RCI Radiance, Cabins, and Viewing Decks

JAKcruiser

We're looking at going to Alaska in June 2011 on the Radiance and trying to figure out which cabins to book. We're trying to balance our cabin choice with our budget. We decided our priority is spending money on excursions. If we book a cabin on the lower decks, where are the closest places to go outside to view the scenery? Will we have to go up to the highest decks for a view?

A few years ago we cruised on the Jewel of the Seas in a balcony cabin but I don't remember where the best views were. We loved the ship though and look forward to traveling on the Radiance.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Can't remember the floor where you can go out and view, think it is the same floor as the theater??so look on the ship's deck plan. However, be careful not to get so low that you are over an area like the engine room. We booked once on the last passenger deck and we had staff coming and going through a door close by and noise from the engine room below or at least close enough to our room that we got noise while sleeping and would never be that low again. It was not the Radiance but same would apply any ship I'm sure. :o

If I recall, the decks you walk around on are decks 5 & 11. We had a cabin on deck 4 once (midship) and it was really handy for a close walk to the dining room and centrum area. I would think it would also be handy for heading up the stairs to deck 5 for viewing.

We'll be on the 24th sailing. Can't wait.

Thanks so much for your responses and good advice.

Cheryl - If you're talking about the June 24th sailing, that's the one we're about to book. I'll be joining the Roll Call as soon as I do book. We usually get balconies but this time we're going to use the extra money to do all the excursions.

Thanks so much for your responses and good advice.

Cheryl - If you're talking about the June 24th sailing, that's the one we're about to book. I'll be joining the Roll Call as soon as I do book. We usually get balconies but this time we're going to use the extra money to do all the excursions.

Great! Yes, we're on June 24th. We are Eric, Cheryl, and Dustin (age 6).

We were supposed to be May 27, but it got cancelled for drydock. I'm so excited about the new eating venues they are adding during drydock.

Have fun planning your excursions. There are so many to pick from. I wish we could skip ahead of winter and be to June already. Ha!

that's the first I heard about drydock. I thought that was another year or two away. anyone have more details?:D

Radiance is going into drydock May 20 for about 3 weeks. They are replacing the azipods. But they are also adding about 5 food venues. Giovani's Italian, Rita's Cantina (mexican), Park Cafe (deli type sandwiches at the solarium), a Chef's Table, and Samba's (brazilion steakhouse). There's a thread on this over on the Royal Caribbean board.

Someone reported that the Giovani's will take the place of Portofino's. I believe I read that the Samba's is going in or near the Seaview Cafe. So my guess is Chops might be staying.

Oh, plus flat screen tv's also.

Archived