Anyone booted from a 4J less than 2 weeks out??

Eeyore_Lover

No it would not break any laws. There ARE no HA rooms available. Nothing in the law says a person should be requred to move to accomodate another guests needs.

I would hope people would do it voluntarily. And I feel the cruise line should show their appreciation to those moving by providing a nice incentive in terms of an OBC or an upgraded room. Afterall, by increasing the number of total rooms sold so close to the sail date, Carnival is making more money.

Also, anyone with special needs should book reasonably in advance recognizing that there are limited numbers of accessible rooms available, like anyone else with a specific preference. if I want a certain room or location, I will book early.

If you noticed a post I made after that initial post, I corrected myself that it is a new Federal "Rule" that is attached to the ADA (Americans with dissabilities act) by the DOT. And I only brought the new rule up because another poster wondered why Carnival couldn't just lie and say there were no HC cabins available.

To address the 2nd part of your post, Carnival forewarns non-disabled folks that, should a disabled person need the room, Carnival reserves the right to move them to another room. That has nothing to do with laws, that's just Carnival's policy. And a damn good one, if you ask me.

If you noticed a post I made after that initial post, I corrected myself that it is a new Federal "Rule" that is attached to the ADA (Americans with dissabilities act) by the DOT. And I only brought the new rule up because another poster wondered why Carnival couldn't just lie and say there were no HC cabins available.

To address the 2nd part of your post, Carnival forewarns non-disabled folks that, should a disabled person need the room, Carnival reserves the right to move them to another room. That has nothing to do with laws, that's just Carnival's policy. And a damn good one, if you ask me.

I was never aware of the Carnival policy.....and I also agree with it. I also was not aware that passsengers were informed at time of booking. but I still wonder about the issue of the bumping happening so close to the sail date. You would think at some point they would freeze things after which a move would receive some consideration.

I personally cheer every time someone is bumped .. good for Carnival. ... I hope they do get a lesser cabin when they are moved. They take away cabins from HC folks who need them .. and dont care .. so why should I care if they are bumped. I say Yippee!!!

Such a wonderful attitude......cheering at someone else's possible misfortune. I bet you're the life of the party!

By law, they can not give someone a lower class (such as a 4A when a 4J was paid for) unless they refund part of the price. Otherwise it is bait and switch and anyone's 8A could become a 4A when you check in at port if such practices were legal.

What the....:confused:? I never once mentioned that I had any misfortunes. Just standing up for ADA. After reading all of your entries, I've decided to no longer argue/reason with you as you seem like a very angry individual or you simply just like to get your jollies by ruffling other folks feathers. I tend to think it's the latter, IMO. I've offered my rationale to the other posters and that suites me just fine:)

No, I don't really care to ruffle anyone's feathers, I'm just tired of listening to the "I'm special" or "Me first" asttitude so prevelant these days. Mjrich73 seems to think that it's should be my responsibility not to book a room that I am allowed to book instead of placing the blame with Carnival for the policies they have. It seems that those of us who are complying with Carnival policy are asses for doing so. When Carnival changes their policies, I will comply with those policies. But no one has the right to sit here and tell us we should not do something that Carnival allows us to do. If that ruffles your feathers or anyone else's feathers, well, then y'all are the ones with the problem, not me.

The Declaration of Independence is in effect the first official governing document of the United States of America because the Constitution was not adopted until 1787, 11 full years after we became a nation.

Eeek! The first governing document of the U.S. was the Articles of Confederation, sent to the states in 1777 and not completely ratified until 4 years later, although, oddly enough, the Continental Congress in effect operated under the Articles beginning already in 1777. The Declaration of Independence provided no governance arrangement whatsoever. It was only, as called, a declaration. Not on point for this thread, obviously, but let's try to keep the factual information factual!

Bill

No, I don't really care to ruffle anyone's feathers, I'm just tired of listening to the "I'm special" or "Me first" asttitude so prevelant these days. Mjrich73 seems to think that it's should be my responsibility not to book a room that I am allowed to book instead of placing the blame with Carnival for the policies they have. It seems that those of us who are complying with Carnival policy are asses for doing so. When Carnival changes their policies, I will comply with those policies. But no one has the right to sit here and tell us we should not do something that Carnival allows us to do. If that ruffles your feathers or anyone else's feathers, well, then y'all are the ones with the problem, not me.

I guess my moral compass points a little differently then yours! I don't understand why anyone would purposely take a HC cabin when they don't need it. There are so many other cabins for your to choose from...show some compassion! I hope you or one of your loved ones never needs one of these cabins. I am sure if you were in need of one, your tune would be completely different.

Or cause any problems but I do have a question.

Why does anyone that is handicapped think they do not need to plan ahead to get the cabin of their choice? If I want a balcony I must choose it prior to being sold out and the same with the cheapest rooms, why is a handicapped room any different? Why would anyone expect to swoop in at the last moment and get the cabin of their choice [choice for whatever reason]?

I am not trying to be rude or mean. I am just answering your questions. Here are some reasons I can come up for why some people has to book the last minute. And while I am not handicapped nor have any family members who are, I have friends who live in wheel chairs. They have to be carried to the bathroom, to bed, to cars, etc.

Not all of us are lucky enough to book a cruise months or even years in advance. If you are handicapped and only get to cruise with other family members you have to wait for them to work around their work schedules. I have friends who don't even know if their vacation time will be approved until 3 or 4 weeks before they can make plans to plan a vacation.

Or it could be a matter of finances. Some people do depend on getting their tax refunds or a settlement check before they can book their last minute cruise.

I guess my moral compass points a little differently then yours! I don't understand why anyone would purposely take a HC cabin when they don't need it.

I would suggest you talk about your moral compass with Carnival as it is their rule that anyone can book any cabin, not mine. And why you would insinuate that I am bad person because I follow the rules is beyond me, but you go ahead and think what you want.

There are so many other cabins for your to choose from...show some compassion! I hope you or one of your loved ones never needs one of these cabins. I am sure if you were in need of one, your tune would be completely different.

Well, since you don't know me from Adam, it's funny how you can speculate that my point of view would be different if I were in a wheelchair, as if everyone who is disabled all of a sudden thinks that they are special and deserve special treatment. Simply put, I am no more special than the next person even though I am disabled (though not in a wheelchair yet) nor do I deserve any special perks. If I find myself in a wheelchair and in "need" of such a room, I will do due diligence and plan far enough ahead so as to find a cabin available instead of waiting till the last minute and pushing someone else out. If a cabin was not available, then there are many other methods of vacationing in this great world of ours.

I guess my moral compass points a little differently then yours! I don't understand why anyone would purposely take a HC cabin when they don't need it. There are so many other cabins for your to choose from...show some compassion! I hope you or one of your loved ones never needs one of these cabins. I am sure if you were in need of one, your tune would be completely different.

I am not sure that - when booking online - it is obvious to me tha tthe cabin is designated HA.

I am not sure that - when booking online - it is obvious to me tha tthe cabin is designated HA.

When you go to book a HA cabin on Carnival, this pops up on the screen where you fill in your personal info...

Advisory

1188: You have confirmed a modified cabin. Please note that you may be moved to a category of equal value, so that we may accommodate our wheelchair guests.

I totally agree with you. There would be a lot of yelling and kicking if the situation were reversed.

I think it is totally selfish for someone to book a HC cabin when in fact it is not needed. Even booking and knowing that there could be a move by the cruiseline, the OP gambled and lost! So, isn't that a shame!!

For those of you who feel people who are handicapped should book way in advance, you are depriving them of getting a last minute sale that you as a non-handicapped person can take advantage of. How fair is that?

I'm sorry that the cruise lines had to be forced to make these changes, but I, for one, am happy that the HC people have the opportunity to cruise just as you and I have. There are selfish people all over the world and feel they are entitled and contrary to what the OP said about how HC people feel they are owed something, they (the one who knowingly books a HC) seem to be the one with the feeling of entitlement. There are people who look for every loophole possible and then blame it on the cruiseline, never themselves.

I wish the cruiselines didn't assign HC rooms to anyone without the form that has to be filled out. In the event the HC cabins aren't all used by a day or two before a cruise, then the cruiseline could upgrade someone to one of these rooms, but not before then. JMO.

I totally agree with you. There would be a lot of yelling and kicking if the situation were reversed.

I think it is totally selfish for someone to book a HC cabin when in fact it is not needed. Even booking and knowing that there could be a move by the cruiseline, the OP gambled and lost! So, isn't that a shame!!

For those of you who feel people who are handicapped should book way in advance, you are depriving them of getting a last minute sale that you as a non-handicapped person can take advantage of. How fair is that?

I'm sorry that the cruise lines had to be forced to make these changes, but I, for one, am happy that the HC people have the opportunity to cruise just as you and I have. There are selfish people all over the world and feel they are entitled and contrary to what the OP said about how HC people feel they are owed something, they (the one who knowingly books a HC) seem to be the one with the feeling of entitlement. There are people who look for every loophole possible and then blame it on the cruiseline, never themselves.

I wish the cruiselines didn't assign HC rooms to anyone without the form that has to be filled out. In the event the HC cabins aren't all used by a day or two before a cruise, then the cruiseline could upgrade someone to one of these rooms, but not before then. JMO.

Sounds more like you're trying to state a fact about people that you know absolutely nothing about, not a opinion <JMO>.

Talk about placing blame....you want to blame people who are following the rules instead of blaming the people who have created the rules. That would be like blaming the guy driving 25 mph in a 25 mph zone instead of blaming the guy who put a 25 mph sign in what should be a 45 mph zone!

Simply put, if I'm a bastard for following the rules, then I guess I'll just have to be a bastard and you'll just have to live with it. If you want something to change in this situation, I'd suggest you talk to Carnival as I'm too busy just being a bastard! Enough said!

Sounds more like you're trying to state a fact about people that you know absolutely nothing about, not a opinion <JMO>.

Talk about placing blame....you want to blame people who are following the rules instead of blaming the people who have created the rules. That would be like blaming the guy driving 25 mph in a 25 mph zone instead of blaming the guy who put a 25 mph sign in what should be a 45 mph zone!

Simply put, if I'm a bastard for following the rules, then I guess I'll just have to be a bastard and you'll just have to live with it. If you want something to change in this situation, I'd suggest you talk to Carnival as I'm too busy just being a bastard! Enough said!

Just for the record .. there is no rule saying anyone can book a HC cabin ...its allowed because no one stops you from taking it ..hardly a rule. Im embarassed for all the people justifying their bad behavior ..because they can. Thats what Im hearing. I can, so I will keep on being selfish. That song .. its all about me, me, me comes to mind. They just dont get how they sound.

On paper one of our DD's would qualify for the HC cabin but I am so glad that she really doesn't need one that I would never even consider booking one.

So those of you who would never think of booking a HC room when not needed have never...not once... used a handicapped stall in the bathroom? Someone may come in and need it while you are using it.

Would it be acceptable for a handicapped person to start yelling, screaming and cursing for you to get out now because they need it?

Just as it would be rude to jump into the HC stall when it is needed.

What happened to common courtesy? Honestly I think it's a dying art.

You book a handicapped room with the understanding you may have to be bumped if it's needed. Should you be downgraded, No! It should be at least equal.

Does anyone think Carnival seriously will allow these cabins to stay empty on the off chance a handicapped person will need it?

And before anyone says a thing, my niece is handicapped. When taking her to the bathroom, we will jump the line and head to the handicapped stall. That's why it's there.

Same goes for HC room. If we need it, we will jump the line...per Carnival's rules... and book it. Even if it means someone else has to move.

Again common courtesy.

So those of you who would never think of booking a HC room when not needed have never...not once... used a handicapped stall in the bathroom? Someone may come in and need it while you are using it.

If there were plenty of available stalls, no, I wouldn't. In this discussion, the objections are being raised towards able bodied people who have plenty of other cabin options, but choose the HA cabins because they are larger for the same price. If they don't know they are HA cabins, or there are no other available cabins, that's NOT the same thing.

Carnival need to make the fact a lot clearer that 4J are HC.........

Mj's post above shows you that when booking, you will get a warning if it's HA. How much clearer do y'all need this to be?:confused:

"When you go to book a HA cabin on Carnival, this pops up on the screen where you fill in your personal info...

Advisory

1188: You have confirmed a modified cabin. Please note that you may be moved to a category of equal value, so that we may accommodate our wheelchair guests. "

Archived