AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

i looked at the visa service rec.by AMA and my TA,,,they wanted $199 for Vietnam multiple entry ...then went on Vietnam Consular website,,and found similar for $140...just sent for "looseleaf type" so not necessary to send in passport,,just copy and 2 photos.Very easy and cheaper with no worry about losing passport,etc. Did have to send money order and ship by Fedex or UPS,,,

For Cambodia,,,did call AMA to double check and they WILL get this visa for you at airport,,not necessary to get one first(as others have said) but wanted to check since the visa site had info there to get this one too,To me it was confusing.(since AMA offered the site in first place).:confused:

Thanks a million, AC! Do you have a link to the Vietnam Consular website?

Another question... I know the luggage restrictions are pretty tight, but we will be traveling in Japan for a week after the tour and one bag per person will be a little problematic. Anybody know if it's possible to pay extra for an extra suitcase?

Edited by mlk58

Our start date in Hanoi is December 4. (Arrive Dec 4, first actual activities start Dec 5.) We just firmed up all our air arrangements this past week, and made our final payment to AMA, so we are super excited!!

Our son is stationed with the Marines in Japan, and we figured out a way to do a quick 4-day visit with him on the way home, so we are SUPER DUPER excited about that, too!

Question: Are you getting the "visa on arrival" letters for Vietnam from one of the online services? If so, which one?

We used myvietnamvisadotcom-found it very easy. Was about $25, plus stamping fee of $50 on arrival. Can do it on line and no shipping charges. Check Trip Advisor site-it has a lot of discussion on the topic. We arrived very late at night-think it was about 11pm and the VOA counter was well staffed. Then had arranged for a shuttle service to take us to the hotel.

Thank you so much! We are arriving late at night, too! Did you arrange your shuttle in advance? What service did you use?

We used noibaitaxidotcom. About $20 for 4. They were waiting for us at the exit door. No payment required until arrival at hotel.

Oh good, more positive reviews of the visa-on-arrival. My only concern for us is that we're arriving late at night as well. Glad to hear the counter was well staffed. From everything I've read on Trip Advisor, Hanoi is a fine place to use the VOA counter - not so much in HCMC I gather.

EKML, THANK YOU!! I am a little anxious about actually getting there, and it's so great to have a referral to a shuttle service that somebody has actually used and can vouch for!

Now excuse me while I go do our online visas-on-arrival! Big fun!!!

i looked at the visa service rec.by AMA and my TA,,,they wanted $199 for Vietnam multiple entry ...then went on Vietnam Consular website,,and found similar for $140...just sent for "looseleaf type" so not necessary to send in passport,,just copy and 2 photos.Very easy and cheaper with no worry about losing passport,etc. Did have to send money order and ship by Fedex or UPS,,,

For Cambodia,,,did call AMA to double check and they WILL get this visa for you at airport,,not necessary to get one first(as others have said) but wanted to check since the visa site had info there to get this one too,To me it was confusing.(since AMA offered the site in first place).:confused:

AC, I think we're going to try the loose-leaf visa like you did. I know it's a bit more, but we'll have it in hand and won't have to stand in line late at night after 36 hours of travel, which I know will make us crazy. Anyway, I downloaded and printed the applications, etc., but can't find out exactly what the fee is? The instructions say "Fee for stamping visa can be checked at Consular Fee." I'll be damned if I can find "Consular Fee" on that website, even after putting exactly that in their search bar. Was the $140 you sent per person?

Thanks, AC. I once was denied boarding in the US for a flight to South Africa on a Sunday of a three day holiday weekend because I didn't have two empty pages next to each other in my passport. My husband went on without me as he had business, and we were planning to go on Safari after that. I ended up having to fly to a city with a passport office, make an appointment, and have extra pages put in my passport. I got it done and was only two days behind my husband which left plenty of time for our safari, but I was beside myself until I finally reboarded that same flight two days later. I don't ever want that to happen again.

So, I send an email to the address listed on the website and they'll get back to me?

Well I JUST booked this cruise last minute for October 2012. My TA send me info from AMA on the Visas but looks very expensive for rush service. I arrive in Vietnan on October 2. Can I use the visa on arrival service?

I really appreciate all of the great info on this thread.

but I rec d my visa in 9 days doing as I said in above posts...and that wasnt even with rush...sure you could do visa on arrival...not much time.

Please DO WRITE A REVIEW ON AMALOTUS,,when you return,,as we will be going Dec.24th.Have fun,,and good luck...:)

Will do Alexandra. We have the same first name:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, seems that there's a new review up of AMA Lotus. It would appear that they've taken the criticism to heart and now have a new Hotel Director, Restaurant Manager, and Head Chef. Here's hoping Lotus now achieves the same level of satisfaction that La Marguerite does!

I guess agreene is onboard now? I hope she reports back - I'm anxious to hear how it's going.

Edited by amyr

just read the new review and was going to post it here,,,for others,,,

Sounds like they ve made the needed improvements to AMAlotus,,,

Guess we ll find out SOON,,,,

Now if I can just feel better about the flights,,have 1 on AA before the one to Vietnam...just HOPE it goes,,,was changed already,,,whew...:confused:

I just want good a/c and decent water pressure - the kind that doesn't go from cold to scalding every 90 seconds. I can work with the rest :)

How much time do you have between flights? We are flying to SFO and then overnighting at the airport there. We had a struggle getting FF seats during the Thanksgiving weekend. We have four flights, and we didn't want to do it all in one go, although I guess we couldn't have anyway coming from FL.

We're flying Asiana too! When we first booked them, the airplane they use from SFO didn't have full lie-flat beds, just the recliner type. I've been in both, and it's quite a difference. Since then they've upgraded another airplane, and the SFO route has them daily. I noticed that they changed our seat assignments from A/B to D/G and was so excited! I originally tried to use miles for Cathay Pacific, but that proved impossible. We're coming back on ANA through IAD and they don't have lie-flat on their Tokyo/Washington service yet, but getting rest going over was our big concern. Don't really care coming home.

Apologies in advance if I should post this as a separate posting. Please let me know if I should.

Because of limited vacation time, I am considering the cruise only portion of this itinerary. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on doing the cruise only portion, and items to consider if doing so.

Thank you in advance!

I think a lot of folks do just the cruise, especially those who want more time at Angkor Wat since Siem Reap is where you'll join up with AMA. If you read all the reviews on both of the ships in the reviews section, you'll read a few from people who did cruise only trips. There may also be some advice in this thread, not sure. I think you'll need a single entry Vietnam visa since you cross the border on the ship, and you'll have to arrange for your own Cambodian visa.

Hello Everyone from the Amalotus!

We have 2 nights left on the cruise then on to Saigon. So far it has been fabulous! The ship is very nice and the food great. Really have no complaints aside from the wine served at meals (not good) AND I had a room on the bottom floor which is VERY noisy when the ship moves so I moved up a floor for $300.

The service has been outstanding as well..some of the best I have ever had. The staff really go out of their way to assist and be of good service. The guides have been excellent.

I highly recommend the land tours. If you do this tour, i suggest staying another night at the Metropole Hotel in Hanoi. Fantastic hotel and a good place just to hang out and relax for a day. Halong Bay is breathtaking. The Ankor sites are unbelievable. We were unable to get on the cruise at the Tonle Sap lake and had to take a 6 hour bus ride! That was not good but it was not AMAs fault.

There are 70 of us onboard and 58 doing the land tour. Most are from Canada but also US, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. Most are in their 60s.

DO expect to see what westerners consider dire poverty but the kids seem happy and fed. I have learned SO much. Vietnam and Cambodia are very different.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer.

Yay! Thanks for checking in. Did you have to drive to the ship because the water was too high, and just how high was it? You're at the end of the rainy season, right?

Also, how hot is it really? Do you know if fans are available on the ship?

The Tonle Sap Lake was too high but I am not sure how high as it is the end of the rainy season. I was told that the ship could not make it under some bridge. Instead of a 30 min ride to the lake from Seam Reap, we had to go 6 hours to Phonm Penh and sail up river and then back. It has been quite humid and one day in Phnom Penh was pretty unbearable. The ship does sell some fans but all the shops do too.

Another couple of tips

You will see 100s of adorable children in the villages and they will be so excited to see u. Bring LOTS of things to hand out...even stickers or crayons or anything! They are poor and very excited to get anything at all.

The shopping is VERY cheap so make sure u have room to bring things back. The scarves are beautiful but also lacquer bowls, mens ties, placemats, shirts, etc.