2011 Honeymoon cruise

Sam22

Which cruise?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise?

• Depart Tampa aboard the Legend
    • Depart Fort Lauderdale aboard the Freedom

Hello! This summer my fiancée and I are going to take a cruise for our honeymoon, which will be a first for us. I've narrowed it down to two different cruise options, and I'm just hoping for some advice for those who have gone before me about which option might be the best. Option 1 is to leave Tampa on the Carnival Legend and Option 2 is to depart from Fort Lauderdale aboard the Carnival Freedom. Now we place to spend a few extra days before the cruise in whichever city we end up going to since we've never been to Florida before. Is one city "more fun"? Which has better hotels? Is one more significantly more expensive? As for the cruise themselves, the itineraries are the same and we'd be happy with either, so the biggest difference would be the ship. Does anyone have a particular preference for one ship over the other? Is there anything speical about one that makes it more suited to a honeymoon style vacation?

Anyways, that is it. Thanks a lot!:rolleyes:

My personal favorite is the Legend...just sailed her for the 3rd time. She is a little smaller than Freedom...easier to navigate and feels less crowded than the conquest class ships. Staff is wonderful. The aft Lido deck is open to the ocean and a great place to sit and be romantic at nite. Tampa tends to be less expensive hotel and flight wise. The port is very efficient. Debarkation is quick and painless. As far as Florida goes, I also prefer the Gulf Coast (that's where we started our honeymoon)...beautiful sunsets and you can go over to the islands which are around there.

That being said, however, if you are big disco fans, I would prefer the disco on the Freedom...better layout.

Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon and I'm sure you will love whichever ship you pick:D If I can answer any questions on the Legend for you, feel free to ask!

I live in Florida and it really depends what you are interested in. Tampa has Busch Gardens which is a theme park that is fun and then Orlando the main city is about 45mins away where Disney, Universal and water parks are located. Tampa itself is not too much do.

Fort Lauderdale is near Miami and has nice restaurants. Miami has nice hotels and always something to do. But it really depends what your looking for. Whether it be historical, theme parks, dancing, clubing.

I just sailed on the Legend last month and Loved it. It was our favorite ship we've been on yet. I haven't sailed on the Freedom but I have sailed on the Glory which is a sister ship to the Freedom. Although each ship had its ups and downs we still ended up likeing the Legend more and we personally love its smaller size compared to the larger conquest class ships.

As for what port would be better to leave out of my vote goes to Tampa. Mainly for its close proximity to Orlando. I don't know what your budget is but you can make a mini vacation before or after your cruise in one the resorts in Orlando (Disney, Universal, ect.) We did this on our last 2 cruise (one leaving from tampa one from Port Canaveral) and we would fly in a few days before the cruise and spend a few days in the parks. Click my reviews in my signature for ideas of a pre-cruise vacation.

Congrates on your soon to be marriage. You won't be dissapointed in whatever you chose.

Both ships are great! I like both Ft Lauderdale and Tampa. I have been on the Freedom and loved it! The Legend is the ship, that I am eyeing for my 2011 cruise.

I dont think you can go wrong with either. Maybe it will come down to ports of call, and port of departure. But I think you cant go wrong with either.:)

I think my vote is for the Legend. Here's why:

• Even though Ft. Lauderdale/Miami is a more popular tourist destination, I consider Tampa to be a wonderful departure point. Great beaches, attractions, and much more laid back. The area around the port, including the Aquarium and Ybor City are great tourist areas.

• The Legend is smaller and older than the Freedom, but at the same time, it's more intimate and elegant than the Freedom. For a honeymoon, the Legend may be the better choice.

• The itinerary out of Tampa which includes Grand Cayman, Belize and Roatan is excellent. You'll appreciate thse destinations. Great beaches, snorkeling, and many other attractions!

My vote would be for the Legend out of Tampa. My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon on the Legend in 2007, and sailed on her again in 2009. Once our son is old enough (he's due sometime next month) we plan on taking him as well.

The ship itself is easy to get around, and you don't notice how many people are actually on the ship. Our favourite spot was the Unicorn Pool and Bar. Every morning, we'd eat our breakfast out there. When we sailed on the Freedom last Nov we found the layout to be a little frustrating at times, and it always felt crowded.

Tampa is such a nice, relaxing city. There's LOTS to do! In 2009, we came in a day early and went to the aquarium and a Rays baseball game.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

what about the port itself. I kinda looks like Fort Lauderdale has better selection of hotels. We can to stay either somewhere big and fancy or a rommantic boutqiue style hotel. Anyone have a suggestion about which port city is better for that? Thanks again for all the comments!

what about the port itself. I kinda looks like Fort Lauderdale has better selection of hotels. We can to stay either somewhere big and fancy or a rommantic boutqiue style hotel. Anyone have a suggestion about which port city is better for that? Thanks again for all the comments!

The Tampa area, being Gulf side, has gorgeous sunsets...very romantic. Since you're on your honeymoon, maybe consider staying in St Pete, Anna Maria Island, or the like to get that really romantic beachside feeling. We started our honeymoon on Anna Maria island for a few days and it was wonderful! Quiet, laid back, romantic! Much preferred it over the hustle and bustle of a larger city:) Rent a car and then drive back to port...probably about a 25 minute drive (if memory serves:o).

i vote the freedom,

generally because i enjoy the larger ship. i have never been on either ship, but sailed the sister ships of both ( miracle, and valor/glory). i also prefer the east coast of florida (partially because i have a home on the southwest coast) ft lauderdale has lovely hotels, beaches, an intercoastal waterway where you can take water taxies to shops, restaurants, bars and hotels. i prefer the set up of the dance club and piano bar on the larger freedom. if you are into gambling, you can travel to the hardrock hollywood if staying in ft lauderdale.

tampa is near busch gardens ( large roller coaster rides-i enjoyed it) and ive seen stunning photos of the ships traveling under the sunshine skyway bridge (part of the reason i want to sail out of tampa at some point)

so i guess really you couldnt go wrong either way, its just a matter of what you are looking for in regards to entertainment (as somone prior mentioned)

we haven't made up our minds yet, but I think we are going to go with the legend...in fact I was going to book it online but the website is down right now! Is there any advantage to booking over the phone rather than online? thanks!

Book in person as you can tell them exactly what is going on (honeymoon).

I would also say it would be dependent on the itinerary for me. I think their Eastern Carib with a stop at Halfmoon Cay would be the best honeymoon itinerary (Halfmoon, Grand Turk, St Thomas or St Marteen, San Juan).

Just my $.02 worth.

If you decide to sail the Legend, here is a suggestion for a great pre-cruise hotel on St.Pete Bch. www.aldenbeachresort.com We have stayed here several times. All of the rooms are suites that include a separate bedroom, kitchenette, dining and living room area. The hotel has lots to offer in the way of pools, hot tubs, cabana bar, water toy rentals etc... The room rates are great and there are many restaurants within walking distance. We love the option to have the kitchenette so we can eat breakfast there and then hit the beach. There is a Publix near by and we have also hit their deli and stocked-up the frige so we didn't have to venture too far away from the beach. There are many room options but the ones with the King beds are the Bermuda suites which are a little lower in price as they overlook either the pool or a garden area. The Antigua suites are a little larger and overlook the Beach and Gulf of Mexico.

Here are the 2 restaurants that we enjoy the most. Silas Dent's Steakhouse, Ask to sit in the "Crows Nest" It is a table for 2 and has the best view ever. http://www.silasdentsteakhouse.com Also the Compass Grille, Nice atmosphere and great prices. http://www.compassgrille.com

Have a great Honeymoon. We sailed the Legend in Oct and had a great time, You will love it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived