Touring the Engine Room????

Bmaintz

Will be on the Splendor soon & I want to take a tour of the engine room...

How do you go about this..???

Also may want to go up & steer the ship...:rolleyes:

Bob

I want to win a million dollars in the lottery tonight.

Both of our chances are zero. Mine because I do not buy lottery tickets.

I did the Behind the Fun tour on the Legend. You can go as far as the control room but you're not able to go any further than that. They do have cameras that show the engine room. Too dangerous and too hot in there.

Bob

You don't, but for $95 bucks you can see control room.

You don't, but for $95 bucks you can see control room.

In the control room, you can see the engine room on video.

On our tour, a worker walked out of a door that lead into the engine area, and we could glance inside... not much to see though.

That is as close as you can get to the engine room on a cruise ship. Take a freighter cruise and you can tour the engine room there, no problem!

Bob

You will not be allowed into the "Engine Room", you can however, for a price, see the control room and possibly even the bridge. (We did on Triumph a while back) A little pricey, but worth it to me. I enjoyed the environmental briefing from the Officer in charge of that section the best. Amazing how all that works. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bob

I just thought this post/thread was a little ironic:)

Hope you weren't on board last week and that your future cruise leaves as scheduled

After being on 3 Navy ships where I operated engine rooms without a seperate control room. Its so noisy you cant hear yourself think and its very hot..well over 100 deg in some places. Thank god they enforced the hearing protection rules, otherwise I would be deaf right now.

Back then things were steam powered with boilers which Im familiar with.

After being on 3 Navy ships where I operated engine rooms without a seperate control room. Its so noisy you cant hear yourself think and its very hot..well over 100 deg in some places. Thank god they enforced the hearing protection rules, otherwise I would be deaf right now.

Back then things were steam powered with boilers which Im familiar with.

Even when our Diesels at work start up, it is very loud in there. Of course we have a horn that goes off first, so you don't want to be near the panels when that goes off. Not allowed to enter the rooms unless you have hearing protection on your person.

Engine room tours will never be allowed, is just to dangerous......

Beside that after u come out you have to head for the shower....

Its not dirty down there. they keep the enginerooms clean. I can understand people sweating in the heat..Then they may need a shower afterwards..Not from dirt.

I am the Chief Engineer on a Mississippi River Boat, I would really like to tour the Splendor since the fire, Only to see what happened. I look everyday on this vessel for fire potential, Fire anywhere is bad , on a vessel its life and death. The link below is of the Vessel I am on, I am taking the video, I am the only person responsible for the engine room upkeep, while on my tour of duty. It is loud and it gets very hot but far from dirty...

This video is S/B at St. Louis , One of our most dangerous places to navigate thru.....

There were 5 of us on a tour of the engine room of the the Royal Carribbean Rhapsody of the Seas. That was after 2001 I believe it was 2003. The Chief Engineer gave us the tour. The rooms were spotless. The preheater for the diesel was very warm and of course even after being warned one guy had to touch it. We saw 2 of the electic generator and I believe 4 engines. We stood about 4 feet from the turning shaft. No guards around it, bery dangerous for the uninformed.

We saw one of the engine apart in the machine shop. Per showed us the gray and black tanks and the stablizers. We later went to the control room. We only saw one guy working in the bowels of the ship, they monitor everything from the offices and have computer screen and cameras for everything.

So even though everyone says no tours, the Chief Engineer can give tours at his discretion.

Its not dirty down there. they keep the enginerooms clean. I can understand people sweating in the heat..Then they may need a shower afterwards..Not from dirt.

Never say is dirty in the engine room, I was referring to heat make you sweating :)

after being on 3 navy ships where i operated engine rooms without a seperate control room. Its so noisy you cant hear yourself think and its very hot..well over 100 deg in some places. Thank god they enforced the hearing protection rules, otherwise i would be deaf right now.

Back then things were steam powered with boilers which im familiar with.

what???????? Huh???????

Archived