AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

Have a wonderful trip, and give us a report when you return. We will be on this same trip on November.

Bon voyage

Robb - I will do. And if you have a chance, I would love to see your Galapalos photos. Maybe you can add them to a link and post them. I am booked on the Expedition for Sept 2014. Super excited to do that.

Well, ready to board plane so - we are out of here!!!! 18 days of vacation!!!

So, as I type we are on Japan Airlines heading Ito Toyko and getting on this plane made me think of something. Does Hanoi Vietnam and Cambodia need converters from 110 to 220? I didn't think of that so didn't bring it. Which makes me wonder if on the boat we will be able to use my curl iron, laptop, IPAD, iPhone, etc.... Could someone tell me about the hotels and the boat. Looked on the amawaterways site but no luck. I will have Internet in flight for the next few hours. If we need one did anyone else buy one in Hanoi? If so, what type of store has them? Thanks

You should be fine, Denmom. The current is 220, but your iProducts should have a converter built into the plug with the exception of possibly the iPhone. If you're using the charger that just has a simple plug on it, DON'T plug it in. If you have the charger with the small 'brick' it should be okay. Get out your spectacles and peer at the tiny writing to see if it has 110/220 on it. If so, you're good. As for the actual plug receptacle, I think they all handled whichever style plug you had, US or European two pin.

Your curling iron most likely won't work unless it's a special dual voltage model. Plugging it in will probably fry it.

Also, your camera charger should also be okay. Same as above, check the wording on the charger.

Ama's site says 220v, with the European 2-round pin plug. It doesn't specify anything different for the Vietnam fleet.

As to hotels, it can vary between about 7 types, but it looks like most in the north will take the Euro 2-pin plug. Some older places in the south may take the normal US plug, but it could be the Euro plug as well. (and then there are 3-pin, 3 blade, odd 2 blade plugs per a website). When in doubt, ask the front desk. Hotels and the ship will likely have a few converters and plug adapters to loan out.

Most modern "toys", like Kindles, smart phones, lap-tops, etc, do adapt to either 110 or 220 coming in; so you just need to have a plug adapter.

You may see "universal adaptors" in the on-board Duty Free catalogues and at shops....fine for the various plug adaptors, but I've seen reviews of some that aren't too good at converting down 220 to 110. The thing should not get hot in your hand, so that's a test before you plug your device into it.

Denmom, I forgot you have your own hotels, so you may need a plug adaptor. All the hotels AMA put us in took any type of plug. I had the US to European adaptors and didn't need them. All our stuff went right in.

Thanks guys. I know in Hanoi we are staying at the Hanoi Del Opera Hotel which is in the old quarter and close to the lake with the red bridge. :). I will never be able to Remember and/or pronoun these names of cities and all. I am a Kentucky girl and we don't speak great English. Lol. or that is what my hubby tells me. Well, if we can't use them our items, I can maybe get our tour guide to stop at a spot where we can buy them. Surely he will know. By the way, I am really bad with accents, so I mi not learn much if our guide has a heavy accent. Heck, I am n the plane and don't even understand the our stewardess right now. lol. But I do expect to have a GREAT experience. Even if everyday is a bad hair day. Lol lol

Edited by Denmom

Denmom, where in Kentucky......we are in Louisville. :)

Sometimes the hotel (or boat) will have adapters that you may borrow. Might check that out.

Anxious to hear from you when you return.

Denmom, where in Kentucky......we are in Louisville. :)

Sometimes the hotel (or boat) will have adapters that you may borrow. Might check that out.

Anxious to hear from you when you return.

Original from as far west as you can go before hitting Missouri - Paducah, KY is the closer bigger city you probably have heard from.

It ended up in our hotel, they have it set up for 110. So that is great. But I have to set at a small desk with curl iron in my hand, IPAD on photo with it turns around to myself while I did my hair. Had to ake it worl. Lol.

Today we had a very busy day. (we got checked into our hotel about 11pm last night). We went to the Ho Chi Minh Masoleum, his home, temple, one pillar pagoda, temple of literature, road in a Rick shaw thru the old quarter and market, saw a water puppet show, visited Hanoi Hotel (prison), to the lake where the B 52 still lays from being shot down during the Vietnam War, went to the lake where John McCain was shot down, ate lunch at a cooking school and it was great, and many other site seeing places. (Another museum I think was called Museum of Ethnology) just great day of seeing things!

Tomorrow morning up early and off to Ha Long Bay to board our junk boat for what should be a great 24 hours!

So far so good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got back from my Cambodia/Vietnam trip just a week ago. I can only say AWESOME.

Everything about it was great. We did the pre and post cruise on our own using a tour company and it was also great. (Especially that it was us, our guide and driver so we could see lots more things in a day since we didn't have to wait around for others) Spent 6 days in Hanoi, two days in Siem Reap, then seven days on cruise followed by two days in Saigon. Definitely be of the top trips of my life.

Only bad thing that happened, we had to take a bus for five hours to catch the ship as the lake was to low. While in route, one of the four buses broke down so our driver had to work on theirs. Ended up taking another almost two hours making the trip seven hours. Made for some starving people. But everyone was very calm and took it well. One bus did continue on its own to the ship.

I was in cabin 101 but I can say sitting on the balcony was very little. With temps in the 90s and very humid, air condition was craved. The tours with the river cruise were set up perfectly. Morning tour, back for a shower, change of clothes and lunch. Then back for afternoon tour. Everything was just great. I had made my photo album on facebook public if anyone would want to see the photos. I have a few more to post and then they will all be posted.

I took 900 pencils, bags of balloons, stickers, candy, and gave it all out. Some people gave out toothbrush. (Very smart), pens, books bought at one port ten for $1, cookie packs, markers, etc,....... Kids were a great part of the cruise. Loved seeing them and seeing them surviving with so little.

All hotels were set up to take 110 or 220 and so was river cruise and junk boat. No problem with extra luggage on my flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap (we had three checked bags, four carry ons) the extra check in bag was filled with the things to give kids and our guide told the airport rep so maybe that is why we were not charged. On the return home, we had that bag filled with gifts and had to buy another suitcase at the market in Saigon. I think my husband ended up with 15 new shirts, I got four shirts and three capris, lots of souvenirs for the grands, coffee for the kids with the little coffee brewers, basket the bread is served in on the river cruise (they sell them in the gift store on board) Vietnam hats for everyone, etc etc etc. great shopping. :)

Anyway, this cruise was worth the long wait for sure.

Edited by Denmom

Debe, I would love to view your photos on FB, but how do I find you :D.

Sharon

PRECUISE

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151591018011635.1073741830.707081634&type=1&l=3c5536b3f8

RIVER CRUISE

I will be adding just a few more to the cruise. but post cruise I am still going thru. I will probably make another folder and then post the link!

Enjoy

Debe, so glad to hear such a positive report. November cannot get here soon enough. Like you, we had to buy another piece of luggage in China for all that we bought. Will probably have to do that on this trip as well.

Going to check out your pics---we take hundreds and hundreds, all of which go into albums, running out of room to store them

later

Robb

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread and FB pix, haven´t read through all the posts yet. We are looking at this cruise for Oct 2014, so will probably be back wanting more info.

Were there any down sides to the holiday eg public toilets like China? The pre and post cruise trips, did you arrange those and any tours independently?

Sandy in Spain

Re.toilets.Pretty basic in public areas(sort of hover over types).Do book a few extra days prior in Hanoi and easy to see on own.Can get a tuk tuk and even walk to many places from AMA hotel .

Can also read Member review section.I picked AMAlotus since its the newest ship.Did my own air,got taxi to hotel,no problems.Went home a day early from Saigon,just due to my vacation time.But plenty to see and do,get a good guidebook,look at tourist websites,do lots of research.Then just HAVE FUN,one of my favorite river cruises.:)

• 1 month later...

Did you receive a detailed itinerary for the touring day in Hanoi before leaving, or do you get this the morning the tour starts? We would like to do some planning in advance for our extra day in Hanoi, but don't want to duplicate visits to sites that will be covered on our tour.

Does anyone have the detailed itinerary to share?

We are travelling from uk for 24 night tour. Can anyone tell me about the charges for excess luggage on the domestic flights? Is it always vietnam airways? On their site they say the charge is 20,000 dong per kilo....seems very reasonable...but is it true. Many thanks

the itinerary is listed on website or brochure and it followed it exactly.Sorry, don t have all the details.We did just the inc.tours and wish we had gone a day earlier to see more.Get a guidebook and visit tourist sites for info .Easy to take tuk tuks around town .

Re.flights.We used Vietman air for in country flights,and they never even weighed our luggage.AMA took care of it and we just took carry on(no problems at all).If doing on own,MAY be more strict?

Thanks for all your information. Did you go to the prison at the Hanoi Hilton? This does not appear to be listed in the brochure but some have indicated that they did do this as part of the first day tour.

I thought it WAS listed,guess I saw on website.Spent about 1hr there and very informative.We only took a tuk tuk thru old town on tour,then walked some parts after.Would have like to explore it further, one thing I d pass on and was water puppet show.Not worth the hot theater,small seats,subtitles,etc.to us,at least.Most of us agreed we WISH we d known that ahead of time.(do look it up on you tube to see if its for YOU);)

Edited by alexandra cruiser

I am not much help on the itinerary with AMA. We went plenty early, booked a tour on our own so we could see all we could, went to Cambodia early and stayed over in Saigon. I know part of AMA itenary on visiting Hanoi is doing the Ha Long Bay. very very nice. Our hotel in Hanoi was walking distance to the old quarter and so much other things. So after a day of tours we walked around. We also took a pedicab (really a cycle cab) all around the old quarter and later went back for shopping. We only had the "Asia" toilets mybe once but pretty much our guide knew where "western" toilets were and directed us there.

We also worried about luggage and had decided we might have to pay some. But even on our own they didn't give us any trouble. We were over weight big time from Hanoi to Cambodia but our guide said something to them and it was sent thru. The rest of the trip we didn't have to worry because we used miles and flew business class.

This trip is well worth the bathroom issues, luggage issues, etc. most people tend to over pack but this trip we didn't. We went in April so it was HOT. But didn't bother us. We packed light weight clothes and the tours were set up perfect on the cruise.

So this is a little information from someone who did everything on their own except the seven day cruise. (We should also mention we are not artsy people and wanted to visit anything to do with the war so our itinerary was picked based on this) We had been told people dress down for dinners on the boat so we didn't pack alot of nice clothes just casual for that. I did see alot of the ladies in light weight dresses but I didn't bring any.

Thanks for all your information. Did you go to the prison at the Hanoi Hilton? This does not appear to be listed in the brochure but some have indicated that they did do this as part of the first day tour.

we had free time in Hanoi, morning tour through AMA, and late afternoon was tuk tuk ride and water puppet show.... a few of us went to Hanoi Hilton on our own to tour and had lunch at a very nice restaurant near our hotel....had plenty of time to fit it all in

• 4 weeks later...
PRECUISE

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151591018011635.1073741830.707081634&type=1&l=3c5536b3f8

RIVER CRUISE

I will be adding just a few more to the cruise. but post cruise I am still going thru. I will probably make another folder and then post the link!

Enjoy

DENMOM Thank you for sharing your photos! I am on La Marguerite this fall, and your information has really helped.

One question. I see you wearing shorts on HaLong Bay, would you or did you any place else? I am kind of a shorts and tee shirt kind of a gal, would that be out of place with this group?

Mary