and carry it on, but I had my doubts, since my experience had been that you could not take liquor in your carry-on. We packed it in our checked luggage in bubble-wrap, plastic etc. Turns out we did not need to go to the trouble.

At the cruise terminal, they had rum tastings in front of the liquor store, and told us we could carry it right on to the ship. I still had my doubts, but they were absolutely correct! My friend even went back to the liquor store after we had boarded the ship and unpacked, and bought even more! Great prices and there was not a single problem with taking it onto the ship. I still don't get it, but it was true!

I think if you buy it on the ship, they will hold it for you until the last day.

Have a great cruise!

Pack it in your checked bags and lock them.

There is a duty free shop in the ship terminal. Sometimes they will confiscate from carrying on and sometimes not. I don't risk it as my olny source. Even if they confiscate, you get it back the last full day of the cruise, so you have at least one night to drink your fill.

If you buy packaged liquor on board, they will keep until the last full day of the cruise. Sometimes if you buy the night before the last full day they will just let you take with.

When packing in a suitcase, I use these:

http://www.platypushydration.com/

http://www.platypushydration.com/bottles_carriers.asp?Action=Bottle

{with closure cap}

and skip the weight of a bottle and dealing with bubble wrap. Sometimes I will put them in ziplocks, but have never had a leak. I think you really could stand on it without a leaking. All bets off if you jump up and down on it.

We sailed Destiny in June of '03 and I packed a bottle of rum. It made it from home to San Juan and on to the Destiny with no problems. If I had it to do over again I'd have bought the bottle in San Juan since rum is so much cheaper there but what's a couple of bucks...

Some people go through this elaborate thing using colored plastic bottles, pouring their liquor into them etc. I just roll my bottle of choice in a big fluffy towel and make sure it is in the middle of the suitcase. That has worked for me on several occasions.

In October, we saw booze being confiscated that was not hidden. Basically, the stuff that the store gives you to box it up and carry home didn't pass... Those that put the bottles in their luggage got them through. I wouldn't chance it personally. If you have to bring it on board with you, then hide it for sure.

We sailed on the Destiny a couple of years ago from San Juan. there was a liquor store right there at embarkation, on the pier, i think the very last store before you board. Its obviously not a secret place, and they told us there would be no problem taking in on the ship. We bought some and did just that, walked right on, with no problem.

Archived