My review of the Carnival Freedom Oct. 31, 2010

disneyden

As I stated previously, the seas and wind were pretty rough after we left Cozumel. We went to an adult comedy show that night located in the International Lounge, which was very funny! Unfortunately, we had to leave after about 20 minutes due to the fact that I was getting VERY seasick. The International Lounge is on the 3rd floor and in the very back of the ship, which made for a very rocky ride. Once I got outside on the Lido Deck, I started felling better. Unfortunately, it had started raining and we couldn’t stay out there. We went to our room and hung out there the rest of the night since that was the only place that I didn’t get that sick feeling. I couldn't help but wonder how bad the ride would have been on a smaller ship. Since then, I have been told that there were 50 mph winds and there were 20 foot waves. Our cabin was located ten stories up and the ocean mists from the waves were hitting us while we were sitting on our balcony! Sea salt was all over our balcony including our chairs by the time we got back to port on Saturday.

We met some interesting couples during our 5+ hour wait at Port Everglades and saw them periodically during our cruise. Among them was this sweet young couple on their honeymoon. They sat with us on the Lido Deck and chatted for a while on the morning of our last sea day. My DH was telling them how bad the night before was for me. They were SO sweet that they gave me one of their seasickness patches. It took a couple of hours to start working, but after that, I was good to go! Man, I wish I had been able to put it on before we left Cozumel the day before! If there is any advice that I can give to you to prepare you for your cruise, this is it: Go get a prescription for these patches! I've been told that they are expensive, but well worth the price to me. I had Dramamine, but it didn’t help that night and it made me very sleepy.

Well, that’s all I have for my review of the Freedom and the ports. We had an absolutely wonderful time! We are planning another cruise sometime next summer and will most likely be going on the Freedom again because we were so impressed with her and the crew! We had talked about doing the 8 day cruise, but I’m thinking that I want to do this exact itinerary again so we can go to Jamaica to visit Dunn’s River Falls and Mystic Mountain.

If you have any questions, please ask. I’ll be happy to answer them if I can. Even though we had a rocky start with embarkation, we didn’t get to go to Jamaica, and the seas were pretty rough on the last sea day and night, I must say, this is BY FAR the best cruise I’ve been on! (Even though I’ve only been on four! LOL!) The Carnival Freedom is HUGE and so beautiful!

349.jpg

My son and DIL are on the Freedom right now, celebrating Pam's 50th birthday tomorrow. Your review and photos have helped me to feel as if I was there with them. It will be fun when they get back to find out if they found the banyan tree, and swam w/ the stingrays!!!!!!! BTW - if you are ever in Hilo, HI - they have a street totally lined w/ banyans. What an amazing sight!

Anyway, I just thought that it would make you smile to realize that your review helped this MIL to be with her family!!!!!!!!:)

My son and DIL are on the Freedom right now, celebrating Pam's 50th birthday tomorrow. Your review and photos have helped me to feel as if I was there with them. It will be fun when they get back to find out if they found the banyan tree, and swam w/ the stingrays!!!!!!! BTW - if you are ever in Hilo, HI - they have a street totally lined w/ banyans. What an amazing sight!

Anyway, I just thought that it would make you smile to realize that your review helped this MIL to be with her family!!!!!!!!:)

AWWW, thanks Fungusgnat! :D That's so sweet! I'm sure they are having a blast!

I would LOVE to visit Hawaii! I can only imagine how beautiful it is! My DH won't fly that far so I guess I can only dream about it.

As I said previously, we rented a golf cart so we could tour the island on "our time". Her's a couple of pictures of our cool ride!!:D

Where did you rent the golf cart from, how far is it from the dock? It's hard to tell from your picture does the golf cart hold 4 people, I can't tell if it has seats on the back? Also did you reserve this before arriving at Key West?

Thanks for your help, we will be on the Freedom in 10 DAYS!

Where did you rent the golf cart from, how far is it from the dock? It's hard to tell from your picture does the golf cart hold 4 people, I can't tell if it has seats on the back? Also did you reserve this before arriving at Key West?

We rented from a place on Duval Street after we arrived at the port. There were people on the dock renting them, but we thought we could get a cheaper price if we waited. It turns out that the price was the same. We rented a two seater, but I'm sure there are four seaters available.

Have fun on your cruise!! ;)

Loved the review. We did the Freedom last June (review is in my signature). One question for you...where did you park the little golf cart when you went to the southernmost point. We thought about renting one of the little carts, but did not know where we would park it when we stopped at various attractions, as parking seemed to be at a premium!

Thanks for the review!

I have to tell you, I really enjoyed the photos and your positive spin on everything. We've been considering this cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary, and wanted more info on the Panorama deck as I get seasick at times. Also, was curious about the location and how quiet/busy the area was. Thank you.

You said you drove 11 hours from Alabama. Did you do that in one day? How was the drive back?

Loved the review. We did the Freedom last June (review is in my signature). One question for you...where did you park the little golf cart when you went to the southernmost point. We thought about renting one of the little carts, but did not know where we would park it when we stopped at various attractions, as parking seemed to be at a premium!

Thanks for the review! You're welcome! ;)

Thanks pcrum! There were a couple of empty parking spaces right down the road from it. We had some issues finding parking at some of the attractions, but had no trouble at the southernmost point or Higgs Beach.

I can't wait to read your review!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a good review and posting the pictures. Each cruise I take, I say that I'm going to post a review, but never get up the nerve.

Go ahead. Let me know if you decide to and I'll be the first one to read it!! ;)

I have to tell you, I really enjoyed the photos and your positive spin on everything. We've been considering this cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary, and wanted more info on the Panorama deck as I get seasick at times. Also, was curious about the location and how quiet/busy the area was. Thank you.

You said you drove 11 hours from Alabama. Did you do that in one day? How was the drive back?

Thank you pjspin! The Panorama Deck was great! I didn't have any trouble with seasickness while in the room or on the balcony. Our room was right by the doorway to the Lido Deck. It was towards the back of the forward section. (Does that make sense??) I would say that it was closer to the middle of the ship than the front of it. It was quiet and not very busy at all. I could hear the Lido Deck music from my balcony at times, but it wasn't bad at all.

Yes. We drove it all in one day. We left around 3:00 a.m. that morning so we could be there in time to go visit South Beach Miami. The drive back was LONG...for my DH. I slept about 7 out of the 11 hours. :D When we got home, I said, "The drive home wasn't that bad!" He just looked at me with disgust. It was SO funny!!

Hey cpprinttom. I was reading someone elses review of the Freedom and they rented a 4-seater golf cart in Key West, so they are available. The amount was the same a mine...$100.00 for 4 hours. ;)

OH...I'm SO jealous!! We didn't have any problems with this room at all. I could hear the music from the Lido Deck at times while on the balcony, but it was never too loud. I actually enjoyed it. Access to the rest of the ship is VERY easy. You will only be a few steps from the Lido Deck as well as the elevator to get to everything else. If you walk all the way down the hall towards the front of the ship, turn right, and go out the door; you will find a deck that is on the very front of the ship. Not many people know about this deck. Shhh...don't tell anybody. I want it to still be private when we return for our next cruise. LOL! :D If you have the same Stewart as we did, you will LOVE him! He's wonderful. We were VERY spoiled by the time we got off of the ship!

Oh! You just put my mind at ease.. We are in cabin 1063 in January and worried about being too far forward and the noise. This is the first review I've seen with a cabin this close! Thanks!

~Debbie

Hey Disneyden ----- I loved your review AND all your great pictures. Since we were on the same cruise --- did I meet you both at the meet & greet in the 70's lounge?

Thaks for your comment about my movie posting! Funny how you ended up in one of the pictures we took in the port terminal!

Not to steal from your review but one of your responders asked about renting a 4 seater electric cart. ---- Yes, I reserved one several months in advance from: A&M Scooters http://amscooterskeywest.com/about.html

They came to the pier and picked us up/dropped us off. $99 for 4 hours

Oliver

Hey Disneyden ----- I loved your review AND all your great pictures. Since we were on the same cruise --- did I meet you both at the meet & greet in the 70's lounge?

Thaks for your comment about my movie posting! Funny how you ended up in one of the pictures we took in the port terminal!

Not to steal from your review but one of your responders asked about renting a 4 seater electric cart. ---- Yes, I reserved one several months in advance from: A&M Scooters http://amscooterskeywest.com/about.html

They came to the pier and picked us up/dropped us off. $99 for 4 hours

Oliver

We arrived at the meet and greet a little late. By the time we got there, everyone was already talking to each other. We stayed for a few minutes and then left. It looked like you all were having a good time meeting each other, though. :)

Thanks for responding about the 4-seater electric cart. If we rent one the next time we visit, we will probably rent one from them.

Here is a picture of the Freedom and Elation docked beside each other in Cozumel.

354.jpg

twoboats2.jpg

I love your review!! ;) You and your DH look like you have alot of fun together...that's nice! Thanks for posting some pics of the Elation. We will be sailing on her in February! I am starting to get VERY exited :D

I love your review!! ;) You and your DH look like you have alot of fun together...that's nice! Thanks for posting some pics of the Elation. We will be sailing on her in February! I am starting to get VERY exited :D

We do!! :D Have fun on your cruise. ;)

Archived