AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

Hi Everyone,

I just hopped onto this thread from another AMA one doing the Vietnam/Cambodia land/cruise package. Most everything I'm seeing has to do with Hanoi to Saigon travel. My tour is doing the reverse trip Saigon to Hanoi in Feb 2014. Has anyone done this version of the tour? I've gotten the Vietnam visa with no problem, send Monday, returned Friday - great service directly with embassy in Washington, DC.

My problem is getting the visa for Cambodia. We will be arriving in Cambodia by river, not airport. I've gotten 3 different answers as to our port of entry including AMA. Has anyone done this south to north travel and where did you enter Cambodia? Also, is there a problem if you have one entry point on your visa and you enter at another point? Any help would be appreciated.

While my first hand AMAWaterways experience is from Hanoi to Saigon, I did find some information on your direction. You will cross the border near the Vietnam city of Chau Doc ("Chau Doc crossing on the Mekong River"). From this site with extensive information on travel to/from/in Cambodia:

Kaam Samnor, Cambodia/Ving Xuong, Vietnam ("Chau Doc crossing") (On the Mekong River)

Cambodian visas available at the border. Vietnamese visas NOT available at the border

This site proved very useful for other preparation and research about the portion of the trip in Cambodia. They have great guides to Angkor Wat.

More evidence -- Ralph Grizzle, the "Avid Cruiser" did take the AMAWaterways La Marguerite starting from Saigon and going upriver to Cambodia. He posts on his blog page titled

The Nuts & Bolts Of A Mekong Cruise: Visa, Airlines and Insurance

"You’ll need two passport photos for the Vietnam multi-entry visa (you’ll need two more for the Cambodia visa, which can be issued on the ship)."

Thus Ralph Grizzle, travel writer and blogger, let AMAWaterways obtain the Cambodian visa for him while on board. His overview of the journey is also very useful for preparation and research.

My conclusion would be to take along the extra photos and let the ship handle the visas.

Shorex,

Thanks for the quick response. The Kaam Samnor crossing was one of the port of entries (of the 3) that I was given by AMA, Cambodian Embassy & VisaCentral. So if I decide to get the visa myself that is the one I'll put on the request. I had heard from several sources that AMA staff on the boat would get the Cambodia visa at the border but the girl that I talked to at AMA would not confirm that. She referred me to VisaCentral for the Cambodian visas.

My wife and I have travel extensively in Europe and have only need visas when we visited Russia. A tour company that I had contract for sightseeing around the Baltic arranged for the visas into Russia as part of the package. So this was a little new to us. The Vietnam visas were very easy but the different entry points for Cambodia kind of threw me.

I looked for an AMA Vietnam/Cambodia board last September but didn't see this one. Wish I had. I started another one myself and have gotten a few people on it but I couldn't understand why there wasn't more. Now I know why, everyone was here. Because of the wealth of information on this board, I think I'm just going to tell the people on the other board about it and close it down. No sense in reinventing the wheel.

Thanks for the websites, I'll check them all out.

We loved the entire experience so much that we will be returning soon to Vietnam and Cambodia on an independent trip.

A few more tips:

Saigon:

Take your eyeglass prescriptions. Just across the street from the Ben Thanh market (your tour will take you there) are a row of opticians who make quality glasses for a great savings from US prices. I got both single vision (one day) and progressives (two days), and even prescription sunglasses, all with very nice frames.

Stop for a drink and some food at the rooftop bar of the Rex hotel. Evening is best. The history, the view, and the atmosphere all combine to make this a special experience. We were there after Christmas and the boulevard below was decked out with more Christmas decorations than the typical US city -- all surrounding a statue of Uncle Ho.

Siem Reap:

We had Christmas dinner at the Nest Angkor Cafe Bar. The duck was the best ever.

The Blue Pumpkin in the old market area has air con and free wifi upstairs.

Next to the Blue Pumpkin is Dr. Fish -- where you put your feet into a big fish tank and the little buggers nibble off the dry skin. Think the price was $3 for half an hour that included a free beer. This process is now popular in pricey spas in the US for many more $$$.

About a block from the Blue Pumpkin and around a corner or two is a laundry -- got all our clothes cleaned, ironed and folded for almost nothing. Maybe $3 per kilo. Don't be confused by a bar called "The Laundry", the real laundry is not far. Ask at the Blue Pumpkin.

Hanoi:

Favorite restaurant (went there twice): The Green Tangerine

Google maps is your friend. We made maps of each important city and marked the hotel, points of interest, markets, etc. For Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) start with your hotel, add Ben Thanh Market, the Rex, the Post Office (yes, your tour will take you there), the airport, etc. We had a visual grasp of how to get around each city before we left home.

Take lots of pictures -- this is the coolest trip ever. Enjoy.

:)Thanks so much for your posting on the Mekong trip. We leave in a couple of weeks for about the same trip. We will have 3 nights in Hanoi before the organized portion of the trip. The Green Tangerine was one of the places on my list of possible places to eat. It just moved up a notch with your recommendation.

So excited about this trip. Somewhat worried about the typhoon headed that way. Sure hope the people stay safe and that there is not too much damage. So many of the Vietnamese are already living in substandard conditions and any loss would be just horrible.

We have arranged for a walking food tour of Hanoi, love trying local foods. Taking lots of meds to counteract any 'mistakes' in our tastings. :eek: LOL.

Thanks again.

We have arranged for a walking food tour of Hanoi, love trying local foods. Taking lots of meds to counteract any 'mistakes' in our tastings. :eek: LOL.

Love, love, love foodie tours in Asia. We have done them in Shanghai and Hong Kong. You'll get to see and experience Hanoi in a way that you could never do with a busload of 30+ folks. It's about more that the food, it's about neighborhoods and how the locals live and eat. I did reach my stopping point in Vietnam with the balut. Just couldn't go there. This time. :eek:

:)Thanks so much for your posting on the Mekong trip. We leave in a couple of weeks for about the same trip. We will have 3 nights in Hanoi before the organized portion of the trip. The Green Tangerine was one of the places on my list of possible places to eat. It just moved up a notch with your recommendation.

So excited about this trip. Somewhat worried about the typhoon headed that way. Sure hope the people stay safe and that there is not too much damage. So many of the Vietnamese are already living in substandard conditions and any loss would be just horrible.

Thanks again.

The Ly Club (within two blocks of the hotel and a pleasant walk) is a fantastic restaurant .... so good we went twice. We were there on the 1st and 2nd of this past October.

Wish we had had additional time in Hanoi but our China schedule did not allow for additional time: just what was included in the AML package.

Shorex,

My wife grew up in a small (?) town in Mass. and never got out until we met several years ago. Since then I have taken her around the world on several trips and she is now an experienced traveler and great traveling mate. She has also become quite a foodie and enjoys trying just about anything. The doctor who provided our necessary shots for the trip also provide a prescription in case we eat something a little too unusual. We have set up a cooking class in Saigon for the day after we arrive (2 days before start of tour) which starts with a shopping trip through the markets with the chef. Should be great. We are staying 3 days extra in Hanoi for some touring on our own. Have signed up with a group called "Eco-Tours" for 3 days. Driver, guide, car and us for trips out into the country side. Very flexible group and reasonable in their rates. Lunches during the tours with the locals and dinner each night back in Hanoi at up scale places. We'll ask about some of the ones you have recommended.

Wife has now been to Hong Kong with a side trip into China. She is really looking forward to experiencing some more of Asia. I spent 2 years in Okinawa thanks to Uncle Sam back in the early 70's before it was returned to Japan. Thought it was a great place. It will be interesting to see what her next choice will be. She is still thinking about Africa!

Thanks again for all your help. Happy travels.

Like "Old Traveller" I've been on another site with not much activity. This site is great.... glad "Old Traveller" found it. :)

Thanks to Shorex for the laundry tip in Siem Riep. When we arrive there we will be at the end of week 4 as we will already have been in Hong Kong + Thailand prior. And with 44 lb. luggage allowance, plus carryon for all our flights, our clothing for 6 weeks is going to be limited. We'll also be shopping at Bangkok's weekend market for some lightweight clothes .Might get some silk clothes made in HCM. We are staying an extra day both ends of AMA trip.

Ladies-- in your shopping did you see any lightweight capris ?

Shorex-- did your recommended restaurants take credit cards or cash only?

Anyone else going on the Hanoi-HCM March 4th trip with AMAlotus ?

Marilyn

Shorex-- did your recommended restaurants take credit cards or cash only?

Nest in Siem Reap and The Green Tangerine in Hanoi definitely take credit cards. We use a Capitol One card for purchases abroad because they have no foreign transaction fees.

Blue Pumpkin is so much more casual - think ice cream shop with a bakery - that we used dollars. You've probably seen this advice before, but do take plenty of US ones and fives.

If you haven't been to Bangkok before, you can get a map of the Chatuchak Weekend market here. It can very confusing the first time.

A better place for inexpensive clothing is the Pratunam Market, Thailand's largest clothing market. Just google Pratunam Market and see some of the images. Best selection you'll find in Bangkok. If you are interested, we have used a great tailor in Bangkok. His customers include US embassy officers and the Marine guard. Just be careful to go to the "real" Bobby Gulati and not the "fake" Bobby Gulati. Bobby takes personal US checks - saves him the credit card fee.

Just to add, we found a similar laundry in Hanoi, very inexpensive with quick service. It was within walking distance of the Sofitel, but don't remember exact directions.

We will be in Siem Reap and Saigon again before you leave for your trip. I'll take more notes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from this fabulous trip. We were tracking the terrible storms in the area, and thankfully the typhoons missed us and we enjoyed great weather, with only one day of rain during our day at sea.

Here are a few travel tips that may be helpful to future travelers.

1. Metropole Legend Hotel in Hanoi offers free historical tours of the hotel to its guests including the recently discovered bomb shelter. Offered 4 X per day. Better to book in advance by emailing hotel directly. Takes about 1/2 hour.

2. If you are traveling with friends, ask Amawaterways to put you on the same bus. We easily switched buses on the first morning to be with friends. You remain with this same group for all tours, and for junk boat

3. Collect soaps/shampoos from hotels to give out at the Amawaterways sponsored school. Keep some school supplies to give out when you visit village school during river cruise. (in Koh Chen Copper Village. (Most of us had given all of our supplies to the school in Siem Reap). It is also permissible to give out pencils to kids in villages, although again, no one had any left to distribute, and could be a problem if not enough to go round

4. Tour director on the cruise is the same person as the “tour manager” who is with you during all of the land and river portions of the trip

5. Hotel in Siem Reap offered a full bag of laundry service for $33 USD

6. La Marguerite has a large drawer under the window seat which adds to the storage space

7 No separate conditioner on the boat. Only shampoo/conditioner. Bring your own if you require this

8. Free wine is offered only with meals on the boat. At other times you had to pay for wine

9. We brought several adaptors to plug in several electrical devices in hotels. Ship offers US style prongs

10. Found markets in Siem Reap to be cheaper than in Hanoi for scarves, pashminas. Was able to bargain more in Siem Reap (about 50% less paid for items). Could also bargain more in Saigon markets than in Hanoi.

11. Amawaterways was excellent dealing with a couple of medical issues of guests by accompanying guest to medical facility, getting medications, etc.

12. Audiovox headset system was used throughout the trip and was excellent

13.Umbrellas and ponchos available on ship, and we sometimes took an umbrella for sun protection

14. Umbrellas available on buses in Siem Reap, also helpful for sun protection

15. No problem ever using USD and were able to get low amounts of change back in USD from restaurants and even from market vendors . Found $5 bills to be very useful in addition to $1 bills, as often used these to tip guides and/or drivers who were with us for 3 days at a time

You are in for a wonderful experience!

Thank you for all the tips.:D

Didn't realize there was 2 schools . Hadn't heard about the one in Siem Reap. Which is the one that is AMA sponsored?

Any suggestions for supplies ? I have only purchased a few pencils + notebooks so far because of luggage weight issues. Probably everyone donating that. I like to give stuff that is maybe different + can be shared (ie) calculators , post notes, etc. Was the stuff just put on a table or given to the individual kids.

Did you visit the school in the village or just hand out pencils to kids you saw on the street?

Gratuities... how many local guides were tipped & approx. how much per guide. I heard the boat is $ 10 / day / pp which equals $ 140 & you can put on your credit card ?? That was for the crew. What about the main ama guide ? Did you pay them cash or CC & how much since they were there ~15 days.

How much $ US do you think you spent on gratuities on the trip . Trying to figure how many $1 & $5 to bring.

Were you able to pay for all your non-ama meals in Hanoi, Siem Reap, + Saigon with credit card or did you use cash?

Ha Long Bay overnighter: any tips for that. Any activities requiring the bathing suit ? How many customers do the junks sleep ? There is 16 in our group.

Do you remember what sites were visited that required the covered shoulders + below knees clothing for going to the temples.; or did the guide advise the day prior what the dress code would be? Is Siem Reap in that category? Otherwise I plan to live in shorts & T.

How were the mosquitoes ? Any on the boat ?

The flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap I assume was on Vietnam Air. What time did you depart Hanoi ?

I'm sure I'll have more questions for you. ;)We are on the March 4 - 19 trip.

Tks , Marilyn

Thank you for all the tips.:D

Didn't realize there was 2 schools . Hadn't heard about the one in Siem Reap. Which is the one that is AMA sponsored?

Any suggestions for supplies ? I have only purchased a few pencils + notebooks so far because of luggage weight issues. Probably everyone donating that. I like to give stuff that is maybe different + can be shared (ie) calculators , post notes, etc. Was the stuff just put on a table or given to the individual kids.

Did you visit the school in the village or just hand out pencils to kids you saw on the street?

Gratuities... how many local guides were tipped & approx. how much per guide. I heard the boat is $ 10 / day / pp which equals $ 140 & you can put on your credit card ?? That was for the crew. What about the main ama guide ? Did you pay them cash or CC & how much since they were there ~15 days.

How much $ US do you think you spent on gratuities on the trip . Trying to figure how many $1 & $5 to bring.

Were you able to pay for all your non-ama meals in Hanoi, Siem Reap, + Saigon with credit card or did you use cash?

Ha Long Bay overnighter: any tips for that. Any activities requiring the bathing suit ? How many customers do the junks sleep ? There is 16 in our group.

Do you remember what sites were visited that required the covered shoulders + below knees clothing for going to the temples.; or did the guide advise the day prior what the dress code would be? Is Siem Reap in that category? Otherwise I plan to live in shorts & T.

How were the mosquitoes ? Any on the boat ?

The flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap I assume was on Vietnam Air. What time did you depart Hanoi ?

I'm sure I'll have more questions for you. ;)We are on the March 4 - 19 trip.

Tks , Marilyn

I'll try to answer all of your questions:

1. Schools: The school that Amawaterways sponsors is in the Seim Reap area. They offered us a choice of visiting 2 schools. One was the one that Ama sponsors, the other is an orphanage (ODA Village) where kids live and study. We opted to visit the Ama sponsored one. Any supplies would be appreciated and are given to the teacher, not to individual students. I brought mostly packages of colored pencils.

In the village, we did visit the school, as the teacher happened to be present. No students were there at the time. Felt bad that we had no supplies left as he clearly could have used them. It was an open air classroom, and he volunteers his time to teach.

I do see a problem with trying to hand out supplies to individual kids in the villages, as it would be a problem if you did not have enough for everyone. The kids all run to say hello as soon as the tourists arrive. Some are trying to sell things to you, others are just being friendly.

2. Tipping:You will receive some documents from Ama which includes guidelines for tipping.

Pre and Post cruise- tour manager $2 per person per day

Local guides: $2 per person per each full day tour

bus drivers: $1 per person for each full day tour

Cruise: cruise director (who is the tour manager for the land portion)- $2 p.p. per day. We gave him $2 per day for the land portion, and $2 per day for the cruise portion. So it was $30 per person total.

river guides: $2-$3 pp per day

crew $10 pp per day (X7 days),this one can be added to shipboard account and paid by visa.

The tour manager did indicate a range of suggested tipping that was higher than that recommended by Ama.

All the tips, other than the one to the ship crew were given in cash. We also gave $5 pp for the crew of the junk boat. If we had a land guide for several days, we tipped them at the end. We used a lot of $5 bills for tips in addition to $1's. We had 5 different land guides. One for Hanoi and Halong Bay (3 days), one for Siem Reap (1 1/2 days), one for Cambodia part of river cruise (3 days) , one for Vietnam part of river cruise (1 1/2 days), and one for Saigon (1 day).

I would guess that we spent about $160 per person in tips.

I brought $125 in ones, and $185 in fives. Did come home with $40 in ones, but used all of the fives. (Depends on how much shopping you will do in the markets) Also used $20's for larger combined tips and for combined purchases. Used a handful of $50's.

Most restaurants accepted visa. We did use cash for several and were able to get change in USD.

3. Halong Bay. There were 3 junk boats for our group of 65 people. People were assigned boats based on their color group for touring. One junk boat was larger than the other two, and so a few couples switched groups for the overnight on the junk. There is one excursion where you can swim at a beach or choose to climb 400 steps to the top for a beautiful view of Halong Bay.

We did use the pool at the hotel in Siem Reap, as well as the pool on the ship, and the one in Saigon.

3. Dress code. The tour manager does a briefing every evening before dinner and does alert you to when a dress code is required. There were several sites that required shoulders and knees being covered. Capris were fine. Even longer shorts to the knee were fine for men. Your guides will also keep you informed as to when dress code is required.

4. Mosquitos. Never noticed mosquitos but did use repellant even in the cities as was recommended to us by our physician. Was bitten by some large bug on the junk boat, but it was not a mosquito. Swarms of bugs at Siem Reap airport, but again I don't think that they were mosquitos.Bugs in the evening in Siem Reap, but repellant seemed to help. I think they were referred to as "May flies"

5. Intra Asia flight- it was a long travel day. 4 hours bus ride from Halong Bay to airport in Hanoi with a stop at a lovely golf course for lunch. Tour manager checked in our luggage and had our boarding passes upon our arrival at the Hanoi airport. It was Vietnam Airlines. Although baggage restrictions are tight, did not hear of anyone who had a problem with overweight luggage. Our carry on was not weighed. I did make sure we were within the weight limits. Flight left about 5:00 pm. Meal was served on board, and we were at our hotel in Siem Reap about 7:45. Dinner was included that evening at the hotel.

Margot

Yes, there are two schools, and you will choose which one you want to visit. The AMA sponsored school or the ODA orphanage school - the visits happen simultaneously. As best I remember, the ODA school kids study art, and they sell their works. They sent some small pictures to the AMA school, and I bought a couple there. I would imagine the ODA kids would like art supplies, and regular school supplies for the AMA kids. We went to the AMA school, and they said we could leave a donation. I took pencils and composition notebooks, but they would have been just as happy with cash in their collection box. So, if you don't have much room, don't worry about it. Of course, any room vacated by books can be filled with souvenirs :)

We tipped all our local guides and drivers along the way according to guidelines but tipped the tour manager at the end. He was with us from Hanoi until we left for the airport in Saigon. Even though we were on 'free' days at the end, he was in the hotel lobby most of the day every time there was a group leaving to say goodbye. He also arranged for some folks to do private tour type things in Saigon. He was fantastic.

Thank you Margot & Amyr for all the wonderful info. I'm going to pass it onto the rest of my group. Did more school shopping today ; going to separate into 2 bags so I have something for that school in Koh Chen.

Marilyn :)

to all of you getting all the above to pass out.When we were on the ox cart ride many kids follow you and sing,etc.I TRIED to give a few of them some of the things I brought and in ENGLISH they said,NO<MONEY,PLEASE.Ended up giving them BOTH.We thought it was sort of cute,but driver was upset and told them to leave.

So maybe they get TOO MUCH of that stuff??FIgure every cruise they get same thing??:confused:

Yes I am aware of school scams. In early posts of a few years ago there was an article about how they get the kids ( school or orphanage school - can't remember) to look all happy when you add your 'goodies' to the collection ; however when the writer did some undercover surveillance he found the kids didn't get the 'goodies', they were sold and the adults pocketed the profits.

So the writer actually advised to either not donate or just give to a tour sponsored school.

Found similar situation in Trinidad , Cuba..... handed out toothbrushes + toothpaste until I clued in the same people were mobbing me as I walked from block to block. So I stopped donating & took my loot back to the hotel & gave to the staff. The tour guide said the folks in Trinidad were 'professional' beggers who sold their loot at the market.

Said I'd never donate again after that instance & here I am again doing it.

So thanks for the reminder Alexandrea cruiser . Fortunately I haven't got much to give ; just a few items so I have to hand them directly to the teacher , not the kids . That is if I have room in my suitcase ... LOL :)

Hello all. We did this cruise back in April. I did hand out things. First of all, we were told to NOT give money. No matter what. We found the fishing village in Cambodia to be the poorest and they have a store that the guide suggested to us to buy books for very cheap.

Saying this, I packed an entire suitcase of giveaways. I had 900 pencils, hundreds and hundreds of balloons, stickers I put on everyone's shirt (that way I knew who I gave to and who I didn't), small candies, small bracelets, books (purchased at the store in Cambodia fishing village), and the kids were super excited.

Others in a group gave tooth brushes, tooth paste, small packs of Oreo cookies, crayons, markers, pencils, candy among other things. Some waited and purchased the items in Hanoi but I brought all ours. I purchased most of my items online for Oriental Trading so I could buy in bulk. I gave a pencil out to each child in the classroom but others didn't have enough and gave them to the teacher for the class to use. In our trip, I gave pencils along the entire route and didn't run out but have one pencil per person along with a balloon and sticker. I even threw them To kids as we rode in the tricycle In one village, making sure not to hit anyone. And handed them out to those close enough to grab them. On the ox cart ride I gave the kids these items before leaving on the ride. The kids did run following us and wanted more once there. This is when I found the stickers on the shirts worked as I could tell who got them and who didn't. Of course eventually some kids figured out what I was doing.

Spending time talking and seeing the kids faces light up was a high light of the trip. In Phonm Penh in front of the royal palace a kid was selling bags of something for $1. I did not buy it but gave him one of everything I had. He literally kissed my hand, hugged me, thanked me continuously and was so greatful. And my husband took a picture of me and the child. Cambodia is a very poor country.

Our guy was from Cambodia and he did say giving money to them doesn't teach them to work for what they have. And they will come to expect and beg for money from all tourist. A bad habit to start. But if you had items to give them of use, then that was great. Many kids can not go to school as they can not afford the supplies and uniforms required. you will be able to tell the difference. Some kids did not ask for items but I did offer pencils to every kid I could. Even in shopping areas. What ever was left over I handed out at the end while In Saigon.

Enjoy every minute of the trip. I did post my facebook photo album of the trip and I am sure I had pictures of the kids along the route!

Edited by Denmom

Thank you very much for your input. Love the photos,,, gives me an idea of what to wear for clothes + shoes. I also do online scrapbooking so I think I might be using your photos + dictations for reference; I will be so confused when I get home... LOL. I'm doing Hong Kong & Thailand before this trip so remembering details after the fact is going to be a chore. Don't know how you managed with all the kiddies or how you found room in your suitcase for all the goodies. But I can see you enjoyed yourself immensely. I'll have to rethink my strategies .

On the boat did they have rum (+ coke ), or should I bring my own. I'm not a beer or wine drinker.

Tks again,

Marilyn

Thank you very much for your input. Love the photos,,, gives me an idea of what to wear for clothes + shoes. I also do online scrapbooking so I think I might be using your photos + dictations for reference; I will be so confused when I get home... LOL. I'm doing Hong Kong & Thailand before this trip so remembering details after the fact is going to be a chore. Don't know how you managed with all the kiddies or how you found room in your suitcase for all the goodies. But I can see you enjoyed yourself immensely. I'll have to rethink my strategies .

On the boat did they have rum (+ coke ), or should I bring my own. I'm not a beer or wine drinker.

Tks again,

Marilyn

When it comes to alcohol, I can't help you. We do not drink alcohol at all. So not sure what they served.

I also do a form of scrap booking. I make the photo albums via Walmart website of our trips. But I am behind and this one will take some time for sure. I figure those are better than printing photos. As I make the book with write ups on all the pages. So works out for me. But again, I am behind a good year on the trips.

As far as items I bought, I had one suitcase full of the items. With it being hot weather, I didn't pack much and we did laundry in Siem Reap which was our half way point. And the laundry was very cheap.

We would love to do Thailand and it is on our bucket list. Plus we want to go back to Cambodia. So that will be our next venture and we will go on our own!

Enjoy your trip

and saw people getting mixed drinks.So you should have no problem with a rum and coke.

Re.laundry.We did it in room(brought wash and wear),hung on balcony and dry in a few hrs.No problem,and no cost.I went thru at least 2 tops a day,due to heat,etc.Same with nitegowns,undies,socks.After an excursion,nice to go back and take shower,get clean clothes,etc.Never would have been able to pack enough if I waited to Siem Reip.PS.bought those plastic clothes pins.:)