UK Airlines say they should stop bowing to US security demands

scottbee

I suspect the poster meant that they already didn't fly to and from the US because of what they view as excessive security checks, and now they've been subject to the same on a flight from Canada. The juxtaposition of the two sentences and the wording is making it look like they're saying Vancouver is in the US.

Thank you. Exactly!

I am well aware that Vancouver is not part of the US. I chose to fly home from Vancouver, Canada, because it wasn't the US.

This was a comment attached to the article, which I read in full -

"Security checks shouldn't be scrapped, but we shouldn't upset travellers with excessive checks”.

Thank you. Exactly!

I am well aware that Vancouver is not part of the US. I chose to fly home from Vancouver, Canada, because it wasn't the US.

This was a comment attached to the article, which I read in full -

"Security checks shouldn't be scrapped, but we shouldn't upset travellers with excessive checks”.

I will repeat what I wrote on another board. You must not fly much outside of Australia because security checks are as imposing, or even more so, in countries outside the US. I'm guessing you've never flown out of China, Vietnam, India, Saudi, Israel, Dubai UAE, Qatar, Cambodia, Indonesia, and various countries in Africa. I've been hand scanned in many countries that were more invasive than anything in the US or Canada. I suggest not flying anywhere, especially in light of today's incidents in various countries, including the UK. Security checks are going to be even tougher in the world we now live.

I didn't realise Vancouver was now part of the US...:confused:

In terms of Immigration and Customs it could well be.

Vancouver has a US port of entry inside the airport, and it is a very significant border crossing -- handling times as many flights into the USA as Seattle does.

This is done because most US airports have so few international gates (example - Las Vegas, in the top 10 in the world for traffic has only 4 international gates). So the USA have insisted that major Canadian airports have US Customs and Immigration pre-clearance, and a separated departure wing where you are pre-cleared into the USA (20ish gates in the case of YVR)

There are about 15 Canadian airports with flights to the USA but hundreds of US airports without Immigration / Customs facilities. Far cheaper for the US Government to build and staff 15 facilities in Canada. As an added bonus, any US airport can receive flights from Canadian airports with pre-clearance.

There are about 15 Canadian airports with flights to the USA but hundreds of US airports without Immigration / Customs facilities. Far cheaper for the US Government to build and staff 15 facilities in Canada. As an added bonus, any US airport can receive flights from Canadian airports with pre-clearance.

Actually flights from a pre-clearance facility (YHZ,YUL,YOW,YYZ,YWG,YEG.YYC & YVR) still must land at an AOE (Airport of Entry). AS found that out the hard way about 10 years ago when they started a YVR-SNA flight, only to find out that SNA wasn't a designated AOE, and had to divert the 1st (and only) flight to LAX. Pre-clearance is just that, PRE; and US DHS have the option of still doing a full arrival scan.

Archived