AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

So excited for you, Denmom, that you're finally making this trip after so long! If the meds you're talking about are for malaria, don't let them lull you into complacency. Dengue fever is much more prevalent, especially in Cambodia, so still take your bug spray and use it!

You're right, it will be hot, and you'll sweat like you never thought you could. They'll be handing out water everywhere you go, but that doesn't replace the electrolytes. Gatorade makes powder packets to add to the bottled water that are easy and lightweight to pack. If you're worried about some of the funky ingredients, Pedialyte also makes powder packets. Slip a few of either into your luggage in case you get a bit dizzy out in the sun, especially when slogging around the Angkor temples. That's where we really felt it.

do remember...IF you feel tired,not up to a climb,walk etc.ALWAYS have option of having extra guide do a less stressful excursion in many of the places.I fell and hurt my knee,so felt uncomfortable doing climbs,etc....so (along with a few Sr.Citizens)we did an easier version.JUST ASK...

We never had one mosquito bite(took spray but never used it),,maybe time of yr (Dec.).

Its Third World,BUT ,all the hotels and ship are 5Star.So don t worry.Can be adventuous during excursions and relax in luxury at nite.

One trip I d do again in a heartbeat.Have FUN>:)

DH and I are doing the full AmaLotus package in early February 2014 (rescheduled from this year), and now due to the limited frequent flyer seats, we're getting into Hanoi on Feb 1 ... the Ama package begins with hotel check-in on Feb 4. So for those of you who have done the full Ama pre-cruise package, what do you recommend we see and do in our extra days that won't duplicate what Ama offers. (We really don't need to see Ho Chi Minh's body or the "American War" museum, but were open to just about anything else.) I've seen recommendations for the "Hanoi Kids" guides in this or other threads, so that sounds like a possibility, but I'm sure we'd need to tell them what we want to see.

We also currently have to overnight at Hong Kong Airport on the way in.....anybody have guidance for an airport hotel and what, if any Chinese/HK visas we may need for the transit?

Thanks,

Steven

Steven,

We enjoyed HanoiKids for two half-day tours when we were in Hanoi, and they were marvelous. Book a tour with them for the first day and have them teach you how to cross the street and walk you through the Old Quarter. We also had them show us how to walk to the nearby Hoan Kiem Lake, and the next morning I got out about 6:45 a.m. (had already been up for an hour anyway) and walked down there on my own to enjoy the hundreds of people doing their morning exercises. Quite a sight, and a must-do.

On the other tour, the Kids took us to the West Lake District, which is lovely and not really walkable from the hotel. They later took us out for a Hotpot dinner at a restaurant back in the Old Quarter called Highway 4. We had hoped to get inside Ancient House on Ma May Street, but ran out of time.

Be aware, there are three different HanoiKids websites, and only one is the real one. Make sure you click on Hanoikids.org. The .org is the correct one, don't click on anything .com.

If you find that you have enough time that you might want to do a day tour out of town, think about Tam Coc. Just type that into Google images and see if it's someplace you'd like to see.

As for included stops with AMA, we went to the Hanoi Hilton, The Temple of Literature, The Ho Chi Minh complex (and filed past his body) One Pillar Pagoda, and took a spin around the Old Quarter in a cyclo. I think the American War Museum you're thinking about is the one in Saigon.

Edited by amyr

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not a Gatorade person nor water but I have a feeling I might become a water drinker. I hear it rains a lot but the humidity is so bad. I don't want to dwell on it as I still have some anxiety from it all and don't want to freak myself out. We leave on April 13th. Right now my mom is in the hospital. Been in for almost two weeks. Her ventilator was taken off yesterday but still has a feeding tube. She has not been alert since being there. Se did this before in December but this time she has pneumonia and staph infection. She has COPD and has gone downhill since diagnosed in Oct 2006. Very sad to watch. So hoping she recovers from this sooner rather than later. We have already had to cancel this trip once and I am really wanting to go. We have everything paid and ready to just go. Ad the excitement is off the roof! So praying this to will pass for my mom and she will be better very soon.

Anyway, I k ow someone ask about tours and we are booked with anns tours dot come. No spaces. We picked them because they make suggestions and we pick what we want to do. And add things we know we wanted to do. They also handle getting us from airport, hotels, some meals, entrances to places, junk, flight to Cambodia, tours in Cambodia, and get us to Sofitel hotel the morning we have to meet up with amawaterways. They also pick us up from the river cruise and have our hotel and tours after the cruise ending with our drop,off at the airport. I can't say how they are because we haven't done the trip yet. :). But sure sounds great and less to deal with.

and pray she recovers and you CAN take your trip.Just HOPE you got good insurance,just in case. Hang in there, if not THIS time,Next,right??:(

I really really really do not want to cancel again. She is still on a feeding tube today but has been a little alert. Squeezing hands, eyes following people, and starting some therapy. All a very very good sign. So just praying she continues. My mom is only 72 so she is fairly young. But 50 years of smoking doesn't do the body good. She quit smoking about 5 years before getting COPD. I will not give a speech against smoking but sure wish parents that smoke would realize that the diseases from smoking don't just hurt them, the kids and family suffer they it along with them. just saying. :)

Anyway, I leave AZ tomorrow heading back to Vegas then fly home from Vegas on Saturday. Thought I would have a good three weeks to get things done around the place but I will head to TN to spend some time with my mom. I have been out of town since she took this turn for the worst.

Alexandriacruiser, I should say that I have I surname this time. Yes this time. last July when I had to cancel due to my head injury - I had not purchased insurance. Luckily AMAwaterways was good enough to give me u til the end of April to do the cruise so since we didn't know how long it would take for me to get better, we picked the last possible week they gave us. And they made us pay for I surname which we were happy to do. We even upgraded to a balcony versus the window view. So I give kiddos to AMAwaterways for working with us. You can't ask for a company to do anything better than that.

Got back from the AZ trip but because of bad news. My mom passed away while I was in AZ and I had to get back. She was buried yesterday. Bittersweet as she is no longer suffering as she has for soloing but I already miss her.

She Would be excited to hear about my upcoming trip and I will miss telling her. But now I will concentrate on getting prepared for this trip. of course, I have to get back to Missouri to do that. :)

to hear about your mom. This might help to share a story similar.My Mom passed away about 3 wks prior to planned trip and was ADAMENT before that I go,no matter what.I did, and really "felt" her presence as I traveled.I m not a really religious person(more spiritual),but know what I felt and made me feel I d made the right decision.FOR ME.

So I say GO FOR IT.Know you ll have a great time.Light a candle in a temple for her(I did and got a string bracelet at Anghor Wat.):(

So sorry to hear that, Denmom. Losing a parent is terrible whether it's expected, unexpected, or even tinged with a little bit of relief for the end of suffering. Getting ready for the trip will help you focus a little bit away from your grief, and just think how happy your mom would be to see you enjoy the trip you've planned for so long.

...what do you recommend we see and do in our extra days that won't duplicate what Ama offers.

We also currently have to overnight at Hong Kong Airport on the way in.....anybody have guidance for an airport hotel and what, if any Chinese/HK visas we may need for the transit?

Thanks,

Steven

Expect some wonderful evenings dining out. No kidding -- top of my list is Green Tangerine. Also have a look at Verticale. Verticale offers cooking classes - how cool is that? And don't forget there's Bobby Chinn. Hotel concierge can make reservations, and they are just a cab ride away. Now I want to go back and do it all again!

Re Hong Kong -- no visa necessary for US tourists. It still has a status separate from mainland China. You can do a verification check for all visa requirements at cibtvisas.com

If all you need at the Hong Kong airport is a place to sleep, shower, and maybe get a massage, try The Travelers Lounge. I've used the one outside security -- really nice for the purpose. The rooms are for individuals, currently about $90 US for ten hours. And they serve a hot breakfast included.

Steven,

DH and I did this trip in Jan./Feb and we so enjoyed the Museum of Ethnology in Hanoi. It is a short taxi ride just out of town and we spent a1/2 day there. It is a museum that highlights all the different ethnic groups in Vietnam and has an open air museum with all the types of houses on display. You can go in them and they are quite interesting. Just a thought. . .

Has anyone been in April?? Just wondering what to start using and packing. I heard it is easy to pick up cheap zip off clothes over there but I don't want to take the chance. I bought one pair but with weight gain, I better try them own. Lol. I did buy three pair of those shoes everyone told me about. I really need to figure out a way to pay light but for 19 days. Would like only me suitcase and my carry on. :)

Just back from Tennessee and lo and behold in the mail is our Vietnam Visas. Still need to do the Cambodia Visas. hope it is easy. :). I leave in 14 days.

Oh well, time to unpack from my other trips. Just realized I was home for 2 1/2 days this entire month. Gosh.

no worries,just have passport photo and $20 to give to guide in Hanoi Hotel.

Now,just go and have fun.Let us know what you think later.:)

I have been working n getting the application for visa on arrival and most of the web sites that are coming up are or e visas. Can someone post again how I get it where you show up at the airport with passport photo and $ 20 and application in hand. We are not doing it with the AMA tour so we won't have anyone showing up to help us!

Finally printed and filled out Cambodia visa. I will be getting passport pictures made this week.

Can ANYONE tell me the problems regarding airlines from Hanoi to Siem Reap. I read that two carry ons and they can't weigh over 15 lbs. do that weigh a purse??? Also only 44 pounds for a suitcase. I am very worried.

Finally printed and filled out Cambodia visa. I will be getting passport pictures made this week.

Can ANYONE tell me the problems regarding airlines from Hanoi to Siem Reap. I read that two carry ons and they can't weigh over 15 lbs. do that weigh a purse??? Also only 44 pounds for a suitcase. I am very worried.

Those are very typical baggage allowances outside of North America. Your HAN-REP air will probably be on Vietnam Airlines or a counterpart with baggage allowances likely to be the same. Here is the link to Vietnam Airlines' baggage info:

http://www.vietnamairlines.com/wps/portal/en/site/before_you_fly/baggage_info/hand_baggage

Unless on a very restricted charter or other condition, you can probably bring more...you'll just pay extra for it. Note any maximum sizes and weights that may be no-go items. I.e., in many markets, the absolute maximum weight is 70lbs..it won't go over that, so you'd have to repack to two lighter pieces.

And read the airline's allowances and excess baggage charge info... often it is a little cheaper to check an extra piece rather than one over the free weight limit...again that varies by market.

Steve

My husband and I had one checked bag between us that weighed about 52 pounds, and his carryon was a small over-the-shoulder duffel. My carryon was a large purse and a small wheeled bag, slightly larger than a rolling computer briefcase and much smaller than a standard US 22" rollaboard - what we called at my former airline career a 'turnaround bag'.

As far as our checked bags for the internal flight, AMA handled it for us as group baggage, and we didn't have to check in and put it on the scale ourselves. Not sure how it would work for you since you're on your own. Maybe someone who did their own land portion can weigh in?

My husband and I had one checked bag between us that weighed about 52 pounds, and his carryon was a small over-the-shoulder duffel. My carryon was a large purse and a small wheeled bag, slightly larger than a rolling computer briefcase and much smaller than a standard US 22" rollaboard - what we called at my former airline career a 'turnaround bag'.

As far as our checked bags for the internal flight, AMA handled it for us as group baggage, and we didn't have to check in and put it on the scale ourselves. Not sure how it would work for you since you're on your own. Maybe someone who did their own land portion can weigh in?

Yes I was hoping someone could let me know. It says one check in per person for 44 lbs. that isn't a big deal as we usually always have a bag each for 50 lbs but we won't need formal wear or cold weather clothes. But it says the carry on is one small bag as a purse, etc, and another. Small bag but they can't be over 15 lbs. my carry on weighs more that 15 lbs al its empty. Lol. And it is a small bag. Then I have a box of items I bought for kids. It weighs 13 pounds as it is. S if my hubby takes it, he also has a back pack. We ask about moving up to first class but that is 175 per person more. It would give us an extra check in. It says you pay $2 per pound over the weight limit. So that could be expensive. We checked on shipping the 13 lb box to our hotel in Cambodia but it would cost $180 to ship there. I am just worried what an extra bag would cost. We are going to call tomorrow to see what they say. Grrrrr

Yep, there's a hairdryer, but if memory serves, it wasn't a very good one. No matter, by that point in the trip we all had crazy hair.

Tanks, any hair dryer will work and I am just trying to get my luggage weight down. Well all packed. Leave the house at 7:00 am. Excited!!