Diamond out of drydock and on the move.

Colo Cruiser

Hi Keith,

Is there any way of knowing exactly what gets done in drydock with the ships? I hear the Sapphire is going into Drydock in 2012 and being the sister ship to the Diamond would imagine they will get the same upgrades. Curious if they are getting the IC? I read a post that suggested they may not. That is one of the features I did like when I cruised the Crown.

Hi Keith,

Is there any way of knowing exactly what gets done in drydock with the ships? I hear the Sapphire is going into Drydock in 2012 and being the sister ship to the Diamond would imagine they will get the same upgrades. Curious if they are getting the IC? I read a post that suggested they may not. That is one of the features I did like when I cruised the Crown.

I was thinking the same thing and hope that IC is on the Diamond and Sapphire.

Hi Keith,

I was thinking the same thing and hope that IC is on the Diamond and Sapphire.

According to the new brochures showing the updated layout Sterling Steakhouse relocation, Vines, and the IC are not among the upgrades done during the drydock. We'll see when someone is actually on the ship and reports since Princess has been silent.

According to the new brochures showing the updated layout Sterling Steakhouse relocation, Vines, and the IC are not among the upgrades done during the drydock. We'll see when someone is actually on the ship and reports since Princess has been silent.

aaaah - maybe not good news. I loved the IC on the newer ships. So afraid that the main thing they have upgraded is adding the, to me, dreaded MUTS to my "Sapphire"

Hi Keith,

Since Princess did not do their usual blog on the drydock progress I guess we will have to wait until someone posts after their sailing.

PIA on the Sapphire live says that it will get the IC update when the Sapphire drydocks. So I have no clue whats going to be or has been done. :(

Golden/Caribbean.

Star?

Thanks Colo, I couldn't remember (must be close to bedtime here my brain is going numb). ;) I guess my question is related to that last question. If they added the IC to the Golden, and possibly the Star, why aren't they adding it to the Diamond (and it's still questionable if the Sapphire will receive it). If there was space to add it on the Grand Class ships, the larger ships there should be plenty of space shouldn't there?

Per the map in the 2011 Alaska brochure:

Sanctuary has replaced Center Court and the jogging track, neither of which seem to have been placed elsewhere.

No IC or Vines

Sterling Steakhouse is in the rear of the buffet seating area, starboard side

MUTS has been added above Neptune's pool

Hi Keith,

I notice on the other thread that the Diamond was down for 2 weeks and the Sapphire is scheduled to be down for 3. I'm assuming those dates are out of service dates, and not actual drydock time, so the difference could be accounted for in travel time to/from the drydock location, but it makes me wonder if the Sapphire is getting anything else done that the Diamond didn't.

From my contacts I have heard that IC and Vines were not added due to timing and the Dia/Saph having a different "behind the scenes" layout from other Grand / Super Grand Class ships.

What I have heard is the Wheelhouse lounge has replaced the Internet Cafe, Internet Cafe is now in the Card Room area (similar to the other Grands) and the old Wheelhouse location is now Crown Grill. Sterling Steakhouse is gone. MUTS and Santuary have been added per other Grand Class ships.

The Alaska 2011 brochure deck plans I have been told are wrong so we will have to wait for Princess to update the web site (which will take two or three months) or hear from Diamond passengers soon!

Only 8 days until a week on the CROWN! YEA!

Princess should have listened to us about IC and Vines, seems like everyone wants it :)

Some boats are easier to retrofit than others. It may be logistically difficult to pull off that this time as far as plumbing goes.

What I have heard is the Wheelhouse lounge has replaced the Internet Cafe, Internet Cafe is now in the Card Room area (similar to the other Grands) and the old Wheelhouse location is now Crown Grill. Sterling Steakhouse is gone. MUTS and Santuary have been added per other Grand Class ships.

If true, too bad. I loved the Wheelhouse in the 7 forward location. It was nice and big and bright. And I liked the internet cafe in that midship location. On the flip side, I never really liked Sterlings looking like an afterthought up in the Horizon Court, so a new Crown Grill will be a plus.

If they have aship down for 2 weeks, believe me, they will work on it the entire time round the clock. Sapphire may be getting engine work or more extensive steelwork somewhere. These shipsa are all about $$ and if they can work on them while sailing they will. Aircraft are the same way and having worked on them I can tell you. If it can be deferred, it will. If it needs to be done on the ramp such as lubrication changing filters, inspections, it is done on the ramp between flights, 120 degrees or -15. It doesnt matter. When a ship is in port the work goes on. At night they scrub decks even underway.

If no IC we will be very disappointed. We will be on the Diamond for 39 days in April/May. Loved the IC, will be a :( sail without it.

They did a great job putting the IC on the Star, looking forward to it again early December.

I'm not totally convinced that the Internet Cafe moved. I was speaking to a Princess online support rep and had them try to find me the answer. She ended up emailing me back and this is her response...

Hello Michael,

The Diamond Princess received the Movies Under the Stars screen. Plus the normal repainting that goes on. The steakhouse is still a part of the Horizon court and the internet cafe is still on Deck 7.

Regards,

Kelli

I will be on board starting Dec 5, and will report back, but doesn't look promising.

I will be on board starting Dec 5, and will report back, but doesn't look promising.

Will be watching for your post. Please do remember to report back.

We are so spoiled with the IC, don't want to sail without it.;)

Since Princess did not do their usual blog on the drydock progress I guess we will have to wait until someone posts after their sailing.

PIA on the Sapphire live says that it will get the IC update when the Sapphire drydocks. So I have no clue whats going to be or has been done. :(

I guess I'll have to wait until 2012 to see if the Sapphire gets the IC. I hope so!:D:D

I have recently completed one of my online webinars (for Princess Agents) and can confirm with 100% certainty that Diamond did NOT get the International Cafe/Piazza, and it did NOT get the Crown Grill.

Sapphire is due to get 4 upgrades when she gets her refit in 2012 (IC/Piazza, Sanctuary, Crown Grill, MUTS). Diamond is getting rescheduled for a 2nd refit in 2013 and will get IC/Piazza and Crown Grill then.

:(

I am not happy but will still enjoy the 29 days none the less.

Archived