American dollars in Mexico are now limited

ShedQueen77

Make sure you bring your pesos if you spend big in Mexico. While I never expect any foreign country to automatically take my American money, I know that many of us do use USD when visiting Cozumel and other ports.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/10/25/no-more-paying-with-dollars-at-mexico-resorts/

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2010/10/mexico-currency-law-pesos-dollars-drug-cartels/127503/1

Make sure you bring your pesos if you spend big in Mexico. While I never expect any foreign country to automatically take my American money, I know that many of us do use USD when visiting Cozumel and other ports.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/10/25/no-more-paying-with-dollars-at-mexico-resorts/

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2010/10/mexico-currency-law-pesos-dollars-drug-cartels/127503/1

It's hard to believe that any country in the world will no longer accept US dollars. Mexico is crazy to put this into effect. But you know what.......whenever I go to Mexico on a cruise I use PLASTIC which is accepted everywhere. :rolleyes:

It's hard to believe that any country in the world will no longer accept US dollars. Mexico is crazy to put this into effect. But you know what.......whenever I go to Mexico on a cruise I use PLASTIC which is accepted everywhere. :rolleyes:

No, Mexico is trying to solve the serious problem it has with drug money laundering.

This has come up before. It does not say they will not take us money - but there are limits. Like $100 per day at one merchant. Other than for drinks at some bar - we would be hard pressed to spend more than $100 for an entire day in Mexico.

This has come up before. It does not say they will not take us money - but there are limits. Like $100 per day at one merchant. Other than for drinks at some bar - we would be hard pressed to spend more than $100 for an entire day in Mexico.

Very true, hence why I said limited instead of they won't take it at all. ;) It's easy for us to spend that much a day. Darn kids are expensive! lol :D

We used USD in Cozumel & Costa Maya last week.

One thing to think about with using plastic in foreign countries now, is that extra 'charge' for foreign transactions by the credit card companies.

That's why I have stopped using my credit card. I have one now that doesn't charge the fee, but I prefer not to use it just because I'm credit card wary and try not to unless I need to. :)

This has come up a lot on the Carnival forums. It shouldn't be an issue if you stay in the tourist areas. From what I've read, they are still accepting dollars in the popular touristy places but as mentioned in previous posts, there is a $100/transaction limit. If you go off the beaten path, then it would probably be wise to have some pesos handy.

So I shouldn't have any problem using my Canadian money when visiting a tourist area like New York?:confused: You could probably use US in Canada in shops and cafes as well but I am pretty sure you would not like the exchange rate you would be charged:eek: ATM's are my friend in different countries.

"They" put out a travel warning? Who?

This is from the US State Department web site:

"Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year. This includes tens of thousands who cross the border every day for study, tourism or business and at least one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major drug trafficking routes. Nevertheless, crime and violence are serious problems. While most victims of violence are Mexican citizens associated with criminal activity, the security situation poses serious risks for U.S. citizens as well."

They are not telling US citizens to not visit Mexico.

They have put out an alert that Americans should not travel to Mexico. Anywhere in Mexico. Not just the border which has become so frightening down here. No way, no how.

Can you provide a link to that information? Have not seen any warnings for anywhere.:confused:

alot of times the purchases are anywhere from $1 to maybe $20 and i wont use my CC for that...and some of those little merchants dont take and its easier to 'bargain' with them when you have a few bills...we always have lots of small change/bills with us!

Can you provide a link to that information? Have not seen any warnings for anywhere.:confused:

I don't know how to provide the link, sorry. But you can find info on state deparment.gov. And, they put it on the news here almost every day. They killed people at a birthday party at Ciudad Juarez and also killed more in a drug treatment center just this past few days. If I can find it I will post it. You could probably google it yourselves. It's been on the news channels.

"Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year. This includes tens of thousands who cross the border every day for study, tourism or business and at least one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major drug trafficking routes. Nevertheless, crime and violence are serious problems. While most victims of violence are Mexican citizens associated with criminal activity, the security situation poses serious risks for U.S. citizens as well."

Yes, they are. At least down here. And as I said not just the border towns but Cozumel, Cancun...why would I NOT want to do a vacation so close and convenient to home?:confused:

NoVaCruiser60:

Seems like you left the top part of the State Dapt. (they) warning to Mexico off your post. :eek: Next time put the warning part on too !!!:cool:

Quote from the U.S. State Department:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html

September 10, 2010

"The Department of State has issued this Travel Warning to inform U.S. citizens traveling to and living in Mexico about the security situation in Mexico. The status of authorized departure of family members of U.S. government personnel from U.S. Consulates in the northern Mexico border cities of Tijuana, Nogales, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey and Matamoros ended on September 10 following the expiration of the maximum 180 day period. Based upon a security review in Monterrey following the shooting on August 20, 2010, in front of the American Foundation School in Monterrey and the high incidence of kidnappings in the Monterrey area, U.S. government personnel from the Consulate General have been advised that the immediate, practical and reliable way to reduce the security risks for all children is to remove them from Monterrey. As of September 10, 2010, the Consulate General in Monterrey is a partially unaccompanied post, meaning no minor dependents of U.S. government employees are permitted to remain in the city. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning for Mexico dated August 27, 2010 to note the lifting of Authorized Departure status for U.S. Consulates along the U.S.-Mexico border."

Your in a third world country....this isn't Disneyland !!!!

To be informed is to be forewarned.......just saying !!

I believe the State department notice clearly references that the highest crimes are occuring in Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana. These border towns have always been dangerous. Yes there is concern about the drug violence in Mexico. It is also spilling over into Arizona and Texas. Does this mean don't go there as well? You take a risk crossing the street every day too - does that mean you should never cross the street? I think the message is be careful when traveling to Mexico. I believe you can still go to Mexico on a cruise and have a good time.

There is a already another thread for this subject on the Mexican Riviera itinerary boards.

This thread really should be about the $100 US cash limit in Mexico. Ok, now I'm off my soap box!

Archived