AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

The weather will be hot and humid thruout the trip. You won't need any warm clothes-just bring a collapsible umbrella or a disposable poncho. We were caught in that heavy rain that Susan mentions, and wish we had remembered to carry our umbrella. And you will also enjoy the cold beer when you get back to the ship after your tours!

Susan-will be on the AMA Danube River cruise this Nov. Then I will have to bring some warm clothes!

We're doing AMA Danube in late October, and figure we have to bring warm clothes for that, which we hope to not need when we finish that cruise package at Prague and head to Croatia for a week prior to taking a T-A from Rome to Galveston. Makes it hard to pack when you experience multiple climates.

We're doing the AmaLotus Vietnam/Cambodia package next February, and hope for good weather with that. Good to know we can probably pack light at least for that trip. A good folding umbrella is always on my check-list for any trip. Keeps the sun off too, if it really comes to that.

Very useful are convertible pants, with the zip-off legs. You get both long pants and shorts in one. Look for ones in nylon - light and easy to wash out if you wish.

Same with shirts that have removable sleeves, or with roll-up tabs. All of these are a staple at outdoor/sporting retailers - such as REI, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops.

Yeah, I have all those convertible pants and such, but I, too, thought it would be warm/hot the whole trip until I read some reviews from the same time we're going. We will be there the first week of December, and past travelers had a cold spell in Hanoi and Halong Bay. I think they said it was 45-50 and raining, which to my Floridian blood is freezing!

Hopefully that was a fluke and I'll be okay with the yoga pants and knit jacket I'll be wearing on the airplane and maybe a lined rain jacket. Either way, it's only a couple of days at the beginning, and by the time we get to Siem Reap we'll be wishing we were cold!

Most of the outlets will accept US style plugs, but it wouldn't hurt to bring an adapter. The voltage is 220. Check the items you want to plug in. Most of the "wall wart" type plugins are dual voltage these days. I checked the items I was bringing ahead of time and found they were all dual voltage, so I left my converter at home (saved weight) and only brought the adapters. There were at least 3 outlets in the room.

The WiFi is a little slow since the land link is through cell towers. There are also times when the ship is out of range of the cell towers. I didn't bring my laptop due to baggage and weight constrants, but I have a WiFi link on my cell which I used several times in the main lounge area to check email. They also have several computers available in the library in the bow for passenger use. Both the computers and WiFi are free.

AMA recommends a $10 per person per day tip for the crew. This can be done by credit card on the last night. They also recommend a tip of $5/day for the tour manager. We paid this to him in cash. They suggest a $4/day tip for local tour guides. We also used cash for this. We also tipped the bus drivers and sampan drivers $2. We brought with us $50 in ones and $200 in fives for small tips and purchases, and enough 20's to cover larger expenses. US dollars were accepted everywhere we went, but in Vietnam they give change in Dong (about 20,000 Dong/Dollar). In Cambodia the ATM's will give you US dollars, but not in Vietnam.

On another note, make sure you have extra rechargeable batteries and plenty of memory chips for your cameras. Several in our group had problems in this area. You will be taking LOTS of pictures!

I hope this helps. I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip.

Hi. This is my first time asking a ?. Hope its OK. Is wifi available on the ship? I have an ipad.

There is wifi on the ship. One the LM, signals worked best in the lounge and in the library where the wireless routers were located. Even then, it was an intermittent access. Bandwidth was NOT what you need for videos, so just expect email access, basic web browsing and similar. There was one fellow who kept wanting to watch videos, tying up bandwidth for many. Be considerate - you will be getting about the same as dialup or standard wireless speed.

As for iPad.....all wireless devices are subject to the laws of physics with regard to antennas and reception capability. Better antennas, larger antennas, better wifi performance. iPads aren't at the top of the heap for wifi performance so don't expect to use it all over the LM. But you will get connectivity.

There is wifi on the ship. One the LM, signals worked best in the lounge and in the library where the wireless routers were located. Even then, it was an intermittent access. Bandwidth was NOT what you need for videos, so just expect email access, basic web browsing and similar. There was one fellow who kept wanting to watch videos, tying up bandwidth for many. Be considerate - you will be getting about the same as dialup or standard wireless speed.

As for iPad.....all wireless devices are subject to the laws of physics with regard to antennas and reception capability. Better antennas, larger antennas, better wifi performance. iPads aren't at the top of the heap for wifi performance so don't expect to use it all over the LM. But you will get connectivity.

Anyone going on this cruise? Looking forward to the adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. This is my first time asking a ?. Hope its OK. Is wifi available on the ship? I have an ipad.

I'm on Amalotus right now, typing this on my iPad. No problems.

There are no signs in the bathroom. Flushing paper is fine.

There has been a change in policy about tour groups. You may now go with whatever group you want to. You are not stuck with the same people the whole trip unless you want to be. :)

I'm on Amalotus right now, typing this on my iPad. No problems.

There are no signs in the bathroom. Flushing paper is fine.

There has been a change in policy about tour groups. You may now go with whatever group you want to. You are not stuck with the same people the whole trip unless you want to be. :)

Thanks for the news from the ship. :)

So far everything has been wonderful. I won't post any lengthy reviews while onboard since typing on an iPad is a pain in the arse but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

I am doing the Northbound itinerary and this is my third day onboard.

Off to explore Sa Dec shortly so have to run...

I am worried about the food. I am picky so is it spicy or heavenly seasoned?

Also, are you using your IPAD in you cabin?

How bug us the pool? We will be there in July so very hot then.

Have there been any tours that a specific dress code is needed?

how is the cruise so far??Any info would be appreciated,,,I m booked on AMAlotus in Dec. and really would love to hear a review and all details since you re ON THE SHIP...

Hows food,serivice,cabin,excursions,hotel,,and etc.....???

Look forward to your posts,,thanks,:)

When are you going in December? We're booked on the Nov. 27 trip, but the cruise part starts (I think) December 3.

The food options are limited to three dinner entrees, plus some appetizer/salad selections. If you are picky, don't go. There is no "alternative" food source, nor room service. This is NOT a trip for the fussy.
Internet service is adequate, but this is not for those who are internet junkies who need streaming everything everywhere.
The pool is an overgrown jacuzzi tub. If it is five feet wide and 20 feet long, I'd be surprised. Do NOT expect anything like an ocean cruise pool, nor a pool deck experience. Hardly anyone used the pool on our cruise.
All temple tours have dress restrictions. Modest dress is appropriate for all shorex.

If you are looking for an ocean cruise style experience on the river, you will not get it. Even for the "luxury" lines on the Mekong, stop and remember where you are and the situation you are in. These are countries only decades from wars, destruction and genocide. Though they have made great strides, this is not a sanitized Caribbean-style experience. Tourism is a relatively new industry. If you are fussy, stay home. If you want all the bells and whistles of an ocean cruise, stay home. OTOH, if you are adaptable and open to new experiences, this may be the trip of a lifetime. Only you can answer these very critical issues.

When are you going in December? We're booked on the Nov. 27 trip, but the cruise part starts (I think) December 3.

We re going Dec.24,,,sorry,would love to meet someone who ll be on our trip...

Flyertalker,,,thanks for telling it like it is,,better to be prepared. Now realize that "luxury" cruise in Vietnam is a """Little""different than Europe.

Have my first AMA cruise in May,,Prague to Budapest,,on the new ship AMAcerto...can t wait...:)

The food has been very good. I like spicy, hot food but their hasn't been any. There are condiments that will spice things up if you wish.

At dinner there's a meat dish, a fish/seafood dish and a pasta dish. They will leave off sauces, etc. if what thry're offering doesn't appeal to you.

There's a good selection of both Western and Asian foods to choose from at breakfast and lunch. The pho station is excellent.

The pool is not large. It has been well used but not for swimming. There'e a bench around the edge where people sit and socialize.

So far there has been no dress code on the tours. I believe that changes tomorrow in Cambodia. I have been in Asia for four weeks now. As long as your knees and shoulders are covered you are good in most temples. The only place capris weren't good enough was the royal palace in Bangkok. I had to rent a skirt to wrap around me

The only internet is in the lounge. There's no signal in the rooms. Mine is close but I don't even get a hint of a signal.

The food has been very good. I like spicy, hot food but their hasn't been any. There are condiments that will spice things up if you wish.

At dinner there's a meat dish, a fish/seafood dish and a pasta dish. They will leave off sauces, etc. if what thry're offering doesn't appeal to you.

There's a good selection of both Western and Asian foods to choose from at breakfast and lunch. The pho station is excellent.

The pool is not large. It has been well used but not for swimming. There'e a bench around the edge where people sit and socialize.

So far there has been no dress code on the tours. I believe that changes tomorrow in Cambodia. I have been in Asia for four weeks now. As long as your knees and shoulders are covered you are good in most temples. The only place capris weren't good enough was the royal palace in Bangkok. I had to rent a skirt to wrap around me

The only internet is in the lounge. There's no signal in the rooms. Mine is close but I don't even get a hint of a signal.

Thanks Becky. I spent time in China and their food was mainly tofu and/or vegies and have to admit, I was happy when I found a Ky Fried Chicken and Spaghetti Place. Even breakfast was tofu and vegies. So glad to hear that the food isn't spicy and has real meat. I don't care if it is rabbit, goat or squirrel. I am from the south. I love pasta and fish so that will do also. Figured there had to be some type of options.

We just thought with hot weather, a cool off in the pool would be great. We aren't swimmers and even though we have a pool at our house, I do not use it but maybe 10 days all summer. So not a big swimmer but thought with the heat we might just sit by the pool with our feet in the water. I didn't expect it to be a HUGE pool as 175 people on a river cruise doesn't need a huge pool.

As far as dress, I'm just trying to think of what to buy to wear. I would normally pack pretty much shorts for every day but now wondering exactly what to pack. Did you have rain gear (or guess it isn't the rainy season right now) Also did you wear shorts any of the days? I know people are talking about zip off pants but I don't remember seeing any of those and have been looking when I am out and haven't seen any yet. So maybe someone can say where they bought theirs.

My husband will most definitely need to use the internet as even though he is on vacation, he will have to do some work. Even if he has to miss a tour and stay on the boat to do it. I am sure he will have his laptop so if there is wifi, that should work for him. We are not both retired and my hubby definitely can't be gone for 18 days without checking in and dealing with the problems that are going on. Just part of traveling that we have to deal with.

Couple more questions:

Do they have printers on board that can be used?

You said you have been in Asia for four weeks prior to the river cruise, so did you find places to do laundry? WE will be 7 days in Hanoi, 2 days in Siem Reap prior to the cruise so feel like we need to do laundry before the cruise starts. We plan to have one duffle bag each and small carry on each.

Thanks for your information.

As far as dress, I'm just trying to think of what to buy to wear. I would normally pack pretty much shorts for every day but now wondering exactly what to pack. Did you have rain gear (or guess it isn't the rainy season right now) Also did you wear shorts any of the days? I know people are talking about zip off pants but I don't remember seeing any of those and have been looking when I am out and haven't seen any yet. So maybe someone can say where they bought theirs.

I've bought the zip-off pants from L.L. Bean, at various times of year. They also are a good source of very light, tropical weight shirts...long and short sleeves. Not very stylish, but practical. If have one outfit of tan pants and tan shirt I call my "Rhapsody in Blah" outfit, but it's good to be neutral and not bright and flashy in many parts of the world. The shirts can come with a lot of button or zipper pockets to keep your travel docs close. Some of the long sleeved shirts have buttons above the elbow so you can roll up the sleeves and have them stay there.

-----

We're on AmaLotus just a hair under a year from now. I'm looking forward to the local food, as we love Viet/Thai/Lao cuisine, so I hope it's available but not too blanded-down for the average American palate. Since it is the former French Indochine, do they have good French cuisine as well?

Hi Denmom

This is partly a review that I have been very slow to post, and an attempt to answer some of your questions. I know I'm repeating some things earlier posters have said, but it's such a long thread now that it takes a lot of time to go back through it. We really benefited from the reviews posted by others before our cruise.

We did the cruise in early January. Internet access was patchy (or not available) in Cambodia but OK in Vietnam. You needed to go to the lounge for access. They give you a code - my laptop was fine. There were also a couple of ship computers for use. When we were docked next to the Marguerite, I guessed their password and was able to use the computer in the cabin for a short time. I didn't see any printers, but maybe the office may help there in an emergency? But I can't imagine them doing regular work for you - it's a small 'office'.

Food was OK - some very good. We enjoyed the Asian food more. There was always a variety of salads at lunch - some Asian and spicy, some more European. The local fresh fruit was terrific. The beef was a bit tough. I often had the fish at night - it was mostly very good. We saw some tables eating hamburgers and chips at night - so I guess this is also available. Wingtips - I don't remember there being much decent French cuisine.

The 'pool' is on the top deck, under sails, and that area was quite warm when the boat was docked. We were there in the 'cool' season so I imagine it could be even hotter at other times. It was lovely at night and when the boat was moving.

The house wine was pretty terrible, but the beer was good. The local spirits were also fine. We paid for wine each night, as did most of the others we met.

For clothes, check the daily excursions if they are listed online. You'll be given a detailed booklet before the cruise. In Cambodia, it was sometimes just a walk through local villages and visits to simple factories. Shorts would not be a problem there. If there is a temple listed, you'd need to be covered more. I just wore capri length pants. It was very dusty - I had brought sandals to wear but found it was more comfortable in closed shoes. I imagine, with the rainy season, you'd want sturdy shoes. Make sure you have a hat. I imagine rain gear would be very hot to wear - an umbrella may be of more use. We were actually given umbrellas for sun protection while on excursions.

The headsets APT used were very good. They were French, and we were encouraged to take good care of them because of their cost. Our guide carried spare batteries - I only needed one change during the week.

Bring heaps of small notes for tipping. (Even though tipping for APT customers was included, we still left extra in many places.) You also need small notes to purchase silk products etc on some of the excursions.

Be really careful with hygiene. Despite our best efforts, we were both sick - at different times and with different symptoms, as were many other on board. We wrote to APT about this and received the standard reply that the ship has the highest possible standards etc. AMA still hasn't replied. If you don't inform the desk, they have no idea how widespread the problem is. Our cabin attendant, Melody, was wonderful - bringing ginger tea and other special food to help those who were ill. We didn't feel that 'management' on board was very concerned, but our APT tour guide was a pillar of strength.

I don't know about laundry. You'd best try in Hanoi as you are there longer. If you are at the Sofitel in Siem Reap, it's not in the city area, so you would be locked into trying to have laundry done at the hotel.

As other have said, it isn't like an ocean cruise. But it's an adventure, confronting, and a real insight into the lives of those who live along the Mekong. We really enjoyed it.

Hi Denmom

Thanks for all that information.

I have to admit, since reading the comment about the zip off pants I have now ordered one pair for each of us. So we will get them in and see how they fit. If we like them, we might order a second pair in a different color.

Food - I am fine with it. I did survive China's food and toilets overall. :eek:

We do have the porthole cabin. :( So unlike all the others (except the other three porthole cabins lol) we will be spending more time out of our cabin. The pool just might be our relaxing place out of the room. ;)

We do not drink alcohol (I know boring) so that doesn't matter to us. As long as they have bottle water we will be ok.

Guess I will start looking for light weight rain gear next. And some type of shoes that can handle water better than tennis shoes. lol

Oh well, I have a little less than four months to handle all the things I need. With a full schedule to boot. It will all work out though.

Thanks again.

Some additional info about the recent questions: You can get those zip-off leg pants at most of the open markets in VN or Cambodia-only about $5 or $7-depending on how much you bargain. And light weight drip dry polyester T-shirts are about $3 or $4-just right for the hot and humid weather. So don't pack too much-just buy what you need there-things are very cheap. Even for rain gear-just a folding umbrella, or at most a fold-up poncho. The ship will also provide umbrellas for your excursions.

As for laundries-take a look at 2Fltravelers review-very good and detailed. He went to a laundry in Siem Reap and paid $2 for a 2 kilo bag.

And don't drink the water-and brush your teeth w/bottled water. Some one suggested taking Pepto Bismol also.

can ask your Dr. to give you RX meds...like Bactrim,Cipro,,etc...some take them at half strength to prevent it in first place(I do) and others take it if slight symptoms start (My DH),

So,,if you really want to be SAFE,,in that regard,,,ask your Dr.

PS..have tried the pro biotic,pepto,immodium thing,,and while they "helped" I was still somewhat sick..when I do above regiment i can PREVENT it to begin with..

Thats the LAST thing I want to be worried about..;)

Sorry....I cannot endorse any king of "preventative" use of antibiotics. I'll just say three words - "Drug Resistant Strain" and ask how you, or your doctor, can responsibly say to take them in advance of symptoms.

If your system is that delicate.....don't travel to certain areas of the world. Stay home.

We used the hand sanitizer outside the dining room every meal and additionally used our hand wipes before eating as one has to use community serving pieces (especially at breakfast and lunch). We also chewed Pepto Bismol pills before meals. Neither of us got sick or felt "funny" as many many of our fellow passengers did. We noticed that the hand sanitizers were seldom used. The only time I felt slightly sick was immediately after a group lunch on the last tour day in Saigon where we were served family style and had no opportunity to wash hands. We also had other meds with us but never needed any. So if one is careful I do not see problems ahead for future passengers. If one reads the 2FLTravelers review you will notice she addresses this issue. By the way we ate all the food - raw fruits, vegetables - with no problems. Also we brushed our teeth with the bathroom tap water.