American dollars in Mexico are now limited

ShedQueen77

Yes, they are. At least down here. And as I said not just the border towns but Cozumel, Cancun...why would I NOT want to do a vacation so close and convenient to home?:confused:

I just read the whole warning by both the US and Canada. Nothing was mentioned about the Yucatan Penninsula. Most all the warnings are north and along the border towns. Nowhere did I see Cancun or Cozumel listed. Of course there was mention of being cautious, stay in the tourist areas and away from remote areas, don't wear expensive jewelry, etc. which is the norm for many places.

I suspect, or at least hope, the cruise lines are keeping up with the situation and would not dock if they felt there was imminent danger to pax.

What does that have to do with the price of bananas? Now it's time for my huh?

Sorry heart. I meant to post to the guy who didn't believe me. I'm really only trying to be helpful. I apologize to iheartba. I clicked the wrong respond. I'm really only trying to make others aware. I don't have a pony in this race...:(

Ms Belp: you stated a second time that "yes they are down here," suggesting someone in the US Government was telling you (and other Americans) not to go to Mexico. This is simply not the case.

Angels15, I only included the part of the warning for travelers. The section you included explains why the State Dept ordered the withdrawal of dependents from certain border areas. That order has expired, as your quote indicated.

While violence is an unfortunate fact in parts of Mexico, it is simply wrong to "just warn" people that the US government is saying not to visit any part of Mexico.

There are 50 violent crimes in Detroit every day, and a murder nearly every day (361 in the 365 days of 2009). Just within the city of Detroit. Please, people, do not visit Detroit. In fact, I am sure all the cruise lines will drop the port of Detroit.

Oops, the cruise lines don't go to Detroit. HOWEVER, New Orleans has a murder rate 25% higher than Detroit. Please, please, don't even think of going to the Big Easy. :):)

Bill

On a slightly more serious note, several sources report the murder rate of Quintana Roo in Mexico (the state containing Cozumel and Cancun) is roughly one-tenth the murder rate of Miami, and most of those murders are on the mainland and outside Cancun.

So, the puzzle is, why are so many people so bad at doing risk analysis? The same thing is happening on a number of threads about cruise ships which are visiting, say, Labadee in Haiti. People who would fly in airplanes to get to the embarkation port, and thereby risk getting TB, influenza, and any number of potentially fatal airborne illnesses (Influenza alone causes on average an estimated 25,000 deaths in the U.S. every year), will post that they would stay on the ship rather than visit an isolated beach in Haiti.

Is it that they are just bad at math, or is it that unfamiliar diseases with exotic names, like cholera, or crimes in unfamiliar locales, just instill so much fear that people are incapable of comparing the odds with every day risks they readily accept?

Bill

Make sure you bring your pesos if you spend big in Mexico. While I never expect any foreign country to automatically take my American money, I know that many of us do use USD when visiting Cozumel and other ports.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/10/25/no-more-paying-with-dollars-at-mexico-resorts/

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2010/10/mexico-currency-law-pesos-dollars-drug-cartels/127503/1

This does not apply to tourist areas, don't bring Pesos to Cozumel. Last week at a bar in Cozumel some one tried to pay in Pesos and the bartender had to use a calculator to determine the amount to pay.

Tons of drugs were found growing along the Trinity River near downtown Dallas, probably gang grown, but I still go to Dallas. Ariz is full of kidnappings, drugs, mass murders, but I still drive to our condo inScottsdale, BE AWARE, but live your life!

Archived