Suggestions for those invaluable things to pack ?

Groliv

I second the over-the-door shoe holder and pop up hamper. Both can be bought cheaply at WalMart and pack small.

I'll add pads/tampons to the list. Even if you're not due for a few weeks. They are EXPENSIVE and there's no selection whatsoever.

A lot of great tips here.....the highlighter is a must for me (so I don't miss anything). I always bring a spare pair of contact lenses, just in case. A pair of binoculars for the DH and this next cruise I get to bring my new Kindle Ereader, so I have all of my books with me! Ooooh, and lots of batteries for the camera cause I take LOTS of pictures! Have fun everyone!

I second the over-the-door shoe holder and pop up hamper. Both can be bought cheaply at WalMart and pack small.

I'll add pads/tampons to the list. Even if you're not due for a few weeks. They are EXPENSIVE and there's no selection whatsoever.

This is a great tip. On our Alaska cruise this past August my DD 10 started her period for the first time and we had nothing.

The ship was in Victoria B.C. and the ships gift shop was not open. The little store out on the dock didn't have anything.

Finally Guest Relations located a box of panti liners for me, it was better than nothing and a lifesaver until we got to the airport the next morning. Now I keep a box in the suitecase.

I always take Post It Notes since hubby and I like to do different things and we can give each other updates on where we are and when we will be back....just write it out and post it on the mirror. Also highlighter is great for marking what you want to do the next day!!!

My two must-haves on a cruise are a very small over the shoulder purse (just large enough to hold my camera, some tissues, maybe a lipstick, and my room key), and a watch. Most people don't wear watches anymore, and rely on their cell phones for the time. However, I don't even turn my cell phone on while cruising, and I want to make sure to get to dinner, activities and shows on time.

-Empty plastic bags (saved from grocery shopping). These are great for packing dirty sandy flip flops, etc. on return trip.

-empty beach bag. I picked up cheap one from cvs, balled it up very small in suitcase the brought it out for excursions.

-small pad of note paper and pen (may need to leave notes for traveling companions or housekeeper.)

On my recent cruise I wished I had brought sone dial hand soap for the bathroom. We had hand sanitizer and bar soap but not liquid soap. Next time I will bring some.

ITA re anti-diarrhea medicine (otc). It's very expensive in ports!!!

Blanca

I have picked up so many helpful ideas on CC. Some items stay in the suitcase for the next trip (power strip, night light, over the door shoe rack). None of these take up much space and definitely get used every day! Last week I really used my sports bottle, but I think I'll leave my coffee cup at home next time. A good cork screw is a must for us!

The liquid hand soap just made my list. I found myself having to get body wash out of the shower to wash my hands all week, still didn't think of an alternative until I read the last post.

My two favorite tips are these:

1. When using an inside room it can get difficult to tell night from day. So at night when you go to bed, turn ON the tv to the channel that shows the front of the ship. At night the channel shows dark, in the morning the tv slowly gets brighter as the sun rises. This works especially well for the day you disembark.

2. Bring plastic travel coffee containers. It is so nice to be able to have a larger coffee at your fingertips :)

Post-it notes in case you need to let someone else in your party know where you are or where you are going to be. We use these on every cruise and post them on the mailbox outside the door. Great when you have multiple cabins located in the same general area.

Great tips from everyone, most were things I always pack as a 17 cruise veteran. I don't stay in an inside cabin due to claustrophobia and wasn't aware of the TV thing. That is great. We do use the cont'l breakfast tab on the door at night for ordering coffee to the cabin every morning as a wake up call and have our first coffee while getting dressed.

For a balcony cabin, I pack an 8" by 3/4" piece of a wooden dowed rod and store it with my "cruise stuff" when not traveling. I pop it in between the hinges on the balcony door if I want to prop it open. I don't like the bungee cords for safety reasons.

A couple of more items I didn't see yet on this thread are:

an eyeglass repair ket

extra over the counter eyeglasses in case you lose your good ones.

extra film or camera cards

plug in night light/air freshener - dual purpose

Oh, I also bring the sticky notes, but new cruisers may not be aware that there is voicemail on your cabin phone. You can call and leave a message on the cabin phone from any phone on the ship. Comes in handy when you get separated or if someone forgets when and where to meet. Saves a lot of jangled nerves and confusion.

A lot of great tips here.....the highlighter is a must for me (so I don't miss anything). I always bring a spare pair of contact lenses' date=' just in case. A pair of binoculars for the DH and this next cruise I get to bring my new Kindle Ereader, so I have all of my books with me! Ooooh, and lots of batteries for the camera cause I take LOTS of pictures! Have fun everyone![/quote']

I agree with the extra contact lenses. One of my boys ripped on of his on our first cruise and he is blind as a bat without them....now we always take an extra pair (of course have never had to use them).

Archived