Just back

Travel Lover

Just got back from the Baths in Virgin Gorda. I STRONGLY suggest to anyone who has not been there yet to go !!!!!!!!!! IT was SO BEAUTIFUL.... I went with my husband and two daughters 6 and 10. We all loved it. I wish we could have stayed longer. We will for sure try to go back. It was just amazing !!!

Well to be honest I thought so. It is for sure a long bath and some tight squeezed. Not too bad but there were some areas to climb up too. We had our kids, bags, towels, and cameras so it was kinda hard for us to do it all and not get anything wet. I am talking about walking thru the baths to the Devils Bay or whatever that beach is called which is the prettiest beach of the two. Just to get down to the first beach is not a bad walk at all.

Anyway, after we went thru the Baths to the other beach it was so worth it. SO PRETTY. So we were told there is another bath up to the top not thru the baths so we thought we would do that instead. Well it was VERY LONG, VERY HOT and straight up in places. So it was just as hard just did not have to climb anything or squeeze anywhere or duck down it was all path.

There was a lady that did it all with her baby in a pouch on her so that will put it in a little more perspective.

IT WAS BEAUTIFUL though. I will try to post a picture if I can.

We've taken Speedy ferry over twice in the past on our own, it was great because we got to spend 4 or more hours there. Speedy has a site and has the times of departure from Tortola and return times from Virgin Gorda. The cab was included in the RT fare the last time we took it 2 years ago. You just have to know which day of the week you'll there. RT for adults is 30.00pp and I think 5 to get into the Baths. There is a walk down to the Baths and you'll have to walk back up. There are I believe lockers at the bottom so you'll be able to explore without all your stuff. we like to have lunch at the restauant called Top of the Baths and what a breath taking view. Amazing excursion, more so if done on own as more time to enjoy.

We've taken Speedy ferry over twice in the past on our own, it was great because we got to spend 4 or more hours there. Speedy has a site and has the times of departure from Tortola and return times from Virgin Gorda. The cab was included in the RT fare the last time we took it 2 years ago. You just have to know which day of the week you'll there. RT for adults is 30.00pp and I think 5 to get into the Baths. There is a walk down to the Baths and you'll have to walk back up. There are I believe lockers at the bottom so you'll be able to explore without all your stuff. we like to have lunch at the restauant called Top of the Baths and what a breath taking view. Amazing excursion, more so if done on own as more time to enjoy.

Thank you for the detailed information!

Is there a way to enjoy the beauty of the Baths....without going thru the trail?

I do not think my 75 year old mother will be able to do this, and I have back problems.:confused:

If you book a tour (we are using Tortola Charters) then you would come to the Baths from the water....meaning just off the boat then you can snorkel from the back of the boat and swim to the shore.......

It is one of the most beautiful places in the world and I am sure your mother would enjoy it

If we book with tortola charters and they drop us off in the water just off shore . What do we do with our towels and wallets etc.

Wouldn't you leave them on the boat; you could use a water wallet to have some money if you were going to go to the top restaurant

• 2 weeks later...
If you book a tour (we are using Tortola Charters) then you would come to the Baths from the water....meaning just off the boat then you can snorkel from the back of the boat and swim to the shore.......

It is one of the most beautiful places in the world and I am sure your mother would enjoy it

Thank you so much for the reply....just what I was wondering. We are going to try to do this, however, my Mother is scared of water and will not get much above her ankles!!! Not sure about leaving her and going on the tour....I really want to see this area:confused:

Thank you so much for your reply. Just the info I was looking for. We really want to take this tour, however my Mom is afraid of water and doesn't get much over her ankles!!! Not so sure about leaving her:confused:

Do you mean leaving her on the cruise ship or leaving her on the excursion boat? On nearly all excursions like this there is at least one person who stays on the boat for one reason or another with crew members. I myself have done it at least once. I suggest you just email the company and ask them what their procedure for this is.

Thank you so much for your reply. Just the info I was looking for. We really want to take this tour, however my Mom is afraid of water and doesn't get much over her ankles!!! Not so sure about leaving her:confused:

Just a thought - You could take her with you and she could still enjoy the beauty and then not get off of the boat. After everyone else is in the water she can sit off of the back of the boat and put her feet in. A few years back we took my mom on an excursion and she stayed on the boat and watched us snorkel; she said she enjoyed it. Just a thought

Here is another alternative that I don't hear many people talk about. The trail through the Baths is supposed to be one way, although many people going the wrong way didn't seem to know or care. Once you reach Devil's Bay, there is a very nice, mostly flat trail leading back up to the parking lot that is the "intended" exit route. Almost no one uses it. It would be much easier access as long as someone could stand a half-mile walk through the surprisingly desert-like terrain of Virgin Gorda and it leaves you right at Devil's Bay, which is a glorious little cove. If you want to be a little sly, or just act ignorant, when you leave the taxi just head uphill to the top of the parking lot to find the trail and you won't be charged for entry. Only folks using the main path next to the restaurant get charged an entry fee. The Baths are definitely are not worth missing, and anyone who can take a half-mile walk doesn't need to miss it!

On another aside, there is a spur trail about two-thirds of the way down from the parking lot leading to another beach that is usually empty!!! Yes, it is much rockier and more exposed (facing north-east), but for me the idea of being alone on a beach in the Caribbean is better than it not being the greatest beach!

Wouldn't you leave them on the boat; you could use a water wallet to have some money if you were going to go to the top restaurant

I actually had the same question. If we leave towels on the boat, wouldn't they be needed on the beach as well as on the excursion boat? Just wondering.

I have a waterproof wallet for small valuables, but I can't quite figure out the logistics of towels, and small bag for sunscreen, hats. I am looking at the company that requires participants to swim about 300 yards onto the beach.

Can you provide some insight?

Thanks.

I seem to recall that their are some lockers you can rent near the restrooms if you need to store your belongings. We just bought a waterproof box you wear around your neck & took only the essentials (money, ID, credit card) with us. The Baths are very unique and definitely worth spending the day there. They have shaded picnic tables as well if you need a break from the sun. The restrooms/showers were surprisingly clean which says a lot when you are at a beach. Go and enjoy --Despite the crowds, it is beautiful there.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you swim in the water around the boulders and not have to climb on them? I would like to swim thru the grottos and caves but dont want to climb over the rocks or between the small passageways. Do you enter the Baths from the beach?

I have a question about the Baths also. We have 17 total in our group and we would all love to see the Baths, but some in our group are on the heavy (weight) side (including me) and we are worried about fitting through some of the tight spots in the rocks. My brother in law is 6"5" and about 300 lbs. Will he have a problem?

I have a question about the Baths also. We have 17 total in our group and we would all love to see the Baths, but some in our group are on the heavy (weight) side (including me) and we are worried about fitting through some of the tight spots in the rocks. My brother in law is 6"5" and about 300 lbs. Will he have a problem?

I'm going to be totally honest here. Your BIL may have a problem with the section where you go through the rocks. The very first entrance is quite small/narrow. I am fairly heavy, although not anywhere close to the size of your BIL, and I have to stoop and kind of turn sideways to get through that opening. I can do it, but I had a friend with me on my last trip who is quite large and she just couldn't bring herself to do it. She stayed at the beach while we went through the rocks; the beach is actually nice and there are some of the big rocks right there, so she enjoyed it. If your group really wants to see Devil's Bay (where you come out when you climb through the rocks) you can access it from the parking lot, just ask your taxi driver to show you the path. I'm assuming you are coming by land; if you are coming by water just have them drop you off at Devil's Bay.

I wouldn't give up on the Baths, just let everyone know up front that climbing through the rocks might not be for them. However, it is a beautiful and unique spot that can be enjoyed even without climbing through. If you are coming by land, you do need to be able to walk down to the beach and back up again. This is on an uneven path but it is not too bad if you just take your time.

Archived