Anyone booted from a 4J less than 2 weeks out??

Eeyore_Lover

I fully understand the risk booking an accessible room, and would not have minded being asked to relocate, were the sailing not 10 days away. Even as recently as 2 weeks ago there were other 4Js available on Upper and Empress decks. But now I am being asked to move from 1003 on Panorama to either the Riviera or Main deck, and my only choices are 1312 and 2478.:(

Wow...Thats not good. Is there a price change? I am currently booked in a 4J room and I asked if it was HA and they said no so no worries there that there are 2 rooms beside me that are but not the 3 rooms that we booked. To bad you didn't get a great upgrade out of it....Hope you have a great trip!

I think Carnival should just hold onto these rooms and only allow those who need it to book it. It would stop all of this trouble.

Ditto!!! There are very few of these rooms for the truly disabled people who need them. I can't believe the poster who said those folks are just SOL if they don't book early enough. What a slap to disabled folks! Pathetic.......

My mom is in a wheelchair and we were very lucky she was able to get an accessible cabin last year. If no one was willing to move out of the HC cabins, she would have had to leave her electric wheelchair out in the hall or we would have had to carry her into the room and take the chair apart every time. My feeling is...if you don't need it, don't book it!!

I fully understand the risk booking an accessible room, and would not have minded being asked to relocate, were the sailing not 10 days away. Even as recently as 2 weeks ago there were other 4Js available on Upper and Empress decks. But now I am being asked to move from 1003 on Panorama to either the Riviera or Main deck, and my only choices are 1312 and 2478.:(

I had a handicapped 4K on the Legend (french door cabin) and we were bumped up to an 8C Balcony which we did not find out about until we were at the port processing. They said they need the cabin for someone handicapped within a week of sailing. Never got any phone call or email.

If I were you I would call and politely demand a cabin category equal to or better than the price you paid when you booked it not at the current prevailing price. Everyone knows you can get booted out of a handicapped cabin but they should accomodate you to an equal or better cabin category. Frankly they should not even put people in handicapped cabins unless they are handicapped or maybe at the last minute to fill the cabin.

The fact that they only have 4A or 4B cabins left for you in this situation is IMO unacceptable. If they really don't have anywhere else to put you (which I doubt) then I would expect some compensation in the form of OBC etc. for you having to settle for a less expensive cabin than what you booked and paid for.

Be polite but firm is my advice.

I guess I haven't done a good job of keeping up with the news lately. Which law are you referring to?

I'm at work and can't access regulations.gov cause we can't have adobe flash (eye roll). But here is an article referring to it:

http://blog.ctnews.com/robitaille/2010/06/18/new-law-will-make-cruise-ships-ferries-more-accessible/

In any case, it is not a new law. In fact, it is not a law at all. It is a regulation issued by DOT. Agencies issue regs all the time. I doubt if this new reg will have a very big effect on the mainstream cruise lines, who already do a great deal for the handicapped, but it is bound to have some small effects.

Bill

Still - the OP has reason to be frustrated. If Carnival knew that they had to follow the law, they should have done it earlier, allowing OP the option to accept a room on a higher floor. Waiting until the last minute is irresponsible and just causes stress for everyone - the OP, the handicapped person who needs the room, and the people who have to make those last minute calls. Also, they should have to provide you with at least a comparable room - and imho, an inside cabin is not comparable to a 4J - yes, same technical category, but c'mon! And that deck is way preferable to the Riv deck for access to activities.

You didnt say who you booked thru but I know I was looking at one once not knowing it was HC & my TA said that I could be moved.. I said that is fine, they would move me to equal or better right? And she told me not always, that more often than not you are actually downgraded :eek:

I guess that is a chance you take when you knowingly book a room you do not qualify for:confused:

1312 is an OV in a pretty good mid ship location. I would choose it over 2478 which will have a lot of vibration....

In any case, it is not a new law. In fact, it is not a law at all. It is a regulation issued by DOT. Agencies issue regs all the time. I doubt if this new reg will have a very big effect on the mainstream cruise lines, who already do a great deal for the handicapped, but it is bound to have some small effects.

Bill

Sorry, it's a federal RULE attached to the ADA. No, it won't have a big effect because cruiselines, for the most part, already try to make accessibility a must for the disabled. I was just pointing out to another poster on here that the line can't lie and say we don't have any Handicapped rooms available.

Sorry if I'm on my soapbox, but I'm a Nurse and staunch patient advocate:)

sorry I had a disabled parent, to me booking this type of room is like taking a handicapped parking spot if you are not handicapped. They are there for one reason to have it available for those who need it for the use it was intended. Carnival should of never let this room be booked for any other use but what it was intended to. i understand the whole business about sailing fully booked they are in the business to make money. but truly the OP was able to book it, it is not thier fault but bad business on Carnivals part.

If I were you I would call and politely demand a cabin category equal to or better than the price you paid when you booked it not at the current prevailing price.

Be polite but firm is my advice.

The OP was in an inside handicapped cabin and was moved to an oceanview.

A lot better then what she was booked.

IF you book a HC cabin they can move you up til sailing.. and you can get stuck with what you booked.

We were able to book friends into a HC cabin when these cabins were Cat 6 oceanview. We got a cabin on the Empress deck. People booked in that cabin got an oceanview cabin on the Main deck. same category cabin.

The OP was in an inside handicapped cabin and was moved to an oceanview.

A lot better then what she was booked.

IF you book a HC cabin they can move you up til sailing.. and you can get stuck with what you booked.

We were able to book friends into a HC cabin when these cabins were Cat 6 oceanview. We got a cabin on the Empress deck. People booked in that cabin got an oceanview cabin on the Main deck. same category cabin.

Not necessarily. I don't know specifically about this cruise but very often a 4J inside cabin costs more than a 6A oceanview.

Archived