AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

Just found a great reference to the Angkor complex-www.theangkorguide.com. You can download the entire guide (200+ pages), or a 2 page miniguide. It has photos, plans, descriptions, etc. of the monuments. Very comprehensive and informative.

Used the visa on arrival service, and got the approval letter very fast. Will report on how we do at Hanoi airport when we get back.

Leaving Sat., PM for the AMALotus. Doreen22-see you in Hanoi!

Hi EKML.

I am really excited, hard to sleep, we fly out Saturday too, only a few things left on the "to do" list.

See you soon!

PS ..my name is actually Susan...confusing I know.

Susan (aka as Doreen)

Edited by doreen22

Hi EKML.

I am really excited, hard to sleep, we fly out Saturday too, only a few things left on the "to do" list.

See you soon!

PS ..my name is actually Susan...confusing I know.

Susan (aka as Doreen)

Oops-actually leaving Sun., PM, arriving HAN late 11/15. Booked transfer w/Hantaxi-$20 for 4 to hotel.

Ed

What have you received in the way of cruise documents from AMA? Do you have hotel vouchers, etc?

Yes-got vouchers for hotels, ship, flight to Siem Reap. Also got a travel tips pamphlet, a detailed itinerary, and a couple of nice booklets about the Mekong River and Vietnam and Cambodia-w/maps. And also luggage tags. Got these about a month ago.

Will be taking along a copy of 2Fltravelers very thorough cruise report-much more info than the AMA itinerary!

We are at Tan Chou today, after passing through a VN Visa check on the river. AMA previously collected passports and handled this for passengers.

Visa issues caused problems during the trip for just a few of the 105 land/cruise passengers. The problems were: 1) A multiple VN Visa upon first entry or perhaps check at Hanoi airport departing for Siem Reap was marked "used" in error. This translated into a completed VN visit. This would cause a problem when entering VN from the Mekong River. So, you need to check when your passport is returned from a checkpoint and you are not leaving VN for the final time, that it is NOT marked "used." If so, you need to return to the security desk. 2) A single entry Visa was issued for VN instead of a multiple entry - even though the passenger recalled purchasing a multiple entry visa from CVS. 3) A looseleaf VN Visa somehow was not returned to the passenger after the security check in Hanoi, departing for Siem Reap. Thus, the passenger no longer had a VN Visa in possession.

All these issues can be resolved, but generally will cost the passport holder. #2 can be checked before you travel, #1 and #3 can be confirmed as you travel.

Bob

We are at Tan Chou today, after passing through a VN Visa check on the river. AMA previously collected passports and handled this for passengers.

Visa issues caused problems during the trip for just a few of the 105 land/cruise passengers. The problems were: 1) A multiple VN Visa upon first entry or perhaps check at Hanoi airport departing for Siem Reap was marked "used" in error. This translated into a completed VN visit. This would cause a problem when entering VN from the Mekong River. So, you need to check when your passport is returned from a checkpoint and you are not leaving VN for the final time, that it is NOT marked "used." If so, you need to return to the security desk. 2) A single entry Visa was issued for VN instead of a multiple entry - even though the passenger recalled purchasing a multiple entry visa from CVS. 3) A looseleaf VN Visa somehow was not returned to the passenger after the security check in Hanoi, departing for Siem Reap. Thus, the passenger no longer had a VN Visa in possession.

All these issues can be resolved, but generally will cost the passport holder. #2 can be checked before you travel, #1 and #3 can be confirmed as you travel.

Thanks for the heads up Bob... we should be good for 1 and 2 (our Visa is embedded in our passport) but we will defiinitely check for #1 which we would never have known to do.

Hope you are having a wonderful cruise!

Susan

Edited by doreen22

Thanks for the heads up Bob... we should be good for 1 and 2 (our Visa is embedded in our passport) but we will defiinitely check for #1 which we would never have known to do.

Hope you are having a wonderful cruise!

Susan

Tomorrow will be our last full day of cruising on the Mekong River. The day after tomorrow, we will arrive in Ho Chi Minh City for two full days of touring. The cruise portion has been great and fairly busy. Yesterday, we enjoyed having a full day of just relaxing on board after leaving Phnom Penh for Tan Chau.

Each of the river stops have been learning experiences. It is very clear that life is hard on the river and about 180 degrees from our daily experiences.

On the Amalotus, we have largely travelers from the US, UK and Australia. A few of us picked up a gastrointestinal bug which took about 24 hours to clear. While I have Azithromycin, I chose not to take it and popped a few Pepto Bismal tablets instead.

As suggested by other posts, bring lots of $1s and $5s. These come in handy, especially for Cambodia and village purchases.

All in all, this is a recommended trip. AMA was very organized throughout the tour.

Bob

Tomorrow will be our last full day of cruising on the Mekong River. The day after tomorrow, we will arrive in Ho Chi Minh City for two full days of touring. The cruise portion has been great and fairly busy. Yesterday, we enjoyed having a full day of just relaxing on board after leaving Phnom Penh for Tan Chau.

Each of the river stops have been learning experiences. It is very clear that life is hard on the river and about 180 degrees from our daily experiences.

On the Amalotus, we have largely travelers from the US, UK and Australia. A few of us picked up a gastrointestinal bug which took about 24 hours to clear. While I have Azithromycin, I chose not to take it and popped a few Pepto Bismal tablets instead.

As suggested by other posts, bring lots of $1s and $5s. These come in handy, especially for Cambodia and village purchases.

All in all, this is a recommended trip. AMA was very organized throughout the tour.

Bob

Bob: Thanks for the up to date info. It has been very helpful. Very good tips!

Any idea how/where you got the bug? Was it on the ship, or from some meals on land? Would be good to know where to be extra careful w/the food.

Ed

Hi Ed,

When we take vacations to exotic places, we always brush our teeth with bottled water and close our mouth in the shower. I always chew a pepto bismol tablet with each meal as well as taking a probiotic pill. When we were in Asia and Egypt we did so and didn't catch the bug which hit most of the other people. We are going to India in February and will do the same thing. I start taking the probiotics two weeks before going so the good bacteria will be working for me.

Sheila

Hi Ed,

When we take vacations to exotic places, we always brush our teeth with bottled water and close our mouth in the shower. I always chew a pepto bismol tablet with each meal as well as taking a probiotic pill. When we were in Asia and Egypt we did so and didn't catch the bug which hit most of the other people. We are going to India in February and will do the same thing. I start taking the probiotics two weeks before going so the good bacteria will be working for me.

Sheila

Thanks for the info, Sheila. We are careful about the water (I drink beer w/my meals instead of water-good excuse). Haven't thought of probiotics-any brand that you favor? Would yogurts do?

Ed

Hi Ed,

Yogurt just doesn't have enough pro-biotics in it. We went to our local Whole Foods and asked them which brand of pro-biotics. The one we picked doesn't have to be refrigerated. Beer sounds good to me. I need water for a medical condition so I always drink bottled water.

Have a great time. I haven't taken this river cruise, but have been to Vietnam and Cambodia. Awesome trip.

Sheila

We recently completed the September 13, 2011, 15-day AMA Waterways La Marguerite land and cruise package from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam. I had clients on this cruise, and they had asked if we would like to accompany them. Of course the answer was a resounding "Yes!"

Day 1 - We flew from LAX, arriving in Hanoi at 9:30 a.m. (after 17 hours in the air). I had previously obtained "Visa On Arrival" documents, and we breezed through the airport with our multiple-entry visas. A nice air conditioned van was awaiting us, and it whisked us away to the first of our 5-star hotels - the Sofitel Metropole. Service, amenities, and room decor were impeccable. We had previously arranged a private afternoon tour with Hanoi Kids - a group of college students who volunteer their services to show tourists around their city. They absolutely refuse compensation for their services, asking only that the tourist pay for any transportation charges or meals/snacks during the tour. Our guide was a grad student, and she offered us several choices that weren't included on AMA's tour the following day. We opted for the Viet Nam ethnological museum, which I highly recommend. It highlights the 50+ ethnic groups who live in Vietnam, with outdoor re-creations of their dwellings, and indoor displays of their many lifestyle needs. This was followed by coffee in a typical Hanoi coffee house (think Starbucks on a much more primitive scale). The entire cost for the day was less than $15 (300,000 Vietnamese Dong). Speaking of currency, ATM's are everywhere. We initially bought 2 million dong (about $100), which lasted us for the entire trip. Most establishments take Visa and MasterCard. That evening we ate in a large, bustling Vietnamese restaurant - great food and beer for around $20 for two of us.

Day 2 - AMA's morning tour took us to the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, one-pillar pagoda, and the Temple of Literature. Our guide was exceptionally fluent in English. There were around 30 people on the tour. The afternoon tour saw us riding in rickshaws through the intricate maze of the old quarter - an experience not to be forgotten. This was followed by a unique water puppet show in an indoor theater. Fascinating and most enjoyable! After this tour, our friend and I went on our own to the infamous "Hanoi Hilton", now a museum that displays the many years that this prison was used for both the French and then the American prisoners of war. Of course the propaganda emphasized how wonderfully our downed flight crew members were treated. On display were many of Senator John McCain's personal effects, including the flight suit he was wearing when he was shot down. Dinner was on our own, and we again found a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant at rock-bottom prices.

Day 3 - After breakfast in the hotel and hotel check-out, we boarded a bus for a 2-hour ride to Ha Long Bay. We boarded a beautiful junk (Asian sailing vessel), which was our home for the next 1 1/2 days. Sailing Ha Long Bay provided one of the most exotically beautiful experiences of our lives! It is truly an "8th wonder of the world". We explored a large cave in the afternoon - similar to what one would see in Carlsbad Caverns.

Day 4 - After more Ha Long Bay sailing, we disembarked the junk, rode a bus to the Hanoi airport, and boarded our 2-hour flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia. I'll interject here by saying that our cruise director, Vuong (aka "Rex") stayed with us from our arrival in Hanoi until our departure in Saigon. Vuong was, quite simply, one of the best and most organized cruise directors we've ever encountered! Upon arrival in Siem Reap we were transported to the Sofitel Angkor hotel - 5+ stars in every respect. A lavish buffet dinner was awaiting us, and it was followed by a performance of Cambodian dancers and musicians.

Day 5 - We spent the day visiting the major temples of the Angkor complex - Angkor Wat, Angkor Tom, Banyan, and several others. Plan on LOTS of walking and even more photos! EVERYWHERE is a photo op!! These ancient temples from the 11th and 12th centuries feature engineering feats that seem incomprehensible, considering the lack of technological factors that seem so commonplace today.

Day 6 - After breakfast we visited another gorgeous temple. We then visited an orphanage that is sponsored by AMA Waterways. We're talking primitive here - no electricity, phones, indoor plumbing, etc. AMA has, however, installed solar panels which power the ceiling fans in the classroom. My wife and several others had carried large packages of school supplies from the States, and we gave these to the teachers for distribution. In the afternoon we visited the famous temple that was featured in the movie "Tomb Raiders", with huge tree roots that entwine the ruins. Dinner was on our own, so we rode one of the infamous "Tuk Tuk's" to a recommended restaurant and dined on some great Cambodian cuisine. Cost for a 10-minute ride - USD $2.00! By the way, the major currency used in Cambodia is the US Dollar - it's used everywhere, rather than the Cambodian riel. Siem Reap has a wonderful, bustling, hectic central market, where bargaining is a true art form. If the price starts at $15, offer $5, and go from there!

Day 7 - Three of us took a tuk-tuk into the old town and participated in a one-on-one cooking class. This 2 1/2 hour class was in the same restaurant where we had dined the evening before. We prepared numerous Cambodian dishes from scratch and then dined on our creations. Cost? $20 per person, which included the lessons, lunch, and cooking school t-shirt! We departed Siem Reap by bus at noon and drove 45 minutes to our beautiful La Marguerite, docked at the southern end of Tonle Sap lake (the largest lake in Asia). NOTE: Those who only took the 7-day river portion of this trip joined us at this point. These were about 50% of the passengers. The ship is beautiful and the rooms large and very well appointed. NOTE: -- internet on the ship is VERY spotty and is only reliable when tied up near a major city on the Mekong (such as Phnom Penh). Food on board was varied and deliciously prepared - except for desserts, which left a lot to be desired. Vietnamese red and white wines, spirits, and beer are complementary throughout the day; call brands are charged accordingly. Amazing, from a wine snob such as me, that after a couple of days I learned to actually enjoy the Vietnamese wine! And Vietnamese gin and tonic was quite good as well. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style with both western and Asian choices, many cooked to order. Dinner was from a set menu and was also delicious. Service was wonderful. We sailed south to join the Mekong, and we moored overnight at Kampong Chhnang (no, that's not a typo).

Days 8 - 10. We sailed the Mekong River and visited several villages along the way to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. These visits included fish farms, floating markets, small villages, temples, and monasteries. The Cambodian people are EXTREMELY friendly, and everywhere we went, the children would wave, smile, and shout, "hello"!

Day 10 - 11. We visited many of Phnom Penh's highlights - the presidential palace, silver pagoda, and many others. But the most chilling and memorable visits of our entire trip were to the infamous killing fields, followed by S21 - one of the most brutal torture prisons in history. Suffice it to say that between 1975 and 1979, the brutal dictator Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge troops managed to kill 2 million of Cambodia's 7 million population. Who did they kill? Anyone with any type of education at all, including their families. This left Cambodia devoid of any sort of infrastructure, and as our guide (who lost his family in the killings) told us, Cambodia literally started at square zero in 1979! This experience will be burned forever in my memory. Other horrors of Cambodia center around the millions of land mines that were distributed by the Khmer Rouge. Everywhere one looks, one can see men, women and children of all ages with missing limbs, resulting from these instruments of maiming.

That evening several of us elected to dine on our own, so we boarded tuk-tuks and ate in a famous "hot pot" restaurant. On Day 11 we departed Phnom Penh and crossed the Mekong "border" into Vietnam (with a 3-hour delay while Vietnamese border officials made sure our passports, visas, and documents were in order). That evening we moored in Tan Chau.

Day 12 - 13. Cruising down the Mekong Delta, we visited several villages, exploring fish farms, handicraft shops (mats, candy, etc), temples, and floating markets. One of the most interesting visits was to Xeo Quyt, a thriving Viet Cong base during the war. All of the bunkers, meeting rooms, headquarters huts, and trails have been maintained, and one can easily envision the horrendous conditions that American troops were faced with when attempting to ferret out the "enemy".

Day 14. Our wonderful seven days on the La Marguerite came to an end. We disembarked about 60 miles from Saigon, boarded a bus, and were treated to a tour of an ancient Chinese temple, followed by a lacquer ware factory (great place for purchasing final quality souvenirs). We toured the Presidential Palace (aka Reunification Palace), Notre Dame Cathedral, and the French architectural gem post office. We were then taken to a fabulous Vietnamese restaurant (Indochine) for lunch, followed by check-in at the Sofitel hotel. Although quite nice, I would rate this hotel more in the 4-star category (compared with the Sofitels in Hanoi and Siem Reap). Unless you have recently won the lottery, I wouldn't suggest eating dinner in the hotel's buffet dining room, since it costs $44 per person. Compared with all of our other dining experiences in southeast Asia, this seemed exorbitant! We opted instead to walk two blocks to a great pho restaurant (Pho 24), where Carol and I enjoyed fresh spring rolls, large bowls of pho and a beer apiece - total cost $11 including tip!

Day 15. Breakfast was included at the hotel, but the day's exploring was on our own. AMA offers a tour to the Cu Chi tunnels, used by the Viet Cong, but we passed. We instead visited the War Museum, which I HIGHLY recommend. We spent at least 3 hours there, and it was incredibly interesting. The many rooms focus on both the French occupation and the American war. The most chilling of all was the room dedicated to the effects of Agent Orange - on both the Vietnamese and our own American forces. Ugly!! We also visited the central market, where we purchased many last-minute souvenirs. NOTE: Many items in Siem Reap's central market, such as silver jewelry, are NOT sold in Saigon's market. Prices on other items are comparable between the two markets. So I would recommend buying what you like in Siem Reap, without thinking that maybe it will be cheaper in Saigon.

Day 16. Depart for home.

In summary, this trip rates among the highlights of all trips we have ever taken. Passengers were about 60% American, 25% Canadian, 10% Australian, and 5% British and Russian. We didn't hear one "whine" during the entire adventure! Weather in southeast Asia is hot and hotter, with very high humidity. There are no laundry facilities aboard the ship, but laundry service is available. Smoking is strictly limited to the sun deck, so those who enjoy a smoke-free environment will be pleased. AMA just launched its brand new, slightly larger AMA Lotus, which will sail the identical itinerary. AMA is to be commended for having everything so well organized, and for providing a gorgeous boat, first class land accommodations, and experienced, friendly English-speaking tour guides.

Hi Ed,

Yogurt just doesn't have enough pro-biotics in it. We went to our local Whole Foods and asked them which brand of pro-biotics. The one we picked doesn't have to be refrigerated. Beer sounds good to me. I need water for a medical condition so I always drink bottled water.

Have a great time. I haven't taken this river cruise, but have been to Vietnam and Cambodia. Awesome trip.

Sheila

Thanks, Sheila. We're taking off tonight. Will report on our trip when we get back. And thanks to the many other posters who provided so much helpful info!

Ed

We recently completed the September 13, 2011, 15-day AMA Waterways La Marguerite land and cruise package from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam.

Mike, thank you! for the detailed review. This thread has become quite the master thread for all things AMA Vietnam/Cambodia.

We are leaving in just a few weeks -- first for a few days in China, then onward to Hanoi where we will join the group on Dec. 20.

You're welcome, "Shorex". I just hope that the negative experiences some have encountered with AMA's Volga River itinerary don't sour them on the outstanding job that they do on their other venues. I've sailed several AMA Europe itineraries with 100% positive results, and this Vietnam/Cambodia trip was truly icing on the cake. I've also had occasion to work closely with AMA's senior management on very special requests of some of my clients, and they have always bent over backwards to accommodate these requests.

Really appreciate your review, thoughts, info. We also leave in a few weeks for Dec 20 trip. It sounds like AMA is doing a terrific job on this itinerary. We have also been with AMA before (Budapest to Prague) which was a model of organization and on that trip they announced this new itinerary to SE Asia. The info on this thread has been terrific and you and 2FLTravelers are wonderful!

Sylvia

Hi Mike,

Great review. Did you also submit it to the "Member Reviews" section so future travelers to that part of the World could read it? Just want you to know that AMA never did contact any of us re our comments on their "comment cards" re our Volga River Cruise in September.

Hello to Carol.

Sheila

Thanks, Sheila. I always make sure my clients know up front, prior to accepting their deposit, the good and sometimes bad of any cruise experience, so that there are no surprises. Those who have recently sailed AMA in Russia have come back with positive comments, having been forewarned and forearmed on what to expect.

Hi again Mike,

Were these clients of yours that came back with positive comments re AMA's Russian cruise or have you been hearing the hype from AMA's customer service? We returned on September 19th and there were two more sailings before the ship went into drydock to fix the diesel smells, the broken A/C and the SEWERAGE problems. If the ship had been completely remodeled as the President of the line said and was the most luxurious ship on the Volga, why did it have to go into drydock to fix the problems? You know me. I'm not a complainer. When passengers have to go search for toilet paper and are paying $500 PER day PER person for a cabin (not a suite), and are promised a luxurious cruise, we were disappointed. Just want to warn you that most of the Americans on our cruise marked the critique cards that we would NEVER book AMA again. So, where are these positive comments coming from? The Australians aboard received all kind of perks and they did NOT pay what we Americans did.

Sheila

Bob: Thanks for the up to date info. It has been very helpful. Very good tips!

Any idea how/where you got the bug? Was it on the ship, or from some meals on land? Would be good to know where to be extra careful w/the food.

Ed

It's not clear where the bug was picked up. The travelers I met and indicated the issue were pretty careful as well as myself. If there is a good thing, most recovered within 24 to 36 hours with some over the counter product assistance. I know this didn't hit everyone. My wife was fine during the trip (and may have taken more food risks) - but did pick up a cold (lots of moving between hot/humid and AC temperatures).

I met someone who took pro-biotics and was fine during the trip. A friend on the trip with us took daily Pepto Bismal tablets and did not have any bug reports. Of those affected, I don't know if they were on any preventive practices.

Bob

Hi again Mike,

Were these clients of yours that came back with positive comments re AMA's Russian cruise or have you been hearing the hype from AMA's customer service? We returned on September 19th and there were two more sailings before the ship went into drydock to fix the diesel smells, the broken A/C and the SEWERAGE problems. If the ship had been completely remodeled as the President of the line said and was the most luxurious ship on the Volga, why did it have to go into drydock to fix the problems? You know me. I'm not a complainer. When passengers have to go search for toilet paper and are paying $500 PER day PER person for a cabin (not a suite), and are promised a luxurious cruise, we were disappointed. Just want to warn you that most of the Americans on our cruise marked the critique cards that we would NEVER book AMA again. So, where are these positive comments coming from? The Australians aboard received all kind of perks and they did NOT pay what we Americans did.

Sheila

Definitely not "AMA Hype", Sheila - actual feedback. The boat was, in fact, taken down to the hull and completely rebuilt, but that doesn't guaranty that everything will work properly. I remember when Avalon launched its brand new Scenery a couple of years ago. I had clients on the South of France itinerary, and they (and their fellow passengers) complained bitterly about diesel fumes as well. I'm really sorry to hear that some passengers said they would never book another AMA cruise, since my experience confirms that they still do the best job on many of the world's river itineraries (ref my recent review of AMA's La Marguerite Mekong River experience). While in Phnom Penh, we met and compared notes with a well-known competing cruise line's passengers, and for a very comparable price, AMA's offering came out way on top (ship, food, shore excursions, hotels). We had about 20 Aussies (ATP cruises, AMA's partner) on board our sailing. The Aussies think we Yanks are nuts with our tipping, and their tips are included (as they are in most Australian restaurants, hotels, taxis, etc). However, their Mekong River cruise bottom line pricing was quite comparable to ours. With so few passengers, inclusive tours, unlimited inclusive alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, 5-star hotels, first-class ground transportation, etc), the per diem cost of a river cruise is necessarily higher than that on a 1000+ passenger ship in order for the river cruise line to remain in business.

Hi Mike,

I know about the differences in prices between ocean cruises and river cruises. We did NOT have any 5 star hotels on our cruise. It was ALL on the river boat. But, it doesn't matter to me any more. I just booked my second European river boat trip with Tauck who has everything included except airfare. Now, that was luxury!! All AMA had to do was apologize to its customers for our inconveniences. They did give a FULL refund to the first two river boat trips on the Katarina. If the reviews had come out before I gave the final payment, we would have cancelled. We believed all the hype from AMA and it was ALL hype for their Russian cruises.

Happy cruising! If you decide to try the Katarina, please let me know after you return. You have my email address.

Sheila

Mike, I am going to pop in here for a moment. I don't normally post but I would like to ask you a few questions. We were on the Sept 8th sailing of the Amakaterina with Sheila. What she is saying is correct. My husband and I sat at the Captain's Table for the Farewell Dinner, next to Marina and the Captain. Part of the discussion was that AMA is putting the Amakaterina into dry dock at the end of the last cruise (two after ours). They will address the terrible problems with the air conditioning, heating system and air returns, correct the sewerage and diesel smells which were bad and, finally, redecorate the rooms to make them brighter. She said nothing about replacing the cook or American chef. The food was poor and unimaginative. The Russian students who stayed with us left to return to college at the end of the cruise. I find it hard to believe that these problems were fixed after we left. I certainly would like to know how or why the next cruises were different from our experience. We did have a good time but it wasn't what was promised. By the way this was our third AMA cruise and until this cruise, I would agree with you assessment of the company. Can you help me understand?