Touring the Engine Room????

Bmaintz

After being on 3 Navy ships where I operated engine rooms without a seperate control room. Its so noisy you cant hear yourself think and its very hot..well over 100 deg in some places. Thank god they enforced the hearing protection rules, otherwise I would be deaf right now.

Back then things were steam powered with boilers which Im familiar with.

They didn't enforce it at all when I was in. I have major hearing loss in the higher ranges - you know, about the pitch an SSTG makes as steam whistles through the Trip & Throttle Valve?

Even when our Diesels at work start up, it is very loud in there. Of course we have a horn that goes off first, so you don't want to be near the panels when that goes off. Not allowed to enter the rooms unless you have hearing protection on your person.

We have 4 very large Emergency Diesel Generators where I work. Big, honkin' generators - 16 cylinder 10,000 horsepower ones. The annunciator horn before startup or any other time an alarm comes in is enough to startle even a dead person!

what???????? Huh???????

Exactly!

I am the Chief Engineer on a Mississippi River Boat, I would really like to tour the Splendor since the fire, Only to see what happened. I look everyday on this vessel for fire potential, Fire anywhere is bad , on a vessel its life and death. The link below is of the Vessel I am on, I am taking the video, I am the only person responsible for the engine room upkeep, while on my tour of duty. It is loud and it gets very hot but far from dirty...

This video is S/B at St. Louis , One of our most dangerous places to navigate thru.....

Thanks for those videos, Bilbo. Very impressive! and the engine room is spotless!

Engine room tours are rare to non-existant. When my former employer owned 49% of Celebrity, one of our ship's engineers, fully knowledgable, fully versed and knew his way around an ship's engine asked when he sailed on the M/V Horizon if he could see the Engine room, he was told No. They allow no passengers there. Even when told who he was and that his credentials could have easily been verified, they still said no.

It's very rare that passengers are able to see the actual workings of a cruise ship.

Anita

We did the Behind the Fun tour this past February on the Carnival Dream.

We got to go all the way to the bow of the ship and had our pict taken, then to the below decks where all the food is kept. Then to the laundry. After that we went to the Engine Control room and talked to main Engineer. After a lot more stairs we made it to the bridge, had a group then individual picts with the captain and asked him questions. It was a blast!

For the $95, you get a wonderful workout :rolleyes:, three 8x10s, a day sack, a hat and some fun behind the scenes looks. Loved the Supper club at the end. They showed how wonderful their steaks are. (We all kinda smiled when they said they were corn fed, being Iowans and all):p

This is my son the engine cadet in the engine room of an oiler in the Pacific this past summer. It's clean, but it's a work area - from a liability perspective, I can understand why it's a crew only area. (BTW, all crew were required to wear earplugs in the engine room.)

2753108870094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

We did the Behind the Fun tour on Conquest in February and thought it was well worth the $95. We signed up right after we boarded - two tours, 16 people each, and they had a waiting list. The engine control room is very interesting - more so, in my view, than getting to see the engine room itself.

E

It's very rare that passengers are able to see the actual workings of a cruise ship.

Anita

When cruising on the Rotterdam back in 2002 my Father in law struck up a conversation with the ship's engineer during the suite dinner. They talked about motors, as my FIL had started up a company that made tiny motors. During desert my dad, a civil engineer in the water field came over and entered the conversation and which enticed the ship's engineer to invite us all on an tour of the engine room, water systems, sewage systems, and other areas including the laundry. It was incredible. (And yes, loud...) The thing that sticks in my mind to this day is the amount of duct tape used in the engine room. For demarkation, not to hold things together. But still, lots and lots of duct tape.

Archived