AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

If you go the Visa-on-Arrival at Hanoi/Siem Reap approach, do you still need empty pages in your passport for the visa(s)? Mine is pretty full, with no completely empty pages left. I can get more pages added for $80, but the passport will expire about 9 months after I'd need those pages, so I'm thinking it might be more cost effective just to renew my passport early, at the $140 or whatever its is and be good for 10 years. Thoughts?

The other consideration is that I have the paid entry into Chile, at then $100, but it's good for the life of the passport. If I replace my passport early, I'll lose that, but I'm thinking I probably won't get back to Chile between now and Dec 2013... sure as fate, an Antarctic/Cape Horn cruise will come up as soon as I commit, of course, but doubtful, still recovering from the cost of two AmaWaterways trips.

Just checked my passport -the visas for both are full-page "stickers", so you definitely need either new pages or new passport. Both were obtained "on entry".

Thanks. I guess I'll go ahead and get a new passport while I've got plenty of time, then start breaking it in. I hate looking like a rooky with a virgin passport. :rolleyes: I did arrive somewhere in South America once with a brand new passport, and was asked to show my old passport, which fortunately I had with me.

Just to continue from my previous post --

Check out Canby publications for extensive information on Cambodia: maps, things to do, climate, quick facts, useful links, etc.

[Temple Park notes: inside the park cold beer is for sale for $3. When you are hot, tired, sweaty and thirsty, it's a bargain. It is the same beer that costs $1 outside the park. Demand curve in action! If you want the elephant ride, return to the park by tuk-tuk after the official tour.] The temples are amazing -- but this note will focus on what to do on your own time.

Old Town:

Get there from the hotel by tuk-tuk, $1 pp.

The Blue Pumpkin is a good first stop for a snack or some ice cream. It's a casual cafe with free wifi (for customers). The upstairs has AC and sofas. Everyone knows where it is.

Just to the left of Blue Pumpkin is one of many places to get a

. It's fun and it tickles. And it's only $3 for 1/2 hour and you get a free beer. What more could you want?

DrFishad.jpg

A few doors down check out the Mexican (!) restaurant Viva. Forget the tacos, they do serve Khmer food and, if you are so inclined, Johnnie Walker Blue for $10.

By now you will seriously need some laundry service. There's a laundry just around two corners from Viva where we had virtually all our clothes washed, ironed and folded for just a few dollars. Left clothes in the afternoon, picked up the next morning. Ask for directions. To confuse matters, there's a bar called the Laundry. Go past it to the working laundry.

Walk down Pub Street -- that's where it's happening. Whatever "it" is.

Our best restaurant/food on the entire trip was in Siem Reap: Nest Angkor Cafe-Bar. One of our party, a real foodie from San Francisco, said his duck was the best he had ever had. Coming from him, this was a HUGE endorsement. Check them out on Facebook.

There's much more to enjoy in Siem Reap other than temples and movie sets!

Several of us ate at Khmer Kitchen (around the corner from the Blue Pumpkin, and across from the Old Market). The food was inexpensive and excellent. In the evening, we took a tuk-tuk to Abacus, an upscale French restaurant. Make sure you make reservations first, though.

My wife and I will be on the March 6, 2012 15 day La Marguerite trip starting in Hanoi. I am intrigued by the Vietnamese Visa on Arrival program through such sites as http://www.vietnam-visa.com, as it is a much cheaper way of obtaining visas than using a US visa service. Has anyone used it? If so, what were your experiences?

Many thanks,

Lukegroup2

My wife and I will be on the March 6, 2012 15 day La Marguerite trip starting in Hanoi. I am intrigued by the Vietnamese Visa on Arrival program through such sites as www.vietnam-visa.com, as it is a much cheaper way of obtaining visas than using a US visa service. Has anyone used it? If so, what were your experiences?

Many thanks,

Lukegroup2

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You are in for a wonderful experience. I do recommend culling this thread (I know it is very long) for some gems of information to help you prepare. Also I recommend reading member reviews of La Marguerite and AmaLotus, particularly this one by 2FLtravelers, it contains lots of very useful information.

We used a similar service (myvietnamvisa.com) but the procedures are the same. Do read the FAQ's on the site carefully. Be sure to get multiple entry visas. Have the necessary documents/forms and cash ($50 pp) ready when you land in Hanoi. Tips for completing the "Application for Entry and Exit Visa" form: For Question 6, Type of Passport, enter "Ordinary"; For Question 10, Purpose of entry/exit, enter "Tourism". We breezed through the Hanoi airport in minutes.

After we booked this trip, two couples who are friends of ours decided to come along. Both couples are experienced world travelers and cruisers. When we got home, one friend said he thought that this would be a "B" trip, but it was actually an "A+". High praise from someone whose favorite ocean cruise line is Crystal.

Go with an open heart and mind, and you will have a amazing journey. And don't forget to pack some school supplies for the kids you will meet.

Several of us ate at Khmer Kitchen (around the corner from the Blue Pumpkin, and across from the Old Market). The food was inexpensive and excellent. In the evening, we took a tuk-tuk to Abacus, an upscale French restaurant. Make sure you make reservations first, though.

We could have spent a week in Siem Reap and still not have seen and done it all. There were some in our color group who didn't "bother" with venturing outside the hotel for meals or sightseeing. They missed some great experiences and wonderful restaurants. I'll put Abacus on the list for "next time in Siem Reap" and we hope there is a "next time."

Shorex:

Thanks for the plug about my review. I can't believe it has been nearly a year since our trip. I retread the review and it was great to reminisce once again. It's so nice that there is so much information now on CC about this great itinerary and AMA. There was nothing available when we were planning. That' s why I love CC!

Thanks for the info. We did apply for the VOA, and got a email letter from the Immigration Dept approving our application. Interestingly, the letter included multiple approvals for numerous applicants of various nationalities. Our names were No.'s 26 &27 on the list. I assumed the letters would be individualized.

A couple of other questions:

1) AMA wants $60 per person for R/T airport transfers (Hanoi airport to Sofitel Metropole, and Sofitel Saigon Plaza to airport). How does this compare to other options (taxis, private cars, etc.)?

2) What types of clothing are considered appropriate for the land excursions? Specifically, are shorts acceptable for men and/or women? We don't want to offend local sensibilities. Any special dress consideration for temples?

We are really looking forward to this trip!

You can easily get $30 transfer from HAN to downtown Hanoi on arrival. Taxi in SGN should also be about $20-30. So, you would save $60 per couple doing it on your own. Consider it a convenience fee for having them arrange things for you.

Temples have restrictions....pants below the knee, no bare shoulders, no tank tops. My suggestion would be convertible pants with zip-off legs. You can have both shorts and long pants in one pair. Less to have to pack. Put them on/off as needed.

Thanks for the info. We did apply for the VOA, and got a email letter from the Immigration Dept approving our application. Interestingly, the letter included multiple approvals for numerous applicants of various nationalities. Our names were No.'s 26 &27 on the list. I assumed the letters would be individualized.

A couple of other questions:

1) AMA wants $60 per person for R/T airport transfers (Hanoi airport to Sofitel Metropole, and Sofitel Saigon Plaza to airport). How does this compare to other options (taxis, private cars, etc.)?

2) What types of clothing are considered appropriate for the land excursions? Specifically, are shorts acceptable for men and/or women? We don't want to offend local sensibilities. Any special dress consideration for temples?

We are really looking forward to this trip!

We reserved Hanoi Airport Transfer, the driver was waiting with a sign, (along with about 50 other drivers/signs). The cost was $20.00 from the airport to our hotel (around the corner from the Sofitel). Worked out well, though the driver was very aggressive- I closed my eyes, mind you that was my first glimpse of Hanoi traffic! We took a cab in Saigon to the airpor from the Sofitel-I can't remember for sure how much it was- about $15.00.

Susan

Edited by doreen22

One thing to note about taxis in both Saigon and Hanoi....they do NOT have the same rates from company to company. There can be significant differences or minor ones, so a $15 ride with one may be a $20 with another. Or even greater difference.

Your hotel will be sure to get you a reasonable one....on the streets, you need to look at the rates posted on the door and inside the cab to be sure the meter won't be running "fast".

• 2 weeks later...

on own,,,have asked this before on other area,,,but was waiting for final quote from AMA,,,well,,,I got it,,and NOW $8100 for business round trip and was quoted $5400 when I called and booked it...I know it was just a quote,,,but a difference of $3000 is not manageable...tried on own on various sites,,and using travel agent who doesnt book air,,,(Know now about booking agents,not travel)_

Flyertalker gave IATA website and lowest I could find was $7800...so now faced with cancelling,,did buy that cancel for any reason insurance thru AMA.Now see they charge for that $700 if you use it .So will be out that.

REALLY want to take this trip,but economy air not option,,so any ideas??any lower websites to check,,??Just very upset and not sure what to do.Guess its cancel or pay??boo hoo.:confused:

on own,,,have asked this before on other area,,,but was waiting for final quote from AMA,,,well,,,I got it,,and NOW $8100 for business round trip and was quoted $5400 when I called and booked it...I know it was just a quote,,,but a difference of $3000 is not manageable...tried on own on various sites,,and using travel agent who doesnt book air,,,(Know now about booking agents,not travel)_

Flyertalker gave IATA website and lowest I could find was $7800...so now faced with cancelling,,did buy that cancel for any reason insurance thru AMA.Now see they charge for that $700 if you use it .So will be out that.

REALLY want to take this trip,but economy air not option,,so any ideas??any lower websites to check,,??Just very upset and not sure what to do.Guess its cancel or pay??boo hoo.:confused:

Do you have frequent flyer miles you can use, either for a free Award seat or an upgrade from a purchased coach fare? If short, most of the airlines let you buy miles. Of course check with the airline to see if any Award seats are still available for your trip dates before you buy a bunch. We've regularly topped up our accounts by buying miles... with AA, it's around $1212 (with tax and fee) for 40,000 miles (p/p), plus I often time it for when they have a bonus miles promotion. With the other miles in our accounts, this has boosted us up to having enough for Business class award travel. It's a chunk out of pocket, but wayyy cheaper than paying full Business class fare. With my DH's back problems, we can't do coach for any long haul, so we have to work the deals when we can.

Note that if you upgrade on miles, you'll likely have to pay a higher coach fare than the cheapest advertized fares to qualify, but it's still cheaper than buying the full Business fare.

found ones for $5400,,,on www.ch,,,,o.air...and I had just checked 3 wks ago and price dropped $2000,,,whew...

Yea,,,now I can go.

AMA quoted $8100,,,then called and sent another for $6302,,,but very long flights with long layovers,,,

Have now determined,,,wait till 11 mo minimum for airfares,,then book cruise,,so no surprises..;)

I hope that you have done your due diligence on your choice of airfare suppliers. If it is as suspected, you are dealing with a cut-rate consolidator with a reputation of catering to price-only customers, with a customer service to match. Caveat emptor - you are NOT buying regular tickets with all the protections that entails.

double check,,,I "assumed" it was ok...so now DID call ea.airline and reconfirm I m booked and make seat assignment..did get insurance thru AMA.Will just have to hope for the best.It was either that "cheap" fare or cancel trip,,

This ordeal has been a real "learning"experience.Thanks for all the help.;)

Hi all - after reading this thread and all the reviews, we've booked for next November 27 on AMALotus (anyone else?). It came down to that cruise or one over on La Marguerite, but the latter was chartered, so AMALotus it is.

Anyway, I have a few questions for those who have sailed on her. Since the first actual pictures of cabins are starting to roll in vs. the artist renderings based on La Marguerite, it appears that the window seats have been replaced with a chair and ottoman? Also, it looks like the lovely antique fans are gone, which saddens me because I had planned on training one right on my hot face! Also, a review mentioned that paper was not to be flushed down the toilets, but placed in the garbage can. Is this true? I've done it before in public toilets around Asia, so I know I can manage, but I think I had better not mention it to my husband.

Thanks to all who have taken time to post here and in the reviews section. It's been a tremendous help.

Hi all - after reading this thread and all the reviews, we've booked for next November 27 on AMALotus (anyone else?). It came down to that cruise or one over on La Marguerite, but the latter was chartered, so AMALotus it is.

Anyway, I have a few questions for those who have sailed on her. Since the first actual pictures of cabins are starting to roll in vs. the artist renderings based on La Marguerite, it appears that the window seats have been replaced with a chair and ottoman? Also, it looks like the lovely antique fans are gone, which saddens me because I had planned on training one right on my hot face! Also, a review mentioned that paper was not to be flushed down the toilets, but placed in the garbage can. Is this true? I've done it before in public toilets around Asia, so I know I can manage, but I think I had better not mention it to my husband.

Thanks to all who have taken time to post here and in the reviews section. It's been a tremendous help.

We sailed on the AMALotus last Nov., and didn't have any window seats-that might have been only in the suites, and we were on the main deck. Only had a small balcony, just enough for a chair, but we didn't sit out there anyway-too warm. Just used the balcony to take pictures. And no antique fans. But nothing about no paper down the toilets, and had no problem.

We sailed on the AMALotus last Nov., and didn't have any window seats-that might have been only in the suites, and we were on the main deck. Only had a small balcony, just enough for a chair, but we didn't sit out there anyway-too warm. Just used the balcony to take pictures. And no antique fans. But nothing about no paper down the toilets, and had no problem.

Hi Ed,

On our bathroom wall, there was a notice about no paper down the toilets- we ignored it and had no problems.

As you mentioned, we didn't use our balcony, but did enjoy sitting by the window with the little table and chair (s).

It sure was a great trip!

Susan

Hi Ed,

On our bathroom wall, there was a notice about no paper down the toilets- we ignored it and had no problems.

As you mentioned, we didn't use our balcony, but did enjoy sitting by the window with the little table and chair (s).

It sure was a great trip!

Susan

Hi Susan:

Checked w/my better half, and she doesn't recall seeing any sign either. (Maybe we just ignore signs? But did notice such signs in the Orient). Anyway, no problems. And I agree that it was a great trip, and will be sailing again w/AMA in Nov.

Ed

Thanks, guys, that's what I thought. No big deal, except I'll miss that fan! So you went in November also? How was the weather? I imagine Hanoi could be pretty chilly, but how hot was it elsewhere? I'm hoping to pack as little as possible, but with two different climates, it might be difficult.

Thanks, guys, that's what I thought. No big deal, except I'll miss that fan! So you went in November also? How was the weather? I imagine Hanoi could be pretty chilly, but how hot was it elsewhere? I'm hoping to pack as little as possible, but with two different climates, it might be difficult.

The weather was hot, even in Hanoi. I remember laughing at the Hanoi kids on the tour we booked with them as they were in jeans and we were in shorts and still hot. Keep in mind I am Canadian so it doesn't take much to feel hot to me! The only time it rained was in Saigon when we had a monsoon like storm one aftenoon- we were luckily under cover.

We had a stopover in Korea on the way back and that was the only time I wore a jacket.

Ed which cruise are you taking with AMA this year? We are doing a Mediterannean ocean cruise this September with our friends. I am going to miss all the free beer on AMA:D.

Susan

The weather was hot, even in Hanoi. I remember laughing at the Hanoi kids on the tour we booked with them as they were in jeans and we were in shorts and still hot. Keep in mind I am Canadian so it doesn't take much to feel hot to me! The only time it rained was in Saigon when we had a monsoon like storm one aftenoon- we were luckily under cover.

We had a stopover in Korea on the way back and that was the only time I wore a jacket.

Ed which cruise are you taking with AMA this year? We are doing a Mediterannean ocean cruise this September with our friends. I am going to miss all the free beer on AMA:D.

Susan

The weather will be hot and humid thruout the trip. You won't need any warm clothes-just bring a collapsible umbrella or a disposable poncho. We were caught in that heavy rain that Susan mentions, and wish we had remembered to carry our umbrella. And you will also enjoy the cold beer when you get back to the ship after your tours!

Susan-will be on the AMA Danube River cruise this Nov. Then I will have to bring some warm clothes!