Anyone booted from a 4J less than 2 weeks out??

Eeyore_Lover

No, I am not kidding with you. And please enlighten me as to how you made the jump from HA cabins on a cruise ship to HC parking spots in front of Walmart?? Maybe you should get a grip and stick with the facts and stated thoughts instead of jumping off the deep end before you start ranting at others. I have the right to stay in any cabin that any cruise line is willing to sell me, who are you to take that right away? Most cruise lines (there may be some that don't) want their ships to sail full, immaterial of who is in what cabin. They are a business out to make a profit, period. If they only allow handicapped people access to HA rooms then ships would not sail full sometimes. Obviously, since they sell HA rooms to non-HC people, they agree with my philosophy. If you have a problem with that philosophy, then you should take it up with the people that make those rules, the cruise line, not with the consumer who is playing by the established rules, moi.

And I bet , god forbid, if something happened to you and you were in a wheelchair and couldn't get a HA cabin, you'd be barking and ranting at whomever you could find, demanding your rights.

And the other poster's comments about handicapped parking was a perfect comparison to your warped logic.

I fully understand the risk booking an accessible room, and would not have minded being asked to relocate, were the sailing not 10 days away. Even as recently as 2 weeks ago there were other 4Js available on Upper and Empress decks. But now I am being asked to move from 1003 on Panorama to either the Riviera or Main deck, and my only choices are 1312 and 2478.:(

In re-reading your OP, I'm not sure you do "fully understand the risk," as you would have been aware that you could have been bumped at any time up until the sailing. What is your specific objection to being bumped 10 days from sailing rather than 14 days from sailing? From what others have posted (I didn't confirm), you were given a perfectly wonderful cabin in exchange. If for some reason you were downgraded, I agree that there should be a refund of the difference in price.

Personally, I would rather have either of those cabins you referenced than ever have to NEED a HA cabin.

We sail in 8 days in a 4J cabin. We had booked an inside on the Main deck. About a month ago I got a e-mail from Carnival to upgrade to a higher deck for $40.00 (per cabin). When I called to upgrade I was offered this cabin. Until reading this thread, today, I had no idea that our cabin was HC. It does not show HC on the carnival site nor was I told by the the PVP of this fact. I took this cabin because it is forward and that is our favorite location of ships. I would be upset to have to move cabins if I was not offered a cabin of equal (or better) quality that was not forward.

And before I get flamed..... My DH does have a medical condition that at this time does not require a wheelchair but the extra hand rails come in very handy at times.

Yes I would give up the cabin if needed by a person in a wheelchair, but Carnival need to make the fact a lot clearer that 4J are HC.........

It really comes down to a matter of choice, and $$. A non-disabled person, if $$ were not an issue, could choose any cabin on the ship that is available, from the highest price suite to the lowest price inside closet. If a non-disabled person tried to book at the last minute -- and $$ were not an issue -- he still could choose among whatever cabins were available. And if the one specific cabin he wanted wasn't available, there might be others, somewhat less desireable, that he could book.

A disabled person, on the other hand...specifically a disabled person who needs the features of a handicap-accessible cabin (and note here, not all disabled persons need those features) -- could only choose among the handicap-cabins available on any particular cruise ship. And generally those number 20 or less. So there isn't a choice among high -priced suites to lowest priced closets. There are only those 20 or fewer accessible cabins. And if they're already booked by non-disabled persons, and the cruise line isn't willing to move them to another cabin (or the non-disabled person isn't willing to move!), then the disabled person doesn't cruise.

The OP knew what he booked -- an accessible cabin. He was told he might be moved. The cruise hasn't happened yet...and he was moved. AGain, WHAT IS THE ISSUE, HERE????

We sail in 8 days in a 4J cabin. We had booked an inside on the Main deck. About a month ago I got a e-mail from Carnival to upgrade to a higher deck for $40.00 (per cabin). When I called to upgrade I was offered this cabin. Until reading this thread, today, I had no idea that our cabin was HC. It does not show HC on the carnival site nor was I told by the the PVP of this fact. I took this cabin because it is forward and that is our favorite location of ships. I would be upset to have to move cabins if I was not offered a cabin of equal (or better) quality that was not forward.

And before I get flamed..... My DH does have a medical condition that at this time does not require a wheelchair but the extra hand rails come in very handy at times.

Yes I would give up the cabin if needed by a person in a wheelchair, but Carnival need to make the fact a lot clearer that 4J are HC.........

Not all 4J cabins are HA . . . my sister is booked in a 4J on the Valor Lido deck. 2 of the 4j on this deck are HA and one is not. It's quite possible the one you booked is not. When booking my other sister has 4 in her group and our TA was insistent that the quad 4J rooms onthe Panororamic were not HA cabins, even went so far as to call Carnival on a conference call . . . they also said not HA cabins. However when we actually went to book the cabin (1003) the system wouldn't let the TA book the room. After talking to 3 Carnival Reps we finally confirmed that it was in fact a HA room.

I guess my only reason for even posting here . . . and it's not to be flamed. . . is that a) there are 4J cabins that are not HA b) sometimes unknowing people book rooms with infomration from TAs and Carnival that is wrong and no fault of their own. I do however after reading this thread know why I only have 250 posts after 5 years! Everyone gets to have opinions . . BUT everyone does not have to be RUDE!

in re-reading your op, i'm not sure you do "fully understand the risk," as you would have been aware that you could have been bumped at any time up until the sailing. What is your specific objection to being bumped 10 days from sailing rather than 14 days from sailing? From what others have posted (i didn't confirm), you were given a perfectly wonderful cabin in exchange. If for some reason you were downgraded, i agree that there should be a refund of the difference in price.

Personally, i would rather have either of those cabins you referenced than ever have to need a ha cabin.

perfect !

Please, cruisecritic community, we'll get nowhere if we keep flaming everyone. Let's build people up, and not tear them down.

Eeyore_Lover, just to reiterate (because I don't want you feeling bad about yourself or your situation), either of the 2 options they gave you are great options, and I think that either would be even better than what you had. You'll have a true oceanview room, unobstructed & private, with 2 beds that can be pushed together. It is further to get to lido deck/buffet/waterslides, but you're closer to the dining rooms and promenade. So you lose some advantages, but you gain others.

Grea attitudes . Too bad everyone wasn't like this !

Charleyann

We have a 4J on the Destiny B2B cruise. They are not handicapped but I would not mind at all to be moved to an AFT OV. I only booked the 4J due to the price difference. OP I would jump at the chance to have a AFT OV cabin. Those are my preference, if I am not getting a balcony. I understand you frustration about being moved, but I have always been told that if I booked a HA that I could be moved. As soon as I found out it was HA, I said nope...give me another Cabin. My Mom has to use a walker/ scooter for distances and I would love to see her cruise with us one day. I am pleased to know of this new law/ rule that would allow her to sail.

A "little white lie" is something that is told to be tactful or spare someone's feelings from hurt. When you tell an untruth to get your way or further your own ends at someone else's expense, that's called a LIE.

Um the last I checked any untrue statement is a LIE. It does not matter the reason.

Um the last I checked any untrue statement is a LIE. It does not matter the reason.

Sorry, whether you like it or not, the reason does matter for the purpose of distinguishing the term "white lie" from "lie." It has a different definition because it is different from the typical kind of lie, which is told for completely self serving reasons. One does not tell a "white lie" to get a handicapped cabin when one is not handicapped. A "white lie" is an untruth told to spare someone's feelings i.e. "No, you don't look really fat." The difference is in intent. If you want to be brutally honest always and don't care if you hurt someone, go for it. You certainly won't be the only one, but to pretend that there is no such thing as the distinction between the two words is disingenuous. :rolleyes:

Or cause any problems but I do have a question.

Why does anyone that is handicapped think they do not need to plan ahead to get the cabin of their choice? If I want a balcony I must choose it prior to being sold out and the same with the cheapest rooms, why is a handicapped room any different? Why would anyone expect to swoop in at the last moment and get the cabin of their choice [choice for whatever reason]?

Funny - I was thinking something similar, but from the other side of the fence.

My Mom lives reasonably close to the Florida ports, and she is "undeniably, certifiably and reliably" handicapped/mobility impaired. No problem with documentation. IF I showed up in a couple weeks and decided to take her on a last minute cruise, does this mean she is entitled to bump someone (able bodied) out of an HA room as long as there is a room for them to switch into? That just can't be right...although if it is....hmmm....

I don't think the OP's complaint was that she was being moved - it was that the move was happening so late in the game, and all of the preferable (to her) options were gone. I don't blame her for having her nose out of joint.

Maddle

PS - I do hope someone has that answer - it could open up all kinds of options for my mother if it is true. (and I am saying that in a nice, not facetious, way.)

^^^^From what another poster says about the new regs, yes, that could conceivably happen. Which is why able bodied passengers wishing to book HA rooms should be informed beforehand that this could happen, preferably in writing as well as verbally. If they then verbalize the desire to take their chances, fine. But it shouldn't happen to someone who is placed into a HA room without even realizing that is what they have booked, imo.

Who knows, maybe this scenario doesn't even come up very often. I have no idea as I have never booked a HA room nor been given one without knowing that the room is designed for the handicapped.

As far as your mom goes, who knows? From what I understand, there aren't that many HA rooms to begin with, so there is no guarantee those rooms wouldn't already be booked by disabled passengers well before sailing.

we got bumped out of HC room too. DH has handicap but not in a wheelchair so we took another room. We could have kept it and filled out the form but I said not if its a wheelchair room. (which we didn't know). heck at least we are still on the ship.;)

HC Cabins and HC parking spaces are made for HC people...not first come first serve. Do you park in an HC parking space, just because no one is already parked in it?

No, because that is a violation of the law and I would be ticketed. You want to compare that to conceding to someone's wishes?

I have said that I do not believe Carnival should be booking these rooms to anyone other than those who are HC.

Then I guess you need to get on the phone with Carnival and start complaining to them about their business practices instead of complaining to me, I'm just following what they say I can do.

I have no issue with those who are assigned that room when booking a guarantee cabin or offering up the cabin close to sail date. I do have a problem with those who are not HC and purposely choose these cabins for the extra space.

And how do you propose to tell the difference between the two??? Are you going to walk up to each person who walks out of an HA cabin and ask if they are disable and if not, were they assigned that cabin or did they specifically ask for it?

My mom is in a wheelchair and would not be able to cruise if a HC cabin was not available...if we wait to late and they are all taken by HC passengers then it's our fault, but if it's taken by those who don't need it that is where the problem is.

Truthfully, I'm sorry your mother is in a wheelchair but your beef is with Carnival, not me. Feel free to start a campaign, letters, phone calls, picketing if you choose, to get them to change their practices. But please don't think for one minute you have the right to come here and berate people because they are following the stated practices of a company. If you want to cruise and assure yourself of an HA cabin, plan ahead, call ahead, find out cruise release dates and call on that date (I've done it before, nothing like having a whole ship to pick from!). Then you will have your HA cabin. If you wait past the initial opening date, then it is your fault for not planning ahead when you know you have special needs and you know what the rules are and THAT is where the problem is, personal responsibility for one's self.

And I bet , god forbid, if something happened to you and you were in a wheelchair and couldn't get a HA cabin, you'd be barking and ranting at whomever you could find, demanding your rights.

And the other poster's comments about handicapped parking was a perfect comparison to your warped logic.

Wow, you really don't know when to stop. Do you wish to pay up on losing that bet now or later (I too am disabled or so the VA tells me)?? Simply put, I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Those are all of the rights I have. Period, End of story. No ifs, ands, or buts. I don't demand anything from anyone. I will say I tired of people like you who think because of the misfortune in their lives that everyone else must owe them something. And the other poster's comments about HC parking are completely invalid and you are trying to compare breaking the law with following the rules. While my logic may be warped, it would seem you have no logic at all, but that 's what I perceive from most people who don't care what they have to do to get their own way. Again, good luck getting Carnival to change their rules. And I'll follow their rules however they write them.

Simply put, I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Those are all of the rights I have. Period, End of story

Some people really need to review their American history. Who exactly gave you those rights? The United States Congress, the Continental Congress, God? For goodness sakes, it was in a proclamation explaining why the American colonies were at war with England; it was not a statute in any sense, giving you rights or taking them away. Now, the Bill of Rights or, in fact, the whole Constitution could reasonably be claimed to give you rights, assuming you are a U.S. citizen. But the Declaration of Independence? Even Thomas Jefferson, who largely wrote the Declaration, admitted that it was "intended to be an expression of the American mind." No more than that.

Bill

We have a 4J booked on our upcoming cruise, and it is a HC room. However, I chose the room based on the 4J description (not all 4Js are HCA) and the location of the room. I was not aware that it was HC until we booked. We still want to take our chance and we understand that we might be bumped.

And you cannot compare booking HCA rooms to HC parking. Parking in a HC spot when you are not HC is a violation of the law, and you can be fined. Booking and/or staying in a HCA room on a cruise ship is not a violation of the law. I like to compare it to the HC stall in the restroom. If no one is in there, I have every right to use it.

I haven't said anything on here about personally booking a HCA room for fear of being flamed, but I'm definitely not the type of person who won't happily give it up to someone who does need it. I'm not about to ruin someone's vacation because I wanted a nice corner room by the "secret door", and it won't ruin mine.

Some people really need to review their American history. Who exactly gave you those rights? The United States Congress, the Continental Congress, God? For goodness sakes, it was in a proclamation explaining why the American colonies were at war with England; it was not a statute in any sense, giving you rights or taking them away. Now, the Bill of Rights or, in fact, the whole Constitution could reasonably be claimed to give you rights, assuming you are a U.S. citizen. But the Declaration of Independence? Even Thomas Jefferson, who largely wrote the Declaration, admitted that it was "intended to be an expression of the American mind." No more than that.

Bill

I know my American history and I know those words came from the Declaration of Independance. The point to show is that we don't have a right to dedicated parking spaces, a trophy for every kid who plays in a sport, to push someone else out of the way if we truly want something, to and HA cabin, etc...... We have a right to work hard and hopefully get rewarded for that work, nothing else. But as you quoted from one of my favorite presidents (we share birthdays), I am an American, I have a mind, and this is my expression.

And by the way, Abraham Lincoln also derived from the document the reasoning for the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863, granting freedom to the slaves because "All men are created equal". So if you want to throw out the life, liberty, and pursuit happiness part from the document, I'm guessing you want to bring back slavery because the all men are created equal isn't valid either??? The Declaration of Independence is in effect the first official governing document of the United States of America because the Constitution was not adopted until 1787, 11 full years after we became a nation.

I personally cheer every time someone is bumped .. good for Carnival. ... I hope they do get a lesser cabin when they are moved. They take away cabins from HC folks who need them .. and dont care .. so why should I care if they are bumped. I say Yippee!!!

Wow, you really don't know when to stop. Do you wish to pay up on losing that bet now or later (I too am disabled or so the VA tells me)?? Simply put, I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Those are all of the rights I have. Period, End of story. No ifs, ands, or buts. I don't demand anything from anyone. I will say I tired of people like you who think because of the misfortune in their lives that everyone else must owe them something. And the other poster's comments about HC parking are completely invalid and you are trying to compare breaking the law with following the rules. While my logic may be warped, it would seem you have no logic at all, but that 's what I perceive from most people who don't care what they have to do to get their own way. Again, good luck getting Carnival to change their rules. And I'll follow their rules however they write them.

What the....:confused:? I never once mentioned that I had any misfortunes. Just standing up for ADA. After reading all of your entries, I've decided to no longer argue/reason with you as you seem like a very angry individual or you simply just like to get your jollies by ruffling other folks feathers. I tend to think it's the latter, IMO. I've offered my rationale to the other posters and that suites me just fine:)

Do not disagree (although wishing them a worse cabin seems a little harsh).

They knew or should have known the risks of booking a HA cabin.

The booking agent is required to advise the pax that they may be moved if they choose to book the HC cabin.

It pops up on their screen to read to the person doing the booking .. so they knew when they booked they could be moved to whatever was left and still choose to book the HC cabin. Why would anyone feel sorry for them?? I dont get it. They rolled the dice knowing the risk and lost, even if you dont count taking it from a HC pax possibly, because they dont always move folks out, and able bodied count on this.

That would be breaking the new federal law that took effect this week.

No it would not break any laws. There ARE no HA rooms available. Nothing in the law says a person should be requred to move to accomodate another guests needs.

I would hope people would do it voluntarily. And I feel the cruise line should show their appreciation to those moving by providing a nice incentive in terms of an OBC or an upgraded room. Afterall, by increasing the number of total rooms sold so close to the sail date, Carnival is making more money.

Also, anyone with special needs should book reasonably in advance recognizing that there are limited numbers of accessible rooms available, like anyone else with a specific preference. if I want a certain room or location, I will book early.

I feel the cruise line should show their appreciation to those moving by providing a nice incentive in terms of an OBC or an upgraded room. Afterall, by increasing the number of total rooms sold so close to the sail date, Carnival is making more money. .

Just playing the devil's advocate here ... but wouldnt rewarding those who book a HC cabin who are able bodied only encourage this type of behavior even more??

People often already are rewarded though, and that is why they do book HC cabins .. hoping to be bumped to a better cabin. Its a game for many. Ill do other things to get a better cabin, but not this.

Archived