Criticisms of Rotterdam in September

HappyInVan

The Italian food in the Canaletto left much to be desired, but the Tiramisu was excellent. Went back to the Canaletto twice more just because of the Tiramisu.

Remember, most of the stops in South America are tourist stops, thus the ports have very little for cruise ships.

You cannot compare ports that only see a handful of cruise ships per year with ports that see two or three a day.

I enjoyed the Costa Rica stop, it was interesting, see the crocodiles, birds, feeding the monkeys.

stan:cool:

The Italian food in the Canaletto left much to be desired, but the Tiramisu was excellent. Went back to the Canaletto twice more just because of the Tiramisu.

Rotterdam's tiramisù may have been delicious for an american/rest of the world taste but, believe me, it is no where like the real one :)

The one we make at home, here in italy, is made of savoiardi biscuits, raw egg yolks, mascarpone cheese (not the kind of substitute you find around the world), real espresso coffee made with moka machine and marsala wine.

Blend sugar and egg yolks until they are a fluffy cream (I use icing sugar to avoid "sandy" sugar effect)

add mascarpone and let it rest

in the meantime soak (not too much) the savoiardi in a mix of marsala and coffee (cold)

make one layer of soaked biscuits, top with mascarpone/egg cream, dust with cocoa

Go on for three (not more, if it is too heavy it collapses ending up in a mashed mix) layers.

Keep in fridge for a couple of hours before serving, not more.

And, it is my favourite too :

http://www.heavenlytiramisu.com/recipes.htm

Rotterdam's tiramisù may have been delicious for an american/rest of the world taste but, believe me, it is no where like the real one :)

/quote]

fayruz,

There is no chance that HAL will do the real thing. I almost choked when I sampled the three-tiramasu dessert in the Pinnacle.

Sad fact is that HAL hires people who have never tasted the real deal.

/quote]

fayruz,

There is no chance that HAL will do the real thing. I almost choked when I sampled the three-tiramasu dessert in the Pinnacle.

Sad fact is that HAL hires people who have never tasted the real deal.

yes, it is a pity. Tiramisù is so easy to make that it is the first thing italian mammas teach their girls.

A man's heart is conquered through his mouth :)

[quote name='Palmetto Lady']I'm sure you do. And I'm sure that even in Italy, it varies from place to place and that people have individual preferences as to seasonings, etc.[/quote]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]The food in Canoletto isn't real Italian at all...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]...It's Italian/American - glorified Olive Garden fare.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='bepsf'][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]The food in Canoletto isn't real Italian at all...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]...It's Italian/American - glorified Olive Garden fare.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Seasoned to taste by cooks from SEAsia.....No really to my taste at all. Give me Olive Garden instead, anyday! But what I really want is another pizza from a wonderful little river side cafe near St Peters in Rome. We found it a few a few years ago just wandering around! Asolutely to die for!

Archived