Cartagena-distances

upandin

We will be in Cartagena (RCCL Jewel of the Seas) on 1-28-11. We are going to tour the old walled city but I was wondering how far the Fort and La Popa are away from here? Is it possible to take a taxi on our own to the Fort and La Poppa? Also, does anyone have a good site where I can get a map of this area? I haven't had much luck finding one. The tour person Jacinto e-mailed back and he can take us to all three. My e-mail to Lee Miles keeps bouncing back. I'll keep trying. Thank you.:)

Mercruiser,

Thanks for the link! Your blog is excellent and very helpful for someone (like me) that is currently planning our Panama Canal cruise aboard Celebrity Infinity in March.

Thanks for the great info.

Annette

Anette,

I'm glad this was of help. I'll be adding the remaining blog pages at the rate of about one per week. Many of our port calls are the same.

Early on, I was planning to take a organized tour in Cartagena. But after researching it, I decided to just take a taxi to the fort early in the AM (it opens at 8:00) and then walk to the walled city (or take a taxi if it's too hot).

Here is a discussion on the topic from our Roll Call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26631474&postcount=273

Bob

A Taxi to La Popa is expensive by Colombian Taxi standards. It is supposedly a dangerous road for them to be on and therefore the price is high for it. I've been to Cartagena a few times and it saddens me to say that I have never made it to La Popa due to the price. I think it might be cheaper to go with tour group and see the other sites too if you really want to go to La Popa. In January of this year an honest taxi driver told us it is about 50,000 pesos (about $26 USD) for the taxi to take you, wait for a few quick pictures and drive you back down. This was from the old city, not the port.

We will be in Cartagena (RCCL Jewel of the Seas) on 1-28-11. We are going to tour the old walled city but I was wondering how far the Fort and La Popa are away from here? Is it possible to take a taxi on our own to the Fort and La Poppa? Also, does anyone have a good site where I can get a map of this area? I haven't had much luck finding one. The tour person Jacinto e-mailed back and he can take us to all three. My e-mail to Lee Miles keeps bouncing back. I'll keep trying. Thank you.:)

I liked this site for the maps. You can access specific streets and points of interest or more general maps.

http://www.cartagenacaribe.com/en/ggeneral/mapas.htm

• 3 weeks later...
I have a write-up on my Blog that might answer part of your question. See:

http://mercruiser.wordpress.com/itinerary/cartagena/

The short answer is yes, you can walk to the fort from the walled city. But not La Popa. You will need to take a taxi to La Popa.

We are stopping at Cartagena in January. We have saved your very informative blog posting on our favorites. Thanks!

We are stopping at Cartagena in January. We have saved your very informative blog posting on our favorites. Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that the blog is helpful. I have been a bit surprised at the high level of interest in the Cartagena page. It gets about 6 times as many page views as any other page on our Panama Canal itinerary. My best explanation is that there are lots of cruise ship visitors to Cartagena, but comparatively little English language information available on the Internet.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a map (and lots of other information on Cartagena) at:

http://www.destinationcartagena.com/get_there.html?q=cartagena_map.html

Lee Miles address is <leland@misteremerald.com>

Even the Fortress, just outside the Old Walled City, is a cab ride away. La Popa definitely requires a cab. And going up there, paying the fee, seeing the view and the monastery, and coming back down will take about an hour.

Archived