Anyone back from the Miracle new itinerary yet???

celticd1

I found this website with info of Altos de Chevon.

http://www.igougo.com/review-r1161739-Beyond_Alluring_Postcards_of_Altos_de_Chavon.html

It states in here that admission is free.

It is my understanding the fee is "new" within the last year to year and 1/2. There used to be a road that "tourists" could use to get to Altos de Chavon but that is gone now because they are building a big highway. So now the only road in is either a road only workers are supposed to use or the road that goes through some compound where super rich people live. They started charging a fee to keep the riff raff out.

From what I can tell it is $5/pp if you are staying at a resort there and have a resort bracelet or key card but $25 if you are a local. I haven't figured out exactly how a cruise ship guest fits into that.

I'm sure the fee is included in the $48 Carnival is charging for the excursion. I'd like to take the shuttle that I read is available at the port for less than $10, but not if I'm going to be charged an additional $25/pp to pass though the rich folks backyard.

Afternoon all. We made it back from the B2B. Week one. Grand Turk: found the Carnival power snorkel to the wall. Not what I expected, visibility was poor. But talking with divers at other sites. They had great visibility. La Romania D.R.: The speed boat to the national park area was my favorite. Waste deep water, picked up starfish, unlimited Columbus rum, then off to a beach so relaxing. Clear water, shade from palm trees, and many new friends. Aruba: went to De Palm Island, A water park. Lunch, snorkeling, banana boat ride, loungers. Curacao: just walking around into town. WEEK TWO: hurricane = rerouted revisited Grand Turk. Much better the second visit.

Hi!!! Did you guys ONLY go to Grand Turk??? Anywhere else? Did you get any on board credit?

The Speed boat looks and sounds very interesting to Samana Island, BUT we can not do a speed boat with in laws so we are doing the boat to Catalina Island instead!

my computer isn't cooperating with uploading pictures to cc, so i've posted my fb link to pictures decent enough to post for the whole world to see.:o:p:D

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=325250&id=502780743&l=b011f39008

Great pics! :cool: Looks like you had an awesome vacation! :D Thanks for sharing. We will be on the sailing of the 19th. Can't wait! Hope our pics are as good as yours!

Marg :)

my computer isn't cooperating with uploading pictures to cc, so i've posted my fb link to pictures decent enough to post for the whole world to see.:o:p:D

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=325250&id=502780743&l=b011f39008

Great pictures thank you so much for sharing!! I cant wait to go!!:D

Afternoon all. We made it back from the B2B. Week one. Grand Turk: found the Carnival power snorkel to the wall. Not what I expected, visibility was poor. But talking with divers at other sites. They had great visibility. La Romania D.R.: The speed boat to the national park area was my favorite. Waste deep water, picked up starfish, unlimited Columbus rum, then off to a beach so relaxing. Clear water, shade from palm trees, and many new friends. Aruba: went to De Palm Island, A water park. Lunch, snorkeling, banana boat ride, loungers. Curacao: just walking around into town. WEEK TWO: hurricane = rerouted revisited Grand Turk. Much better the second visit.

WELCOME BACK! Glad you survived Tomas and had a great week 2! How'd the trivia go? Any SOASs? :p It was soooo great to meet you guys. Looking forward to another cruise together.

Sorry that your B2B was not what was planned.

Like you we have the same B2B planned for March 27 and April 4, 2011

Can you tell me about the end of 1st check in for 2nd went and any other info that maybe helpful. We have same cabin both legs

Thanks in advance

hmm and to think i just spent $1,000 air fare and $1200 for a few nights in La Romana (Dreams & Dominicus resorts) maybe i should cancel:rolleyes:

La Romana's Bayahive Beach is beautiful, resort passes are great. Altos de Chavon is a quaint little town with shops, an Ambar museum & cobble stone streets...nice way to spend an afternoon, the view from there is amazing.

If you are not a beach bum, there is not much to do because of the time constraints but if there is time, you can take a boat to Catalina Island which is beautiful also. Like I said, If not a beach person, not much to do but its a very friendly and beautiful place, remember where the ship docks is not a good representation of any port, no matter where u go!

Looking forward to this itinerary in March and the first time on the Miracle. Carnival Pride & Explorer of the Seas so far the fav ships:)

hmm and to think i just spent $1,000 air fare and $1200 for a few nights in La Romana (Dreams & Dominicus resorts) maybe i should cancel:rolleyes:

Based on what I found while trying to research the Dominican Republic it seems like a really nice place to go for a resort vacation. For a cruise ship passenger, especially one trying to book an independent excursion, it is an extremely frustrating port.

I can't even find out how much it costs for a cruise ship passenger to get into Altos de Chavon on the shuttle from the port!

ok well i just called Altos de Chavon and they were closed but I will get as much information as I can this week for you. its a nice place to visit for the afternoon, like I said the views are amazing, if you google Altos de Chavon, you will find amazing pictures. I personally wouldn't pay $25 to get in, specially when its a group or families with children. The last time I went in 1996, it was free. I just came back from Punta Cana & going on a land trip to Bayahive before cruising there, I love the beaches in Dominican Republic, its people, its food & music:D

As far as a port stop, never done it but I will be horseback riding when I go in March on a cruise and stops in La Romana or Isla Catalina.....

I will call again in the next few days & get back to you.

I will call again in the next few days & get back to you.

I would sure appreciate any information you can find out! This is the first port where I have considered just staying on the ship! I'm hoping Altos de Chavon works out, but I won't pay $25/pp to go there either.

OH i just looked at ur signature and noticed you're leaving soon, i will do the best i can to get it this week. I just emailed my friend who works in the resort in the area for more info. Well i dont usually care of what the fees are when I want to get to visit or see a place for the first time, I buy day passes to Sandals & high end hotels in different ports, some people think its a waste but HEY i feel like I spent a "real vacation" day instead of haggling for chairs etc But I would not pay for what should be free, this was a park open to the public and now with ships in port and the "bored" guests at Casa de Campo they decided to get the $$. Some of the info i received said that they have cabs that drive you up to Altos de Chavon for a price & then you also have to pay entrance fees:eek:

And you dont even get a rum punch!!! It is nice but not @ a high price, you will only be there 2 hours tops!

Hi Gargoyle999...this is the information i received today from the Dominican Republic...

The have FREE tours for Casa de Campo Hotel that includes Altos de Chavon, they have to arranged through The Hotel via email prior to visit.

Search "Casa de Campo" dominican republic to see this awsome resort with 14 pools, 9 restaurants etc. Last time I stayed there the beach didn't impress me but the rest of the resort was unbelievable & the golf course is a sight to see:)

I will get some more information on this free tour throuh the hotel including phone #'s for you.

The tours that are available to Altos de Chavon that are not through the Hotel are $25 pp:eek:

Will keep u posted.

Hi Gargoyle999...this is the information i received today from the Dominican Republic...

The have FREE tours for Casa de Campo Hotel that includes Altos de Chavon, they have to arranged through The Hotel via email prior to visit.

Thank you for the help! I would appreciate any more info you can find out about the tour! :)

Search "Casa de Campo" dominican republic to see this awsome resort with 14 pools, 9 restaurants etc. Last time I stayed there the beach didn't impress me but the rest of the resort was unbelievable & the golf course is a sight to see:)

I will get some more information on this free tour throuh the hotel including phone #'s for you.

The tours that are available to Altos de Chavon that are not through the Hotel are $25 pp:eek:

Will keep u posted.

We cannot go around Altos de Chavon by ourselves? We have to take a tour?

We cannot go around Altos de Chavon by ourselves? We have to take a tour?

Just got back from the Nov. 3-11th Miracle cruise. We were not originally supposed to stop in La Romana, but our itinerary got reversed and we did not have tenders to take us to Catalina Island so we stopped there.

My g/f and i were not sure what to do on the island. When you walk up the hill off the boat, they had a $7 pp round trip that took us to Altos de Chavon and we could walk and stay as long as we wanted, no tour needed. They had a return trip leave every 30 mins until the ship took off.

We knew absolutely nothing about what we were looking at or what the little "town" was about. Im sure like most people with us, we actually thought it was REALLY old. Come to find out when we got home...that wasnt the case. We find it quite amusing now haha.

Archived